PDA

View Full Version : MU MU finally gets its #1 ranking...in player misconduct

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Scrutiny of off-field behavior increases at MU
By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER
The Associated Press
COLUMBIA, Mo. | Ask any coach, athletic director or big-time booster: in college sports, rankings matter.

Look no further than Missouri, where the success of a football team that won a school-record 12 games and finished last season ranked No. 4 has catapulted the program among the nation's elite.

The baseball team is ranked fourth this week, and broad success in other sports, from wrestling and diving to women's soccer, has the school ranked 30th nationally in the Directors' Cup, which tracks overall athletic excellence.

There's even a poll where Missouri is ranked first among all Division I schools – but good luck finding anyone on campus bragging about that particular honor.

A Web site that tracks player arrests and other forms of misconduct by college athletes has the Tigers sitting at No. 1, thanks to the arrests of six reserve football players in separate incidents since September and the arrests of five men's basketball players – and the shooting of a sixth – in the past 14 months.

Clearly, winning the Fullmer Cup (named after a former Tennessee football coach who became known for his team's off-field problems) isn't among athletic director Mike Alden's goals.

"Anytime you have off-the-field issues, no matter what the success is on the field, it always brings concern," he said. "You're always trying to make sure that your kids are putting themselves in the right situations, and making the right decisions."

To be sure, context is important when discussing college athletes who get in trouble. For one, students who otherwise would receive little attention for their missteps if they didn't wear the Mizzou jersey instead see their mug shots on the evening news.

"The scrutiny is higher, and they're held to higher standards," Alden acknowledged.

The mistakes sometimes can be chalked up to youth. Four of the six football players who faced recent legal troubles were in their first or second year of college. Two of those players – defensive lineman John Stull and linebacker Marquis Booker – were kicked off the team after their brushes with the law.

Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel, who won't discuss individual disciplinary measures, summed up his philosophy of building a team – and by extension minimizing the phone calls from police officers or players behind bars – at an appearance before boosters Monday.

"We're constantly working on building relationships," he told Tiger Quarterback Club members. "The young players are starting to figure out how a Missouri player should act."

If the boosters' questions to Pinkel and Alden are any indication, die-hard fans don't seem too concerned about the danger of Missouri football and basketball becoming better known for player misconduct than on-field performance.

The nearly 200 boosters at the luncheon instead asked about the 2008 season schedule, a rash of parking tickets issued by campus police at the spring football game, and the pregame musical selections at Faurot Field.

Football players in particular "know ahead of time that if they get in trouble, they're going to pay the penalty – even if it means their careers are through," said Chuck Everitt, a Columbia pet store owner and Tiger Quarterback Club president.

And even the toughest disciplinarian can't control his players' every move, Everitt added.

"You just do the best you can," he said. "The coaches can't live with them 24 hours a day. But they can certainly take action."

:D

http://stlsportsmag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fulmercupstandings1.JPG

DaFace
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm tempted to change this to a poop thread. The idea with the prefixes is so that people who are fans of a particular team can find that type of news quickly and easily - not so that you can use it just to get people riled up.

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
You are borderline ridiculous, DaFace.

jjchieffan
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm tempted to change this to a poop thread. The idea with the prefixes is so that people who are fans of a particular team can find that type of news quickly and easily - not so that you can use it just to get people riled up.

It's fine by me. We now have that wonderful feature...Ignore thread. And that is just where this crap is going. On my ignore list.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup

http://i30.tinypic.com/28sbmg0.jpg

Alan Scher Zagier doesn't know what the ****:

Clearly, winning the Fullmer Cup (named after a former Tennessee football coach who became known for his team's off-field problems) isn't among athletic director Mike Alden's goals.How the **** do you see something about the Fulmer Cup and then fail to both spell and attribute its name correctly? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL YOU TURD.

I'm tempted to change this to a poop thread. The idea with the prefixes is so that people who are fans of a particular team can find that type of news quickly and easily - not so that you can use it just to get people riled up.Please stop changing prefixes. They shouldn't be some sort of rigid requirement, just an optional thing that's handy.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Why does it seem that idiot KU fans get more joy out of seeing Mizzou fail than celebrate their own achievements?

crazycoffey
04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
change it! You Da Man Da Face!

DaFace
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
You are borderline ridiculous, DaFace.

Eh, I'm not gonna. I just get tired of all the crap-slinging. But then, I can ignore threads too.

DaFace
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Please stop changing prefixes. They shouldn't be some sort of rigid requirement, just an optional thing that's handy.

I haven't been. :shrug:

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Eh, I'm not gonna. I just get tired of all the crap-slinging. But then, I can ignore threads too.

Are you kidding? Crap slinging is what we do best.

DaFace
04-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Maybe I just never noticed it before, but it seems like it's gotten ridiculous since last football season. Neither team seemed to have much to say about the other until then.

Reerun_KC
04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Why does it seem that idiot KU fans get more joy out of seeing Mizzou fail than celebrate their own achievements?
:)

Your not serious are you?

DaFace

Second response...

And you wonder why a monkey slinging poo would be a bad choice for an icon. :p

bowener
Im a student here, I fear for my life bc i live with a football player and I work at the arena everyday around the basketball players. I know one of these days Im going to get mugged or shot.

Valiant
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Besides the shooting one.. All seem to be minor.. I guess quantity over quality of arrests..

crazycoffey
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe I just never noticed it before, but it seems like it's gotten ridiculous since last football season. Neither team seemed to have much to say about the other until then.

KU still doesn't have much to say, they lost the game....

for you reerun. :p

siberian khatru
04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Was that a rumble of thunder I just heard?

Quick, Ari, better get your family in the cellar!

Reerun_KC
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
KU still doesn't have much to say, they lost the game....

for you reerun. :p
:clap:

And for you CC....
http://www.novakane.com/images/studio_2005/battery.jpg

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM

ROFL

alanm
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I've a hunch the Huskers will be falling down the list after peaking at 5. There's a no tolerance policy in effect after 5 of those kids were ticketed for MIP back in March.

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 02:01 PM

heh. Its lightning! Lightning I say! Head for the hills!

OMG!! Its worse than I thought... Im being chased by Mizzou athletes!

Oh Noooes!11

CoMoChief
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM

It doesn't seem that way at all.

From what I can remember KU fans have been celebrating all school year with football and basketball while MU generally stops celebrating around the new year.

Don't act like it doesn't ever happen on the other side of the table buddy, seriously.

Spott
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Crap slinging is what we do best.

Yeah, that and sucking fat dicks.

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
This reminds me of the teams that are currently on probation for cheating. Has a team ever won a championship while on probation for cheating? It would feel great to win it all (MU fans have very little experience with that), but it would be sad to realize that your team cheated to win.

Ari Chi3fs
04-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, that and sucking fat dicks.

you sound like a person with experience... after all, you are the "Snake" Champion.

Brock
04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

staggering irony

kcchiefsus
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
The only difference between Missouri and Kansas as far as player conduct is that guys like Aqib Talib test positive for marijuana 3 times yet he is never reprimanded for it.

I will take Missouri's situation where Pinkel won't take shit from his players and is not afraid to suspend them or kick them off the team.

Sure seams like Fat Bastard over in Lawrence is letting the inmates run the prison. Why suspend a player when you can just keep the infraction under wraps so it doesn't hurt your team?

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
The only difference between Missouri and Kansas as far as player conduct is that guys like Aqib Talib test positive for marijuana 3 times yet he is never reprimanded for it.

I will take Missouri's situation where Pinkel won't take shit from his players and is not afraid to suspend them or kick them off the team.

Sure seams like Fat Bastard over in Lawrence is letting the inmates run the prison. Why suspend a player when you can just keep the infraction under wraps so it doesn't hurt your team?

Talib, Rush, that WR for KU

MTG#10
04-24-2008, 05:33 PM
ROFL @ tags