PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN Page 2 - Hill: Allen trades raises some issues

pr_capone
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
The reporter who takes the moral high road. :doh!:

repost?

I don't give a fug

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080425&sportCat=nfl&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

Since we're already knee-deep in the annual process of diagnosing the background, behavior and skeletons of future NFL players, how about we turn our attention to a current player whose past deserves a little more scrutiny?

A few days ago, the Minnesota Vikings pulled off a trade that potentially could have the same impact of Randy Moss joining the Patriots.

No, the Vikings won't compete for a perfect season, but by adding Jared Allen, one of the most ferocious defensive ends in the NFL, Minnesota made itself a serious contender to win the NFC.

But before we get too caught up in analyzing whether the Vikings now have the best defensive line in football -- and before Minnesota fans start booking flights to Tampa for the Super Bowl -- there are some things about Allen that need to be addressed.

First, the obvious: How can the Vikings justify inking Allen, who has been arrested multiple times for drunk driving, to a $74 million deal ($31 million guaranteed) when in 2006 they released wide receiver Koren Robinson because of the same problem?

When Minnesota picked up Robinson in 2005, he had a drunk-driving arrest, a four-game suspension and a rehab stint to his credit. Allen has been arrested for drunk driving three times since 2002 and his two DUIs in 2006 resulted in a four-game suspension in 2007 that eventually was reduced to two games.

"It's not consistent," said Minnesota state senator John Marty, an outspoken progressive who vehemently opposes new Vikings and Minnesota Twins stadiums being built with public dollars. "It almost says we care about the behavior, we care about the image and message we send to the community, but if he's a good player it trumps all that. My main hope is always that they've changed. A DUI, it's too deadly of a thing. It's like holding a loaded gun and pointing it at someone. Having one is serious, but when you have multiple ones, it suggests a serious problem."

For the record, Allen and his new team addressed his checkered past head-on at Allen's first news conference as a Viking. But before then, Allen said he'd quit drinking -- although nothing I read about Allen mentioned any professional help in doing so.

The Patriots didn't risk nearly as much on Moss as the Vikings have on Allen. On top of making the 26-year-old Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the league, Minnesota surrendered a first-round pick (No. 17 overall), a pair of third-round selections and agreed to swap sixth-round choices -- which now gives the Chiefs six picks in the first three rounds.

"I had extensive conversations with people that raised Jared, with people that played with Jared and people that coached with Jared," Minnesota coach Brad Childress told reporters this week. "I think he's learned from his mistakes and realizes what it takes to become positive and productive."

Let's hope this is true because it wasn't true with Robinson, whom the Vikings released after another DUI arrest barely a year after signing him.

This isn't to say the Vikings should have kept Robinson. He had his chance, blew it and deserved his outcome. But by signing Allen the Vikings prove a familiar truism in sports: Principles only apply when someone can't produce.

All that matters to the Vikings is that Allen led the NFL with 15 sacks in 2007 and went to the Pro Bowl. All that matters to Jerry Jones is that Pacman Jones is an electrifying returner and, if paired with Terence Newman, the Cowboys will have two of the best shutdown corners in the league. When Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney recently cut Cedrick Wilson for an alleged domestic violence incident, but not linebacker James Harrison, all that apparently mattered was that Harrison was a Pro Bowler and Wilson was not.

"It's not great PR for the team," Marty said. "People are more forgiving when the athlete is great. If they're a mediocre player and got a bad issue, they use that as an excuse. The better the athlete, some of the public is more forgiving."

Signing Allen doesn't exactly jibe with the new, more responsible environment the Vikings have been trying to create in the wake of the "Love Boat" scandal.

The day after Zygi Wilf purchased the Vikings, he instituted a 77-page code of conduct that went so far as to tell employees that if they stopped smoking, the team would pay half the costs of a hospital-sponsored program to help them quit. At the time, Wilf's brother and team president, Mark, said the policy was the "written expression of the class, dignity and integrity that we strive to maintain in our business dealings, and the class, dignity and integrity we expect from our players, coaches and staff."

And yet here they are signing a player that Kansas City Chiefs head honcho Carl Peterson once described as a "young man at risk."

There is no question Allen's talent commands the money he received. He's a high-energy player with enormous potential, and whatever his mistakes, he certainly deserves the opportunity to make amends. But whether his second (or third) chance should net him more than $70 million is up for debate.

Rain Man
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
So some set of parents named their two sons Zygi and Mark? If Mark is younger, I bet I can tell you when they stopped using drugs.

Dick Bull
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
good read

Demonpenz
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
If jared hasn't gone to AA or gotten some help he will relapse. No doubt. Just don't drive jared, not for the chiefs or vikings, for that someone on the road.

Color Red
04-27-2008, 05:53 AM
There is not enough said about this matter. What Jared says he'll do to change his way is one thing. What is too often more likely what happens is another.

Again, props to Carl Peterson for calling things out like he did. He could have butchered any hope to move Allen. Or he could have "looked the other way" with the character issue.

At this time, in view of the situation as it is, the Chiefs got a remarkable deal.

Color Red
04-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Oh, and by the way, pr capone doesn't give a fug because drunk driving doesn't concern him.

BigRock
04-27-2008, 06:03 AM
I had extensive conversations with people that raised Jared
A completely unbiased source of information, no doubt.

CupidStunt
04-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Even if Allen stays clean, I'm interested to see if he ever plays as well as he did in '07. And even then, I had him as overrated all season. When you think about it, he was real good, but he had a bunch of garbage sacks (two in the span of about 30 seconds as Kelly Holcomb held the ball for ages at the end of the first half, that comes to mind) and RARELY made a play in the fourth-quarter. In close games like Indy, Oakland and New York, he was nowhere to be found. The Raiders ran all over us to seal the game, Indy passed all over us with no pressure from anyone outside DJ, and the Jets marched down the field to score the game-winner with Kellen f'ing Clemens at QB.

He's a high-effort guy. That yields great results, but it can only do so much. He's not the most talented guy, far from it in fact. We essentially swapped him for Albert and two guys we'll draft in a couple hours. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really excited about those players. Albert is a guy who will work just as hard as Allen, if not harder, will never have off-field troubles, and actually has elite top-10 talent. If he's coached well (*shudder*), you could be looking at a trade-off that every team would make.

CHIEF4EVER
04-27-2008, 06:48 AM
This trade reminds me of the Herschel Walker trade and if this trade is half as successful for us as the Walker trade was for the Cowpukes we are going to be in GREAT shape.

mcan
04-27-2008, 06:51 AM
If jared hasn't gone to AA or gotten some help he will relapse. No doubt...

That's not true at all. Almost every person in my family has had an alcohol problem, and several of them have tried to quit from time to time. Even to the point where they've checked themselves into an institution for a month. Of course, all of them are still drinkers. Except my grandfather, who stopped cold turkey one day because he was sick of living that way. He died a few months later from a rare heart disease though, but he was able to enjoy a sober life for the first time since WWII. Most people who quit an addiction DO have relapses, but it has been shown by several studies (there is some debate out there) that the percentage of people who quit is the same with or without professional help.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=AA%20Bullshit&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv
Watch the whole thing if you will, but the nuts and bolts (stats) starts around the 8:30 mark.

As far as Jared goes, I think he's shown that he's capable of taking control of his own life and I think that's pretty commendable.

MTG#10
04-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Sorry guys, but getting two DUI's doesnt necessarily mean you're an alcoholic....just stupid. In my late teens and early 20's I partied and drank almost every day and drove drunk several times, I was just lucky never to get caught. Here I am 2 weeks away from my 29th B-day, a wife, 4 kids and I havent been intoxicated in 6 years. I have a 2-3 beers on game day during football season, but the rest of the year I very rarely drink at all. Am I an alcoholic? Not even close.

Bowser
04-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Even if Allen stays clean, I'm interested to see if he ever plays as well as he did in '07. And even then, I had him as overrated all season. When you think about it, he was real good, but he had a bunch of garbage sacks (two in the span of about 30 seconds as Kelly Holcomb held the ball for ages at the end of the first half, that comes to mind) and RARELY made a play in the fourth-quarter. In close games like Indy, Oakland and New York, he was nowhere to be found. The Raiders ran all over us to seal the game, Indy passed all over us with no pressure from anyone outside DJ, and the Jets marched down the field to score the game-winner with Kellen f'ing Clemens at QB.

He's a high-effort guy. That yields great results, but it can only do so much. He's not the most talented guy, far from it in fact. We essentially swapped him for Albert and two guys we'll draft in a couple hours. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really excited about those players. Albert is a guy who will work just as hard as Allen, if not harder, will never have off-field troubles, and actually has elite top-10 talent. If he's coached well (*shudder*), you could be looking at a trade-off that every team would make.

This is a good take on Jared, but the one thing he has going for him now as opposed to playing here is his supporting cast. Those twin d-tackles will only help him produce more, if that's possible.

I'm pretty pumped up about the kids we have coming in here, as well. Let's hope they keep batting 1.000 on the second day of the draft.

Friendo
04-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Rainman??

jjjayb
04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Sorry guys, but getting two DUI's doesnt necessarily mean you're an alcoholic....just stupid. In my late teens and early 20's I partied and drank almost every day and drove drunk several times, I was just lucky never to get caught. Here I am 2 weeks away from my 29th B-day, a wife, 4 kids and I havent been intoxicated in 6 years. I have a 2-3 beers on game day during football season, but the rest of the year I very rarely drink at all. Am I an alcoholic? Not even close.

Except he did get caught and that wasn't enough to stop him from drinking and driving and getting 2 more DUI's. If he got caught 3 times, how many times did he actually drink and drive?

MTG#10
04-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Except he did get caught and that wasn't enough to stop him from drinking and driving and getting 2 more DUI's. If he got caught 3 times, how many times did he actually drink and drive?
He's only had 2 DUI's, correct? That means he got caught once and was stupid enough (or maybe just immature enough) to not learn his lesson and get caught again. I drove drunk almost everyday for about 4 years straight and now hardly drink at all....I never got any "help" either, I just grew up. I still love beer but I only drink it occasionally and after 2-3 I call it a night (unless its a special occasion with the wife and the kids arent home). Im not saying JA isnt an alcoholic, Im just saying 2 DUI's doesnt automatically make him one - it may just be immaturity.

max sleeper
04-27-2008, 08:00 AM
He stopped drinking but didn't he just open a bar and grill in KC?

MTG#10
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Yeah which makes me wonder - since he was traded away, are people in KC still going to go to his bar? Why give a man business that doesnt want to play for your team? I hope it fails. :evil:

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I wonder how long until JWhit raises the "race issue" with JA and Koren Robinson??

Anyways, since when did NFL teams care much about character anyways?? Leonard Little is still playing...

Bob Dole
04-27-2008, 08:09 AM

What does his drinking or not drinking have to do with him opening a bar?

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 08:12 AM
What does his drinking or not drinking have to do with him opening a bar?

HUH??? JA opening a bar is like Pacman opening a strip club.

max sleeper
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
He does not drink anymore but he has a huge interest in other people drinking to help his business make money. It is good he is gone. Kids did not need to be looking up to him he is a train wreck waiting to happen. Go Chiefs!!

Reerun_KC
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Would Chiefs fans still go to the game at arrowhead if they banned beer in the parking lot and during the game?

JA is one person that hated Carl and didnt want to stay here...

How many people leave and drive home from Arrowhead on game days after drinking all day..

Let it go people, 99% of us at some time in our lifes have zero room to talk about others drinking and driving...

jjjayb
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM
He's only had 2 DUI's, correct? That means he got caught once and was stupid enough (or maybe just immature enough) to not learn his lesson and get caught again. I drove drunk almost everyday for about 4 years straight and now hardly drink at all....I never got any "help" either, I just grew up. I still love beer but I only drink it occasionally and after 2-3 I call it a night (unless its a special occasion with the wife and the kids arent home). Im not saying JA isnt an alcoholic, Im just saying 2 DUI's doesnt automatically make him one - it may just be immaturity.

No. He's had THREE DUI's. One of them in a frigging contract year. He's risked everything for his precious alcohol. Sorry, but that is an alcoholic.

MTG#10
04-27-2008, 08:34 AM
No. He's had THREE DUI's. One of them in a frigging contract year. He's risked everything for his precious alcohol. Sorry, but that is an alcoholic.Really? Wow I thought he had two. Well if you drive drunk after two DUI's you are the biggest dumbass ever or there is indeed a problem. :shake:

Bwana
04-27-2008, 08:49 AM
After yesterdays draft, I honestly don't give a crap that he is gone. If we can mine some gems today, we should be in great shape with the rebuilding process.

I wish Allen the best, but I am more than happy with what went down after having some time to think about it.