PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Miami overpaying for Long?

Anyong Bluth
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I know he's the top guy at his position this year, and they might have had no option in moving back, but I think Joe Thomas, last year's #3 pick to Cleveland, IIRC, will be a better pro, and knowing Condon, Miami is going to pay quite the pretty penny...

The contract is for five years and $57.75 million, with $30 million guaranteed.

Just not sure if he's a #1 overall worth it pick. Really thought they'd go with Howie's kid or one of the D-lineman...

Yes, No?

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Any other year, hes probably not a #1 pick, but since there is no consensus #1, it has to be somebody. Lucky him!

bowener
04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Any other year, hes probably not a #1 pick, but since there is no consensus #1, it has to be somebody. Lucky him!

Good point. At least we dont have to listen to ESPN discussing the #1 overall holding out again. Also, how does this shape up the rest of the draft in terms of signings... price wise and time wise. With the #1 guy signed, will it be easier to sign the rest since they all know right out of the gate what the 'best' got?

kcchiefsus
04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
He signed for less than Jamarcus Russell got last year which I think is good.

Molitoth
04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
That is way too much money for an unproven NFL player. I hope we never get a first round pick to waste on a bust.

Molitoth
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
You could feed an entire African country for months with McChicken's with those numbers.

Mecca
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
He signed for less than Jamarcus Russell got last year which I think is good.

He's also not a QB...

That is still a ridiculous price to pay a OT for that kinda coin he should be one of the best that ever suited up.

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
well that ends a lot of speculation. I hope that the other Long is there for the Chiefs!

Smed1065
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I hope we never get a first round pick to waste on a bust.

I have faith we can do that with #5 even.

:cuss:

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
He's also not a QB...

That is still a ridiculous price to pay a OT for that kinda coin he should be one of the best that ever suited up.

Doesnt the NBA have a rookie salary scale?? Couldnt the NFL do that? Or would the unions not agree to it?

Id be insulted if i was a vet tackle who worked my butt off for years, but still dont make that much.

Mecca
04-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Doesnt the NBA have a rookie salary scale?? Couldnt the NFL do that? Or would the unions not agree to it?

They'd probably never agree to it, the max NBA rookie contract is 3 mill so you basically have to earn your 2nd. I could imagine the players union having a fit at money being taking out of the game and players wouldn't like it either because of how short the average players career is.

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 03:37 PM
He's also not a QB...

I'd pay Joe Thomas that kind of coin right now

Coach
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
He's also not a QB...

Even that, the $ the Raiders shelled out to Russell is deftinaly "overpaying" for the QB position.

dj56dt58
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I was wanting Long earlier..but theres just something about him that says bust

keg in kc
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
It's kind of difficult to judge whether they overpaid or not without knowing what the other picks they were interested in drafting were asking for.

Either way, they must feel pretty strongly to take him #1, even in a class like this one without a clearly-defined top player.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
It's kind of difficult to judge whether they overpaid or not without knowing what the other picks they were interested in drafting were asking for.

Either way, they must feel pretty strongly to take him #1, even in a class like this one without a clearly-defined top player.

Interestingly enough, Tom Condon is also the agent for Matt Ryan and Vernon Gholston.

vailpass
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
$30 million gauranteed before you have done a single day's work?
I just came in my pants.

Mecca
04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Interestingly enough, Tom Condon is also the agent for Matt Ryan and Vernon Gholston.

Condon has something like 4 of the top 6 guys.

jidar
04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
No they didn't.
Each year the players expect each position in the draft to increase in costs. Since he got less than the #1 pick last year then he probably wasn't overpaid.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Condon has something like 4 of the top 6 guys.

Good God, Thats incredible.

Agents are the devil. These dudes get incredibly wealthy all because most players cant negotiate themselves. I wonder how much of a percentage agents get of a players paycheck?

suds79
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM

He's probably a pretty safe pick.

Mel Kiper brought up an interesting point about drafting a top notch Tackle. What's the worse that could happen if he stinks at Tackle? You move him to Guard where he'll be serviceable.

Now would that be ideal? Certainly not. But at least you'd get some type of production out of him.

If you miss on a WR or QB for example, you're screwed.

Not saying you base your draft on that but it is an option.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
. What's the worse that could happen if he stinks at Tackle? You move him to Guard where he'll be serviceable.

Wow, Trezelle Jenkins must have just been horrendous...

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Good God, Thats incredible.

Agents are the devil. These dudes get incredibly wealthy all because most players cant negotiate themselves. I wonder how much of a percentage agents get of a players paycheck?

Its cheaper to hire a lawyer instead of an agent. I'm suprised more of these guys dont do that.

StcChief
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I have faith we can do that with #5 even.

:cuss:that's what I'm afraid of.... Herm prove us wrong.

eazyb81
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
They'd probably never agree to it, the max NBA rookie contract is 3 mill so you basically have to earn your 2nd. I could imagine the players union having a fit at money being taking out of the game and players wouldn't like it either because of how short the average players career is.

I think eventually they are going to agree to give concessions on the rookie contracts in order to get more guarantees on contracts for active players.

Say what you want about players being overpaid, but it's kind of BS that players from the most violent pro sport are the only ones that don't have guaranteed deals.

evolve27
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM

I was thinking the same. He seems slow on his gametape, and against speed DE's. I hope I'm not making up stuff to pacify myself. Dammit Miami and Carl!

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
uh yes they are overpaying u never pay 57 mill to a rook but miami has money up the butt so its their deal

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 04:46 PM
uh yes they are overpaying u never pay 57 mill to a rook but miami has money up the butt so its their deal

You were all over Long's junk yesterday

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
its called im pissed at the fact that we didnt get jake...i think it is bs to sign him this early in the week, makes the draft less exciting!