PDA

View Full Version : Computers Need help about to take the plunge and buy a Mac Computer

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Rausch and you other gurus what should I get in your opinion. Just bought the Iphone and I love it so it is time to take the plunge.

Help appreciated.

SBK
04-26-2008, 12:21 AM
You're made of money so get the Macbook Air, because it's cool.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 12:22 AM
You are dead to me.

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
You're made of money so get the Macbook Air, because it's cool.It is cool but I am not sure it will provided top notch performance. My computer serves as the connection to the wireless router, it needs to be very compatible with PC applications, and I would like it to be fast.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
On a serious note, you are loaded, so just get a Mac Pro. Get the monitor somewhere else, though. Mac's monitors are overpriced as hell.

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
You are dead to me.I phone needs at least XP or Vista and basically new computers you get Vista :Lin:

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:26 AM
On a serious note, you are loaded, so just get a Mac Pro. Get the monitor somewhere else, though. Mac's monitors are overpriced as hell.

I have a good PC monitor, is it compatible with Mac Pro?

Count Zarth
I phone needs at least XP or Vista and basically new computers you get Vista :Lin:

My computer is plenty new and hath not Vista upon it.

Of course my OS isn't even on the shelf anywhere...custom build of XP.

Count Zarth
I have a good PC monitor, is it compatible with Mac Pro?

Yeah, of course. The one thing Mac doesn't make is video cards...

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 12:34 AM
I phone needs at least XP or Vista and basically new computers you get Vista :Lin:

Vista 64 is the biggest piece of crap of all-freaking time. Total shit.

Besides the fact that it won't let you partition, besides the fact that it's a memory hog (hence at least 4 gigs of RAM in new Vista computers) and besides the fact that a majority of software and hardware doesn't work with Vista 64, it won't even let you delete it. And most of the partition-type programs won't even work with Vista 64.

If I had a choice, I'd choose a Mac Quad Duo core and dual boot with XP.

HMc
04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
My computer is plenty new and hath not Vista upon it.

Of course my OS isn't even on the shelf anywhere...custom build of XP.

Buddy, unless you've got the source, you didnt "build" shit. Using nLite or similar doesnt make it a "custom build" any more than me ripping the rear seat out of my landcruiser makes it a "custom ride"

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, of course. The one thing Mac doesn't make is video cards...

Har, har, I am ignorant of the interface between Macs and there monitors. I take it they are common.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Har, har, I am ignorant of the interface between Macs and there monitors. I take it they are common.

Just DVI...industry standard.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Buddy, unless you've got the source, you didnt "build" shit. Using nLite or similar doesnt make it a "custom build" any more than me ripping the rear seat out of my landcruiser makes it a "custom ride"

I didn't build it...I downloaded it from a third party. Doesn't matter, it's still not available commercially.

TinyXP is great. Fast, functional, clean, no hassle (like the update manager bugging me every hour). Can't wait for TinyVista.

Silock
04-26-2008, 01:23 AM
I buy all my Macs refurbished. They have the same warranty, and they're totally covered if you get the Applecare plan (which I highly recommend, btw).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&mco=MTE3NjY&nclm=CertifiedMac

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I thought macs let you run windows software with wine - http://www.winehq.org/

AZORChiefFan
04-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Depends on what you are using it for. I find the iMac more than meets my daily computer needs. 1st gen intel.

If you are using or want Microsoft Office may I suggest Neooffice it's open source and 'free' well you could donate if that thing makes you feel good.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Same goes for Gimpshop - photoshop alternative http://www.gimpshop.com/download.shtml

Getting a refurb is a good idea as is the apple care plan.

DenverChief
04-26-2008, 04:41 AM

Depends on what you want to do...imac is awesome for a desktop

I have this one

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1417/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/imac/img/product-20in.jpg

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$1,499.00

Monitor and tower in one...less space to clutter...if you get the wireless keyboard and mouse you will only have 2-3 hard wires floating behind your machine 1 USB for the printer (you should get one for free w/ the rebate) 1 USB for your Ipod and your power cord

If you are looking for a laptop go with the macbook Air

Groves
04-26-2008, 07:54 AM
If you need advice past what you're getting in the thread. Give me a PM. I can't see where you've stated if you want a laptop or desktop. Are you buying it simply to run windows all the time? Even though, apparently, you're "made of money", you'll need to balance price with all of these other considerations. They're great machines.

cdcox
04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
You should just go all the way and sign up for Web-TV.

Fish
04-26-2008, 08:06 AM
The brushed metal iMacs like in the post above are a very good machine. But you can't really upgrade anything but the RAM. I've gotten about 60 of these machines at work since they were released, and I haven't had a single hardware issue with any of them yet. Best option for an affordable stand-alone machine. The glossy screen is very vivid. The 24" screen will knock your socks off....

If you want something upgradable, go with the Mac Pro. It's by far the most powerful Mac, and it's very customizable. It's the most expensive, but the machine is very very fast. The 8 core is a beast. I've seen it encode and burn a DVD in less than 15 minutes. It takes about 5 hours to do the same on my Wintel machine.

If you're looking at a laptop, I'd recommend the Macbook Pro. Mac Air is very nice and it's a beautiful machine, but it's functionality is rather lacking. With only an optional optical drive, it can be hard(or very slow) to load software onto. Good for the coffeeshop crowd that doesn't make many changes to their machine. It doesn't have a user-accessible battery either, so you have to consider that in a year, you'll need to pay Apple $130 to replace it for you if you want "normal" battery life.

Chief Wiggum
04-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Congratulations. After you switch, you'll wonder how you lived with a PeeCee as long as you did. With BootCamp (comes with the OS) you can partition your hard drive to be able to boot into actual Windows at any time. OS X is pretty compatible with Windows as it is, but you're guaranteed to be completely compatible with BootCamp.

I've got a PowerMac, and two MacBooks. The MacBooks do pretty much everything I need them to do. Powermacs are handy for expandability down the road - swapping out drives, video cards etc.

Between me and the rest of my family, we own every Mac that is being offered right now. The MB Air is cool, but overpriced for what you're getting IMO. If you aren't sure what to get, get a Mac mini (Not too expensive) to get a feel for what you like and don't like. You can always get something more expensive when you get an idea for what you like about Macs and what you don't. You can then parlay the MacMini into a media server (Basically AppleTV with a ton more functionality). Congrats though, you'll be really happy you made the switch.

MTG#10
04-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Are you going to start talking with your hands now?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Tq7yykR-DM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Tq7yykR-DM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fish
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
A friend of mine just turned a Mac mini into a kick ass media center running XBMC on it. I run XBMC on an old original XBox, and it's a wonderful media center. On the Mac is even better.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGdihkA5FK4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

More Info: http://xbmc.org/

patteeu
04-26-2008, 08:51 AM
You should go into an Apple Store and check them all out, Ill-Logical. You'll get a good feel for the options there. It looks like you've got a couple of them in your area. In general:

Power Mac - Fastest. Most Expensive. Most upgradeable. Separate tower and monitor (which as others have mentioned can be aquired separately).

iMac - All-in-one (CPU is in the monitor). Not very upgradeable. More affordable.

Powerbook - Higher end laptops.

I wouldn't mess with the Mac Mini (if they still make them), the iBook (lower end laptops), or the MacAir (ultra light but with some serious functionality shortcomings) at all unless you have a specific reason for these niche machines.

I switched from Macs to PCs several years ago, but I've always appreciated Macs for the things they do well and they've gotten to the point where they do a lot of things very well. I'm thinking about switching back when I make my next computer purchase.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Build your own own with SATA II RAID 0, install Vista but strip the install down with Vlite.

http://www.vlite.net/

Buy a USB 2.0 Jumpdrive and turn on ready boost, and preferably buy a Quad Core or Core 2 Duo that is 45nm.

My Vista machine flies.

morphius
04-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Build your own own with SATA II RAID 0, install Vista but strip the install down with Vlite.

http://www.vlite.net/

Buy a USB 2.0 Jumpdrive and turn on ready boost, and preferably buy a Quad Core or Core 2 Duo that is 45nm.

My Vista machine flies.
ROFL

A quad core machine with a completely stripped down version of any OS should fly.

ROFL

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 09:22 AM
ROFL

A quad core machine with a completely stripped down version of any OS should fly.

ROFL

It's not so much the processor as is it RAID. Hard Drives are the slowest part of any machine. You double your output running 2 of them striped.

From what I understand Quad Core's are a little faster than Core 2 Duo's, however software is not yet written to fully utilize them. I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8400 45nm.

tomahawk kid
04-26-2008, 09:22 AM
As a lifelong PC user, my wife purchased a MAC about 3 years ago.

They're awesome.

We just bought a Mac Book about 6 months ago as well.

You'll be fine.

Gonzo
04-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Bought an IMac last year. Absolutely love it. Best computer on the market. I was a pc guy for years but as soon as I started playing around with the IMac at the Apple store I fell in love with it.

ArrowheadHawk
04-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Mac is gay.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Mac is gay.

http://wizardishungry.com/blog/_/2007/01/112346548945498558f7nn4.png

http://imagechan.com/img/images/gay%20test.jpeg

HC_Chief
04-26-2008, 09:31 AM
I have a Mac Book Pro (dual core Intel)

I upgraded the hard drive and RAM.... it is very fast and very reliable.

As I work a lot with SQL Server, which requires Windows, I run Parallels. This nifty $50 software package will allow you to run Windows or Linux inside the Mac OS. It even uses native hardware device calls (improves performance).

I highly recommend this setup if you're looking for a laptop. It gives you a stable, powerful platform, with full Windows integration for the times you must have Windows.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a Mac Book Pro (dual core Intel)

I upgraded the hard drive and RAM.... it is very fast and very reliable.

As I work a lot with SQL Server, which requires Windows, I run Parallels. This nifty $50 software package will allow you to run Windows or Linux inside the Mac OS. It even uses native hardware device calls (improves performance).

I highly recommend this setup if you're looking for a laptop. It gives you a stable, powerful platform, with full Windows integration for the times you must have Windows.

You should run Oracle, it even runs on a Mac ;)

morphius
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
It's not so much the processor as is it RAID. Hard Drives are the slowest part of any machine. You double your output running 2 of them striped.

From what I understand Quad Core's are a little faster than Core 2 Duo's, however software is not yet written to fully utilize them. I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8400 45nm.
Yes, disk is the slowest part of a machine (outside of usb/CD/DVD/etc). RAID 0 is a bit risky if you are choosing to run RAID, because 1 disk dies, all data is lost.

But generally speaking, if you are building a Quad core system you are going to have at least 2GB of RAM and a good video card as well. Which also helps in speed as well.

Fish
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Macbook Pro + Parallels + Smackbook App = The Shit

It uses the Macbook's built-in sudden motion sensor to switch between Windows and OS X.....
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynfFQmqntpk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Braincase
04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Geta Psystar (http://www.psystar.com/index.php?&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)and run whatever OS you want. Screw Apple and their proprietary hardware.

HC_Chief
04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
You should run Oracle, it even runs on a Mac ;)

No thanks... java-based IDEs suck ass.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Yes, disk is the slowest part of a machine (outside of usb/CD/DVD/etc). RAID 0 is a bit risky if you are choosing to run RAID, because 1 disk dies, all data is lost.

But generally speaking, if you are building a Quad core system you are going to have at least 2GB of RAM and a good video card as well. Which also helps in speed as well.

I agree, I worry about one of my drives failing but I also do incrementals every night to one of my servers to back it up.

Honestly if you guys ever try RAID, I just use a software Raid card by SIIG. It was $40 and has worked like a charm rather than buying a $300 Hardware Raid card.

morphius
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree, I worry about one of my drives failing but I also do incrementals every night to one of my servers to back it up.

Honestly if you guys ever try RAID, I just use a software Raid card by SIIG. It was $40 and has worked like a charm rather than buying a $300 Hardware Raid card.
though hardware RAID is faster...

(UNIX/Linux System Admin)

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
No thanks... java-based IDEs suck ass.

I agree with you there.... As far as databases, if you're running one under 3 terrabytes SQL is the way to go. Anything over that and Oracle annihilates SQL.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 10:04 AM
though hardware RAID is faster...

(UNIX/Linux System Admin)

It is, but is it worth the added $260 cost?

I just got into AIX and HP-UX a year ago, and just installed my first Oracle 11G database on Ubuntu Server.

I've still got a ways to go with Unix.

The Rick
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I switched to a Mac a few years ago and haven't looked back. One of the best decisions I've made.

Once you go Mac, you never go back....

ArrowheadHawk
04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I switched to a Mac a few years ago and haven't looked back. One of the best decisions I've made.

Once you go Mac, you never go back....:spock:

HC_Chief
04-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree with you there.... As far as databases, if you're running one under 3 terrabytes SQL is the way to go. Anything over that and Oracle annihilates SQL.

Actually SQL scales better at the RDBMS level. Oracle's advantage is the ability to run on a Unix platform.... the OS is far more scalable than Windows Server (SQL Server's limitation).

RAC is also sweet; but you pay out the arse for it! :)

I work with Oracle regularly, as well as some DB2 and Informix. SQL Server is my primary; it's also my favorite. It is a complete system, from RDBMS to BI. TCO is MUCH lower. Ease of use leads to a bunch of problems for companies, but that's good for me - I own a database consulting company :D

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Actually SQL scales better at the RDBMS level. Oracle's advantage is the ability to run on a Unix platform.... the OS is far more scalable than Windows Server (SQL Server's limitation).

RAC is also sweet; but you pay out the arse for it! :)

I work with Oracle regularly, as well as some DB2 and Informix. SQL Server is my primary; it's also my favorite. It is a complete system, from RDBMS to BI. TCO is MUCH lower. Ease of use leads to a bunch of problems for companies, but that's good for me - I own a database consulting company :D

I admit I'm not nearly as versed with SQL as I am with Oracle, I just got a copy of SQL 2008 at that Microsoft kick off convention in Overland Park and I plan to test it out.

We use RAC where I work on AIX, and VMS but they are migrating everything to Linux in the future because of cost.

Here is the site reference I used on my SQL/Oracle transaction comparison.

http://tpc.org/tpch/results/tpch_perf_results.asp?resulttype=all

MTG#10
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Once you go Mac, you never go back....

I switched from Macs to PCs several years ago,

:D

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
The iMacs are solid. You probably don't need a cheesegrater (the powerful tower builds), as that much power is just overkill. The iMacs have integrated screens and cameras, which is nice.

I plan to purchase a cheap Mac Mini to use with my new big screen LCD.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 10:55 AM
The iMacs are solid. You probably don't need a cheesegrater (the powerful tower builds), as that much power is just overkill.

He wanted a top end machine.

morphius
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
It is, but is it worth the added $260 cost?

I just got into AIX and HP-UX a year ago, and just installed my first Oracle 11G database on Ubuntu Server.

I've still got a ways to go with Unix.
Depends on how much speed you want :D

We use a lot of Veritas for our high performance systems, it allows for easier SAN migrations and changing the layout of the volumes on the fly to improve performance. But it is uber expensive.

I've done AIX, HP-UX, Redhat, and Sun, with Oracle, udb/db2 and Sybase running on them.

Now I just need to find a job that pays me more.

Dave Lane
04-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Jim Vista is highly negatively overhyped. I have 3 boxes with with Vista and they are fine. Its just different from XP thats all.

Dave

Oh and my Iphone works great with XP and Vista even after ZI hacked it to work with T Mobile

morphius
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Jim Vista is highly negatively overhyped. I have 3 boxes with with Vista and they are fine. Its just different from XP thats all.

Dave

Oh and my Iphone works great with XP and Vista even after ZI hacked it to work with T Mobile
Oh no, it has earned it. Even the Windows Admins next to me, who unlike a lot of windows people really know their stuff, are getting ready to migrate back to XP on their workstations.

Silock
04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Geta Psystar (http://www.psystar.com/index.php?&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)and run whatever OS you want. Screw Apple and their proprietary hardware.

LOL vaporware

Besides, Apple's proprietary hardware isn't a bad thing.

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:19 PM
He wanted a top end machine.Not neccessarily, did I say that last night?

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Not neccessarily, did I say that last night?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4710128&postcount=4

Given the relative cost of the iMac, I'd just get a Mac Pro. Futureproof yourself for awhile.

Logical
04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
You should go into an Apple Store and check them all out, Ill-Logical. You'll get a good feel for the options there. It looks like you've got a couple of them in your area. In general:

Power Mac - Fastest. Most Expensive. Most upgradeable. Separate tower and monitor (which as others have mentioned can be aquired separately).

iMac - All-in-one (CPU is in the monitor). Not very upgradeable. More affordable.

Powerbook - Higher end laptops.

I wouldn't mess with the Mac Mini (if they still make them), the iBook (lower end laptops), or the MacAir (ultra light but with some serious functionality shortcomings) at all unless you have a specific reason for these niche machines.

I switched from Macs to PCs several years ago, but I've always appreciated Macs for the things they do well and they've gotten to the point where they do a lot of things very well. I'm thinking about switching back when I make my next computer purchase.Thanks, good advice. There is store in UTC which is pretty close.

|Zach|
04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks, good advice. There is store in UTC which is pretty close.

They are very informative and helpful at the stores. Enjoy your new computer.