PDA

View Full Version : Computers Thinking about buying a new computer, don't buy gateway.

chop
04-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I bought my wife laptop computer. She really wanted a Gateway so that's what I bought her. Everything was fine for approx 9 months. Then she started experiencing problems charging the battery.

They first sent her a new power converter and battery. It worked fine for a while. Then it stopped charging the battery again.

This time I told my wife that it was not the converter but on the 2nd customer service call, they again diagnosed power cord issues and sent her a 2nd converter. In the mean time her computer was down. The power converter arrived but did not charge the battery and the computer still wouldn't turn on.

Computer still down.

On the 3rd customer service call hey had her send her computer in for repair.

We had to wait 3 days for the shipping box to arrive.

Once it arrived we sent the computer back. They were able to fix the computer and send it back within a week. Exactly one week later the same problem happened again. Computer completely dead and not chargeable.

4th customer service call - same process again. Waited for box, waited for DHL to pick it up, waited exactly one week for the return of the computer. Two days later - a completely dead, not chargeable computer.

Apparently they were trying to fix a solder joint on the mother board.

5th customer service call - wait a week, GO TO DHL (to speed things up, - yeah.) This was the last week in March. They received the computer on Mar 31st (3 1/2 weeks in their possession as of now, 1 month away from her, and after several calls they indicate that the parts (Mother Board and Terminal Strip) are not in stock and the repair is on hold.

Can't imagine running and maintaining a company who would even consider letting a customer go a month without a product that is backed by warranty. It seems to me that the alternate option - replacing the computer would be a more business savvy decision considering the result of the wait has lost them a customer for life and very well could affect the potential business of future customers who hear of this pathetic excuse for customer service.

chasedude
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Wow, I didn't know Gateway was still around.

I thought they sent those Cows out to pasture a long time ago.

Demonpenz
04-23-2008, 09:15 AM
i have had the most luck building my own. You skimp on the research you pay the price lter.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
gateway sucks ass...aren't they owned by ACER or some Chinese company now?

StcChief
04-23-2008, 09:20 AM
gateway is still crap.

Brock
That company went to shit a long time ago.

siberian khatru
Wow, I didn't know Gateway was still around.

I thought they sent those Cows out to pasture a long time ago.

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't know they still made computers (thought they switched to TVs).

My first Internet-capable computer was a Gateway I bought in 1995. Back then, Gateway and Dell were going head to head in the mail-order market. It was a nice machine, served me well for about 4 years until I upgraded to something different.

Fish
04-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Moral of the story: Don't listen to your wife when it comes to choosing something with moving parts.....

JBucc
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I remember the Gateway store with all the cow paint on the outside. Never went in.

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I had this exact same problem with my gateway laptop. The charging socket got worn badly. It went through best buy's 3 strike deal and I got a new Toshiba which has been great.

HMc
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
She really wanted a Gateway

wtf

Phobia
04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
My gateway laptop was great until it was out of warranty. Now I'd be lucky to get $100 for it. Never again.

JazzzLovr
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
gateway sucks ass...aren't they owned by ACER or some Chinese company now?

eMachines. Gateway is nothing more than a name anymore.