PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft CBSSports: Better to be lucky? Good for Chiefs after landing Dorsey

Marco Polo
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
NEW YORK -- Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and the Kansas City Chiefs (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/KC) got lucky with the choice of LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

Dorsey was the top-rated player on their board and was at or near the top of boards across the NFL. There was no way he was supposed to get to the Chiefs at the fifth position, but he did.

Thank you, Atlanta. The Falcons needed a defensive tackle, but they needed a quarterback, too, and they passed on Dorsey to take Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan in the first surprise of Saturday's NFL Draft.

Ryan reportedly was the choice of Atlanta owner Arthur Blank, and he makes sense as the new face of the franchise. Ryan is bright. He's articulate. And he doesn't own pit bulls.

He's also a solid quarterback the Falcons think can be a franchise player, and that's a good reason to take the guy. But how do you pass on Dorsey? Especially with the holes the Falcons have at defensive tackle?

Kansas City doesn't care. The Chiefs were locked on to Dorsey months ago but never thought they had a shot at the guy. In fact, when I ran into someone with the organization following the February combine he lamented being left in "no-man's land" with the loss of a coin toss involving Oakland and Atlanta -- both of whom were tied with Kansas City at 4-12.

So how do you like the view now?

"When my name was called," said Dorsey, "I told myself I'm not going to cry. But, of course, you get the tears start coming and you can't control that. So I'm just thankful and grateful of the opportunity."

Imagine how the Chiefs felt.

They were so sold on Dorsey they rebuffed efforts by New Orleans to trade into the position, with the Saints looking to get to the fifth spot to choose defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. But once Oakland picked Darren McFadden at the fourth spot, the Chiefs' strategy was clear: Take the top player on the board.

"I feel like the best player," said Dorsey. "Just like everybody else feels they're the best player, you know what I mean? That's just the way it happens. I didn't come in with any expectations.

"I know the draft. It's tricky. Nobody can come out and predict it unless they've heard from the teams themselves. So I try to come out and stay even keeled. Like I said: I'm just thankful and grateful for the opportunity."

But let's not stop there.

Kansas City fell into one of the most coveted offensive lineman in the draft when it traded up to gain Virginia's Branden Albert, a guy who can play guard or tackle. I figured Albert would be gone by the 17th pick, which is where the Chiefs originally were going to pick, and so did Kansas City.

But the Chiefs couldn't have had an idea that Detroit coveted Boston College's Gosder Cherilus more than Albert. Not until they called Saturday.

That's when the Chiefs moved, and good for them. They gained the first player on their board and one of the top offensive linemen on everyone's boards, and tell me that's not how you start rebuilding.

I don't care that they were lucky. I just care that they got better. A lot better.

siberian khatru
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, the Chiefs have been making other teams "lucky" for years, so turnabout is fair play.

BigChiefFan
04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
That's what happens when teams draft for need, a great talent always falls.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Gosder Cherilus> Albert for LT

Mr. Laz
04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
"When my name was called," said Dorsey, "I told myself I'm not going to cry. But, of course, you get the tears start coming and you can't control that. So I'm just thankful and grateful of the opportunity.

"I feel like the best player," said Dorsey. "Just like everybody else feels they're the best player, you know what I mean? That's just the way it happens. I didn't come in with any expectations.

"I know the draft. It's tricky. Nobody can come out and predict it unless they've heard from the teams themselves. So I try to come out and stay even keeled. Like I said: I'm just thankful and grateful for the opportunity.Nice

BigChiefFan
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Gosder better than Albert?? NFW. Watch the tape-Albert was considered a top 10 pick, Gosder NEVER was. Also, the Eagles WANTED Albert Williams very bad, when we traded with the Lions and took AW in front of them, you'll notice the Eagles TRADED DOWN after that, even when Otah was on board-the Eagles were prepared to trade up for Albert Williams.

doomy3
04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Gosder better than Albert?? NFW. Watch the tape-Albert was considered a top 10 pick, Gosder NEVER was. Also, the Eagles WANTED Albert Williams very bad, when we traded with the Lions and took AW in front of them, you'll notice the Eagles TRADED DOWN after that, even when Otah was on board-the Eagles were prepared to trade up for Albert Williams.

Who the **** is this Albert Williams you speak of?

Mr. Kotter
04-26-2008, 08:42 PM

You may end up being right, in a few years...even if I doubt it. :shake:

Right now, today...you are just coming across as a 14-15 yr old kid in front of his Apple Mac, jammin' to the latest Offspring mp3.

Mecca
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Who the **** is this Albert Williams you speak of?

I think he's saying they wanted Albert or Williams.

the Talking Can
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Detroit is absolute Clown School

Mecca
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Tennessee is even worse than Detroit..

EyePod
04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Isn't Gosder a RT prospect?

Dick Bull
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
You may end up being right, in a few years...even if I doubt it. :shake:

Right now, today...you are just coming across as a 14-15 yr old kid in front of his Apple Mac, jammin' to the latest Offspring mp3.

i don't think offspring has a "latest mp3"

eazyb81
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM

LOL, you're a moron.

I'll bet you Cherilus is RT from day one of training camp. Loser leaves the board.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I think in a few years atlanta will regret the day they took Matt Ryan over Glenn Dorsey

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I think in a few years atlanta will regret the day they took Matt Ryan over Glenn Dorsey

All the way to the superbowl. That dude is better than Eli.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
All the way to the superbowl. That dude is better than Eli.

him and his 19 interceptions

Pierce
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM

Just to play the devil's advocate, a lot of those interception were a function of him trying to make plays to non-playmakers on the BC squad. That team had NO good WRs that could get open. He had to try and make something happen by himself.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Just to play the devil's advocate, a lot of those interception were a function of him trying to make plays to non-playmakers on the BC squad. That team had NO good WRs that could get open. He had to try and make something happen by himself.

It's over.

There's no use in spouting Matt Ryan stats at this point.

Waste. Of. Time.

Brock
04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
It's over.

There's no use in spouting Matt Ryan stats at this point.

Waste. Of. Time.

You're. Overusing. This. Dramatic. Device. :D

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
You're. Overusing. This. Dramatic. Device. :D

ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Tennessee is even worse than Detroit..

That was terrible. Seattle didn't make a good pick either IMO. There were more than a few others. It was a strange day, but a great one to be a Chiefs fan.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2008, 11:02 PM

One time a guy named Dan Marino threw a bunch of interceptions his senior year in college. It's not like THAT guy ever won a Super Bowl. I'm glad we got Dorsey, but I've gotten higher on Ryan in the last few weeks. I'm glad he's in the NFC.

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, the Chiefs have been making other teams "lucky" for years, so turnabout is fair play.

:doh!: lmao

buddha
04-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Please end the comparisons of Ryan to Marino immediately. I hope Ryan has a nice career in Atl, but he has his hands full. Marino's toughness and his release are legendary...he defies comparison.

Mr. Kotter
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Please end the comparisons of Ryan to Marino immediately. I hope Ryan has a nice career in Atl, but he has his hands full. Marino's toughness and his release are legendary...he defies comparison.

Ryan is my pick for biggest bust in this draft; he or McFadden. Personally, I'm HOPING for McFadden to bomb worse though..... :)

xbarretx
04-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Ryan is my pick for biggest bust in this draft; he or McFadden. Personally, I'm HOPING for McFadden to bomb worse though..... :)

:clap: GL with those picks (seriously)

Baby Lee
04-27-2008, 05:25 AM

ROFL - do you write for Leno?