PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Adam Scheftner on Sirrus raido said the Pats and Jets are in talks with Chiefs

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
To acquire our 5th pick.

I hope King Carl doesn't do a deal with the Pats. No way King Carl is going to get a good deal out of Pioli.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
weak...

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
He said that the Pats are interested in Gholston and the Jets want McFadden.

DaFace
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
WHOOOOOOO!!! Let's go into the draft with 20 picks! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, now that we've gotten a truckload of picks, I wouldn't be a fan of trading down at all.

cmh6476
04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
maybe we can get their 1st next year and by some act of God, the sun shines on our ass and that team implodes this year :shrug

Direckshun
Hey, a spot or two is not that big of a deal if it means we get a 2nd out of it.

At this point, I'd be thrilled to get the Jets' 2nd if it means we move down one. I don't know if that's on the value chart, though. I'll look it up.

There are seven elite players in this Draft:

Jake Long
Chris Long
Glenn Dorsey
Sedrick Ellis
Matt Ryan
Vernon Gholston
Darren McFadden

At the very end of the day, we get one of those players. I have no complaints.

Count Alex's Losses
This sounds like we're targeting Ellis.

Or god forbid, a lineman at 7 or 8.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
This sounds like we're targeting Ellis.

Or god forbid, a lineman at 7 or 8.

Sounds like? What... WPI doesn't have any insight?

Valiant
Keep the 5th pick.. If carl does this, he will solidify his claim as the most ignorant and worthless GM ever.. who never won shit..

Count Alex's Losses

Drop it.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM
That is cool we are going to have like 14-15 picks and god knows we need every single one of them.

Valiant

Just make something up and claim you have sources.. Even though you and your sources are wrong 80% of the time..

Direckshun
5th overall (Chiefs) -- 1700
6th overall (Jets) -- 1600
7th overall (Patriots) -- 1500

The Jets will be offering us a 4th rounder, the Pats may offer us multiple picks or their pick at the bottom of the 2nd...

banyon
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Drop it.

Why should he drop it when WPI's the one that sucks?

buddha
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, Kc needs plenty of help everywhere, but wouldn't you like to have at least one elite level draft pick. If they do nothing, they get one of the elite players. We have plenty of picks now, and we get the elite draft pick as well. If they want to trade Minnesota's pick to move down, go for it.

BigMeatballDave
04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
If they could get a 2nd and still pick Ellis, I'd ejaculate all over myself...

noa
Herm wants Pennington

BigRedChief
Keep the 5th pick.. If carl does this, he will solidify his claim as the most ignorant and worthless GM ever.. who never won shit..
No matter if we go down and take Ellis instead of Gholston and get a 2nd rounder out of the deal.......Pioli will own King Carl. No one pulls one over on draft day.

Direckshun
I just hope the Chiefs use this rivalry to their advantage. If these are the two teams going at it, they will outbid each other far more competitively than the Vikings and Bucs did.

I want Carl to get a steal here. I think one might fall in his lap. Dropping a spot or two is not the end of the world...

BigMeatballDave
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Herm wants PenningtonNuthooks...:#

noa
Obviously, the deal with the Jets would be preferable so we can still have our pick of Gholston or Ellis.
So they probably know that and will be offering less.

Direckshun
I honestly believe we're going to get an elite player.

Again...

Jake Long
Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Vernon Gholston
Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey

Every single one of them an elite player. We'll be fine dropping a spot or two.

dirk digler
I just hope the Chiefs use this rivalry to their advantage. If these are the two teams going at it, they will outbid each other far more competitively than the Vikings and Bucs did.

I want Carl to get a steal here. I think one might fall in his lap. Dropping a spot or two is not the end of the world...

Yep. Might as well play them off each other and see which one gives up the most

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
i wouldn't do it for less than a 2nd....

but having the jets and pats fighting each other for our spot is good...

if you could promise me ellis would be there, I'd do it....but most likely Carl is thinking about Clady/Albert...

milkman
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I posted this news in a thread earlier today.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183491

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I trust Scott Pioli to evaluate NFL talent over King Carl's feeble talent. If Pioli is wanting to move up to get Gholston then he doesn't like Ellis.

If true? Ellis must have an issue?

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
of course, if the Pats want gholston that bad we should probably draft him ourselves...

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I trust Scott Pioli to evaluate NFL talent over King Carl's feeble talent. If Pioli is wanting to move up to get Gholston then he doesn't like Ellis.

Not necessarily. The Patriots could desperately use an OLB with Gholston's skills. They don't have that much use for Ellis, who's more of a 3-tech, not the 1-tech or 0-tech nose tackle that the Pats' 3-4 uses.

BigMeatballDave
I honestly believe we're going to get an elite player.

Again...

Jake Long
Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Vernon Gholston
Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey

Every single one of them an elite player. We'll be fine dropping a spot or two.6. I'm not counting McFadden.

the Talking Can

the pats are pretty solid at DT compared to olb/de....

noa
Don't you guys think the Jets will offer less because they know we would rather move down only one spot instead of two?
Jets are certain to draft someone we don't want (at least I don't think we want him), but the Pats want a guy we might actually like, too.
If the front office is completely sold on Ellis over Gholston, then we can play them off each other and it doesn't matter, but if we want the option of picking either, then Jets actually have some leverage and can offer us less.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
6. I'm not counting McFadden.
You don't have to count him. The Jets are taking McFadden.

Tribal Warfare
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Ellis must have an issue?

Ellis doesn't fit for there Defense, Sedrick is perfect for the cover 2

Direckshun
Don't you guys think the Jets will offer less because they know we would rather move down only one spot instead of two?
Jets are certain to draft someone we don't want (at least I don't think we want him), but the Pats want a guy we might actually like, too.
If the front office is completely sold on Ellis over Gholston, then we can play them off each other and it doesn't matter, but if we want the option of picking either, then Jets actually have some leverage and can offer us less.
I wouldn't want to be either the Jets or the Patriots. These guys have a history battling each other for Draft spots, and I'm almost sure that any result we get out of this will be a steal.

The Jets will offer us less because we'll be moving down less. But in the end I believe we could get a serious steal here.

Direckshun
+1

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Welllll in this scenerio if the Chiefs think Ellis is better they are not taking Gholston anyway so a 5th rounder for free would be acceptable to them.

Basileus777
I don't want us to trade down unless Long and Dorsey aren't there. If they're gone and we can trade down and still get Ellis, that would be great.

Adept Havelock

The football equivalent of Baghdad Bob without an unsubstantiated rumor? Color me shocked.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm willing to bet this deal won't get done until the Chiefs are actually on the clock. They will listen to trade offers from the Jets and the Pats for 9 minutes and 45 seconds, and if anything good is offered, they'll make the trade.

It all depends on who's there. If they feel like they have a good shot to get "their guy" at 6 or 7, they'll make the trade.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
They lie. They want Chris Long too.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm willing to bet this deal won't get done until the Chiefs are actually on the clock. They will listen to trade offers from the Jets and the Pats for 9 minutes and 45 seconds, and if anything good is offered, they'll make the trade.

It all depends on who's there. If they feel like they have a good shot to get "their guy" at 6 or 7, they'll make the trade.

exactly. stupid to trade right now.

guess they want to test the stupidity of our GM.

Tribal Warfare
04-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Another thing to think about is the 7 spot is Matt Ryan range also.

BigMeatballDave
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't want us to trade down unless Long and Dorsey aren't there. If they're gone and we can trade down and still get Ellis, that would be great.What he said...

Frazod
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Sure would be nice if we could trade positions with the Jets, toss in one of our 3rd rounders and get their 2nd rounder. I wonder if Carl could pull that off?

2 1sts
2 2nds
2 3rds

That would ROCK

:rockon:

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
The important thing to keep in mind, for everybody scared of a Pioli trade, is that the Pats aren't out to screw the Chiefs, they're out to screw the Jets.

The Pats are in no way threatened by a team they're only going to see once every four years. They want to keep their division down, not the dreaded Kansas City Chiefs.

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Thats what Adam said. It depends on what happens at 2,3,4 and then they will deal. Sounds to me like they want a spcific person and if he's there they will pull the trigger.

But if Dorsey, Long or Gholston are there do you let them go?

MadMax
04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
exactly. stupid to trade right now.

guess they want to test the stupidity of our GM.

It's been tested many times... Results - he is stupid :shake: :D

Delano
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
5th overall (Chiefs) -- 1700
6th overall (Jets) -- 1600
7th overall (Patriots) -- 1500

The Jets will be offering us a 4th rounder, the Pats may offer us multiple picks or their pick at the bottom of the 2nd...

Wouldn't that be a coup.

Basileus777
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM

There is also the chance that the Ravens trade up if Ryan falls that far. I can't imagine the Ravens would allow Ryan to go one pick ahead of them without trying to make a move.

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
The important thing to keep in mind, for everybody scared of a Pioli trade, is that the Pats aren't out to screw the Chiefs, they're out to screw the Jets.

The Pats are in no way threatened by a team they're only going to see once every four years. They want to keep their division down, not the dreaded Kansas City Chiefs.
So you think the Pats give us a 2nd rounder to just screw with the Jets?

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Depends on who's on the board. It's not worth missing on certain players.

the Talking Can

yup

BigRedChief
There is also the chance that the Ravens trade up if Ryan falls that far. I can't imagine the Ravens would allow Ryan to go one pick ahead of them without trying to make a move.
We trade down and get the Pats pick and a 2nd rounder

and then trade down to the Ravens and let them take Ryan and get another 2nd or 3rd rounder from the Ravens and we take Albert with the Ravens pick? I could live with that.

Basileus777
We better not trade down in order to reach for Albert. That would be the worst case scenario for me.

milkman
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
We trade down and get the Pats pick and a 2nd rounder

and then trade down to the Ravens and let them take Ryan and get another 2nd or 3rd rounder from the Ravens and we take Albert with the Ravens pick? I could live with that.

I like Brandon Albert, bit he isn't top 10 calibre.

Frazod
04-23-2008, 09:28 PM

F#ck their 2nd round pick. It's only 2 spots from the 3rd round anyway.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I think there's a chance.

Their second rounder is just north of 200 points. The difference between the 5th and the 7th pick is exactly 200 points.

I think there's a chance.

Sure-Oz
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd rather get Long or Gholston personally

BigRedChief
I like Brandon Albert, bit he isn't top 10 calibre.
Lots of mocks have us taking him at #5. Never underestimate King Carls passion to prove he's smarter than the rest of the NFL.

royr17
If you do this, then you make the trade with the Jets, you dont let the Pats up there to snag Vernon Gholston if he's there. Make the trade with the Jets.

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
If you do this, then you make the trade with the Jets, you dont let the Pats up there to snag Vernon Gholston if he's there. Make the trade with the Jets.

Why the hell would I care which of those teams gets Gholston?

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Honestly, you can't worry about what other teams are going to be like after the Draft. You've got too much to worry about with your team -- whether the guys you got fit your system, whether they'll pan out, what your team can do with their talent.

You can't worry about running interference against the Pats, too. That's how you out-think yourself and blow great opportunities.

Besides, Gholston is one of the players Herm probably wants. Not that it will matter anyway, as he's going to end up in Oakland (my prediction).

milkman
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Lots of mocks have us taking him at #5. Never underestimate King Carls passion to prove he's smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Regardless, I don't like the idea of Albert in the top 10.

I'm not even sure he's top 20, and I was talking about moving him to tackle before anyone.

markk
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
so we are supposed to be like charlie o finley and the yankees now? if the value is there, who cares who we trade with

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm guessing it plays out like this:

1. Miami -- J. Long
2. St. Louis -- C. Long
3. Atlanta -- Dorsey
4. Oakland -- Gholston

The Chiefs can now pick between Ryan and Ellis. I'm guessing both the Jets and the Pats, being 3-4 teams that Ellis doesn't fit, will want McFadden and gamble with the Chiefs for him.

This assures the Chiefs that either Ryan or Ellis (probably Ellis) will be there at #7. Now they get to pick they player they probably would have picked at #5 anyway for cheaper.

royr17
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Why the hell would I care which of those teams gets Gholston?

The Chiefs traded Jared Allen. So they need Vernon Gholston but I wouldnt have a problem with Chris Long either.

aturnis
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Why would you care who you're trading w/ as long as they are not in the AFC West...

markk
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM

1. Miami -- J. Long
2. St. Louis -- C. Long
3. Atlanta -- Dorsey
4. Oakland -- Gholston

The Chiefs can now pick between Ryan and Ellis. I'm guessing both the Jets and the Pats, being 3-4 teams that Ellis doesn't fit, will want McFadden and gamble with the Chiefs for him.

This assures the Chiefs that either Ryan or Ellis (probably Ellis) will be there at #7. Now they get to pick they player they probably would have picked at #5 anyway for cheaper.

it would be VERY nice to still get Ellis and pick up a second. if the board falls that way it will be a dream scenario

Brock

1. Miami -- J. Long
2. St. Louis -- C. Long
3. Atlanta -- Dorsey
4. Oakland -- Gholston

If it plays out like that, I don't think NE is playing anymore.

the Talking Can

1. Miami -- J. Long
2. St. Louis -- C. Long
3. Atlanta -- Dorsey
4. Oakland -- Gholston

i can't even comprehend getting ellis and another pick....lol...this draft is turning into Willie Wonka's Draft Factory...

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
That's exactly right.

I do like the sound of trading down to getting another 3rd rounder and still getting Ellis-I fear that someone else might covet him, though and jump us.

Logical
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Herm wants Pennington:cuss: for even mentioning the possibility

KCUnited
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
New England is paranoid that NY is going to take Gholston. They both run a 3-4 and Gholston is not going to at 4-3 team.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:44 PM
If it plays out like that, I don't think NE is playing anymore.
That's a fair assumption.

If the Pats are in, it's probably for Gholston, and the Chiefs will need to hike up the price hardcore. Not because it's "omg Gholston and the Pats!?!?!", but because the Chiefs are probably giving up a player they love.

Expect at least a couple picks if that happens, some of them in 2009.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
i can't even comprehend getting ellis and another pick....lol...this draft is turning into Willie Wonka's Draft Factory...

LMAO It would be awesome if we ended up with 14-15 picks. Our team would instantly be better IMO.

SBK
If we could trade down and take Ellis that'd be cool so long as we didn't give up Gholston to do it....

Direckshun
New England is paranoid that NY is going to take Gholston. They both run a 3-4 and Gholston is not going to at 4-3 team.
But he could excel in a Cover 2 4-3 at defensive end.

He's strong enough to play the position, and our 4-3 emphasizes speed and pursuit over physicality.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM

What makes you think the Chiefs wouldn't draft Gholston?

siberian khatru
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
This draft stuff is almost as fun as winning football games.

KCUnited
04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
But he could excel in a Cover 2 4-3 at defensive end.

He's strong enough to play the position, and our 4-3 emphasizes speed and pursuit over physicality.

Agreed, he could, but not as well as Ellis could exceed in a 4-3.

Direckshun
If we could trade down and take Ellis that'd be cool so long as we didn't give up Gholston to do it....
If we're trading with the Pats, it means we're giving up Gholston.

Expect a very high pricetag.

SBK

Because he's the guy I want. LMAO

KCUnited
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM

We would benefit way more from a pocket collapsing DT. The knock on our defense is that we can't stop the run, why draft a guy that has the potential to get pushed around in the run.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Because he's the guy I want. LMAO

I know exactly how you feel.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
why draft a guy that has the potential to get pushed around in the run.

Only a N0ob would ask that question :)

markk
i tihnk the knock on our defense is all of it

JBucc
A trade down to get Ellis while picking up an extra pick or two would be great. Also, if we're going to reach for an OT anyway might as well get some extra picks out of it.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
It's been tested many times... Results - he is stupid :shake: :D

ROFL:D

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
How f*cking dumb do you have to be to realize that Gholston is the same size as Jared Allen, faster and stronger, and yet he can't play in a C2, but Allen can??

What kind of dipshit drugs are they handing out tonight?

eazyb81
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM

ROFL

I don't know why but that made me laugh at loud.

Brock
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
How f*cking dumb do you have to be to realize that Gholston is the same size as Jared Allen, faster and stronger, and yet he can't play in a C2, but Allen can??

As dumb as Logical.

eazyb81
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Yeah, because Gholston will hurt us in next year's AFC Championship game, right?

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:58 PM

If you got some I would hope you would share

eazyb81
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I have no problem trading down a couple spots if we are still in line to get an elite player.

If we do this, hopefully we package a few of these extra picks to get another pick or two in the 2nd.

royr17
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, because Gholston will hurt us in next year's AFC Championship game, right?

Gholston is a beast. I look for him to be a LB at the next level, but this guy could probably be a resembalance of Derrick Thomas but wont be Derrick Thomas.

I think he will be hard as hell to stop coming off the edge as a LB, but look for him to be able to do good at DE too. He gives us versatility, he can play DE and he could probably play rushing LB.

Plus he's really fast, ran a 4.58.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
We've gotten enough picks, and they are in a prime spot. Stay put, take the player with the most upside in the draft, and be happy that you replaced your overpaid DE with a guy who has the potential to be twice as good and half as stupid.

Brock
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Gholston is a beast. I look for him to be a LB at the next level, but this guy could probably be a resembalance of Derrick Thomas but wont be Derrick Thomas.

I think he will be hard as hell to stop coming off the edge as a LB, but look for him to be able to do good at DE too. He gives us versatility, he can play DE and he could probably play rushing LB.

If the Chiefs trade down, it's going to be to give up Gholston. If they can still get Ellis even after trading down, then it's probably worth it.

JBucc
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
The Jets want Gholston too. If they wanted McFadden they'd be talking to the Falcons or Rams to get ahead of Oakland. So obviously if we're discussing trade with two teams who want Gholston we don't want him.

The only way the Jets would trade with us for McFadden is on draft day and if they believe the Pats want him as well.

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

I always love this time of year when I can read your draft insight. It's so informative! Keep up the good work, Roy!

TEX
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, Kc needs plenty of help everywhere, but wouldn't you like to have at least one elite level draft pick. If they do nothing, they get one of the elite players. We have plenty of picks now, and we get the elite draft pick as well. If they want to trade Minnesota's pick to move down, go for it.

With our luck, he'd be another "elite" player like Ryan Sims. :banghead:

KC kid
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Sedrick Ellis remind me of ryan sims.
I am really tired of whiffing on d tackles.

milkman
04-23-2008, 10:09 PM

Yeah, cus just like Ryan Sims, he was productive for one year, and played on the same line with an elite DE.

Brock
04-23-2008, 10:09 PM

so let's whiff on some other position?

SBK
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
We've gotten enough picks, and they are in a prime spot. Stay put, take the player with the most upside in the draft, and be happy that you replaced your overpaid DE with a guy who has the potential to be twice as good and half as stupid.

Yep. No way do you give up Gholston.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 10:14 PM

Need some more to drink??

KC kid
04-23-2008, 10:14 PM
so let's whiff on some other position?

Call me paranoid, but we have whiffed on rough 700 tackles in the last 5 years. I am ready to whiff on something a little more glamorous.

I am still slightly suspicious the Chiefs are going to a 3-4 with the pick up of williams in the offseason. Why else would the Chiefs get another linebacker?

Yes, I want Gholston.

eazyb81
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM

They're actually nothing alike.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Call me paranoid, but we have whiffed on rough 700 tackles in the last 5 years. I am ready to whiff on something a little more glamorous.

I am still slightly suspicious the Chiefs are going to a 3-4 with the pick up of williams in the offseason. Why else would the Chiefs get another linebacker?

Yes, I want Gholston.
Conventional wisdom does show that you only need three linebackers to run a 4-3 defense.

:spock:

milkman

Yes, I want Gholston.

Well let me see if I can answer this.

Could it be that Nap Harris sucks ass, and Donnie Edwards is like 200 years old?

Count Alex's Losses
I am still slightly suspicious the Chiefs are going to a 3-4 with the pick up of williams in the offseason.

:cuss::mad::grr::shake:

banyon
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Yes, I want Gholston.

I agree to the extent that we need to take a couple more swings at an early round QB. It doesn't have to be this year, but soon if Brodie shows nothing next year.

Dartgod
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I love thread tags...

royr17 > wpi
ROFL

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Too good to be true.

xbarretx
04-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Seriously, now that we've gotten a truckload of picks, I wouldn't be a fan of trading down at all.

yeah but dont WE want Gholston?

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
this is a tangent....but

we really really need a MLB...more than DE and CB

build good defenses front to back, and inside out...we have been weak up the middle for a damn decade..

Ellis at #5 and a MLB with our 2nd would immediately show results...using this draft to strengthen the core of our D for years is muy bueno...immediate results, shore up the run D

of course, I have no idea if there is a MLB who fits the bill this year....

The Bad Guy
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
If the Chiefs make a trade with either team, before they are on the clock, then they are ****ing retarded. See how the draft shakes out first.

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
this is a tangent....but

build good defenses front to back, and inside out...we have been weak up the middle for a damn decade..

Ellis at #5 and a MLB with our 2nd would immediately show results...using this draft to strengthen the core of our D for years is muy bueno...immediate results

of course, I have no idea if there is a MLB who fits the bill this year....Not to disagree, since I'm with you philosophically in how a defense is built, but unless you're looking to start Rashad Barksdale, Tyron Brackenridge and/or Dmitri Patterson we kinda sorta could use a corner...

Them's some slim pickins, even for a position that can be devalued in a cover-2.

Logical
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
As dumb as Logical.
Fair enough this time, I thought JA's weigh low was about 280.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Not to disagree, since I'm with you philosophically in how a defense is built, but unless you're looking to start Rashad Barksdale, Tyron Brackenridge and/or Dmitri Patterson we kinda sorta could use a corner...

Them's some slim pickins, even for a position that can be devalued in a cover-2.

sure, but we could get some CBs later....I'm looking for a LB in the 2nd, top of the 3rd...

again, hypothetical...i know nothing about this LB class...other than it appears to be weak and we'd probably be better off waiting a year but what fun is that...

i'm really thinking more abstractly about rebuilding a team...i hope we invest in core (as in strength) positions...QB,OL,DT,MLB....

SBK
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
sure, but we could get some CBs later....I'm looking for a LB in the 2nd, top of the 3rd...

again, hypothetical...i know nothing about this LB class...other than it appears to be weak and we'd probably be better off waiting a year but what fun is that...

i'm really thinking more abstractly about rebuilding a team...i hope we invest in core (as in strength) positions...QB,OL,DT,MLB....

I think the best MLB is Mayo from Tennessee, probably have to take him with our 17 pick though.....

Coach
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM

MLB has been the weakness of this team for quite some time. Even that, I still feel that to have a respectful MLB, other than the MLB being "good" is to have a solid DT's to distrupt the O-linemen to get to the MLB. Also, the DT's (and to an extent, DE's) performance will determine how good/bad the MLB will be.

In my eyes, I'd build up right from the trenches.

aturnis
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Well let me see if I can answer this.

Could it be that Nap Harris sucks ass, and Donnie Edwards is like 200 years old?

Not to mention the fact that they let their incumbent backup linebacker go...

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM

i'm really thinking more abstractly about rebuilding a team...i hope we invest in core (as in strength) positions...QB,OL,DT,MLB....With Surtain retiring or becoming a FS any day now, I'm not sure 3rd and 4th round round corners are the best way to go, looking to the future. I think there's a chance we could last a really good one at 17 or 35, and I don't think it would be a bad pick at all.

I generally feel better about mid-round LBs than CBs, I get the impression it's a lower-priority position in the draft, and better talent's available later, but maybe that's just me.

The nice thing about this draft is that we can take so many different combinations of players. We could take a DT, DE, OT, CB and LB (just as an example) and none of them would have to be 5th round scrubs...

Anyong Bluth
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Kansas City Chiefs: 2008 Super Draft Champions!

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
MLB has been the weakness of this team for quite some time. Even that, I still feel that to have a respectful MLB, other than the MLB being "good" is to have a solid DT's to distrupt the O-linemen to get to the MLB. Also, the DT's (and to an extent, DE's) performance will determine how good/bad the MLB will be.

In my eyes, I'd build up right from the trenches.

That's why trading down to 6 or 7 makes sense-Ellis doesn't fit the 3-4.

I'm just glad we have options this year.

Brock
04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
You can take LBs or you can take CBs. They mostly all suck in KC.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
i am seriously loving this draft

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Mort's reporting the Saints might move up to 4 and take Ellis if they miss out on Dorsey.

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
i am seriously loving this draftThis is literally better than the season. I've never seen one like it.

I can't wait for the meltdown after we draft doogie howser with the #5.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Mort's reporting the Saints might move up to 4 and take Ellis if they miss out on Dorsey.

that would suck, and guarantee mcfadden to the jets

Coach
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
That's why trading down to 6 or 7 makes sense-Ellis doesn't fit the 3-4.

I'm just glad we have options this year.

I wasn't aware that the Chiefs are playing a 3-4.....?

SBK

He needs to follow that report up with Herm Edwards on a dead sprint to the podium to take Gholston.

the Talking Can
This is literally better than the season. I've never seen one like it.

it is....like no joke for real, it literally is....

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
i am seriously loving this draft The good news is it's so deep at O-line which is an obvious weakness. We could take a couple of defensive players or possibly a DT and WR, maybe even a QB with our first two picks and still net a quality O-lineman in the 2nd or later. It will be interesting to see who they take with their first overall pick.

royr17
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
that would suck, and guarantee mcfadden to the jets

Yea Ellis might go to the Saints and McFadden to the Jets, but that would leave us in perfect position to take a player like Vernon Gholston.

Groves
04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Pioli will own King Carl. No one combs one over on draft day.

Wha?

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Yea Ellis might go to the Saints and McFadden to the Jets, but that would leave us in perfect position to take a player like Vernon Gholston.
Gholston is a beast, but our run defense sucks, I'd worry that he wouldn't improve us much in that area. I also believe he's probably a better fit in a 3-4 defense-just my take.

royr17
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Gholston is a beast, but our run defense sucks, I'd worry that he wouldn't improve us much in that area. I also believe he's probably a better fit in a 3-4 defense-just my take.

Yea I know what your saying, but you can pass on the type of talent that Gholston has if he's there. He's a boom or bust player, and the last top 5 draft pick we had was derrick thomas, and those derrick thomas type players dont come around too often.

He may not work out at Defensive End, thats ok, then try him at Outside Linebacker and see if he has the skills. He has the speed and athletism to be a very good pro player at either Defensive End or Outside Linebacker.

Just my take on that.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
a couple extra picks aren't worth it if they guys you pick sucks

we need an elite player IN THE 1ST ROUND of this draft.

no 2nd round or 4th round pick is worth missing out on the top 5/6 guys of this draft.

ChiefsOne
04-23-2008, 11:05 PM
and the last top 5 draft pick we had was derrick thomas, and those derrick thomas type players dont come around too often.

Recall Ryan Sims

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Recall Ryan Sims

Sims wasnt a top 5 pick.

Brock
04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Sims wasnt a top 5 pick.

I wish Minnesota would have gotten their pick in on time.

Reerun_KC
04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
To acquire our 5th pick.

I hope King Carl doesn't do a deal with the Pats. No way King Carl is going to get a good deal out of Pioli.

Pioli would totally clown suit Carl.....

I hope Pioli pulls something off and pwns Carl in the process....

Brock
04-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Yeah, that would be really AWESOME. You dickhead.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
a couple extra picks aren't worth it if they guys you pick sucks

we need an elite player IN THE 1ST ROUND of this draft.

no 2nd round or 4th round pick is worth missing out on the top 5/6 guys of this draft.I think Ellis is an elite player, that just so happens to not fit the 3-4, so the two teams behind us are ideal partners for a trade.

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Your hate for Carl and Herm is unbelivable man. I dont like them either but geez.

royr17
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Recall Ryan Sims

Ryan Sims was not a top 5 pick, he was a top 10 pick, but the only top 5 pick that i can remember the chiefs making was derrick thomas, i mean i didnt see it personally cause i was too young, but from what i've seen in past drafts he was the only one that i can tell was picked from the top 5.

noa
04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Your hate for Carl and Herm is unbelivable man. I dont like them either but geez.

Yeah, he actually roots against his own team because of it...

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM

It all depends on who's there. If they feel like they have a good shot to get "their guy" at 6 or 7, they'll make the trade.Yup. If Long or Dorsey is still available at 5, they make the pick. Otherwise, they can trade down.

Thig Lyfe
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
the tags in this thread are muy hilarioso

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:35 AM

If we trade, I'm confident we draft either Brandon Albert, or Matt Ryan. Sedrick Ellis is the only other option. I also don't think we trade down until we see who St. Louis/Atlanta/Oakland pick. If Glenn Dorsey somehow slides through there, the card with his name on it should already be printed and sitting on Carl's desk. I don't think I've been this excited about a draft EVAR!!!

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Honestly, you can't worry about what other teams are going to be like after the Draft. You've got too much to worry about with your team -- whether the guys you got fit your system, whether they'll pan out, what your team can do with their talent.

You can't worry about running interference against the Pats, too. That's how you out-think yourself and blow great opportunities.

Besides, Gholston is one of the players Herm probably wants. Not that it will matter anyway, as he's going to end up in Oakland (my prediction).

If the Raiders had the 1st pick in the draft the choice would've been Chris Long. If he's on the board, he's as good as a Raider. My prediction.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
If we trade, I'm confident we draft either Brandon Albert, or Matt Ryan. Sedrick Ellis is the only other option. I!

I believe Ellis is the frontrunner concernig those you mentioned

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:44 AM
If the Chiefs trade down, it's going to be to give up Gholston. If they can still get Ellis even after trading down, then it's probably worth it.

Yep. You have the opportunity to add a guy like Chilo Rachal to Sedrick Ellis. I'd take those two guys over Gholston. Ellis is a monster too.

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Need some more to drink??

LMAO

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, that would be really AWESOME. You dickhead.

LMAO

Der Flöprer
04-24-2008, 01:51 AM
I believe Ellis is the frontrunner concernig those you mentioned

I hope so.

patteeu
04-24-2008, 01:53 AM

What if you can get the same guy at 6 or 7 that you would have taken with 5?

patteeu
04-24-2008, 01:59 AM

If the story is true, it's kind of hard to understand why either team wants to trade up in the first place, but assuming it's true, why not trade down with the Jets and then trade down again with New England if we don't want McFadden (in the case of the Jets) or Gholston (in the case of the Pats)?

Micjones
04-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I think I'd consider trading with New England.
Trading back two spots will net us a third round pick somewhere in the 70's. Having four picks in Round 3 gives us a great shot at retooling this offensively line all in one fell swoop. A Chilo Rachal/Anthony Collins Round Three paired with a CB/WR combo would be nice.

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2008, 06:50 AM
this is a tangent....but

Ellis at #5 and a MLB with our 2nd would immediately show results...using this draft to strengthen the core of our D for years is muy bueno...immediate results, shore up the run D

of course, I have no idea if there is a MLB who fits the bill this year....

Next year is the year to draft a MLB: James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga or Brandon Spikes - all absolute studs.

http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/laurinaitis.jpghttp://www.cnnsi.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/scouting/images/usc.jpghttp://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gifhttp://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/dakcman/spikes.jpg

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I think I'd consider trading with New England.
Trading back two spots will net us a third round pick somewhere in the 70's. Having four picks in Round 3 gives us a great shot at retooling this offensively line all in one fell swoop. A Chilo Rachal/Anthony Collins Round Three paired with a CB/WR combo would be nice.

NE's 3rd round picks are #69 and #91 so they'd have to give up a little value and fork over the 6th pick in the 3rd round.

the Talking Can
04-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Next year is the year to draft a MLB: James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga or Brandon Spikes - all absolute studs.

http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/laurinaitis.jpghttp://www.cnnsi.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/scouting/images/usc.jpghttp://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gifhttp://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/dakcman/spikes.jpg

thanks for the info

suds79
04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Yep. You have the opportunity to add a guy like Chilo Rachal to Sedrick Ellis. I'd take those two guys over Gholston. Ellis is a monster too.

Trading down and acquiring additional picks and still landing Ellis would be huge.

Yes we might loose Gholston but I’m not convinced he’s better than Ellis.

John_Wayne
04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
He said that the Pats are interested in Gholston and the Jets want McFadden. Trade with the Jets and let them have McFAdden. Then trade with the Pats and let them have Gholston. We don't want either of them anyway. We can probably still get who we want after dropping two spots.

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Trade with the Jets and let them have McFAdden. Then trade with the Pats and let them have Gholston. We don't want either of them anyway. We can probably still get who we want after dropping two spots.

:stupid:

NY CHIEF
04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Really does not matter.... We will probably pick another LB to play fullback anyway :banghead:

KCrockaholic
04-24-2008, 09:13 AM

LMAO! funny, but that would kick a$$!

Nzoner
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
That is cool we are going to have like 14-15 picks and god knows we need every single one of them.

The veterans are going to have a blast with all those rookies in camp.

recxjake
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
nfl draft > Christmas

DaKCMan AP
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
The veterans are going to have a blast with all those rookies in camp.

Both of them? ;)

Nzoner
04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Both of them? ;)

LOL,rookies on the first floor of the dorm in River Falls

HolmeZz
04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
If Chris Long is off the board, sounds fine. The person we'd want to take at 5, other than Gholston, would still be available.

MTG#10
04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Why would the Jets want to trade spots with us to take McFadden when they know we wont be taking him?

BigRedChief
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Why would the Jets want to trade spots with us to take McFadden when they know we wont be taking him?
To keep others from jumping in front of them.