PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Espn takes a look at previous first round picks

jjchieffan
04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/news/story?id=3358449&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft08%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3358449

The whole league is listed if you click the link. I only posted the Chiefs part

Kansas City Chiefs
After disastrous first-round picks in 2000 and 2002 and not having one in 2001, Kansas City has rebounded very well with its draft choices in the first round. The Chiefs might have the worst roster in the league right now, but you cannot blame their quartet of most recent first-round picks for the hole the Chiefs are in now.

Kansas City Chiefs
Year Player Pick Verdict Bottom Line
2007 Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU 23 He is an excellent worker who has developed the ability to use his size and strength to separate. He could be the No. 1 receiver the Chiefs have been looking for.
2006 Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State 20 Having Jared Allen on the opposite side was obviously a huge advantage for Hali, but he does have some ability in his own right.
2005 Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas 15 He is a very athletic player who can run, play in space and match up outside on the perimeter. Johnson is a versatile player who handles a lot of unique roles in the Chiefs' defensive schemes.
2003 Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State 27 Johnson clearly has exceeded expectations, and with improved quarterback play and a better offensive line he will likely continue to be one of the top ball carriers in the league.
2002 Ryan Sims, DT, North Carolina 6 Sims was a talented player coming out of college who has struggled with consistency and durability throughout his career.
2000 Sylvester Morris, WR, Jackson St. 21 After a rookie season where he set franchise rookie records for the wide receiver position, injuries killed his career. Morris may have been that No. 1 WR the Chiefs have never found.

jjchieffan
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
You think our head office has been bad. Take a look at Dungver's first round picks. They rate 3 at even, 4 at failing to meet expectations and none at exceeding, although the way they suck off Cuntler, you would think they would have rated him as exceeding expectations. Personally, I have never been impressed with Cutler. Maybe I am just biased since he is a Donkey.

Denver Broncos
Jay Cutler has the makings of a true franchise quarterback and LB D.J. Williams is an integral part of Denver's defense, but for the most part, the Broncos' efforts in the first round are largely uninspiring. Because of their lack of production through the draft, the Broncos have too often chased free agents to plug the holes, which hasn't panned out.

Denver Broncos
Year Player Pick Verdict Bottom Line
2007 Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida 17 Moss was a unanimous selection for not meeting expectations. He needs to improve his motor and work habits. He needs a big offseason to show the staff he is ready to live up to expectations.
2006 Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt 11 Cutler is going to be a good one. He has progressed nicely and cannot be blamed for Denver's disappointing 2007 season. He should turn it up even further next year.
2004 D.J. Williams, LB, Miami (Fla.) 17 Williams has tremendous athleticism, speed and strength. He has been productive, but he seems to struggle, at times, when he has to key and diagnose.
2003 George Foster, OT, Georgia 20 Foster is a massive player who was a reach in the first round of the 2003 draft. He has never performed well on a consistent basis and now is looking at a backup roster spot for the Lions.
2002 Ashley Lelie, WR, Hawaii 19 Lelie never fit in Mike Shanahan's West Coast offense. He has been very inconsistent with concentration lapses and drops.
2001 Willie Middlebrooks, CB, Minnesota 24 Like many of Denver's draft failures, Middlebrooks did nothing for the Broncos' safety or cornerback positions. His time in the league was brief and very uneventful.
2000 Deltha O'Neal, CB, Cal 15 O'Neal was a tough player to grade because his career is full of so many highs and lows. His career is similar to his game on the field.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Morris is in the same boat as Percy Snow. They were good players and then got hurt n freakish ways. Not true busts IMO, bc they actually showed something on the field unlike Ryan Sims and Trezzlle Jenkins.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I've said this before KC has a history of taking top standouts at the Senior Bowl Like Ellis and Chris Williams.

jjchieffan
04-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Have they got this right? Did the Jets really have 4 1st round picks in the 2000 draft?

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Have they got this right? Did the Jets really have 4 1st round picks in the 2000 draft?

Yes, got a pick from New England for Bellicheck, and two from Tampa Bay for Keyshawn.

beach tribe
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, got a pick from New England for Bellicheck, and two from Tampa Bay for Keyshawn.

Was Herm in control of that draft. I know look it up. I am.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Lumping SlyMo in with Sims really is unfair, but I can't believe how much we've improved when it comes to picking first-rounders over the last few years. If we maintain that standard, with TWO picks higher than our previous two first-rounders (which produced starters)...

beach tribe
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Didn't think so.

banyon
04-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Man it's really pretty clear on that list. The teams that are good have a lot of green arrows and the teams that are terrible have red. I guess the fact that we've got more green than red lately is cause for hope.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM

No it was Al Groth. Then Groth left to go coach Virginia and Hermie got the Jets job in 2001.

Jamie
04-24-2008, 04:22 PM

They had the pick for Bellichick, so I think it would have been Parcells running the draft with Al Groh as the head coach.

jettio
04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Morris is in the same boat as Percy Snow. They were good players and then got hurt n freakish ways. Not true busts IMO, bc they actually showed something on the field unlike Ryan Sims and Trezzlle Jenkins.

Arguably, Sims elbow injury as a rookie and his foot injury in his 4th year kept him from being his best.

He was a reach for where he was picked because his senior year at UNC was his only really good year there and he had Peppers lining up next to him, but he may have proved worthy of being a first rounder in 2005, when he reported in shape and had a great training camp, before the foot injury in game 1.

Of course, if he worked harder he might have overcome the injuries. Sly Morris really had no chance to recover from his injury. Sims was a definite bust, but he flashed some ability, Trezzelle Jenkins never showed anything.