PDA

View Full Version : Life Machine guns and sawed off shottys legal in Kansas!

pr_capone
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Rejoice weapons enthusiasts!

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/22/sebelius_signs_machine_gun_bill/

Topeka — Kansans will be able to own machine guns, other fully automatic weapons, sawed-off shotguns and silencers starting July 1.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius signed a bill Monday to legalize the possession of such weapons. The state banned owning machine guns in 1933, but some legislators said a change was necessary because legal questions threaten to keep dealers from delivering weapons to law enforcement agencies.

Supporters believe the bill will benefit mostly collectors because machine guns typically cost at least $20,000. Also, anyone wanting to own such weapons must undergo two federal background checks.

“I can’t even afford them,” said Sen. Phil Journey, a Haysville Republican who is a strong gun-rights advocate and championed the bill. “There may be some very happy collectors who have significant disposable income.”

The bill had bipartisan support among legislators and passed both chambers with more than the two-thirds majorities necessary to override a veto.

“I suspect that the governor knows that it’s not good public policy for the state of Kansas, but she has to pick and choose the battles she takes on,” said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman John Vratil, a Leawood Republican who opposed the measure.

In announcing her action, Sebelius didn’t elaborate on her reasons for signing the bill. Her past actions on gun issues had raised questions about whether she would.

In 2006, she vetoed a bill allowing qualified Kansans to carry concealed handguns, only to see the Legislature override her. Last year, she rejected a bill preventing local governments from imposing additional restrictions on concealed guns, and legislators once again nullified her veto.

But spokeswoman Nicole Corcoran said Sebelius didn’t receive numerous calls from law enforcement officers asking her to veto this year’s measure, as she did with the concealed carry bill two years ago.

“Governor Sebelius carefully reviewed this bill, which is similar to the laws of 30 other states that require compliance with extensive federal guidelines,” Corcoran said.

Those federal guidelines not only will require two background checks, but also the approval of a prospective gun owner’s local sheriff or police chief.

Rain Man
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Totally unrelated, but does anyone know exactly where Carl Peterson's office is?

HMc
04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I havent RTFA, but im struggling to make any sense out of this.

BIG K
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Rejoice weapons enthusiasts!

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/22/sebelius_signs_machine_gun_bill/

I am soooo moving there!

JBucc
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Can I have a sawed off silenced machine gun?

markk
04-22-2008, 11:23 PM
a civilian still can't buy one that was manufactured after February of 1986, due to federal law.

Demonpenz
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Guns don't kill people. Carl Peterson run franchises do.

pr_capone
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
a civilian still can't buy one that was manufactured after February of 1986, due to federal law.

perhaps not a machine gun but a sawed off shotgun for home protection is now allowed... right?

Or did the fed law nix that as well?

Rausch
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Totally unrelated, but does anyone know exactly where Carl Peterson's office is?

Oddly enough he lives with my baby-momma'...

Frazod
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Well, this will give 'em a sporting chance the next time we sack Lawrence. :evil:

mikey23545
04-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Now that's a <i>MAN'S</i> state!

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Yay!!

The Mafia will once again become a force in Kansas City.

Legally!

Braincase
04-23-2008, 05:47 AM
I've already got my eye's on a fully-automtic sawed-off shotgun with a silencer... for sportsman purposes only.

Braincase
04-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Well, this will give 'em a sporting chance the next time we sack Lawrence. :evil:

Now you know why we moved the games to Arrowhead.

Radar Chief
04-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Yay!!

Legally!

Yea, cause this one piece of legislation is what held them back. ROFL

BigOlChiefsfan
04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=161412&mesg_id=161412

Brock
04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Yay!!

Legally!

Hopefully, this is a lame attempt at a joke.

Radar Chief
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=161412&mesg_id=161412

I’m surprised they aren’t flipping out over this.
But they make a good point about “suppressors”, shooting my .45 without hearing protection is flat out painful.

Count Zarth
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
A bunch of football players just moved east.

Gonzo
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Now that's a <i>MAN'S</i> state!

Leagal Sawed off shot-guns, machine guns and silencers? That's not a man's state, that's mulletville. (AKA Jayhawk Country)

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Leagal Sawed off shot-guns, machine guns and silencers? That's not a man's state, that's mulletville. (AKA Jayhawk Country)

Yeah, Nebraska is a lot different from Kansas. snicker

Frazod
04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
But they make a good point about “suppressors”, shooting my .45 without hearing protection is flat out painful.

I heard that. Well, actually, I didn't, since I permanently damaged my hearing shooting without ear protection when I was a kid. :bang:

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Stinkin' libbies! :cuss:

R&GHomer
04-23-2008, 09:39 AM

ROFL

Gonzo
04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, Nebraska is a lot different from Kansas. snicker

Lived in Whichita for 6 years. I'd actually say that's a fairly safe bet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually happy KS decided to do this, too many gun laws nowadays as it is.

Good for you guys.

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Lived in Whichita for 6 years. I'd actually say that's a fairly safe bet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually happy KS decided to do this, too many gun laws nowadays as it is.

Good for you guys.

I thought Wichita was in Oklahoma.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Actually, on some other threads they ARE flipping out. It's DU after all, you can find someone there who's happy to flip out about almost anything. "The Sun rose in the East today? Don't they know that Goatse says football players are moving there? Won't someone PLEASE think about the children?"

Count Zarth
04-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I have this vision of our planet being invaded by aliens. Kansas will be the last stronghold, right in the middle of the United States, being attacked on all fronts as farmers with AK-47's return fire.

roman gnome
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm actually surprised she signed this!

Props to her.

markk
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
democratic underground also flipped out when missouri stopped requiring you to go to the sheriff's office to get a permit before buying a gun. the change just meant the background check is done from the point of sale now but there were threads there by people who thought it meant you could CCW without a permit. when there is some kind of a law change involving guns the people who freak out are the ones who know little or nothing about them

Radar Chief
04-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Stinkin' libbies! :cuss:

Heh, I am surprised Sebelius actually signed it. We, as a state, had to over ride her veto of Right to Carry.

Radar Chief
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually, on some other threads they ARE flipping out. It's DU after all, you can find someone there who's happy to flip out about almost anything. "The Sun rose in the East today? Don't they know that Goatse says football players are moving there? Won't someone PLEASE think about the children?"

Yea, I suppose it’s hard not to find someone on there blowing a gasket. ;)

BigOlChiefsfan
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm actually surprised she signed this!

Props to her.

Word is Katy is wary of another of her gunlaw vetoes being quickly overturned. That kind of bad press affects her 'potential' vice presidential chances.