PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Peterson-Edwards-Kuharich on 2nd Round

dirk digler
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Q&A with Peterson-Edwards-Kuharich on 2nd Round

Apr 26, 2008, 6:13:36 PM

CARL PETERSON: “Brandon Flowers I did see play at the Orange Bowl. We did bring him in – one of our 30 guys who visited us here in Kansas City, our third in a row that we have taken who did that.”

BILL KUHARICH: “This is a guy who I frankly didn’t think would make it to us. We thought there were a couple of teams in the bottom of the first round who had targeted him, but because there were so many trades in the second half of that round it was clear people were going to go need. I feel very good that he was there.

“A very physical corner, got good hands, good interceptor. Really instinctive. He has good cover skills. Knows how to play off-man but he’s a good press corner. I just think for that time in the draft we were very fortunate for him to be there.”

HERMAN EDWARDS: “He kind of fits what we want to do on defense here. He will blend well into the system we are trying to run. Very, very tough-minded guy. I liked his mindset when we brought him here and sat down and visited with him. We challenged him a lot on the board about things. He’s a student of the game and likes football. He’s played in a lot of big football games and played a lot against good receivers. He’s a very competitive guy and that’s what you need to play that position.”
Q: What do you see his role?

EDWARDS: “To come and compete for a starting job.”

Q: If that doesn’t work out maybe a nickel back then?

EDWARDS: “Oh, for sure that. I’m hoping that will work out but he’s going to have to earn it.”

Q: Who’s he like?

EDWARDS: “He’s kind of like Ronde Barber, Donnie Abraham, the kind of kids we drafted at Tampa Bay. Somewhere in the second round we drafted them. I think Donnie and Ronde were third round picks. He can play well in this system. He has great eyes. You have to great eyes to play in this system. You have to be able to see, be able to anticipate. He has very good instincts to play the position. He just fits the mold in his mental makeup. You always measure height, weight and speed but at the end of the day it’s the mental toughness you have to play that position. It takes that to play and survive. I believe he can do that.”

Q: He played in a lot of major bowls. Is that something you looked at?

EDWARDS: “If you look at all our players the one thing that never changes is they come from good programs. They played in big games and they know what it takes to win. I think that’s important. Those are the kinds of guys you want in your locker room. If you look at our football team we’re going to be very, very young. But if you look at the mold of the players we’re drafting in the last couple of drafts they’re very similar. They all have those similar traits. It’s no accident. It’s not about who has the best players but who has the best team. We’re trying to develop a young, aggressive, exciting football team and we’ve got three young players to add with our other young guys.
“I think all three of these guys have the ability to compete for starting positions. They’re not given anything but we think all three have the mental ability to come in as a young player and if they prove they can do it they will be the starters.”

Q: Are you happy the way the day ended?

EDWARDS: “We didn’t reach. We didn’t start getting crazy. We filled some needs. We had patience and you have to have patience and you have to go by your board and you’re going to move a little bit there. But we stayed pretty true how we rated these players. We were a little lucky, too.
“We did evaluation of these guys. They were in our 30 visits and we feel good about these guys.”

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/26/qa_with_petersonedwardskuharich_on_2nd_round/

siberian khatru
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
EDWARDS: “We didn’t reach like Carl used to do before we duct-taped him to the toilet in the men's room."

FYP

the Talking Can
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
EDWARDS: “We didn’t reach.

i'm getting misty....

banyon
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Were they too busy giving this interview when they should've traded up for Groves or Brohm? It's posted almost exactly after Groves was picked.

Just wondering. Other than that they deserve a couple of laurels.

Uncle_Ted
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Were they too busy giving this interview when they should've traded up for Groves or Brohm? It's posted almost exactly after Groves was picked.

Just wondering. Other than that they deserve a couple of laurels.

I was thinking that too ... unless they had already figured out there was no one left worth trading up for (doubtful in my book).

jjchieffan
04-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Herm wanted more picks. He already lost one to get Albert, doubtful he wanted to give up any more in order to move up.

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Herm wanted more picks. He already lost one to get Albert, doubtful he wanted to give up any more in order to move up.

correct and i dont think losing a 5th for Albert was a bad call :hail:

BigChiefFan
04-26-2008, 09:18 PM
I just have to say they did a very good job today. With so many picks tomorrow I hope they continue the great drafting. They kicked ass on the trade with Detroit, we swapped thirds and basically gave up a 5th for one of the best LT prospects in the draft. Excellent move. Dorsey is a no-brainer and Flowers gives us a legitimate starting CB who can stay put for a while. THREE STARTERS.

BigRedChief
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
correct and i dont think losing a 5th for Albert was a bad call :hail:
No chit! When was the last 5th rounder drafted that contributed to this team?

Mr. Arrowhead
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Justin Medlock, lmao sorry i had to do it

QuikSsurfer
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Kolby Smith

and that's it.

Mojo Rising
04-26-2008, 09:58 PM
If Kuharich is the CP replacement we are up a creek. This is the man who traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams.

J Diddy
04-26-2008, 10:03 PM

wasn't donnie a 5th round pick

BigChiefFan
04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
If Kuharich is the CP replacement we are up a creek. This is the man who traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams.
Kuharich has done a damn good job this year.

B_Ambuehl
04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I think getting Flowers in the 2nd might be luckier than having Dorsey fall in the 1st. I was watching the board later in the first round and didn't think by any stretch of the imagination he'd still be there, but he was.

BigRock
04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Strange but true fact: Bill Kuharich and Mike Ditka are actually 2 different people.