PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Quarterback

dtrain
04-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I think we will move down and pick up a 2nd round pick and one of them will be used on the quarterback. What do you planeteers think?

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
If they want a decent QB they'll have to at worst use the 2nd round pick they have now on it...

DBO82
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Flacco?

dtrain
04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Flacco?

I'm thinking Henne or Brohm if he is still around

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Flacco?

God I hope not..

I read a report that basically says the Seahawks have no idea why Brohm isn't rated higher and will fully consider taking him and sitting him behind Hasselbeck for 2 years then starting him if he's there.

DeezNutz
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm betting we package our 2nd and one of our 3rds (maybe a late rounder, too) to select Brohm at the bottom of the 1st. I don't see the Chiefs making 3 selections in the 3rd round; these picks are going to be used to bargain.

DBO82
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking Henne or Brohm if he is still around

Flacco's arm strength impressed me....

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Those are guys that usually bust, the guys that rise on arm strength...

Basileus777
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't mind taking Brohm, but please no Henne or Flacco.

Molitoth
04-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I would like to see Brohm in the second... absolutly not Ryan in the first.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Yes, because superior arm strength is what makes a great QB.

suds79
Flacco has the best arm but since when has that made a good QB? It hasn't.

Of the 2nd tier QBs, I think Brohm is interesting. It just doesn't make sense how a guy could be rated as a top 5 pick last year and this year slips.

I think Henne is also interesting in a mid round. Michigan QBs have typically faired pretty well in the NFL. Maybe it's the system they had there in that was good for grooming NFL QBs? I don't know.

Mecca
Flacco has the best arm but since when has that made a good QB? It hasn't.

Of the 2nd tier QBs, I think Brohm is interesting. It just doesn't make sense how a guy could be rated as a top 5 pick last year and this year slips.

I think Henne is also interesting in a lower round. Michigan QBs have typically faired pretty well in the NFL. Maybe it's the system they had there in that it was grooming NFL QBs? I don't know.

Henne isn't going to go in a lower round......he's mid 2nd at worst.

suds79
04-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Henne isn't going to go in a lower round......he's mid 2nd at worst.

Yeah I meant to say mid round which is why I changed it.

Not sure if I'd spend a 2nd on him or not but definitely a 3rd if he's somehow still there.

DeezNutz
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
The interesting thing about Brohm's slip is that he went from a pro-style offense, in which he excelled, to a spread and his play slipped a bit. One would think this wouldn't affect his stock nearly as much as it did.

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:50 PM
The interesting thing about Brohm's slip is that he went from a pro-style offense, in which he excelled, to a spread and his play slipped a bit. One would think this wouldn't affect his stock nearly as much as it did.

Brohm slid because his team was disappointing there's really no other reason...

Deberg_1990
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Why didnt Jay Cuter slip then?? Weird....

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:52 PM

His team was never good or expected to be good....

Brohm also doesn't have the rocket arm to make up for it that Cutler did. You got a strong arm people overlook everything, notice Joe Flacco.

DeezNutz
04-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Yeah, but from a player that most "experts" thought would be the #1 overall to potentially out of the first round? Which I don't think's going to be the case. Chiefs, late 1st.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
You got a strong arm people overlook everything, notice Joe Flacco.

True....every time i hear about these strong armed prospects i think of Kyle Boller.

Mecca
04-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Brohm had a disappointing team and his arm isn't huge and he's had some injuries so people start flagging him.

He also suffers from the same thing a guy like Henne does that Flacco doesn't. Brohm has been known and been on the map for 4 years. Everyone has seen him so many times they can pick out his flaws it's all negative.

Flacco is new so all they see is the things he does well, they don't notice his flaws yet..

Brohm got in a no win situation, huge numbers he's a system guy, not big numbers and it's "where are his numbers?"

Silock
04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
The easier explanation for the "slip" of Brohm is that this year's class is simply better.

ClevelandBronco
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
...Michigan QBs have typically faired pretty well in the NFL. Maybe it's the system they had there in that was good for grooming NFL QBs? I don't know.

I'd pull the trigger. Who knows? He could be the next Brian Griese.

ClevelandBronco
04-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I meant Tom Brady. Sometimes I forget which one is which.

Rain Man
04-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I'd be very, very happy with Brohm at 17. I could live with Ryan at 5. I don't want anybody else before about the 6th round.

HMc
04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd say all this talk of Brohm "slipping" is just that, talk, and he goes in the first 20 picks.

Rausch
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
It's clear we're taking someone. We have nothing behind Brodie...

SBK
04-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd be very happy with Brohm at 17. Very.

RJ
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Having a "strong arm" doesn't necessarily mean a quarterback can't succeed in the NFL.

Fish
04-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Keep ****ing doubting Thigpen.......

:BLVD:

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I think we will move down and pick up a 2nd round pick and one of them will be used on the quarterback. What do you planeteers think?I think that would be horrible when there's a good chance Brohm will be sitting there at 17.

suds79
04-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Having a "strong arm" doesn't necessarily mean a quarterback can't succeed in the NFL.

No that's true. It's just massively overrated.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Jay Cutler NEVER had a winning season in college.

With any luck, that will continue while he's in Denver. :D

oaklandhater
04-26-2008, 01:34 AM
If we want a QB we might as well do it right and take ryan.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2008, 01:40 AM
If Dorsey is off the board, I hope we can fleece a 2nd rounder out of NE for their 7, pick Sedrick Ellis, then use the extra 2nd rounder to trade back into the first to get Brian Brohm. Ellis/Williams/Brohm in the first 2 rounds? That would be awesome.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2008, 02:39 AM
If we want a QB we might as well do it right and take ryan.So what makes Ryan the right choice?

WARNING: If you say the word "intangibles," I will rip your arm off and beat you with it.

pr_capone
04-26-2008, 02:46 AM
So what makes Ryan the right choice?

WARNING: If you say the word "intangibles," I will rip your arm off and beat you with it.

ROFLROFLROFL

oaklandhater
04-26-2008, 06:39 AM

C.E. Wendler

If we make the assumption that the Chiefs won’t trade down out of the top five choices, it’s realistic to fit one of the above in a red jersey next season. Undoubtedly, all can help Kansas City – but who offers the most value?

Over the next 17 days we’ll weigh the pros and cons of each top prospect. The final choice is best left to others.

Part I: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

2007 stats – 4,507 yards, 31 touchdowns, 19 interceptions

Career stats – 9,313 yards, 56 touchdowns, 37 interceptions

Why draft a quarterback if you’re the Chiefs? Isn’t Brodie Croyle the starter going forward and the franchise passer for the foreseeable future?

For now, yes, but despite a few flashes of brilliance, no one really knows anything about Croyle, other than the fact he has a strong arm and is injury prone. He could be the next Fran Tarkenton or he could be the next Rob Johnson.

Croyle is no reason to pass on a franchise quarterback. If the Chiefs have determined that Matt Ryan is a franchise-caliber player in the process of scouting him, drafting him makes complete sense.

So what would Ryan bring to the Chiefs that Croyle doesn’t? Just look at a photograph of the Boston College grad.

Standing almost 6-foot-5 and weighing nearly 230 pounds, Ryan has the classic NFL quarterback build every team covets. That’s in stark contrast to Croyle, who has been criticized for his slight build and smallish frame.

And in that light, Ryan certainly appears to be more durable than Croyle has ever been. He missed only three starts over his final three seasons at Boston College, due to minor injuries. He also played through a broken bone in his foot as a junior, a testament to his durability and toughness.

Because of these qualities, Ryan started every game as a senior while playing in a pass-heavy offense (654 attempts in 14 games, or almost 47 passes per game). That enormous responsibility (being the driving force of the offense) will better prepare Ryan for NFL life more than any other factor.

After concluding his senior year, Ryan had racked up 34 starts while completing 59 percent of his passes. According to a system developed by Football Outsiders, those two statistics, more than anything else, are the best indicator for a college quarterback’s potential in the NFL.

The bar is set at 35 starts and a 57 percent completion rate. Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Jason Campbell, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler all passed that bar over the last ten years. That’s a fairly high success rate (not counting Leftwich, with the book not written on Campbell and Leinart).

Good news for Ryan, indeed.

The Reason I want Ryan is that he has chance to be a franchise QB not some crap QB who had a real upside that every one says we got has a steal.

ChiliConCarnage
04-26-2008, 07:20 AM
We normally waste our 2nd round pick, so I don't see why a qb there wouldn't work. If Henne or Brohm slip past miami/stl/atl.

milkman
04-26-2008, 07:34 AM

The problem is, it is the intangibles that makes him possibly the right choice.

Decision making, leadership, composure, charisma, are things that can't be quantified.

It's what makes Joe Montana one of the greatest ever, and Ryan Leaf the greatest bust ever.

cdcox
04-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Brohm is the only QB I really want out of this draft. If we take Ryan, I won't go ballistic and will take a wait and see attitude.

patteeu
04-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Brohm is the only QB I really want out of this draft. If we take Ryan, I won't go ballistic and will take a wait and see attitude.

Same here. My gut tells me that Brohm won't last until our 2nd round pick with Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore (and maybe a couple of other teams) all potentially in the market for a QB. I'd be OK with taking Brohm with the #17, but my ideal would be to trade into the later 1st round with our 2nd rounder and take him then. I doubt we get a chance at him if we pass on him at #17 though.

pr_capone
04-26-2008, 08:31 AM
The Reason I want Ryan is that he has chance to be a franchise QB not some crap QB who had a real upside that every one says we got has a steal.

You lost me when you started quoting a Wendler article.

Sully
04-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Jay Schroeder for the Hall of Fame!!!!!!!

chagrin
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't mind taking Brohm, but please no Henne or Flacco.

Why not Henne, just curious?

Mosbonian
04-26-2008, 08:47 AM
No on Brohm.....intangibles or not, there is a reason he slipped and you cannot just pin it on "the rest of the team". If you do, then your case suffers.

Sad thing is, someone will take a flyer on Brohm because in this draft he is rated the 2nd best QB. In the end, he will probably be no better than Couch, Carr, Klingler, Akili Smith, or any other can't miss QB drafted in the 1st round.

mmaddog