PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Affordable Golf Courses in KC area?

BWillie
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I used to be a big time golfer. Played 5 days a week, even played in college. Now I play like 3-4 times a year. I've grown accustomed to playing at Ironhorse in Leawood. Great course with competitive rates ($30 for as many holes as you can play after 5 pm). I like to play at night and the twilight and evening greats are great. Only problem is they are closed until Memorial Day.

Have some old golf pals coming to town this weekend that want to hit the links. Where is some where nice but affordable preferably around Shawnee? Anybody have any ideas? Only looking to spend like 30-45 dollars including cart.

Silock
04-22-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.opkansas.org/_Res/Parks_and_Recreation/Golf/OP_Golf_Club/index.cfm

Affordable for sure. I know it's a public course, but it really is a pretty good facility. Every time I go there, I enjoy it. Might be too cheap for what you're looking for, but I dig it.

thebrad84
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Ever played Eagle Bend in Lawrence? Really nice course, especially early in the year (Things go south when it gets to be 100+ outside, they usually lose a couple fairways). Anyways, very reasonable rates, $38 for 18 w/ cart. Very open on the front, closes up a bit on the back. Pretty fun course to play with friends who are average golfers who hit and pray off the tee.

thebrad84
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
The problem I find with O.P. is they have a LOT of older golfers who play out there and they allow 5-sums. Last couple times I've been out there, it has been painfully slow. Other than that, it is usually in pretty good shape as well. I'd definitely recommend Eagle Bend over O.P. though, especially during a weekend outing.

Silock
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
The problem I find with O.P. is they have a LOT of older golfers who play out there and they allow 5-sums. Last couple times I've been out there, it has been painfully slow. Other than that, it is usually in pretty good shape as well. I'd definitely recommend Eagle Bend over O.P. though, especially during a weekend outing.

Yeah, that's true, but I've found most people will let you play through, especially older golfers, if you're nice about asking.

Skip Towne
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Have you played Alvamar in Lawrence? Good track, zoysia grass fairways. I don't remember the cost. See their website.

SLAG
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Smilies out on k10

http://www.smileysgolf.com/Course.htm