PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bob Gretz : Now That Was Big

royr17
04-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Apparently he didnt get Fired.

Now This Was Big
Apr 26, 2008, 7:28:33 PM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

In what may be the most important draft in the history of the franchise, the Chiefs had a first-day that was beyond believable.

In their most vivid of night before dreams, it couldn’t have broken down any better than it did in the first two rounds of the 2008 NFL Draft.

“I never would have believed we could draft both Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert in the first round,” said VP-Player Personnel Bill Kuharich of the team’s top draft choices.

Then in the second round the Chiefs got the physical cornerback they so needed in Brandon Flowers.

The picks fell just right. The Chiefs had to make a deal to get the cards lined up and boom but they solved problems in their lineups potentially for many years to come.

“These guys are going to make a difference,” said head coach Herm Edwards. “These are young men have the ability to compete for starting positions.”

It’s the third time in franchise history when the Chiefs were able to draft in the first round both a defensive lineman and offensive lineman. If this year’s duo can match the twosome of 1963, when the Chiefs grabbed Buck Buchanan and Ed Budde, then this will have been a very, very good first round. The other time it happened was 1984, with both Bill Maas and John Alt selected in round No. 1.

That’s getting ahead of things. In the immediate future, these two guys are going to play and likely they will play a lot. They have that kind of talent.

Dorsey was one of two players at the top of the Chiefs draft board; the other was RB Darren McFadden who went to the Raiders on the fourth choice. Most teams in the league had Dorsey rated as the draft’s best defensive talent. Once St. Louis, drafting in the second spot, went with DE Chris Long and Atlanta went with QB Matt Ryan with the third pick, the Chiefs knew Dorsey was going to be available to them.

The Chiefs phone rang several times with teams trying to move up to the fifth spot. The NFL Network incorrectly reported that New Orleans offered its first and second-round choices this year and a first-round choice next year. Hardly to believe the league’s own network can make a mistake as big as this one. If that offer had been made, the Chiefs would have jumped. Instead, the Saints offered a swap of first round picks (moving down from five to 10) and then a seventh-round choice, the 218th pick of the draft.

That hardly tempted the Chiefs and they went ahead and grabbed Dorsey.

And without even playing a game, he’s had an impact on the team’s defense. Tamba Hali is going to move from left end to right end, to replace Jared Allen. Alfonso Boone will move outside form tackle to left end. Dorsey moves into the tackle spot with Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards.

After grabbing Dorsey, the Chiefs had to wait 12 picks to go again. Their target was their tattered offensive line. That wait proved to be too long for them to handle. Egged on by the fact that Philadelphia was trying to jump ahead of them, the Chiefs got a deal done with Detroit, moving from No. 17 to No. 15. That’s a 100-point jump. They got it done with the Lions by swapping third-round picks (No. 66 and 76) and giving up a fifth-round (136th) choice. They gave up 88 points and got Albert.

The big guy out of the University of Virginia can play guard or tackle. He’ll start as a tackle with the Chiefs, and whether he plays the left or right side will be determined by what comes through the rest of the Draft.

With the 35th selection at the top of the second round, the Chiefs got the talent they desperately needed at cornerback when they grabbed Flowers out of Virginia Tech University. Flowers is a bit under 5-10, but he’s a physical, hitting player who some evaluators have compared to Ronde Barber, the Pro Bowl corner at Tampa Bay.

Edwards has a lot of experience with Barber, having been his position coach with the Bucs and he sees some similarities in size (Barber is 5-10, 184. Flowers is a notch under 5-10, at 187 pounds) and mentality (students of the game, willing to play physically).

Barber was a third-round choice (66th) in the 1997 Draft and did not become a starter until midway through his second season. But he’s been a fixture in the Bucs secondary since then with four trips to the Pro Bowl.

If Flowers can do the same thing, the first day of the 2008 Draft will be a memorable one at Arrowhead Stadium.

Bob Dole
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
He got fired by the radio station.

Uncle_Ted
04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
C'mon Gretz, we're not idiots. No way in hell the Saints called and only offered a 7th round pick to move up from #10 to #5. Not sure why you'd try to sell that crap.

DaFace
04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Damn...I was hoping he'd be out as a writer, too.

HemiEd
04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
C'mon Gretz, we're not idiots. No way in hell the Saints called and only offered a 7th round pick to move up from #10 to #5. Not sure why you'd try to sell that crap.

big difference than what was reported.

kstater
04-26-2008, 06:58 PM

No kidding. At least lie and say it was a 3rd.

Buehler445
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
And without even playing a game, he’s had an impact on the team’s defense. Tamba Hali is going to move from left end to right end, to replace Jared Allen. Alfonso Boone will move outside form tackle to left end. Dorsey moves into the tackle spot with Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little weird?

Chiefnj2
04-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Great day 1 draft on paper. I really hope the bit about Boone playing end is a smokescreen and they are targetting a DE or two on the second day. Jumpin' Jesus - Boone at end??

milkman
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Great day 1 draft on paper. I really hope the bit about Boone playing end is a smokescreen and they are targetting a DE or two on the second day. Jumpin' Jesus - Boone at end??

I think it is.

They have done a great job of not tipping their hand in this draft.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Gretz is such a terrible writer.

JohnnyV13
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the idea of playing Boone is about incorporating some hybrid defense concepts. Hali can play some standing up...and then we'd have 3 guys that can play in a 3-4 in Boone, Tank and Dorsey.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Now, lets see if Carl can get them to TC on time...

rad
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I thought Turk would play DE before Boone.

BigRock
04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
The story going around is that the Saints offered #10, a 7th rounder, and their #1 next year. Gretz brain farted while writing this and didn't mention the 2009 pick, I guess.

boogblaster
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
A real good move by KC.. hope it works out ....