PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with T/G BRANDEN ALBERT - 4/26

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/26/qa_with_tg_branden_albert__426/

Q&A with T/G BRANDEN ALBERT - 4/26

Apr 26, 2008, 5:15:36 PM

2008 FIRST-ROUND DRAFT PICK
Q: What does it feel like to be a member of the Chiefs?

ALBERT: “I’m ecstatic right now. I’m happy to playing for Coach Herm Edwards and coach (Bob) Bicknell, the offensive line coach. I got drafted with probably the best player in the draft, Glenn Dorsey. I’m happy about that. I’m happy about going to Kansas City and blocking for Larry Johnson. I’m happy to be playing for a team with a great tradition for offensive linemen. I’m just really happy right now.”

Q: You played guard at Virginia, how well do you think you can do at tackle in the NFL?

ALBERT: “I’ll be fine at left tackle. I’m a good athlete for my size and I’ll be fine at left tackle.”

Q: Why didn’t you move to tackle when T D’Brickashaw Ferguson left?

ALBERT: “Our coach wanted the five best linemen on the field. I did pretty well my freshman year at left guard and I missed spring football and that was the idea to move me out to tackle and having me change roles. But we had another redshirt freshman named Will Parker that was pretty good. So Coach kept both of us on the field with the other two seniors and had the best five linemen. It ended up working out this year.”

Q: What was today like for you with all the first round trades?

ALBERT: “Everybody had me as a top-10 pick and a lot had me going fifth to the Chiefs. But they made the Jared Allen trade so they got their defensive player, Glenn Dorsey, and I knew they were trying to get a tackle with their 17th pick. I’m thinking that Philadelphia wanted me bad and they might move up, but Kansas City wanted me more and traded back up to the 15th pick to get me. I’m very happy.”

Q: Does that make you feel good to be a wanted guy?

ALBERT: “Even though I didn’t go where I thought I was going, they traded up and that means they wanted me badly. I’m happy I was in demand like that.”

Q: Is it true you didn’t play football until your junior year of high school?

ALBERT: “Yep, I didn’t start playing football until my junior year. I was always a basketball player. I grew up in New York and when I moved to Maryland with my brother. I was pushed to football because that’s where they thought my talent would be. It ended up working out for the best.”

Q: Can you talk about your relationship with Kansas State head coach and former Virginia Assistant Coach Ron Prince?

ALBERT: “Coach Prince helped mold me into the player I am today. He helped put that mentality of being a killer [in me] and when I pull to crush people and be a technician. And Coach Groh used to go over that after, but Coach Prince helped that mold and he laid the ground work with me. I remember when he left [Virginia] he said, ‘You’re going to be an NFL player, son.’ He always believed in me even though he was hard on me. I always respected him as a coach.”

Q: How do you feel about being a cornerstone of the Chiefs rebuilt offensive line?

ALBERT: “I was a captain at the University of Virginia and I was the head of my offensive line at Virginia. It’s a bigger step and a bigger level, but I’ve just got to step my game up. Being that cornerstone of that offensive line will elevate my game and puts pressure on me to be a better player. I won’t crack until pressure.”

DaFace
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Heh...I hope he meant "under pressure" in that last line. :doh!:

milkman
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I won’t crack until pressure.

I sure hope that's a typo.

LMAO

Idiots

JBucc
04-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I won't crack........until there's pressure. LMAO Seems like a good kid with great confidence.

CupidStunt
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
GREAT character guy.

Silock
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
There's always a ton of typos in these draft Q&As. I think the editors have the weekend off.