PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Now that we are fully in rebuilding mode...

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
What would you like in return for a player like Tony Gonzalez? He's easily one of my favorites, but if some team was crazy enough to cough up the picks, what would be fair compensation?

J Diddy
04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Highest possible a 2nd, but probably a 3rd

Brock
04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd let Tony leave for practically nothing. Hasn't he suffered enough?

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I suppose we could lump other vets into the discussion as well.

Wesley-5th, 6th
LJ - 2nd and 3rd?
Waters - 1st or maybe wouldn't trade.

Sully
04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think you get rid of him.
Rebuilding doesn't always mean you completely strip your roster of every veteran player. I think the smart way to do it is keep a couple of those guys around, assuming they are guys with credibility, to teach the younger guys the right way to do things. TG would be a guy who fits that description, IMO.

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Rebuilding doesn't always mean you completely strip your roster of every veteran player. I think the smart way to do it is keep a couple of those guys around, assuming they are guys with credibility, to teach the younger guys the right way to do things. TG would be a guy who fits that description, IMO.You're correct, but guys like Donnie Edwards and Waters are here already. I love Tony, but he has some value and he has given everything he's had to the Chiefs to this point.

Sully
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
You're correct, but guys like Donnie Edwards and Waters are here already. I love Tony, but he has some value and he has given everything he's had to the Chiefs to this point.

I don't think he has enough value to other teams to balance out what we'd lose by not having him.

It's obviously opinion... but that's what I think.

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
At Tony's age? Probably a high- or mid-second. I think Shannon Sharpe's Raven's/Broncos run late in his career showed the potential value of a player like Tony in his early- to mid-30s to a contending team.

mlyonsd
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
ROFL

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Classic... I wonder what he is thinking...

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Gonzo is entering his 12th season... so, I wonder what is on his mind in regards to this rebuilding effort. Gonzo will be DONE by the time KC gets their act together.

It's not impossible to think they can contend in 2 years... but, I don't think it's realistic.

So, as you look forward to 2010... that would be Gonzo's 14th season... will he be around?

markk
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
we should let him go out of mercy.

maybe New England would pick him up for a second or third. he could get the ring he richly deserves.

CoMoChief
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm all for trading TG and LJ.

I'd say the Pats would cough up a 3rd for him and maybe a 4-5th rounder next years. Their window is still open for another SB run, but that's only for a couple more years IMO. Their defense is ancient.

Trade LJ and a 6 rd pick to Carolina for their 2nd round pick

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Rebuilding does not = fire sale.

You can't leave the ship completely rudderless. Tony picked the money over the ring when he resigned. Tough shit dude. You're going to the HOF and you've got a hot ass wife. Watch a single tear roll down my face.

RustShack
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I think we should keep LJ, Waters, and Gonzo still, all three should still be around in a couple more years and we still need them as cornerstones.

BigMeatballDave
04-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Call me crazy, but doesn't TGs and LJs contract PREVENT us from trading them? Salary cap and whatnot? Wise up, folks.

Short Leash Hootie
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
give us a couple of tackles, a stud DT, a promising year from Brodie Croyle and a year of free agency and I think we can compete in 2009...all we have to do is hit on 3 of our first day picks and semi hit on another 3 of our remaining picks and we fill some major holes...

Imagine if we have a REALLY good draft...not very likely but not impossible, right?

I like the...

Dorsey/Long/Ellis at #5, Chris Williams/Branden Albert at #17, Sam Baker at #35 an OG with on of our 3rd round picks, a CB in the 3rd, another solid player in the 3rd, and a center in the 5th and I think we're on the right track...no?

Count Zarth
04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
give us a couple of tackles, a stud DT, a promising year from Brodie Croyle and a year of free agency and I think we can compete in 2009...?

The Chiefs coaching staff thinks they can compete THIS year (i.e. 10-6)

They must see something in the talent they already have.

Brock
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM

They say that shit every year.

Short Leash Hootie
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm too optimistic to talk but if we draft a LT like Williams and he plays like McNeil a few years ago...draft someone who can play the RT effectively like Baker, I see no reason why LJ can't average 4.3-4.7 YPC and free up the play-action game for our big time playmakers like Gonzalez and Bowe...Brodie will really need to build a chemistry with Tony G though, because when he played last year Tony's production really leveled off compared to when Damon played...sometimes you just have to trust Tony like Damon did and chuck it to him and pray for something good to happen...

As for our defense...yeah, losing Allen blows but we drafted two guys (Tank and Turk) that HOPEFULLY will take big leaps this year...Pollard and Page are a year older...we have an obvious whole at CB but really, did Ty Law do ANYTHING last year other than suck...it can't be that hard to replace him...

Draft Dorsey or Ellis, even Chris Long and add in Tank and Turk and we won't see too big of a dropoff in production for our DL...hopefully...maybe even Tamba can get 10+ sacks this year if he's healthy...

and I really do like Derrick Johnson...I really think he played much better than people gave him credit for last year...

We have a pretty cake schedule IMO...I wouldn't be surprised with 8 wins but like I said, I'm always very optimistic.

Ultra Peanut
04-23-2008, 03:09 PM
If someone offered a 2nd, I'd bite like a rabid dog.

Zouk
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
If done right, these rebuilding things always go faster than people expect. I think the potential for improvement from Turk, Tank, Tamba, Pollard, Page, Bowe, DJ, and (maybe) Croyle is underrated.

milkman
04-23-2008, 03:17 PM
As I've said before, TE is way overvalued by KC fans because of TG.

At his age, we'd be lucky if any team offered a 4th rounder for him.

xbarretx
04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Rebuilding doesn't always mean you completely strip your roster of every veteran player. I think the smart way to do it is keep a couple of those guys around, assuming they are guys with credibility, to teach the younger guys the right way to do things. TG would be a guy who fits that description, IMO.

yes proper leadership in the locker room is PARAMOUNT in a teams success

Radar Chief
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
As I've said before, TE is way overvalued by KC fans because of TG.

At his age and cap #, we'd be lucky if any team offered a 4th rounder for him.

QFT, with one minor adjustment.

beach tribe
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Dude it's a business. They have to give the "real fans" a reason to buy tickets.

beach tribe
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
If done right, these rebuilding things always go faster than people expect. I think the potential for improvement from Turk, Tank, Tamba, Pollard, Page, Bowe, DJ, and (maybe) Croyle is underrated.

I pray that you are right.