PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jared Allen is a Viking

Pages : [1] 2

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
According to Adam Sheffter of NFLN.

Just saw on the ticker.

Chiefs receive the Vikings 1st round pick (17) and both 3rd round picks (73,82) in the 2008 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/

-----

EDIT - Jay Glazer says we will also swap picks in the 6th round. Per KFFL:

Vikings | Team acquires J. Allen, agrees to terms on contract
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:13 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms on a contract with Kansas City Chiefs DE Jared Allen. The Vikings will give the Chiefs their 2008 first-round draft pick, two third-round picks and the teams will swap sixth-round picks with the Vikings acquiring Allen. Allen has also agreed to terms on a six-year deal worth just under $74 million with $31,000,069 guaranteed. No. 69 is his jersey number.

CanadaKC
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
The Vikings offered 3 1st rounders...but Carl settled for a long snapper and a dozen donuts....mmmm...donuts...

Huffman83
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Here's to hoping for this years 1st and 2nd...and next years 1st from the Vikings.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
No details aahhh cmon!

Count Alex's Losses
This is going to be a fun draft.

Dicky McElephant
My honest non-homer guess would be a 1st and 3rd this year....and a conditional pick next year.

KCChiefsMan
it's a damn shame we have to lose the best player we've drafted this decade. I guess I have to make sense of this some how, he's 1 strike away and may refuse to sign a long term deal with us.

OnTheWarpath58
Here's to hoping for this years 1st and 2nd...and next years 1st from the Vikings.

Here's to whatever you're smoking, it must be tremendous shit.

Skip Towne
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Good luck with that.

Hays
done with minny?
i was seeing the eagles jumped in, i wondered if we used them to get more leverage.

Count Alex's Losses
No details aahhh cmon!

I'm sure we'll have something tomorrow. Better get to bed...gonna be a busy day.

Dicky McElephant
it's a damn shame we have to lose the best player we've drafted this decade. I guess I have to make sense of this some how, he's 1 strike away and may refuse to sign a long term deal with us. It's only a good trade for us if we draft 2 future probowlers this draft.

I'd be happy with 1 probowler and a quality starter.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm sure we'll have something tomorrow. Better get to bed...gonna be a busy day.

Of course you will.

So will every other media outlet.

88TG88

please Jesus

KCChiefsMan
I'd be happy with 1 probowler and a quality starter.

ya, I edited the last part out. I retract that, it's a good trade for us if JA gets a DUI and since he probably won't sign a long term deal with us anyways, it's a good deal for us in that aspect.

Huffman83
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh I know it won't happen that way. But that's the only way I feel better about it until I see what happens w/ those picks.

I bet the Chiefs only got a 1st and 3rd.

petegz28
Either way Ceepee has managed to chase off another top-notch player. For whatever reason this man just can't seem to get out of his own way...

Tait
T-Rich
Lilja
Lack of action on Roaf
Allen

Count Alex's Losses
Of course you will.

So will every other media outlet.

It'd be nice if we broke it. We'll see. If we do, I want some props. Probably won't get 'em.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh I know it won't happen that way. But that's the only way I feel better about it until I see what happens w/ those picks.

I bet the Chiefs only got a 1st and 3rd.

And even then, it's better than the nothing they would have received had they tagged him and he walked in a year or two.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
It'd be nice if we broke it. We'll see. If we do, I want some props. Probably won't get 'em.

If you had the sources you claim to have, you'd already have it.

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Either way Ceepee has managed to chase off another top-notch player. For whatever reason this man just can't seem to get out of his own way...

Tait
T-Rich
Lilja
Lack of action on Roaf
Allen

hmmm, I'm sure every team has a list like that. But hell, I hate Carl anyways

petegz28
And even then, it's better than the nothing they would have received had they tagged him and he walked in a year or two.

Who says he would of walked? I read he would of stayed had a long term deal been done by July.

But we can't have Carl looking like a player got the best of him can we? :cuss:

Count Alex's Losses

Yeah we just make shit up. You got me.

Dicky McElephant
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Tait
T-Rich
Lilja
Lack of action on Roaf
Allen

Tait yes.

T-Rich was just him being old. Could we have signed him for the same price? Yeah we could have....but we didn't. That might be half of CP and half of Edwards not wanting an old FB.

Lilja.....ummm.....we really didn't go after anyone in FA. So I'm not blaming him for that one.

Roaf.....sure I'll blame him for not having something in place for that.

Allen....I think I might actually side with CP on this one. Allen has himself to blame for where this has gone for the most part. Don't get two DUIs in less than a year....and you get a fat contract.

petegz28
hmmm, I'm sure every team has a list like that. But hell, I hate Carl anyways

Yeah but Carl it seems has had some direct impact via his ego on all of those.

I mean you look at that and it isn't a hard guess as to why we haven't won in the playoffs since Montana.

Micjones
The Vikings last offer was First & Third Round picks in 2008 and a Second Round pick in 2009.

I'd expect that at the very least.

stlchiefs
Better get to bed...gonna be a busy day.

BS your mom is yelling at you again.

I'll give credit where credit is due. If you drop the CORRECT and UNambiguous info before anyone else, anyone not wearing rose colored glasses will give you credit.

Mile High Mania

ROFL Nick is waiting for the ticker update on NFLN from Adam Schefter...

Huffman83
I agree completely....it just sucks that's all. And I do blame Carl.

But this wasn't a stupid move. If it is a 1st and 3rd rounder this year, that's not too bad for a guy drafted as a long snapper.

Huffman83
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree completely....it just sucks that's all. And I do blame Carl.

But this wasn't a stupid move. If it is a 1st and 3rd rounder this year, that's not too bad for a guy drafted as a long snapper.

OnTheWarpath58
Who says he would of walked? I read he would of stayed had a long term deal been done by July.

But we can't have Carl looking like a player got the best of him can we? :cuss:

Welcome to months ago.

He doesn't want to be here. He asked to be traded LAST year as well.

The Chiefs were not going to sign him to a Freeney-like deal. Period.

It looks like he took a bit less to play for a team that has a chance to compete for the next few years.

Good for him, good for us.

petegz28
Tait yes.

T-Rich was just him being old. Could we have signed him for the same price? Yeah we could have....but we didn't. That might be half of CP and half of Edwards not wanting an old FB.

Lilja.....ummm.....we really didn't go after anyone in FA. So I'm not blaming him for that one.

Roaf.....sure I'll blame him for not having something in place for that.

Allen....I think I might actually side with CP on this one. Allen has himself to blame for where this has gone for the most part. Don't get two DUIs in less than a year....and you get a fat contract.

Yeah why pay Allen who lead the league in sacks when we have LJ who wont even play?

Deberg_1990
Sweet! Stockpile those picks!

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah but Carl it seems has had some direct impact via his ego on all of those.

I mean you look at that and it isn't a hard guess as to why we haven't won in the playoffs since Montana.

don't get me wrong, I hate Carl.

OnTheWarpath58
The Vikings last offer was First & Third Round picks in 2008 and a Second Round pick in 2009.

IF those reports were correct.

morphius
Okay, this does it, I officially feel sorry to TG. Before this I figured we had something to build around on both sides of the ball that in a couple years we could improve, but right now. ugh.

petegz28
Welcome to months ago.

He doesn't want to be here. He asked to be traded LAST year as well.

The Chiefs were not going to sign him to a Freeney-like deal. Period.

It looks like he took a bit less to play for a team that has a chance to compete for the next few years.

Good for him, good for us.

How is this good for us? We lost the leading sacker in the league. The risk is obviously not so bad if other teams are willing to take it.

Then again other teams actually want to win.

petegz28
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Seems we are foregoing getting better for the sake of getting younger.

then again this is Carl so we can't be younger and better. Has to be one or the other.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm sure the chiefs took a Osi Umonyorugh dump on the chest

Micjones
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM

Indeed, but that was fairly well reported, no?
That would be a pretty big gaff on the source's part if it wasn't.

Sure-Oz

I really think he would've been signed if we didn't make the mistake of paying LJ. At the same time JA doesn't want to be here either now, it's pointless to franchise him and hope he stays one extra year and then watch him run the first chance he gets. This might be the best time to get the most we can.

OnTheWarpath58
How is this good for us? We lost the leading sacker in the league. The risk is obviously not so bad if other teams are willing to take it.

You're a moron.

If Jared Allen is so great and carries no risk with his off the field behavior, why did we only get an offer from ONE of the other THIRTY-ONE teams in the league?

It says a lot about his perceived value around the league.

NO ONE ELSE thought he was worth more than a 1st/3rd.

Take the homer glasses off.

Count Alex's Losses
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM

They're not. We made them up. You gullible fools bought it hook, line and sinker.

88TG88

We weren't going to win, with or without Allen, for many many years. At least we moved him to the NFC and,hopefully, got some sweet picks.

KCChiefsMan

Allen is young, grrrr. Allen better get a DUI (as long as he doesn't hurt anybody) so I can be lessed pi$$ed off. Unless Allen has quietly said that he will not sign a long term deal, losing an elite DE sucks. Oh well, what can we do.

Mizzou_8541

Just saw on the ticker.

Deal to be finalized Wednesday, no talk of compensation.

Pretty sure this will make me a "homer" (whatever that means) but what do you mean it's done in principle? The contract between JA and the vikes is done and the trade compensation isn't?

OnTheWarpath58
Indeed, but that was fairly well reported, no?
That would be a pretty big gaff on the source's part if it wasn't.

True, but they all seem to credit the same source.

I guess we'll see tomorrow - maybe something will leak tongiht.

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM

go to WPI, stay there....this isn't WPI, no one here cares about soft bitches like you...

jesus lord, those losers at WPI PAY to listen you....take your fat virgin ass home, dough boy...

there hasn't been a single ****ing day here, since Phobia was hired, that some WPI Employee hasn't bled from their vag all over the Planet...

recxjake
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Do the Insiders at WPI have any idea?

recxjake
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
go to WPI, stay there....this isn't WPI, no one here cares about soft bitches like you...

jesus lord, those losers at WPI PAY to listen you....take your fat virgin ass home, dough boy...

there hasn't been a single ****ing day here, since Phobia was hired, that some WPI Employee hasn't bled from their vag all over the Planet...

Rep.

OnTheWarpath58
Pretty sure this will make me a "homer" (whatever that means) but what do you mean it's done in principle? The contract between JA and the vikes is done and the trade compensation isn't?

It means we've agreed to trade Allen to the Vikings.

No more, no less.

Compensation hasn't been released yet.

Count Alex's Losses

Nope.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM

The deal is agreed upon including compensation

Homer=thinking your players are the best out there/team without putting facts into play...like saying LJ is the best RB in the nfl etc etc for example

MIAdragon
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
They're not. We made them up. You gullible fools bought it hook, line and sinker.

go to bed.

markk
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
glad to hear it. take the pics and run. give jared a bottle of scotch as a going away present

Micjones
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
True, but they all seem to credit the same source.

I guess we'll see tomorrow - maybe something will leak tongiht.

Hopefully so.
I'm dying to know.

At least this gives the Chiefs time to figure out where they're going to go with their 5th overall pick. I'm not sure that I don't trade down and acquire additional draft picks.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I bet the idiots who paid Allen to have his name on their bar are feeling really smart right now.

SBK
04-22-2008, 10:02 PM

LMAO

Let him know how you feel.

Sure-Oz
I bet the idiots who paid Allen to have his name on their bar are feeling really smart right now.

Jared Allens sports bar and grill? The co-owner is one of his best friends apparently, i assume it will stay put

ChiefsCountry
Hopefully so.
I'm dying to know.

At least this gives the Chiefs time to figure out where they're going to go with their 5th overall pick. I'm not sure that I don't trade down and acquire additional draft picks.

12 picks is enough, unless we get blown away by some offer we dont need to be trading down.

KCChiefsMan
I sure hope that Turk McBride got a lot better as well as Tank. Then this trade wouldn't be that bad

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Hopefully so.
I'm dying to know.

I HOPE it doesn't change their thinking.

If we fill some of the other 17 holes we have, and leave DE as a bit of a hole, so be it.

It's a 3-4 year process, we can't do it all at once.

morphius
yeah that poor guy with his millions of dollars, dream job, and hot wife. . must suck to be him
Well, come the first blackout I'll be feeling sorry for me.

Dicky McElephant
God I love how people bitch because we traded a guy who was ONE STRIKE away from being suspended for awhile.

Take the picks and draft people who WANT to be here.

Mile High Mania

:doh!: Quote of the decade... ROFL

stlchiefs
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Don't hold back now. Let him know how you really feel. ROFL

recxjake
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Now just trade Wesley!

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
God I love how people bitch because we traded a guy who was ONE STRIKE away from being suspended for awhile.

it might have something to do with the fact that he's the best player we've drafted this entire decade and elite DE's are hard to find.

markk
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
he demanded a trade. he got one.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
12 picks is enough, unless we get blown away by some offer we dont need to be trading down.

Agreed. They have enough picks now. They need to pick a true potential impact player at number 5. Matt Ryan baby!

petegz28

K when you see him leading the league in sacks again and in the playoffs you remember that.

Chiefnj2

risk losing one of the league's top DE's for a year, or lose him for the next 6 years... hmmm.

petegz28
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Agreed. They have enough picks now. They need to pick a true potential impact player at number 5.

HA! ROFL

This will be the biggest screwing we get from King Carl on his way out the door. He knows he won't be here to see a team worth a shit.

Mile High Mania
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by recxjake http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4701242#post4701242)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nope.

ROFL

the Talking Can
Now just trade Wesley!

still can't believe Carl turned down a damn 4th....

Dicky McElephant
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
K when you see him leading the league in sacks again and in the playoffs you remember that.

Yeah I'll remember that when he's next to two stud DTs and beating the shitty ass NFC North teams.

I'm sure Jared Allen is crying right now for all of the Chiefs fans who's hearts are broken. HE demanded a trade....HE demanded a new contract......HE DROVE DRUNK TWICE.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM

How many times do we have to go over this?? Hes not getting traded because he sucks. We all know he can still play.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM

If it wasnt the Donks they probably would have took it.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
risk losing one of the league's top DE's for a year, or lose him for the next 6 years... hmmm.

Enough with the drama.

You know damn well he wasn't going to sign long term here.

We would have had him for 2 years under the tag, then he would have walked.

He wanted to be traded LAST year.

He asked again, Carl granted his wish.

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Vikings acquire Pro Bowl defensive end
April 22nd, 2008 – 9:59 PM by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings have got their man.

According to people with knowledge of the situation, the team has reached an agreement to acquire Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen from the Kansas City Chiefs and also have agreed to a multiyear contract with Allen. The NFL Network also is reporting what amounts to a trade-and-sign for the Vikings.

The trade will be finalized Wednesday; Allen will return to the Twin Cities either late tonight or early Wednesday. It’s not certain yet if the Vikings will hold a news conference on Wednesday.

Although terms of the agreement haven’t been revealed, the Vikings are expected to send their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) and their first selection in the third round (No. 72) in this weekend’s NFL draft to the Chiefs. The Vikings had acquired the later pick in a trade with the Denver Broncos. It’s also possible the Vikings could send another pick to Kansas City.

Allen, who led the NFL with 15.5 sacks last season, spent last Friday and Saturday visiting the Vikings’ Winter Park facility along with his agent, Ken Harris.

The Chiefs had designated Allen as their franchise player - that tag would have earned him $8.8 million next season, the average salary of the NFL’s five highest-paid defensive ends - but Allen wanted to leave Kansas City and was allowed to talk to other teams.

The Vikings could have signed Allen to an offer sheet, but the Chiefs would have had the right to match or been entitled to two first-round draft picks. Working out a trade was Minnesota’s desire throughout this process.

Allen’s contract is expected to rival the record deal the Colts gave defensive end Dwight Freeney last summer. Freeney is due to make $72 million over six years and received $30 million guaranteed.

Defensive end has been considered the Vikings’ biggest area of need this offseason. Erasmus James, a first-round pick in 2005, has been slowed the past two seasons by knee injuries and it’s uncertain exactly when he will be ready to go in 2008. Starting right end Kenechi Udeze, meanwhile, was diagnosed with leukemia in February and is expected to sit out the coming season.

The Vikings had hoped to sign an end in free agency but their top choice, Justin Smith, ended up joining San Francisco. Antwan Odom jumped from Tennessee to Cincinnati and Jevon Kearse decided to return to the Titans rather than visit with the Vikings.

Minnesota also had very quietly targeted the 26-year-old Allen for several months. He will be used at the right end spot, meaning he will be rushing from the blindside of most quarterbacks. Ray Edwards, the starter for the majority of last season at right end, could shift to the left side.

The lack of a first-round pick won’t be a huge issue for the Vikings considering it was expected they were going to take a defensive end with that selection. Florida’s Derrick Harvey was believed to be their top choice, but Clemson’s Phillip Merling also could have ended up being in the mix.

Allen’s biggest issue has been his off-the-field behavior. He was suspended for the first four games of 2007 after being arrested twice for drunken driving the previous year. That suspension was later reduced to two games and Allen has said in interviews that he no longer drinks alcohol.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday the team has done a significant amount of checking into Allen’s background.

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

petegz28
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
How many times do we have to go over this?? Hes not getting traded because he sucks. We all know he can still play.

Yea, he is getting traded because of an ego in our front office.

A possible suspension vs. a good 6-7 years still in him.

Yea let's gamble on someone else that has not proven shit.

noa
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I'm happy its finally over. Seems like the timing was right. It sucks to lose a guy like that, but it's what we had to do.
I've come to terms with it, and I realize it has nothing to do with his talent or the direction of a team. And I actually do believe he has changed and won't get another DUI (call me naive).
It was just about a guy with a troubled history asking for tons of money from a team with no security if he messes up again. And we aren't exactly in the position to handle that sort of mistake.

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
If it wasnt the Donks they probably would have took it.

no excuse for not taking it...we're rebuilding, Wesley's best years are behind him

that was a gift...and Carl refused it....insanely stupid

QuikSsurfer
I was really hoping to play as him with the Chiefs in Madden 09

recxjake

I actually feel bad for Wesley... the Chiefs are just being evil by not letting him explore other options. A 7th round pick is better then just releasing the guy at the end of camp IMO.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:13 PM

God, you're a moron.

IT'S ALL CARL'S FAULT!

KCChiefsMan
HA! ROFL

This will be the biggest screwing we get from King Carl on his way out the door. He knows he won't be here to see a team worth a shit.

If Carl is still here in 5 years and we still haven't won a playoff game, I'm gonna have to question the loyalty of Clark Hunt. Sell the damn team if you don't care about winning, I'll take a Jerry Jones any day.....sorry I'm just a frustrated Chiefs fan

markk
blame allen, if he wasn't a drunken dumbass he'd be signed until 2050

Deberg_1990
04-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Very true. JA will more than likely have a nice career ahead of him (as long as he stays away from the bar)

Some of you guys act as if this is 1995 still.

This team blows. They are absolutely doing the right thing by stockpiling picks. Thats how you rebuild a team.

I hate Carl as much as anyone here, but hes doing the right thing here.

Mile High Mania
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Talking Can scooped GOATSE

BigRock
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
NFLN says we got their first and BOTH their thirds. Presumably nothing in 2009.

OmegaRed
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
it's for their 1st and both their 3rd's

noa
If we got both their thirds, that would be sweet.

markk

whoa, that's not too bad. i'll take it.

OnTheWarpath58

Really?

The ticker is still saying the original information.

Huffman83
04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
I can deal w/ a 1st and 2 thirds....especially since one was from the donks.

BigRock
Really?

The ticker is still saying the original information.
Darren Horton just did a 30-second break-in with the story.

eazyb81
Did you guys actually see this on NFLN? That would be a sweet deal.

morphius
Very true. JA will more than likely have a nice career ahead of him (as long as he stays away from the bar)

This team blows. They are absolutely doing the right thing by stockpiling picks. Thats how you rebuild a team.

Well, I'd argue that you don't sign old guys to big contracts, but if you also lose all of your young talent, then what do you have? Yup, the Royals...

the Talking Can
Talking Can scooped GOATSE

proof you don't have to pay a soft bitch for news....

eazyb81
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Good stuff. Rep.

the Talking Can

woo-hoo!

Mecca

Some people think this team is an OT from being good, I'm not joking either.

ChiefsCountry
If we get both thirds that is huge.

Huffman83
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I saw it too. 1st and 2 3rd round picks.

Don't **** it up Carl....

Mr. Laz
it's for their 1st and both their 3rd's
urg ..... two 3rd is less draft value than a 2nd rounder

OnTheWarpath58

NICE!

We just got picks equaling the 8th overall pick in this years draft.

Carl done good.

Mecca
we r not gonna find anyone close to his skill level with all the vikings picks. . bad move IMO. . very bad move

So wait you wanna keep a player who doesn't want to be here and is 1 strike from a year suspension?

Really do you think making the face of your franchise the guy who acts like he's a kid is a smart thing to do?

Mizzou_8541
wait...we were offered a 4th for wesley? I understand that it is dumb to trade to another AFC West team, but, wow....that's hard to pass up.

QuikSsurfer
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I like the deal. JA should have a few drinks and celebrate.

eazyb81
So wait you wanna keep a player who doesn't want to be here and is 1 strike from a year suspension?

Really do you think making the face of your franchise the guy who acts like he's a kid is a smart thing to do?

Dude, it's not even worth it anymore. Some people just can't comprehend it.

Count Alex's Losses
sad i just watched GoChiefs blazing backfields video. . its a shame. . one of the few exciting players we had on our team. .

I almost regret making it. I guess we can remember the good times...

:(

the Talking Can
PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

PBJ

LET THE DRAFT SPECULATING BEGIN FOR REAL

IF THEY CAN'T FIND GOOD PLAYERS WITH 3 EXTRA PICKS, THEN THEY TRULY SUCK

88TG88
04-22-2008, 10:21 PM

THANK GOD YOU GET IT.

rep

Mizzou_8541
Some people think this team is an OT from being good, I'm not joking either.

No, but at this point, we are so bad we have to start somewhere.

Mecca
If we get both thirds that is huge.

Weird I said I thought the Chiefs would get a 1 a 3 and a 2 next year or a 1 and both 3's this year.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:22 PM
urg ..... two 3rd is less draft value than a 2nd rounder

Actually, it's likely worth more.

Both 3rds this year are worth a combined 445 points.

A 2nd round pick in the middle of the round is worth 420.

recxjake
13 draft picks baby!!!! This is going to be the best weekend of my life!!!!

eazyb81
6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This draft could set us up for the next five years.

stlchiefs
I almost regret making it. I guess we can remember the good times...

:(

That's why I haven't watched your D-Bowe movie yet. Your new name is Jinxy. :)

Zouk

I think we have Clark and Herm to thank. This path we are on now is not and never has been Carl's path.

Chiefnj2
Enough with the drama.

You know damn well he wasn't going to sign long term here.

We would have had him for 2 years under the tag, then he would have walked.

He wanted to be traded LAST year.

He asked again, Carl granted his wish.

If Clark had any sense he would have canned Peterson this past offseason. With a new GM there would have been an excellent chance that Jared remained a Chief. Allen only wanted to be traded because it became apparent KC wasn't interested in signing him to a long term deal. They refused to negotiate last year, all during the season and apparently this offseason even though Clark "I'm a lying silver spoon son of a whore" Hunt said resigning Allen was a top priority.

ChiefsCountry
With the Vikings first round pick and 3 thirds, we can easily move up in the draft as well. A 1st and 3rd is normally the ticket to move up.

Mr. Laz
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Actually, it's likely worth more.

Both 3rds this year are worth a combined 445 points.

A 2nd round pick in the middle of the round is worth 420.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9339/copyofdraftvaluechartwl3.jpg

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EcmYrSDp-70&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EcmYrSDp-70&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Woodrow Call
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Six picks in the 1st three rounds can really give this team a boost. If they don't screw this up this can be the injection of young talent this team has needed for years.

This draft has the potential to turn this team around. Keep your fingers crossed.

recxjake
Round 1, Pick 5
Round 1, Pick 17 (From Vikings)
Round 2, Pick 4
Round 3, Pick 3
Round 3 Pick 10 (From Vikings)
Round 3 Pick 19 (From Vikings)
Round 4, Pick 6
Round 5, Pick 1 (From Dolphins)
Round 5, Pick 5
Round 6, Pick 4
Round 6, Pick 21 (From Buccaneers)
Round 7, Pick 3
Round 7, Pick 32 (From Giants)

Sure-Oz
I like the 1st and both 3rd rounders, hope its true...

Now lets not **** up this draft....

eazyb81
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
25 point difference in value.....who gives a shit.

QuikSsurfer
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Just announced on kctv5
Mentioned a possible additional 2009 pick.

morphius
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
If Clark had any sense he would have canned Peterson this past offseason. With a new GM there would have been an excellent chance that Jared remained a Chief. Allen only wanted to be traded because it became apparent KC wasn't interested in signing him to a long term deal. They refused to negotiate last year, all during the season and apparently this offseason even though Clark "I'm a lying silver spoon son of a whore" Hunt said resigning Allen was a top priority.
Yup, it worked out backwards, we ended up with Carl and lost a good player. Yeah for us! I guess with 2 first round picks we might be able to get a single decent planet, while dumping huge amount of money on complete unknowns...

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9339/copyofdraftvaluechartwl3.jpg

OH NOES!

WE MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN SHORTED 10 POINTS!!!111!!

Pardon me, I looked at he wrong line for pick 82.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807eb389&template=with-video&confirm=true
Posted: 0 minutes ago
Chiefs send Allen to Vikings for three draft picks
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Kansas Chiefs have agreed to trade Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen to the Minnseota Vikings, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs will receive Minnesota's first- (17th overall) and both of its third-round picks (73rd and 82nd) as compensation. Kansas City has been looking to acquire additional draft picks in an attempt to speed up coach Herm Edwards' rebuilding project for a team that lost its last nine games in 2007 and finished 4-12.

The Vikings also agreed on a new contract with Allen, which will be finalized Wednesday. Allen flew to Minnesota on Tuesday night in anticipation of Wednesday's events.

The Vikings fill one of their biggest needs by adding Allen to their front four. The Pro Bowl starter had a league-leading 15.5 sacks in 2007 along with 67 tackles, three forced fumbles and 18 pressures in only 14 games.

Jared Allen, DE
Kansas City Chiefs

2007 Stats:
Games: 14
Tackles: 64
Sacks: 15.5

» Stats: 2007 statistical leaders
» Free agency: Franchise amounts The Chiefs need offensive linemen and defensive backs, two position groups that scouts believe to be in abundance. The Chiefs already owned the No. 5 overall pick in the draft, and now have 13 selections with the trade, including five of the first 82 picks.

Before trading the 26-year-old Allen to the Vikings, the Chiefs also talked with Tampa Bay about Allen.

General manager Carl Peterson's relationship with Allen has been strained ever since Peterson, in the wake of Allen's DUI convictions, described him as "a young man at risk." Allen, who could be suspended for a season if he has another alcohol-related episode, had said he would not negotiate with Kansas City if he didn't get a contract done by next July.

After reaching an impasse, the Chiefs made Allen their franchise player on Feb. 7, but did not put the exclusive tag on him, as they did on tight end Tony Gonzalez when he was franchised in 2002.

That made it possible for Allen and his agent to talk with other clubs and be examined by their team doctors.

Allen was suspended the first two games by the commissioner last season for multiple DUI convictions. But Allen says he has stopped drinking entirely, a claim backed up by close friends.

"I've seen Jared at a big party, out on the dance floor, where everybody is drinking except one person. It's Jared, and he's having the best time of everybody," said Chiefs fullback Boomer Grigsby.

In his first game back from the suspension against the Vikings, he had nine tackles, two sacks, a pressure and a pass defended. He also forced Adrian Peterson to fumble.

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Allen was drafted with a supplemental fourth-round pick out of Idaho State in 2004.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

recxjake
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Just announced on kctv5
Mentioned a possible additional 2009 pick.

Did they mention the 2 3's?

Count Alex's Losses
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Nick confirmed with the Chiefs. We got both the 3's.

BigRock
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, 3 picks in the third round. JORDY NELSON, COME ON DOWN!!!

MVChiefFan
Round 1, Pick 5
Round 1, Pick 17 (From Vikings)
Round 2, Pick 4
Round 3, Pick 3
Round 3 Pick 10 (From Vikings)
Round 3 Pick 19 (From Vikings)
Round 4, Pick 6
Round 5, Pick 1 (From Dolphins)
Round 5, Pick 5
Round 6, Pick 4
Round 6, Pick 21 (From Buccaneers)
Round 7, Pick 3
Round 7, Pick 32 (From Giants)

Are we actually gonna draft "Mr. Irrelevant" this year? Or is someone picking after us in the round 7?

J Diddy

Allen made the contract game by his off the field behavior plus you have no knowledge of any of the goings on. To sum it up you're talking out your ass.

In a team that needs many solid starters you're pissed that we traded a guy who's numbers last year were slightly better than eric hicks miracle campaign for 3 first day picks. The guy disappeared at the end of games. Yet you want to pay him like the top nfl de?

Deberg_1990
I cant wait for Sat and Sun. The Chiefs will be picking every 20 minutes! haha

recxjake

Little late.

BigRock
04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Are we actually gonna draft "Mr. Irrelevant" this year? Or is someone picking after us in the round 7?
There's lots of comp picks after us.

OnTheWarpath58

The Rams have Mr. Irrelevant this year. (Comp picks)

recxjake

I believe there will be those add on picks after us.

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
this is great, great, great....Herm has an unprecedented chance to load this team with young talent....

there has been nothing like this draft in Carl's tenure...this is Haley's Comet

LET'S GET IT ON!

Woodrow Call
:D

Dicky McElephant

That means that they'll go to commercial every time we pick.

KCChiefsMan

this could be the only time we get to draft Mr Irrelevant

J Diddy

(nick checked the nfl network and confirmed we got the 3's)

Is nick there with you, I mean are you guys taking it to the next level or does he have comittment issues?

DaFace
OTW - you oughtta update the thread starter with the specifics.

eazyb81
I wonder what would happen if Jared got a DUI tonight after celebrating.......

ROFL

J Diddy
04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
this could be the only time we get to draft Mr Irrelevant

no shit

rep

Count Alex's Losses
Little late.

You asked.

MVChiefFan
Damn, that could have been the highlight of the season.

'Hamas' Jenkins
God, this is so f*cking badass. We get rid of that malcontent sonofabitch, and now we have 6 goddamned picks in the first three rounds.

With the depth at OT, CB, and LB in this draft, this rebuild is going to be accelerated immensely, and we are going to have enough players to have a truly good young team if we draft well.

Next year, we'll get a comp pick or two, this is awesome.

Mr. Laz
OH NOES!

WE MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN SHORTED 10 POINTS!!!111!!

Pardon me, I looked at he wrong line for pick 82.

2nd rd (47) - 430

3rd (73) - 225
3rd (82) - 180

430 > 405

recxjake
this is great, great, great....Herm has an unprecedented chance to load this team with young talent....

there has been nothing like this draft in Carl's tenure...this is Haley's Comet

LET'S GET IT ON!

I'm calling in sick on Sunday!

Ultra Peanut
6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This draft could set us up for the next five years.You poor bastard.

xbarretx
so we have 13 picks this year??? shiest...!!!! :clap:

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
i know alot will hate this, but trading JA is the best thing this franchise has done in a long time.

Ebolapox

there are comp picks after we pick.

Deberg_1990

Wow, a freebie!!

Thanks alot Rip Van Winkle.

the Talking Can
God, this is so f*cking badass. We get rid of that malcontent sonofabitch, and now we have 6 goddamned picks in the first three rounds.

With the depth at OT, CB, and LB in this draft, this rebuild is going to be accelerated immensely, and we are going to have enough players to have a truly good young team if we draft well.

Next year, we'll get a comp pick or two, this is awesome.

we're basically getting 2 years worth of picks in one....oh the possibilities!

Count Alex's Losses
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, there's no way we can lose.

Either we build a monster team via this draft, or we've given Carl and Herm and the entire front office and scouting department enough rope to hang themselves with.

If they screw this up there's no way Clark can justify keeping them around.

wazu
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Huge mistake. These three picks will not fill the void on our team that Allen leaves, or even come close. Now we get to see all of the picks get screwed up and Carl can leave this franchise at an all time low. Thanks for the memories, jackass.

Pitt Gorilla
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Carl is a complete idiot, but there will be a ton of talent available in the third round this year. Chad Rinehart would be a great guard to draft at that point. There should also be some decent speed rushers to be had in the third. Heck, this draft is so deep, MU's Will Franklin may be available in the 5th.

Ultra Peanut
i know alot will hate this, but trading JA is the best thing this franchise has done in a long time.I could be a turning point.

Could.

Man, I can't wait for him to get a DUI.

The Bad Guy

Go **** yourself.

the Talking Can
2nd rd (47) - 430

3rd (73) - 225
3rd (82) - 180

430 > 405

so what...we get 3 picks instead of 2...an extra player is worth the 25 points...

if Herm can't find good players in the 3rd then he deserves to be fired...

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
OTW - you oughtta update the thread starter with the specifics.

Got it.

If you could change the title, that would help as well.

Woodrow Call
13 picks is basically two draft classes rolled into one.

Don't screw this up.:cuss:

Deberg_1990
Huge mistake. These three picks will not fill the void on our team that Allen leaves, or even come close. Now we get to see all of the picks get screwed up and Carl can leave this franchise at an all time low. Thanks for the memories, jackass.

If we keep all 13 picks the law of averages says we should get at least 5 or 6 starters out of this.

Marco Polo
That means that they'll go to commercial every time we pick.

ROFL So true...

Count Alex's Losses
Go **** yourself.

Someone asked, dude. Lighten up. Life is too short to be mad at everyone all the time.

Herzig
04-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow...a 1st, and two mid round 3rds...

Not bad for a guy we drafted with a 4th round supplemental draft pick!

88TG88
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, there's no way we can lose.

Either we build a monster team via this draft, or we've given Carl and Herm and the entire front office and scouting department enough rope to hang themselves with.

If they screw this up there's no way Clark can justify keeping them around.

YESSSSSSSS

J Diddy
u think there is any palyer in the NFL who wants to be a Chief?. . lol. . this is a sad organization. . i cant wait till we spend those draft picks on studs like Kris Wilson. .maybe well get another punter. .

are you from ny

there's a prime opportunity to jump on a bandwagon

Count Alex's Losses
What do you folks think about Calais Campbell in the third? I have a hard on for 6-7 DEs with huge wingspans...ala Peppers...

PastorMikH
Well, I'd argue that you don't sign old guys to big contracts, but if you also lose all of your young talent, then what do you have? Yup, the Royals...

I remember when the Cowboys had the best young RB in the league and traded him for a bunch of draft picks. Worked pretty well for them.

I hate to see Allen go, but with the way things were stacked, I think this is the best solution for the Chiefs. I doubt he would have performed up to last year's level here with the grudges he would have had. Also, being disgruntled could have rubbed off on other players.

Getting a mid-first and two third rounders for a guy originally drafted later in the 4th is a pretty good investment IMO. Hopefully we can get a couple of serious playmakers with those picks.

Ultra Peanut
so what...we get 3 picks instead of 2...an extra player is worth the 25 points...Especially since our history with second-rounders is the shits.

J Diddy
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Someone asked, dude. Lighten up. Life is too short to be mad at everyone all the time.

ever heard of birth control

Tribal Warfare
Well, I'm indifferent on this:harumph:

eazyb81
What do you folks think about Calais Campbell in the third? I have a hard on for 6-7 DEs with huge wingspans...ala Peppers...

There's talk of him going in the late 1st now, but if he's there in our 2nd or 3rd I would love to have him.

Marco Polo

I think people pick on you too much. You are alright.

DaFace
Got it.

If you could change the title, that would help as well.

Good call. I always forget about my superpowers. :D

OnTheWarpath58
2nd rd (47) - 430

3rd (73) - 225
3rd (82) - 180

430 > 405

Jesus tapdancing Christ you ****ing whiner.

We won't even know what that 2nd rounder would have been for another 10 months. We're assuming the middle of the round.

Wash the sand out of your 'gina.

Ebolapox
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow...a 1st, and two mid round 3rds...

Not bad for a guy we drafted with a 4th round supplemental draft pick!

we drafted drunken allen in the fourth round of the REGULAR draft.

morphius
I remember when the Cowboys had the best young RB in the league and traded him for a bunch of draft picks. Worked pretty well for them.

I hate to see Allen go, but with the way things were stacked, I think this is the best solution for the Chiefs. I doubt he would have performed up to last year's level here with the grudges he would have had. Also, being disgruntled could have rubbed off on other players.

Getting a mid-first and two third rounders for a guy originally drafted later in the 4th is a pretty good investment IMO. Hopefully we can get a couple of serious playmakers with those picks.
I don't seem to remember Walker being all that young when the trade was made.

Deberg_1990
ever heard of birth control

I wish his parents would have.

Mecca

I like him cause he's fallen.....in a cover 2 Groves is better though.

cdcox
I cant wait for Sat and Sun. The Chiefs will be picking a fullback every 20 minutes! haha

Damn, you're pessimistic.

Count Alex's Losses
04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
There's talk of him going in the late 1st now, but if he's there in our 2nd or 3rd I would love to have him.

Well shit. Tom Marino's breakdown of the defensive ends had him rated 7th I think. He must be a beast.

The Bad Guy

I'm not mad at everyone. I think you and the dick with ears are a disgrace.

There's a difference.

I thought WPI had better sources than the Vikings newspapers? You know real journalists that actually have careers?

Count Alex's Losses
Is everyone cool with the Chiefs taking OT at 17? I think that's a good spot for Williams or Clady.

Count Alex's Losses
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not mad at everyone. I think you and the dick with ears are a disgrace.

There's a difference.

I thought WPI had better sources than the Vikings newspapers? You know real journalists that actually have careers?

Alright dude, chill. Let's just drop it. It's not productive. Cool?

royr17
04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Hello Vernon Gholston !!!!

Jake Long goes to the Dolphins
Glenn Dorsey goes to the Rams
Matt Ryan goes to the Falcons
Chris Long goes to the Raiders
and the Chiefs get Vernon Gholston

This is sweet. But I kinda like the idea of Gholston being a Derrick Thomas like player can play End and LB.

I believe the chiefs will take him if he's available and take advantage of his speed.

Woodrow Call
Is everyone cool with the Chiefs taking OT at 17? I think that's a good spot for Williams or Clady.

Good value at that point. Hopefully this will keep them from being tempted to reach for OL help at 5.

Deberg_1990

McFadden at 5 and Williams or Clady at 17. :)

T-post Tom

Maybe not:

Allen report disputed
Jared Allen - DL - KC - Apr. 22 - 7:23 pm et
The St. Paul Pioneer Press disputes a Scout.com report that the Vikings have offered their 2008 first- and third-rounders and their 2009 second-round pick in exchange for Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen.
The proposal did seem a bit steep. If they had made that offer, it's hard to imagine K.C. hesitating, even as bad as GM Carl Peterson drafts. The Chiefs may be holding firm on their initial price: 2008 first- and second-rounders. Apr. 22 - 7:23 pm et
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Ebolapox
Alright dude, chill. Let's just drop it. It's not productive. Cool?

I'M GONNA BE BACK IN AN HOUR AND THEN THE SH*T WILL REALLY HIT THE FAN!111!!

Ari Chi3fs
So this is what it feels like to be an inept Raiders fan?

the Talking Can
04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
the NFL is not the NBA...in the NBA there only a handful of true superstars, and only 5 players per team, without one you can't win...

the NFL is truly a team sport, there are an infinite number of ways to construct a championship team...you can great DTs, or great DEs, or great LBs etc...

so, sure, Allen is good and he will continue to be so...but we don't have to replace him to build a good team....we just have to nail this draft....

we must kill in this draft...

Smed1065
Yeah we just make shit up. You got me.

OMG U admitted it.

Pitt Gorilla

This is sweet. But I kinda like the idea of Gholston being a Derrick Thomas like player can play End and LB.

I believe the chiefs will take him if he's available and take advantage of his speed.I think the Faiduhs might look at McFadden, leaving Long for us. Well, at least that's what I'd like to have happen. Clady or Williams at 17 would be incredible. Either would start immediately.

J Diddy
I don't seem to remember Walker being all that young when the trade was made.

I believe he was in his prime (1991) of course I'm too lazy to look it up

Herzig
04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
we drafted drunken allen in the fourth round of the REGULAR draft.

Read the very last line of this article. Supplemental draft picks are taken in the regular draft. I think anyways...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807eb389&template=with-video&confirm=true

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 10:45 PM

I believe the chiefs will take him if he's available and take advantage of his speed.

I think I'd rather have Gholston then Ellis, so I agree. I really want Chris Long though, hopefully he'll fall to us!

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 10:46 PM
If this springboards the Chiefs rebuilding like the Cowboys trade in the early 90's, the Vikings will be the biggest idiots ever.

ClevelandBronco
Chiefs got more than he's worth. Great trade for you guys.

J Diddy

I think this is where the should go oline, I think their top pick will be a d beast

Count Alex's Losses
If this springboards the Chiefs rebuilding like the Cowboys trade in the early 90's, the Vikings will be the biggest idiots ever.

Allen's gonna get 25 sacks next year.

TEX
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM

then again this is Carl so we can't be younger and better. Has to be one or the other.

Yep. Only JA is young.:cuss:

J Diddy
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM

wait a sucker trade with the vikings

gentlemen we've arrived

TEX
04-22-2008, 10:48 PM

I'd rather have those picks and the people who were picking them.

cdcox
Good value at that point. Hopefully this will keep them from being tempted to reach for OL help at 5.

If they reach at 5 for Clady, I'll quit following this team.

J Diddy
Allen's gonna get his last dui next year.

FYP

talastan
Well Jared thanks for the memories and hope that you find a good home and great future in Minnesota. We'll miss ya and the wonderful fear that you put in the Faiders and the Donkeys! And heres to the future of the Chiefs. May the football gods bless us with a draft that will make this team great!!

Ebolapox
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Read the very last line of this article. Supplemental draft picks are taken in the regular draft. I think anyways...

hmmmm.... it's arguing semantics, but if I recall correctly, the supplemental draft is for players who don't declare in time for the draft or an emergency happens where they aren't academically eligible (or somethin'), and a team will pledge a pick in a particular round of the FOLLOWING year's draft, and if they win the 'bid,' they have that player but are minus that round's pick in the next year's draft.

the article doesn't say it, but I seem to recall allen maybe being a comp pick...

KCinNY
Anybody think a trade down is still possible? Pick up another first day pick?

BigRedChief
wait a sucker trade with the vikings

gentlemen we've arrived
Not really. It's basically a mid 1st and 2nd rounder.

The Vikings two 3rds on the draft value chart = the 2 round pick at the #17 slot almost exactly.

Fish
04-22-2008, 10:50 PM
If they reach at 5 for Clady, I'll quit following this team.

Let's hope that having this many picks will completely eliminate the need to reach with any of the picks.

wazu
If we keep all 13 picks the law of averages says we should get at least 5 or 6 starters out of this.

I'd rather settle for 10 picks that lead to 3 or 4 starters, plus the superstar starter we already have. I'll concede we will get at least one starter out of the three picks we received for this garbage trade. Whoever it is has practically no chance of being the game changer that Jared Allen is.

J Diddy

me thinks we got compensatory draft picks confused with supplemental draft picks

Woodrow Call
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
from profootballtalk but so what....

VIKES BREAK THE BANK FOR ALLEN
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 11:48 p.m.
In addition to the three 2008 draft picks that the Minnesota Vikings gave up in order to acquire the rights to defensive end Jared Allen, the Vikes have made defensive end Jared Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

Per Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, Allen will get a six-year, $74 million deal, with $31 million in guaranteed money.

Actually, the guarantee is $31,000,069. That’s right . . . “Wine ‘em, dine ‘em, 69 ‘em.”

The deal surpasses the deal paid a year ago by the Colts to defensive end Dwight Freeney, with $30 million guaranteed on a six-year, $72 million contract.

The risk that the Vikings are taking is huge, given Allen’s history with the whole glug-glug, vroom-vroom thing. But it’s apparent that the Vikings have done plenty of homework, and are comfortable that Allen’s drinking days

Ebolapox
04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
hmmmm.... it's arguing semantics, but if I recall correctly, the supplemental draft is for players who don't declare in time for the draft or an emergency happens where they aren't academically eligible (or somethin'), and a team will pledge a pick in a particular round of the FOLLOWING year's draft, and if they win the 'bid,' they have that player but are minus that round's pick in the next year's draft.

the article doesn't say it, but I seem to recall allen maybe being a comp pick...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft#Round_four

I know, it's just a wiki link, but according to that link, he was a normal fourth round pick. not a comp or supplemental pick

J Diddy
I'd rather settle for 10 picks that lead to 3 or 4 starters, plus the superstar starter we already have. I'll concede we will get at least one starter out of the three picks we received for this garbage trade. Whoever it is has practically no chance of being the game changer that Jared Allen is.

please

what game did allen change
he was a comet, really bright then he disappeared

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him play, but I never saw 1 single play made by allen to win us a game

tk13
I was never too excited about getting rid of Allen, it's not easy to find premier pass rushing DE's. But this looks like it'll be a pretty good return for him. If you can do right by the draft, we should make a killing this year. Everybody seems to be saying the front office has done more homework than they ever have before, hopefully it pays off.

As crappy as this team looks, this is a legitimate opportunity to change the direction of the franchise. It probably won't lead to a playoff birth now, but you can make a lot of changes with the 20+ draft picks we're going to have over the next couple years.

BigRedChief
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Not so sure that the Raiders pass on Mcfadden. Long could still fall to us.

wazu
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
The risk that the Vikings are taking is huge, given Allen’s history with the whole glug-glug, vroom-vroom thing. But it’s apparent that the Vikings have done plenty of homework, and are comfortable that Allen’s drinking days

Last year Allen said he was willing to put in clauses that protect the Chiefs if he gets in trouble again. I wonder if the contract the Vikes have includes that.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
from profootballtalk but so what....

VIKES BREAK THE BANK FOR ALLEN
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 11:48 p.m.
In addition to the three 2008 draft picks that the Minnesota Vikings gave up in order to acquire the rights to defensive end Jared Allen, the Vikes have made defensive end Jared Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

Per Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, Allen will get a six-year, $74 million deal, with $31 million in guaranteed money.

Actually, the guarantee is $31,000,069. That’s right . . . “Wine ‘em, dine ‘em, 69 ‘em.”

The deal surpasses the deal paid a year ago by the Colts to defensive end Dwight Freeney, with $30 million guaranteed on a six-year, $72 million contract.

HOLY SHIT!

Even better. That's WAY too much money.

melbar
Maybe we could jump up a spot or 2 to get C. Long. I'd rather have an effort guy with great character if we could jump 1 or 2 spots than Gholston.

Count Alex's Losses
Wow. They broke the bank.

macdawg
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
otah, williams or clady at 17 please, I'd take any of them, like Otah's size & upside

BigRedChief
I can't believe that the Vikes gave him Frenny money.

Brock
Not so sure that the Raiders pass on Mcfadden. Long could still fall to us.

Rumor has it there is bad blood between Howie and the Raiders.

OnTheWarpath58
Last year Allen said he was willing to put in clauses that protect the Chiefs if he gets in trouble again. I wonder if the contract the Vikes have includes that.

For the eleventy-billionth time:

The players union would fight that to the death.

Michael Vick is in ****ing PRISON, and he got to keep his signing bonus.

Count Alex's Losses
We're swapping sixth rounders too.

The Vikings will give up their 2008 first-round draft pick as well as two third-rounders, and the teams will swap sixth-round picks.

BIG K
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Just saw on the ticker.

Chiefs receive the Vikings 1st round pick (17) and both 3rd round picks (73,82) in the 2008 draft.

******* A!!!

I am quite good with this shit. Bout time! Thanks for all the work JA! Draft weekend here we come!:)

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
We're swapping sixth rounders too.

WTF?

How inconsequential is that?

Which 6th round pick?

Ours or the Bucs?

Chief Chief
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks like CP now has enough picks to get most of the recently-departed players from UCLA.

morphius
HOLY SHIT!

Even better. That's WAY too much money.
Eh, who knows how much of the 31 is guaranteed, normally part of the guaranteed includes bonuses throughout the contract, even though they are not really guaranteed. Figure the last 2 years cut that deal in about half, if not more.

Pitt Gorilla
Not so sure that the Raiders pass on Mcfadden. Long could still fall to us.I posted the same thing a page or so back.

morphius

I'm still not buying that they would fight it, sorry.

wazu

I'm guessing Mike Vick probably didn't have anything in his contract protecting the Falcons. If Jared wants to sign a contract that includes as "incentives" that he not be convicted of a crime, I don't see what the player's union has to say about it.

OnTheWarpath58
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm guessing Mike Vick probably didn't have anything in his contract protecting the Falcons. If Jared wants to sign a contract that includes as "incentives" that he not be convicted of a crime, I don't see what the player's union has to say about it.

:banghead:

Der Flöprer
04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I REALLY don't think Al Davis can pass on Chris Long if he's on the board. Everyone has Oakland taking McFadden because it's been widely assumed before now that he would be gone. If he's available, he's a Raider. You heard it here first.

cdcox
Rumor has it there is bad blood between Howie and the Raiders.

:grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel:

Der Flöprer

Why is the search function not working?

keg in kc
1st and 2 thirds is a better deal than I expected. Good job CP on this one (it makes me grimace to say that). We made them pay for it.

Mecca
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM

Like the guy said to me, you'll never convince some people no matter how many points you are right on.

Jared Allen was their drinking buddy player they related to and that's that.

Der Flöprer
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I do have to say, as opposed as I was to this when it broke, I'm quite happy now. In effect we got 3 first day draft picks for a guy that was not only a major suspension risk, but made it quite clear to the Chiefs he wasn't going to resign. EVER.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3362701

Sources: Chiefs agree to send franchise player Allen to Vikes
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: April 22, 2008, 11:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Jared Allen, the franchise player for the Kansas City Chiefs, is heading to a new franchise, the Minnesota Vikings, according to multiple sources.

Allen

Late Tuesday night, the Chiefs and the Vikings reached an agreement on a trade package, and at roughly the same time, Allen reached an agreement in principle on a contract with the Vikings. Upon reaching the contract agreement, Allen headed to the airport and left for Minnesota.

Sources indicated the Vikings might have had to include a second third-round pick (No. 73) in the 2008 draft to get the deal done. They had been offering a No. 1 pick (17th in the first round) and a No. 3 (No. 82). Terms of Allen's new contract weren't available.

Allen, a fourth-year defensive end out of Idaho State, led the league in sacks last season with 15½.

The Chiefs, who are trying to get younger, now have the fifth pick in the first round and presumably the Vikings pick, which is the 17th. Allen had made it clear to the Chiefs that he wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the team.

Now, the Chiefs can use the fifth pick in the first round to find a pass-rushing replacement, either Vernon Gholston of Ohio State or Chris Long of Virginia.