PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Go Carl! Go!

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2008, 10:29 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/749774.html

With 13 picks and counting and a handful of teams looking to trade into the 5th and 17th spots of the first round today, there might not be a better man at the helm of KC’s draft than President Carl Peterson. After all, he just put his reputation on the line by trading star defensive end Jared Allen.

Peterson traded Allen because it was the right move. Because of that, this weekend he can reshape his legacy with a wild, old-fashioned trade frenzy that might yield Kansas City a bright future.

Peterson needs a positive draft, because since the 2007 season ended, nobody within the Chiefs’ organization has been under more heat. Radio stations, TV stations, internet sites, fans and people on the street are all talking about the man who made Kansas City a football town again.

But fans and wannabe GMs don’t really care about that anymore. Arrowhead Stadium will struggle to be filled this year, blackouts are a real possibility and when you consider the team just traded away it’s best defensive player, the Chiefs are probably in for a rocky season.

But that can all change this weekend. In fact, I think the situation has taken a turn for the better already. Peterson is at the center of it all.

The draft begins with Kansas City at the forefront. ESPN and the NFL Network will be talking about the Chiefs more than any other team in this draft. In the last 24 hours, there have been trade rumors involving the Chiefs with the New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens.

Regardless of the trades, with 13 picks at the moment, I’d bet that the Chiefs will indeed shore up most of their talent-needy areas. There is talent to be found in every round, enough to bring Kansas City new offensive linemen, cornerbacks, wide receivers and defensive linemen.

But here’s what’s really nice - the Chiefs can afford to be greedy this weekend.

With the fifth pick, Peterson knows he’s sitting on the most pivotal pick of the entire draft. Four teams are vying to move into that slot. Peterson will play them all against each other.

Where that leads is anyone’s guess, but Peterson has admitted recently - more so than at anytime in his tenure - that he’s made some mistakes with personnel. He took responsibility for the failures of the Chiefs last year and admitted that keeping veterans around – especially those on the offensive line – probably wasn’t wise.

In a recent interview with the local rag, Peterson admitted the drafting of Ryan Sims (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3630577) back in 2002 was a mistake.

None of that really matters anymore. What Peterson can do today and Sunday is go out and take chances. He can go wild and draft quarterback Matt Ryan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3176817) or running back Darren McFadden (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3295116) with the first pick. He could deal that pick and pick up an extra second and third round pick this year, or perhaps a number one pick in the 2009 draft.

The Chiefs – and Peterson - have been brilliant in disguising their true feelings about the top players in this draft. You can make a case for any direction, from Chris Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3200069) to Sedrick Ellis (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3286694) to Branden Albert (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3542598) or maybe even Ryan Clady (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3043351).

We know the Chiefs covet LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, but they might look at Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3244585). Or, they may trade down a few slots and do it again 20 minutes later. They could find themselves drafting 10th, 11th or 14th and then again at 17th, all the while adding more prime picks in rounds two and three.

The Chiefs can truly strike gold this weekend. In order to do that, Peterson has to be willing to think outside the box. He has to have the same determination and guts as he did when he traded Allen to the Vikings.

He is, for the first time in his tenure in Kansas City, at the forefront of the NFL draft. He can change the perception of the Chiefs in the local and national media by being aggressive and striking while the iron is hot. More importantly, he can infuse his team with some outstanding young talent.

For decades, former Major League Manager and General Manger Jack McKeon was known as trader Jack for his blockbuster trades that sent shockwaves through the Hot Stove League.

This weekend, Peterson should take a page from McKeon and change his nickname from King Carl to Trader Carl. If he can successfully play poker better than the other NFL executives, he’ll forever change his legacy in the eyes of many fans.

If he pulls that off, all he has left to do with the plethora of young draft picks on the roster is wine’em, dine’em and sign’em.

petegz28
04-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Keep Carl as far away from our draft picks as we can!!!! We can't have him pissing off another good draft pick!

dirk digler
04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
So who is really running the Chiefs draft this year is it Carl or is it Herm\Kuharich?

J Diddy
04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
that wasn't that bad

Skip Towne
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
F*ck King Carl and WPI too.

banyon
04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
there might not be a better man at the helm of KC’s draft than President Carl Peterson.

Wait, let me think of someone who might be better...

..maybe someone who hasn't failed for the last 19 years?

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Wait, let me think of someone who might be better...

..maybe someone who hasn't failed for the last 19 years?

I think he's referring to the fact there are so many trade scenarios this year.

Brock
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I think he's referring to the fact there are so many trade scenarios this year.

That's even worse, in reality's opinion.

kstater
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
slurp, slurp.....

kstater
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Press credentials on the line?

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Press credentials on the line?

I think Nick just wanted to give Carl some love. He deserves it.

Rain Man
04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Go, Carl, go!

And take Herm with you.

keg in kc
04-25-2008, 11:09 PM
So who is really running the Chiefs draft this year is it Carl or is it Herm\Kuharich?I think it's been Herm\Kuharich for 2 years running, and Carl has even less pull now than in either 2006 or 2007.

Which ain't saying Herm\Kuharich will be any better in retrospect 5 years from now.

Guru
04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Go, Carl, go!

And take Herm with you.
A big AMEN to that!!!!:D

melbar
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Lets start a Charlie Casserly for KCGM drive...

That guy has Balls. He was right to pass on Bush, and he's one of the most liked and respected guys in the league.

Tiger's Fan
04-25-2008, 11:15 PM
What a waste of time reading that POS was. Thank you for nothing.

B_Ambuehl
04-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Nice article but people seem to be over-rating draft picks. We're lucky if 4 of those 13 draft picks end up starters (both 1st, the 2nd and one 3rd), and maybe one or 2 of those will really be worth a shit. That's the reality of the NFL. 50% of 1st round picks are busts. MAYBE 50% of 3rd rounders end up starters. There's a big difference between starter and superstar and I get the impression people think all these picks are gonna end up pro bowlers. That trade looks good now but when reality sets in I expect to hear plenty of people crucifying king carl and going belligerent over the lack of pass rush.

Otter
04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
The man who couldn't do "it" for 20 years all of a sudden had an epiphany and is going to build a championship team.

What does this statement and he easter bunny have in common?

I'll give him credit that he's finally making the moves that he should have 7 years ago however.

I just wish he would go the hell away already.

Toad
04-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I can't decide if that article is sucking up to Carl or sucking off Carl...

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:09 AM
F*ck King Carl and WPI too.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

ROFL

Bob Dole
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
What would be really cool is if we get to watch Carl trade all his picks for higher picks next year.

BigRock
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
The Chiefs – and Peterson - have been brilliant in disguising their true feelings about the top players in this draft.
This is really true. It's hilarious how many stories are out there - we like this guy, we like that guy, we don't like this one but we'd consider the other, we want to trade down, we want to trade back up. Truly beautiful work.

The rest of the salad-tossing I could have done without.

Fish
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I question Carl's level of participation.

alnorth
04-26-2008, 12:28 AM
The Chiefs can truly strike gold this weekend. In order to do that, Peterson has to be willing to think outside the box.

Think outside the box? Like how, trade a pick to an owner who also owns a baseball team for KC Royals picks? Bribe a team with ice cream?

I dont mind this cliche when its appropriate, but in this context, its utterly silly. There is no thinking outside the box in a draft, every possibility is precisely spelled out and categorized within an orderly framework. You can either trade the pick for players and/or other picks this year or later years, or you can use it to draft a good player, or you can use it to "reach" for a player who shouldnt be picked that high, or you can pull a Minnesota and completely f*** up your draft in a dramatic way.

Thats it, this box is made out of solid steel with a dozen padlocks on the door, there is no "thinking outside the box" here.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Lets start a Charlie Casserly for KCGM drive...

That guy has Balls. He was right to pass on Bush, and he's one of the most liked and respected guys in the league.

Oh, please, f*cking no.

Casserly sucks. Horrible drafts with the Redskins, horrible drafts with the Texans.

Passing on Reggie Bush shouldn't be enough to get this guy another job.

At least with the Chiefs.

Warrior5
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
This is really true. It's hilarious how many stories are out there - we like this guy, we like that guy, we don't like this one but we'd consider the other, we want to trade down, we want to trade back up. Truly beautiful work.

Quite true. As I stated (TIC) in a previous thread, evil mastermind Carl has run an effective deception / disinformation campaign; he even got Teicher to write that insane article two days ago.

...hoping the target of the deception plan is the NFL and not Chiefs fans.

Warrior5
04-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I question Carl's level of participation.

Me too; I'm slipping ex-lax into his lunch today.

Just doing my part for the Chiefs.

Chief Wiggum
04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
And WPI wonders why they aren't taken very seriously. Anytime they are relatively critical of CP or the Chiefs in any regard, they always follow up that article within a few days praising the people they were being critical of a few days ago. They only people they are consistently critical of are "some fans" and "some people on the internet"/"message boards" (CP *cough*). As in "some people on message boards would have you believe that that Carl doesn't have a 12 foot penis. That's just simply not true."

I think WPI would have more of a following, and thus more clout, if they just did their job impartially. I think half the reason they write some of the crap they do is because they are worried about losing their credentials or don't want to say no if they Chiefs ask them to write something on their behalf. If they just had faith in their honest writing, they would have more of a following, and then the Chiefs would have to give them credentials because their following would be too damn big.

HemiEd
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/749774.html

With 13 picks and counting and a handful of teams looking to trade into the 5th and 17th spots of the first round today, there might not be a better man at the helm of KC’s draft than President Carl Peterson. After all, he just put his reputation on the line by trading star defensive end Jared Allen.

Peterson traded Allen because it was the right move. Because of that, this weekend he can reshape his legacy with a wild, old-fashioned trade frenzy that might yield Kansas City a bright future.

How is this looking to you now?

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Carl fucking Peterson. If fucking up a professional football organization's future was against the law, Carl would get the death penalty...

Easy 6
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Nice find Ed, glad to see i'm not the only one who's made a bad call.

B_Ambuehl
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Nice article but people seem to be over-rating draft picks. We're lucky if 4 of those 13 draft picks end up starters (both 1st, the 2nd and one 3rd), and maybe one or 2 of those will really be worth a shit. That's the reality of the NFL. 50% of 1st round picks are busts. MAYBE 50% of 3rd rounders end up starters. There's a big difference between starter and superstar and I get the impression people think all these picks are gonna end up pro bowlers. That trade looks good now but when reality sets in I expect to hear plenty of people crucifying king carl and going belligerent over the lack of pass rush.

Wow. I don't even remember writing that, but musta had a strong connection to the stars on that particular day.

Worth a shit: Flowers, Albert

Starters: Flowers, Albert, Dorsey, ?

HemiEd
10-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow. I don't even remember writing that, but musta had a strong connection to the stars on that particular day.

Worth a shit: Flowers, Albert

Starters: Flowers, Albert, Dorsey, ?

You called it, no denying that.

Mecca
10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
That's being graded on a curve now because those guys weren't drafted by the current regime.