PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Planet Preference for the #5 Pick in 2008 NFL Draft

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey....Poll to follow....based on likely availability of BAAs and position/need for the Chiefs, that may enter the equation.

Comments and thoughts on poll trends and picks.....welcomed, encouraged, and....please....entertain us.

;)

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I'd like to draft Laetitia Casta to be my starting tight end. I'd eventually develop her into a wide receiver.

banyon
04-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Damn you Kotter. Why private?

88TG88
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Dorsey

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
He's actually third on my list behind Dorsey and Chris Long, but I voted for Matt Ryan.

I just want to see something bold and crazy.

I think there's zero chance of it, however.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Damn you Kotter. Why private?

I thought I made it public..... :shrug:

Click on the numbers in the poll...

banyon
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I thought I made it public..... :shrug:

Click on the numbers in the poll...

I stand corrected. I'm still not used to the new board. I was looking for the names in a different place.

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
ellis or ryan

can't decide...one is immediate production and help...one is delayed, but potentially huge reward...

thurman merman
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
offensive line!

aturnis
04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Picked the top 5 minus Ryan, and other....trade down doesn't seem to be a bad choice.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Dorsey if he falls that far-I don't think he will, but why not, it's a choice, afterall?

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Dorsey if he falls that far-I don't think he will, but why not, it's a choice, afterall?

I have a hunch Dorsey or Long will fall to 5....if either do, you snatch them up IMHO.

Basileus777
04-23-2008, 11:14 PM
1) Long
2) Dorsey
3) Gholston

Just please no reaching for an OT like Albert.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-23-2008, 11:14 PM
chris long, sed ellis, or gholston and i'm happy about it. dorsey of course as well, but i don't think there is any chance he falls to 5.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I have a hunch Dorsey or Long will fall to 5....if either do, you snatch them up IMHO.The Rams are probably the biggest wildcard ahead of us. The rumor is St. Louis personel like Chris Long, but Linehan wants Dorsey and they said the head coach would get his way. New Orleans seems to want to trade up for Dorsey, as well. I don't think he'll fall to us, unfortunately.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 11:31 PM
The Rams are probably the biggest wildcard ahead of us. The rumor is St. Louis personel like Chris Long, but Linehan wants Dorsey and they said the head coach would get his way. New Orleans seems to want to trade up for Dorsey, as well. I don't think he'll fall to us, unfortunately.

In that case, Ellis falls to us....I think that makes the pick easy. As much as I like Dorsey, I think Ellis could be a better Pro player. :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
In that case, Ellis falls to us....I think that makes the pick easy. As much as I like Dorsey, I think Ellis could be a better Pro player. :hmmm:I like Ellis alot and if we can get him at 7, that would be a great move. It just makes too much sense. It looks like all the teams are thinking the same thing at 5, 6, and 7. The Jets will most likely take Gholston, McFadden, or Ryan. The Pats will take Gholston or trade down, IMO. Chiefs are sitting pretty for a trade down-just two spots, though.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 11:46 PM
In that case, Ellis falls to us....I think that makes the pick easy. As much as I like Dorsey, I think Ellis could be a better Pro player. :hmmm:
The Saints might jump ahead of us courtesy of Al Davis and take Ellis-that's my concern.

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2008, 11:49 PM
The Saints might jump ahead of us courtesy of Al Davis and take Ellis-that's my concern.

Saints are going to lose their second round pick to the Giants for Shockey, so they will be losing their ammo.

HolmeZz
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Chris Long's the best player in this draft and should be running away with this poll.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Dorsey

I have a feeling he's hoping NO or Atl draft him though.

Micjones
04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Matt Ryan.

Start the rebuilding process with a serious QB commitment.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Matt Ryan.

Start the rebuilding process with a serious QB commitment.

See my post in the 35th pick thread.

ClevelandBronco
04-24-2008, 02:10 AM
I think the Chiefs should allow their time to expire.

They should also figure out a way to allow Herm and Carl to expire.

ClevelandBronco
04-24-2008, 02:18 AM
The last thing you want to do is to pay someone to play football.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 07:53 AM
...They should also figure out a way to allow Herm and Carl to expire.

We are with you on Carl.... :grr:

KCUnited
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Long
Dorsey
Ellis
Ryan

Molitoth
04-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Chris Long's the best player in this draft and should be running away with this poll.

I agree.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
And general consensus that a player on the defensive side would be the BPA

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Gholston or Long since dorsey wont be around

boogblaster
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Long is gone OT is our best pick ... Clady .... I did vote for the DE from Michigian State but don't think Ill stick with that choice ....

Sully
04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
There are actually 5 people who think Clady would be a good pick at 5?

Wow...just...wow...

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
There are actually 5 people who think Clady would be a good pick at 5?

Wow...just...wow...

I don't think he'd be a great pick....but I trust Herm and the scouts (as long as Peterson stays out of it) and if they can't trade down, I think they might reach for him at 5....based on need.

FTR, it would ONLY be in the event that Long, Dorsey, and Ellis are ALL gone. I just don't see us taking McFadden or Ryan, although based on BAA we probably should.

A lot of scouts have him as a top 10 players....I can see us reaching, even if we shouldn't. The "strengths" portion of this bio makes him sound like a second coming of Willie Roaf, though....

:hmmm:

Ryan Clady
OT | (6'6", 309, 5.15) | BOISE STATE
Scouts Grade: 96
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Displays excellent initial quickness and overall agility for his size. Very effective pulling and getting out on second-level as a run blocker. Gets adequate hand placement and has above-average balance. Can seal the edge when asked to reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder. Gets set quickly in pass pro. Has very little trouble with speed rushers. Can mirror and slide versus double moves. A natural knee bender. Extends long arms once in position and can ride edge rushers past the pocket when he gets his hands on them. Plays under control and appears comfortable when left on an island. Gets into defenders legs when goes low and is an effective cut blocker. Works from the snap until the whistle and looks to throw blocks downfield.

Weaknesses: Does not show great lower body strength and is going to have problems driving defenders off the ball in short-yardage situations. Lacks ideal explosiveness, hasn't learned how to roll hips into blocks and fails to knock many defenders back at the point of attack. Occasionally will get beat by inside quickness. Needs to learn to set while staying more balanced. Can be overaggressive, lunges a little too much and is vulnerable to push-pull moves. While shows adequate awareness in pass protection and helps out when nothing comes to him, over commits at times and has some problems picking up delayed blitzes. Big enough to hold ground but bends at the waist rather than the knees and is going to have some problems holding ground working against NFL caliber bull rushers. Can get jumpy when defenders start jumping around before the snap and he's vulnerable to false starts.

Overall: Clady redshirted in 2004. In his first active season at Boise State (2005), he made 11 starts at right tackle. In 2006 he moved to left tackle, where he was the starter in all 26 games over the next two seasons. He was a second team All-America selection in 2007. Like a lot of young offensive linemen, Clady needs to get stronger and sharpen his technique. However, he clearly has the frame, quickness, agility and work ethic to quickly develop into a quality starter at left tackle in the NFL. Clady projects as a mid-first round pick, as a result.

Sully
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Strengths: A natural knee bender.

Weaknesses: but bends at the waist rather than the knees

These are hilarious!!!

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:25 AM
These are hilarious!!!

ROFL

Yeah. I guess it depends on the film that respective writers saw....heh. ROFL

In fairness, inconsistency in technique is not all that uncommon, especially when they don't come from a Division I marquee program.

Sully
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah. I guess it depends on the film that respective writers saw....heh. LOL

In fairness, inconsistency in technique is not all that uncommon, especially when they don't come from a Division I marquee program.

I agree, and I cetainly don't think there is a "perfect" player in this draft. But watching Clady play, the small amount I did, I was totally and greatly unimpressed. And that's being kind.

Even this eval, where his strengths make him look like the second coming of Roaf, has him listed as a mid-1st. Fine, take him at 17. But not at 5. Not if Ryan, Ellis, or any of the 15-20 guys who are better than him are there, just because OT is a need.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I want to put in the disclaimer before the inevitable "Who the **** do you think you are!!!" claims come flying. Of course, i just happen to be right about this particular player.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree, and I cetainly don't think there is a "perfect" player in this draft. But watching Clady play, the small amount I did, I was totally and greatly unimpressed. And that's being kind.

Even this eval, where his strengths make him look like the second coming of Roaf, has him listed as a mid-1st. Fine, take him at 17. But not at 5. Not if Ryan, Ellis, or any of the 15-20 guys who are better than him are there, just because OT is a need.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I want to put in the disclaimer before the inevitable "Who the **** do you think you are!!!" claims come flying. Of course, i just happen to be right about this particular player.

The mocks I've looked at have him gone before 17 in most instances....which is why I can see the Chief's reaching for him. If we wait on OL, I think Otah is more likely at 17....

Like you, JMHO.

the Talking Can
04-24-2008, 10:36 AM
taking Clady over Ryan would be wrong for so many reasons....

Clady is the one pick that would make this draft smell like a fart....

Sully
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM

I already let my wife know that if they pick Clady, she may want to go shopping fora a couple of hours to get away from me.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Maybe a trade-down with Carolina or Baltimore is in the works....that would make it more palatable. He seems to be the consensus number two tackle in most places I've looked.

With any luck though, Long or Gholston (or Ellis) fall into our laps and push us into waiting on OL.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I already let my wife know that if they pick Clady, she may want to go shopping fora a couple of hours to get away from me.

So who do you think they should draft for LT? :shrug:

the Talking Can
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe a trade-down with Carolina or Baltimore is in the works....that would make it more palatable. He seems to be the consensus number two tackle in most places I've looked.

With any luck though, Long or Gholston (or Ellis) fall into our laps and push us into waiting on OL.

i'd much rather have williams or albert, both of whom played against tougher competition and who are more "player" than "prospect"...

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
i'd much rather have williams or albert, both of whom played against tougher competition and who are more "player" than "prospect"...

Fair enough. I'm just going on what I'm reading....cause I just don't get to watch much college football.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Several of the more reputable Mock sites.....now have Chris Long falling into our laps.....how SWEET would that be. A month ago, a week ago....I would have never thought that possible. :)

Sully
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
So who do you think they should draft for LT? :shrug:

I don't know...

Williams?
Nicks?
Baker...

Someone later in the draft?

I simply dont' want to see a scenario where they are bypassing better players to pick a marginal one (IMO) because he fits a percived need. We have needs all over the place, and by putting all out eggs into the LT basket, we will hurt ourselves with this rebuild.

CupidStunt
04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
1. Dorsey
2a. Ellis
2b. Long
3. Gholston ... I think
4. Ryan ... if not before
5. If they take anyone else, get me another 12-pack.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
1. Dorsey
2a. Ellis
2b. Long
3. Gholston ... I think
4. Ryan ... if not before
5. If they take anyone else, get me another 12-pack.

I think Ellis falls behind Long and Gholston, now that JA is a Viking.