PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Concerns about Gholston?

dirk digler
04-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I know it is PFT but I was watching Merrill this morning as well on ESPN and he was ripping him for taking a ton of plays off and just disappearing. This is the same concern that Todd McShay had.

It will be interesting to see if he is the guy that sits in the green room for half the draft.

The talk in league circles continues to be that (as ESPNís (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) Merrill Hoge pointed out a little while ago) Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon Gholston is a guy who looks good in the gym, not as good on the field.
He often disappears on game film, not nearly standing out like a top-five player would, should, or could.
One league source recently told us that Gholston graded out as average in every Buckeyes game last year except two: Wisconsin and Michigan.
But the intrigue flows from the fact that two of the team who might be chasing Gholston are in the same division as the team that drafted Jake Long. And since Gholston owned Long when Ohio State (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) played Michigan last season, Ghoslton could get two cracks per year, every year, at Jake.

eazyb81
04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Eh, I think you should focus on what a guy can and did do, rather than what you think he didn't do. Maybe Gholston has a hard time of getting pumped up to play the scrub teams.

I know Julius Peppers had the same criticisms coming out, and he's done okay.

pr_capone
04-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Meh.... Ryan Sims carried him at NC.

dirk digler
04-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Eh, I think you should focus on what a guy can and did do, rather than what you think he didn't do. Maybe Gholston has a hard time of getting pumped up to play the scrub teams.

Does it concern you that he didn't stand out in the BCS National Championship game?

Dave Lane
04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Does it concern you that he didn't stand out in the BCS National Championship game?

QFT workout freaks worry me too. If they ever start to slack off even a bit it might drop them to Eric Hicks levels :)

Dave

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM

He had more sacks and pressures in that game than Allen did in several of our games last year.

I don't think that a lot of these talking heads understand what the "Leo" position at OSU does. He's not rushing the passer all the time every time, it's a hybrid DE/OLB kind of like Gun's old Falcon position. Sometimes he was responsible for containment, which means that he can't just overpursue and completely blow contain a la Dipshit Allen.

I'd also like to point out that LSU designed their entire gameplan around neutralizing Gholston, letting other top-10 talents like James Laurinitas roam freely.

That in and of itself is a damned nice endorsement.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2008, 11:00 AM
QFT workout freaks worry me too. If they ever start to slack off even a bit it might drop them to Eric Hicks levels :)

Dave

Gholston had more sacks the last two years than Jesus Long, and now he's a workout warrior. I love this.

kcfan82
04-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm kind of concerned he'll go to jail for murdering a QB on the field.

melbar
04-26-2008, 11:11 AM
He and Long had the same number of sacks last year. He doesnt have the motor or technique that Long has. That being said he is the 2nd best DE in this draft hands down. He just needs to start giving effort every game every play whether he thinks they're "scrubs" or not.

dirk digler
04-26-2008, 11:11 AM
He had more sacks and pressures in that game than Allen did in several of our games last year.

I don't think that a lot of these talking heads understand what the "Leo" position at OSU does. He's not rushing the passer all the time every time, it's a hybrid DE/OLB kind of like Gun's old Falcon position. Sometimes he was responsible for containment, which means that he can't just overpursue and completely blow contain a la Dipshit Allen.

I'd also like to point out that LSU designed their entire gameplan around neutralizing Gholston, letting other top-10 talents like James Laurinitas roam freely.

That in and of itself is a damned nice endorsement.

The concern is not the position but that it appears he takes plays off and is not always giving 100%.

stlchiefs
04-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Meh.... Ryan Sims carried him at NC.

too bad the Chiefs ruined him :rolleyes: