PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sorry, Jets, Pats; Allen deal means top DE going to K.C

C-Mac
04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Sorry, Jets, Pats; Allen deal means top DE going to K.C.
(http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10795426)

Sorry if its a repost....

Clark Judge April 23, 2008
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Memo to Eric Mangini: If you're looking to draft Ohio State's Vernon Gholston here's a suggestion.

Get ahead of Kansas City.

I'm not saying the Chiefs take Gholston, but I am saying they're taking a defensive end with the fifth pick of Saturday's draft. That seems clear after their trade with Minnesota, a blockbuster deal that sent Jared Allen to the Vikings in exchange for Minnesota's first-round pick (the 17th overall), two thirds and a swap of sixths.

Until now Kansas City had been looking at an offensive lineman or Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with its first-round choice, with Ryan a long shot. But the exit of the NFL's sack leader leaves a void at defensive end, and the Chiefs are advised to fill it with their first pick rather than the 17th.

That takes us back to Gholston. He's the second-rated defensive end on most draft boards behind Virginia's Chris Long, and he's coveted by the Jets at the sixth position and the New England Patriots at the seventh spot.

You have to figure that St. Louis, Atlanta or Oakland chooses Long with its pick, which could -- or should -- leave Gholston there at the fifth spot.

But let's say St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland do the unimaginable, and pass on Long. That would leave Kansas City with the choice of Chris Long or Vernon Gholston at the fifth position.

Ah, ain't life sweet.

That's when the Chiefs strike -- provided, of course, the Jets or New England doesn't step in ahead of them. But if they're sold on Gholston or Long, I'd recommend it because there's a better chance of Chad Johnson sitting out the next three seasons than the Chiefs passing on either of those two.

And one should be there, with Gholston the more likely candidate.

He certainly fills a need. He had a school-record 14 sacks last year, including the only one surrendered all season by No. 1 pick, Jake Long. OK, so he's inconsistent, producing 11 of his sacks in four games, but I can't forget what one general manager told me about Gholston.

"When I look at him I see Carl Banks," he said. "I guarantee he produces double-digit sacks his rookie season."

I don't know about that, but I do know he should be front and center on the Chiefs' radar. The loss of Allen subtracts 15.5 sacks from the lineup, which means someone has to step in to make a difference.

I don't care if it's Long or Gholston, but I do know what the Chiefs do with their two first-round draft picks. They take the defensive lineman first, then look for an offensive lineman at 17 -- say, tackle Chris Williams or Jeff Otah.

There, now they're on their way to rebuilding that 4-12 mess from a year ago, and they can thank Minnesota.

Someone asked me today if I thought the Vikings overpaid for Allen, and, I do. But when a team has a conviction about a player it does what it can to get him, and I have no problem with that. Critics claimed the Giants overpaid in 2004 for Eli Manning, too, but they were sold on the guy, and look where it got them.

So, yes, Minnesota paid a steep price.

Now, let's look what it does for Kansas City. It gives them six of the first 82 draft choice and the opportunity to do what coach Herman Edwards has been preaching for at least a year -- improve by getting younger and faster.

Had the Chiefs not made the move they would have been in an uncomfortable position at the fifth spot. They would have had to reach for an offensive lineman -- say, Boise State's Ryan Clady -- or take a flyer on Ryan when they already have a young quarterback in Brodie Croyle.

But with Wednesday's deal they have the latitude to move first to replace Allen, then choose a quality offensive lineman later. They also can acquire cornerbacks and more offensive linemen with their own second- and third-round picks, as well as the two thirds they picked up from the Vikings.

This, folks, was a deal too good for the Chiefs to turn down. The Chiefs have at least four positions to fill, and they figure they can do it through this year's draft. That couldn't have happened before today.

"Unbelievable," said one NFC general manager. "This was a great, great trade for Kansas City."

Tell that to the New York Jets and New England Patriots. Twenty four hours ago, each was looking at the prospect of someone like Vernon Gholston falling to them. Not anymore.

Mile High Mania
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
So, the 5th pick is going to replace the "pro bolwer" they just traded away... thereby not addressing an immediate need.

Now, #17 is going to fill a need that could have been filled by a better player at #5. Sure, the two R3 picks are nice... as long as they don't fug up the picks.

Just playing devil's advocate.

I understand what they're doing... but, why not just trade Gonzo... get something and let him enjoy the twilight of his career somewhere else.

DaFace
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
"Unbelievable," said one NFC general manager. "This was a great, great trade for Kansas City."

Interesting.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah we must draft teh DE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mile High Mania
04-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Interesting.

The guy from Detroit, I'm sure...

ROYC75
So, the 5th pick is going to replace the "pro bolwer" they just traded away... thereby not addressing an immediate need.

Now, #17 is going to fill a need that could have been filled by a better player at #5. Sure, the two R3 picks are nice... as long as they don't fug up the picks.

I understand what they're doing... but, why not just trade Gonzo... get something and let him enjoy the twilight of his career somewhere else.

Like to Denver ? For your top 4 pics this year and next year, maybe, maybe. :D

Reaper16
Interesting.
Probably not a quote from an NFC North GM, however.

xbarretx
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Interesting.

as in a :shake: way or as in a :hmmm: way?

Mile High Mania
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Like to Denver ? For your top 4 pics this year and next year, maybe, maybe. :D

Enh, they're fine at TE...

Adept Havelock
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Because unlike Denver, we want to hang on to our future HOF TE. :shrug:

Besides, IMO a great TE is an excellent tool to help develop a young QB.

the Talking Can
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM

how do you figure?

no OL was worth our pick at #5...we get a much better value with a second pick, the bpa with our first pick, and 2 thirds too boot...plus the leeway of $30 mill to spend in FA in the next 2 years...

hard to complain about that...if trading Allen keeps us from drafting Clady at #5, that's even sweeter....

xbarretx
04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
how do you figure?

no OL was worth our pick at #5...we get a much better value with a second pick, the bpa with our first pick, and 2 thirds too boot...plus the leeway of $30 mill to spend in FA in the next 2 years...

hard to complain about that...if trading Allen keeps us from drafting Clady at #5, that's even sweeter....

Rep!

R&GHomer
04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Good read

DaFace
04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
as in a :shake: way or as in a :hmmm: way?

:hmmm: way

StcChief
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
sounds like MHM is bitter about our chances to improve?

xbarretx
04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
:hmmm: way

in that case my man i agree 100% IMHO the trade workes best for both sides! how often can we say that in KC .. or at least where we dont get shafted.. :huh: im happy with the deal providing we dont waste the extra picks

Count Zarth
04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Since Clark Judge is tucked firmly in Carl's hip pocket, this smells like smoke.

Rooster
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Since Clark Judge is tucked firmly in Carl's hip pocket, this smells like smoke.

Smoke?? :bong::bong:

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2008, 02:50 PM

I understand what they're doing... but, why not just trade Gonzo... get something and let him enjoy the twilight of his career somewhere else.Gonzo wouldn't have even remotely garnered as much as we got for Allen, and he also didn't want out of KC.

With this we have the chance to:
1. Replace a malcontent who's one strike away from a year-long suspension with a guy who has "supernatural" talent at #5.
2. Draft a starting-caliber OT (or CB) at #17. Either Williams or Rogers-Cromartie would make the day perfect even before our second-rounder.
3. Gain two additional top-100 picks. We now have three third-rounders. That is insane.

It's an opportunity to massively improve in both quality and quantity.

markk
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
this is all pure speculation.

Amnorix
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Pats more likely to move back than up, IMHO, though I think they'd love to have Ghoulston fall into their laps.

ChiefaRoo
04-24-2008, 03:01 PM
With the Fifth pick the Kansas City Chiefs take "some Guard" from Idaho State.....

J/K, I think KC made a very good trade.

keg in kc
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Pats more likely to move back than up, IMHO, though I think they'd love to have Ghoulston fall into their laps.Ghoulston.

A dead Gholston?

Impossible! Gholston laughs at death while he shaves his chest with its scythe.