PDA

View Full Version : Football Last Allen Thread: NFL to wipe off his two strikes

Marco Polo
04-23-2008, 09:44 PM
SI.com's Don Banks reports that if Jared Allen stays incident free until September, the NFL will wipe his two past strikes off the books.
His most recent DUI would be exactly two years old at that time and the league would no longer hold it against him. Another DUI before September might get Allen suspended for an entire year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/23/snaps/index.html?eref=si_nfl

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
lol...the nfl hates us

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
lmao

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Good read on the two sides of the trade, though.

Nightfyre
04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
It speculates that the NFL may wipe the strikes. It does not definitively state they will.

One league source told SI.com on Wednesday that Allen's two strikes in the program get wiped off the books if he stays incident free through September, at which time his most recent DUI will be two years old. He would then be out from under the threat of a year-long league suspension if he incurred another DUI after September, the source said. But that scenario could not be confirmed by an NFL spokesman Wednesday, leaving it uncertain whether Allen is a high risk for a career-interrupting suspension.

aturnis
lol...the nfl hates us

dis es tru

beach tribe
This was a great deal, one more screw up, and Jared is.....................BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA, Somebody ****in shoot me.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
LMAO

So why didn't we sign him again? HOLY SHIT.

banyon
I guess that solves all that "he's one drink away from a suspension" worry. Does Brad Childress have pics of goodell?

beach tribe
It speculates that the NFL may wipe the strikes. It does not definitively state they will.

If he doesn't screw up between now and then he's golden.

beach tribe
04-23-2008, 09:53 PM
LMAO

So why didn't we sign him again? HOLY SHIT.

We didn't sign him because we didn't want to pay him. Plain, and simple.

We are cheap.

Demonpenz
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
allen just has to stay sober until then. Go allen go! he only has to get through like 4 steps!

Marco Polo
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM

We are cheap.

Or maybe we didn't sign him because he didn't want to play for a rebuilding franchise. He wanted to win AND get a big contract.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow-that seals it for me-carl is an ego-maniac, who couldn't take the heat-what a puss.

SBK
LMAO

beach tribe
Or maybe we didn't sign him because he didn't want to play for a rebuilding franchise. He wanted to win AND get a big contract.

And be as far away from Carl as possible. I don't blame in if it's any, or all of those reasons. He doesn't want to end like Tony after all.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM

We are cheap.

Could be but we are going to pay out alot of money to 2 first round draft choices that have never played a down in the NFL.

Adept Havelock
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, this pretty much shoots the "He was 1 DUI away from a year suspension" argument between the eyes.

:shake: :banghead:

JBucc
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
wat

noa
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
You've gotta be kidding me

the Talking Can
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
There seems to be real debate within the league about the second highest-rated offensive lineman behind Michigan's Jake Long, the first overall pick. Some say it's Boise State tackle Ryan Clady, and some maintain Virginia guard Branden Albert -- who projects to tackle in the NFL -- will wind up being the better pro.

Said one league scout: "I always go with intelligence in a situation like this. Albert is a smart guy, and very dedicated. There's a lot going on at guard, a lot of stuff changing on the fly.''

Some within the league have raised concerns about Clady's low Wonderlic Test score -- said to be a 14 -- and questioned his maturity level in regards to some off-field conduct.

BIG K
04-23-2008, 10:03 PM
SI.com's Don Banks reports that if Jared Allen stays incident free until September, the NFL will wipe his two past strikes off the books.
His most recent DUI would be exactly two years old at that time and the league would no longer hold it against him. Another DUI before September might get Allen suspended for an entire year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/23/snaps/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Honestly, who gives a ****? Good for JA and the Vikes if it proves to be true. Either way, it was a good deal for both teams. Chiefs are rebuilding and they were not going to pay him either way, nuff said on the issue. This issue is now in the past, let it stay there.

Can we please move on to the next subject?

No disrespect at all but, it's over, move along...

Baconeater
04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Why the hell is this just coming out now? Jesus ****ing Christ. :shake:

noa
I really hope they don't do this. Not for any reasons with Allen or our organization, but for the message it will send. Goodell is trying to crack down on bad behavior, supposedly, but the fact that this is even a possibility is ludicrous. Repeated DUIs are a huge threat to other people's lives and are immensely selfish. To pretend that two DUIs can be erased is just ridiculous and counter to everything Goodell is trying to accomplish. It just sends the message that you don't take DUIs that seriously.

Iowanian
He has THREE(3) DUI s and just opened a bar in KC.

I'd like to send him a free rental car and a case of Beer to celebrate his new found happiness in Minnesoooda.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
There seems to be real debate within the league about the second highest-rated offensive lineman behind Michigan's Jake Long, the first overall pick. Some say it's Boise State tackle Ryan Clady, and some maintain Virginia guard Branden Albert -- who projects to tackle in the NFL -- will wind up being the better pro.

Said one league scout: "I always go with intelligence in a situation like this. Albert is a smart guy, and very dedicated. There's a lot going on at guard, a lot of stuff changing on the fly.''

Some within the league have raised concerns about Clady's low Wonderlic Test score -- said to be a 14 -- and questioned his maturity level in regards to some off-field conduct.
I have to say, converting a player is a concern, but Albert is a mauler. I don't know if you've watched tape on him or not, but the guy gets down the field like a FB and completely knocks players out of his way. I'm totally impressed with his athletisism-now whether that translates to all-pro in the NFL, I don't know. Of course, I only saw highlights of his footage, which showcased the GOOD, but I was impressed.

Demonpenz
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
wouldn't you get some jail time for another dui though?

xbarretx
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM

thats how you DEBATE!!!! :clap:

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
That shows how much of a first-class prick carl is. He ought right lied.

Reerun_KC
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
ROFL

Carl and the Cheaps!

Mr. Laz
04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Why the hell is this just coming out now? Jesus ****ing Christ. :shake:
you don't think the Chiefs didn't know?

of course they did ....... it just didn't serve their purpose to announce the fact.

Spectre
04-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Pour some more salt in their wounds Roger! I'm lovin it here! ROFL:clap:

Smed1065
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
If he doesn't screw up between now and then he's golden.

I find this hard to believe because it has been 4 DUI's not just 2, in 10 years.

banyon
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
wouldn't you get some jail time for another dui though?

In Kansas it's a mandatory 48 Hours + 90 days house arrest for every 4th and beyond. 5th is no worse than 4th and etc. All DUI's count in your lifetime.

Of course most prosecutors ask for more than the minimum. I ask 1 more month for the # of dui (5th = 5 months, 6= six months, etc. )+ impoundment + ignition interlock+ DL suspension.

Baconeater
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
you don't think the Chiefs didn't know?

of course they did ....... it just didn't serve their purpose to announce the fact.
I'm surprised they were able to keep it a secret if that's the case. If this is the NFL's policy someone should've known about it besides Carl.

BigRock
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Calling all retards: if Allen gets in trouble again, he is completely and totally F'D regardless of whatever the league substance abuse policy says. Goodell reduced his suspension last year on the grounds that Allen was trying to straighten out.

Allen goes back on that, he makes the commish look stupid. And he's screwed.

patteeu
04-24-2008, 01:19 AM

Wow, 14 is pretty low.

blueballs
04-24-2008, 01:26 AM
he will die young
die jumping from a plane or swimming with sharks

Mr. Flopnuts
04-24-2008, 01:26 AM

What? Seriously? Someone tell me this is bullshit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Under what circumstances would the NFL do this?

Now I have heard that after a certain period of clean testing (with drugs obviously) players will move beyond the more random and frequent drug testing of their peers, but they don't totally wipe the slate clean.

This stinks of bullshit to me.

BigRock
04-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Under what circumstances would the NFL do this?

Now I have heard that after a certain period of clean testing (with drugs obviously) players will move beyond the more random and frequent drug testing of their peers, but they don't totally wipe the slate clean.

This stinks of bullshit to me.
If someone in the NFL's substance abuse program stays clean for a certain amount of time, they can get their past transgressions wiped away so that they aren't AUTOMATICALLY suspended. The same thing happened last year with Travis Henry... or it was supposed to, but he failed another drug test just before the point where he would have avoided a suspension.

The key word here, obviously, is automatically. They aren't automatically suspended... but that doesn't mean the commish can't decide to punish them. And if Allen was busted for yet another DUI, there's no doubt Goodell would drop the hammer on him. And the punishment would probably be significant since Goodell went to bat for him with the suspension reduction last season.

This aspect was talked about last year when Goodell cut his suspension to two games... how Jared was catching a break, but any further screwups would probably be treated even more harshly.

He'd be up Shit Creek without a paddle. And all of that doesn't even take into consideration the legal situation for a multi-time offender.

Boris The Great
04-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Everyone in this thread going OMG CARL IS JUST BEING CHEAP should be kicked in the nuts by a mule. What the NFL does to Jared after another DUI would be pretty irrelevant since the only football he would be playing will be at Leavenworth with Michael Vick.

The laws in Minnesota are pretty strict, too. He would be looking at a few years with another one on his record.

Otter
04-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if DUI convictions stack when they occur across states?

For instance, if here were to get a DUI in Minn would it be considered his first? I don't think that's a federal charge...is it?

Won't make much difference to the NFL if charges aren't swiped clean most likely but he may avoid jail time if that's the case.

TEX
04-24-2008, 06:21 AM

We are cheap.

That would appear to be the case. :cuss:

banyon
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Does anyone know if DUI convictions stack when they occur across states?

For instance, if here were to get a DUI in Minn would it be considered his first? I don't think that's a federal charge...is it?

Won't make much difference to the NFL if charges aren't swiped clean most likely but he may avoid jail time if that's the case.

It's up to the individual state. KS used to only count the ones you got in the last 5 years. Now they count all of them you got in any state, ever. These are the MO rules. (http://www.1800duilaws.com/states/mo.asp)

banyon
04-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Wow, 14 is pretty low.

It's no 6.

Deberg_1990
04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Opening a bar cant look good? Thats the equvilent of Pacman opening a strip club.

OnTheWarpath58
04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
People are freaking our over something a "league source" said, that could not be confirmed by a league spokesman.

I'm not buying it until the commish confirms.

jjchieffan
04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I was thinking about this already. I remembered when Travis Henry almost got suspended last year. He was within weeks of it being wiped off his record.

Mile High Mania
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
I forget the wording, but if a player goes X amount of time with no issues they cycle OUT of the program... just like Henry last year. He *failed* the test within weeks of being cycled out, but thanks to a technicality... he avoided a year ban.

This isn't just a thing where the league is being nice to JA now that he is a Viking.

eazyb81
04-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Come on guys, don't believe everything you read on the internet from an anonymous source.

There's 0% chance of the NFL just wiping the slate clean with JA after his two DUIs, especially considering all the bad pub they've had recently from Vick and Pacman. Use your head, this makes no sense.

Chiefnj2
04-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Come on guys, don't believe everything you read on the internet from an anonymous source.

There's 0% chance of the NFL just wiping the slate clean with JA after his two DUIs, especially considering all the bad pub they've had recently from Vick and Pacman. Use your head, this makes no sense.

It also made no sense for the commish to cut his suspension in half. That was very unusual for such a hard ass guy. Perhaps the fans don't know the details of the "convictions". IIRC, his 1st DUI was handled under a diversion program and on the 2nd one he never blew into the machine and pled no contest. Perhaps there is a loophole.

patteeu
04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
It's no 6.

Did someone we're thinking about drafting get a 6? Or are you referring to someone else?

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 08:40 AM
jared didn't want to be here....gtfo it people...get ready for the draft, our new "dynasty" is about to start

CoMoChief
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Hahaha, serves all you ****ers right for saying that he's one more DUI away from being suspended for a year.

Extra Point
04-24-2008, 08:48 AM
If Pacman can still play, what does that tell you?

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
If Pacman can still play, what does that tell you?

ill laugh if he doesn't get re-instated but im sure JJ will suck the good out of goodell

BigChiefFan
04-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm just glad it shows that carl is a big phony who will stoop to any level to get his way.

Carl got egg on his face and he didn't like it. Poor 'lil puss.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
jared didn't want to be with Carl Peterson ....gtfo it people...get ready for the draft, our new "dynasty" is about to start
FYP

omg ......... did you really say "dynasty" :eek: ROFL

you really need to cut back on the crack

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Holy shit. **** you, Carl. ****ing **** you, you ****ing ****.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
FYP

hence the " " ;)

Short Leash Hootie
04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
speaking of his bar...I bet the owner of that thing is THRILLED Allen is a Viking now LMAO

I wonder what they're going to change the name to? Maybe when Boomer gets cut he can come back to KC and make that his career?

Reerun_KC
04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
FYP

ROFL

Priceless!

banyon
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Did someone we're thinking about drafting get a 6? Or are you referring to someone else?

Vince Young.

patteeu
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Vince Young.

Thx. That's amazing.

Valiant
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
There is no way this would happen.. Just some BS..

If it were true.. The amount of heat that would come down on Goodell and his office would be huge.. Hell, it would be justified.. I would definitely correlate racism with this if JA got off and others did not across the board..

And hypothetically if this is true and Carl knew, he is the dumbest mother ****er on the planet.. The only reason not to sign JA was because of the chance at suspension imo..

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
ROFL

Priceless!

Do you need smilies for quotes now??

BigRock
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Hahaha, serves all you ****ers right for saying that he's one more DUI away from being suspended for a year.
Jesus God.

All the Banks story means is that Allen wouldn't be automatically suspended under the terms of the substance abuse policy. If he was arrested again, he'd still have to answer for repeatedly violating the league's personal conduct policy (see: Pacman, Travis Henry, etc.)