PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Chiefs make good picks for a bad team

KCChiefsFan88
04-26-2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/593683.html

Chiefs make good picks for a bad team

The glaring hole in Glenn Dorsey’s game was made obvious Saturday afternoon.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards announced that with Dorsey’s acquisition journeyman defensive tackle Alfonso Boone will move to left defensive end. Boone’s flip to end indicates that Turk McBride, Kansas City’s second-round pick a year ago, is a flop.

The flip and the flop raise major questions about the Outland Trophy-winning defensive tackle the Chiefs snagged with the fifth pick in Saturday’s NFL draft.

The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl’s success rate when selecting defensive linemen makes the “Madden Cover Curse” look like a rabbit’s foot. When Carl Peterson really likes a defensive linemen Chiefs fans usually learn to hate him and offensive linemen learn to love him.

On paper, Dorsey was the most NFL-ready player in this weekend’s draft. He has all the tools that made Warren Sapp a dominant force on the Tampa Bay defenses that shaped Edwards’ philosophy. Dorsey is wide, strong, prideful, athletic and tough. He gutted out the second half of his senior season despite playing on a bad knee after two overmatched Auburn linemen took him out with an unethical block.

Yes, there’s much to like about Kansas City’s first-day draft. The Chiefs moved up two spots later in the first round and grabbed Virginia offensive tackle Branden Albert at No. 15, causing Peterson backup singer Bill Kuharich to remark that he never imagined in his “wildest dreams” getting Dorsey and Albert.

Kuharich has pretty tame dreams. I’ll leave it at that.

Chiefs fans dream modestly, too. They would be satisfied if Dorsey isn’t the second coming of Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Turk McBride, Eddie Freeman or Eric Downing. McBride was supposed to be the rookie who could fill in during Jared Allen’s two-game suspension to start last season.

Now McBride isn’t even good enough to be the on-paper, offseason starter at defensive end. It’s not his job to lose. Instead, a 305-pound tackle who has started 33 of 98 games during an unspectacular, 11.5-sack, eight-year career is slated to take Allen’s starting job.

Wow. The Chiefs could be the worst pass-rush team in the league next season. Boone won’t play end in pass-rush situations. But their starting defensive line will not have a proven quarterback-chaser. Tamba Hali recorded 7.5 sacks last season.

Kansas City’s inability to pressure the quarterback will be magnified by the team’s weakness at corner. Patrick Surtain is washed up. KC’s second-round pick Brandon Flowers is obviously unproven. When you can’t pressure or cover, you can’t get off the field on third down.

Glenn Dorsey is going to need to be very good. If he can get up field the way Sapp did early in his career and Hali blossoms at right end (Allen’s old spot), the Chiefs can get away with a run-stopper at left defensive end.

From my vantage point, KC’s defensive-end situation looks horrible. Jared Allen is the prototype NFL defensive end. The four starting defensive ends in this past season’s Pro Bowl all pretty much looked exactly like Allen — long, lean and athletic. The Chiefs are going to play with two squatty bodies. That’s fine if the ends are as explosive and nimble as Dwight Freeney. It’s deadly if they’re a mix of Dan Saleaumua and Tracy Simien.

The Chiefs are basically begging teams to throw on first down. And the opposition would be stupid not to drop back and wing it.

My point is the Chiefs have made all the right moves this offseason, including dealing Allen for picks. The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl had a great day on Saturday. But the reality is things are going to get worse before they get better. The Chiefs are not getting better right now. They’re simply getting younger.

They’re going to make a run at 0-16. I hope I’m as wrong about this prediction as my 16-0 prediction a decade ago. I just don’t see how the Chiefs stop anybody next season. We already know they can’t score.

Quarterbacks, pass-rushers and wide receivers are the superhighway to victories. Linemen are the foundation consistent winning is built on. Cornerbacks have been devalued by NFL rules that allow receivers to play flag football.

The Chiefs wisely jumped off the superhighway and decided to fix their infrastructure. Dorsey, Albert and Flowers will help the Chiefs win games in 2010. Well, as long as they’re not victims of the King Carl Curse.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
The glaring hole in Glenn Dorsey’s game was made obvious Saturday afternoon.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards announced that with Dorsey’s acquisition journeyman defensive tackle Alfonso Boone will move to left defensive end. Boone’s flip to end indicates that Turk McBride, Kansas City’s second-round pick a year ago, is a flop.

Wow. Whitlock assumed way too much. All Herm said was "if we had to play tomorrow" that would be the lineup.

Basileus777
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Awful article. The Chiefs have a great first day and all Whitlock can write about is a throwaway comment and Turk McBride? Weak.

BigChiefFan
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Whitlock is coming off like a know-it-all. Of course the team is still bad, but that is irrelevant to the team's draft thus far.

Molitoth
04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Dorsey, welcome to KC... where you get to read jwhit.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Awful article. The Chiefs have a great first day and all Whitlock can write about is a throwaway comment and Turk McBride? Weak.

Yep, it was horrible. He assumed way too much and made judgments about the Chiefs five months before the season starts.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
Once again, Fatlock is writing for shock value, trying to stir up shit.

I like his articles when he actually thinks them through and spends time revising them.

This one smelt like, "Crap, I have a column due, what can I write about?"

BigRock
Bill Kuharich never imagined in his “wildest dreams” getting Dorsey and Albert.

Kuharich has pretty tame dreams. I’ll leave it at that.
Geez, who pissed in Whitlock's corn flakes?

And how stupid is writing a column saying "the team doesn't have any players at (insert position here)" after 2 rounds of the draft? What if every pick tomorrow goes towards that position?

Adept Havelock
04-26-2008, 09:45 PM

And of course KCChiefsfan88 seizes on it. LMAO

Granted, the next time Half Whit says something I find significant will probably be the first.

J Diddy
04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
this would be great toilet paper material

Deberg_1990
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Whitlock saved himself at the end. I agree with this:

"My point is the Chiefs have made all the right moves this offseason, including dealing Allen for picks. The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl had a great day on Saturday. But the reality is things are going to get worse before they get better. The Chiefs are not getting better right now. They’re simply getting younger.

They’re going to make a run at 0-16. I hope I’m as wrong about this prediction as my 16-0 prediction a decade ago. I just don’t see how the Chiefs stop anybody next season. We already know they can’t score.

Quarterbacks, pass-rushers and wide receivers are the superhighway to victories. Linemen are the foundation consistent winning is built on. Cornerbacks have been devalued by NFL rules that allow receivers to play flag football.

The Chiefs wisely jumped off the superhighway and decided to fix their infrastructure. Dorsey, Albert and Flowers will help the Chiefs win games in 2010. Well, as long as they’re not victims of the King Carl Curse."

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Instead, a 305-pound tackle who has started 33 of 98 games during an unspectacular, 11.5-sack, eight-year career is slated to take Allen’s starting job.This line is downright ignorant. Mocking Boone's career statistics is misleading. Boone was great at defensive tackle last year. It was the first time in his career he'd had a chance at starting extensively.

The really ignorant part is he says Boone is taking Allen's starting job. Allen = RDE. Boone = LDE, "if the season started tomorrow."

I'll be shocked if Boone is lining up at LDE in New England. Especially since he'd be lethal next to Dorsey.

Messier
04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Seriously, why write this? What is he doing. So basically he's saying no matter how good the draft was this is a bad team. Great. Thanks for the expert opinion there Jason. I'm serious did Jason have a plane to catch or something? The Chiefs did as much as they possibly could have done to improve the team and Jason just rolls out a boring Chiefs are still bad article. Really!?! Even with fan moral at a 20 year low, and a fantastic draft that will give fans something to hope for this is what he offers? Why not just print the lunch menu of where ever he ate because that would have been just as insightful, and a little less petty.

Mecca
04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
The Chiefs aren't going to be good for a couple years so what's the point?

This article makes 0 sense, I hope the Chiefs have a horrible record so we can have more high picks and continue to stock the team.

siberian khatru
So the Chiefs AREN'T going to the Super Bowl this year?

Pic
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/Picturesspeaklouder/whitlock.jpg

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Peterson backup singer Bill Kuharich

This is amusing, however.

ChiefaRoo
Umm, does chunky style realize the draft isn't even over yet?

siberian khatru
The Chiefs aren't going to be good for a couple years so what's the point?

This article makes 0 sense, I hope the Chiefs have a horrible record so we can have more high picks and continue to stock the team.

Exactly. It will take at least one more draft -- one more good draft -- to clean this mess up.

Jeez. We get some good pieces this year, we add some more next year. Is this so hard for some folks to understand? OMG, IF THEY THINK DORSEY FIXES EVERYTHING THEY'RE STUPID!!!!!!!

eazyb81
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Lame article for J-Whit.

I expected better from him, but it's obvious he spent about 10 minutes typing this one up for tomorrow morning's paper.

suds79
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
You know we seemingly have a good day of the draft and all he writes about is how much we'll stink next year?

Well no sh!t. Tell us something we don't know.

STFU Fatlock and quit raining on our parade

J Diddy
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
This line is downright ignorant. Mocking Boone's career statistics is misleading. Boone was great at defensive tackle last year. It was the first time in his career he'd had a chance at starting extensively.

The really ignorant part is he says Boone is taking Allen's starting job. Allen = RDE. Boone = LDE, "if the season started tomorrow."

I'll be shocked if Boone is lining up at LDE in New England. Especially since he'd be lethal next to Dorsey.

I agree that he would be lethal next to dorsey

ChiefaRoo
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/Picturesspeaklouder/whitlock.jpg

LMAO

jjchieffan
F***ing Whitlock garbage!!! It should be a bannable offense to post that crap here.

DeezNutz
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
This article is very poorly written. Whitlock never states what the glaring hole in Dorsey's game is. Are we to infer that it's his inability to pressure the QB? Similarly, Whitlock states that placing Boone on the other end raises major questions about Dorsey, but what are these questions? WTF? I can't believe an editor let this go to print. Wow. Back to comp. courses for JW, whose work I normally enjoy.

Rain Man
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Perhaps a run-stuffing line means that Derrick Johnson can blitz more. I'd like that.

Messier
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm sure in Jason's mind he's thinking, "you know, this is a good draft. I better remind the Chiefs fans that it doesn't mean that suddenly the Chiefs are playoff contenders."

Well, I think Chiefs fans realize that. Here's a novel idea, why not write a column about how these picks can be the start of a rebuilding process that can make the Chiefs good for many years, instead of a few here or there with free agents.

Again lazy work by Jason

HemiEd
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
This is amusing, however.

Yep, I almost cracked a complete grin on that one.

HemiEd
04-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Are there any DEs left, that can also long snap? Lots of picks left, 9 of them.

the Talking Can
04-26-2008, 10:00 PM
did everyone in KC drink pee?

DUH!...we suck.....this isn't news

that's why WE'RE REBUILDING.....

jesus god lord mother mary quit saying "yeah, but...."

there is no "but..."...these were GREAT picks....the fact that we're going to suck next year is irrelevant...we were going to suck anyway

you can't rebuild without actually rebuilding, you can't fix everything at once...no shortcuts to the 8-8 true fans love so much...and even Whitlock, deep down, is a True Fan...

markk
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
well, he's right. the team still isn't good. the offense still probably wont score and the defense will probably be suspect at best.

but they have a mountain to climb and took the most solid first steps anyone could have asked for today

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2008, 10:04 PM
He never said Boone was going to start on the outside. He said that they can move him out there along with Turk. He also said they can do alot of different things which means they can rotate alot of people in and out depending on the situation.

Whitlock is usually ok in my book, but this was a horrible ****ing article. All he did was take a few words and run with it. Remember Whitlock assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
well, he's right. the team still isn't good. the offense still probably wont score and the defense will probably be suspect at best.

but they have a mountain to climb and took the most solid first steps anyone could have asked for today

The team was never meant to be good in 2008. They just cleaned house. They are just looking to get better. Not much further down you can go from 4-12.

JohnnyV13
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, Jwhit sees the positive fan reaction, so he has to write something contrary. I mean, if he said the same thing as us ignorant yahoos, why would he have a job? Actually, I think whitlock meant to say that Dorsey's selection reveals the hole in TURK MCBRIDE'S game.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I think whitlock meant to say that Dorsey's selection reveals the hole in TURK MCBRIDE'S game.

Which would be just as ignorant. There have been no OTAs, no training camp, no preseason. McBride could come out and look like gangbusters at left end. Or we could spend a third-round pick on a DE tomorrow and he might look like a stud, or at least a competent pass rusher.

Whitlock would have been happy with Gholston? That's called drafting for need, and not taking the best player available (no one will argue that Gholston is a better player than Dorsey), which is WHY WE'RE IN THIS POSITION TO BEGIN WITH.

Count Zarth
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
This reminds me of the article Whitlock wrote at the beginning of OTAs last year, when Trent, Brodie, Huard and Printers were all splitting reps. Whitlock said it was a pointless, insulting game, and the article was titled "Peterson's Made A Mess."

It was a total knee jerk reaction to something that had zero bearing on the season. We would up trading Trent in due time, got what he was worth, and today we picked a potential stud left tackle because we traded up using the Trent pick from "Peterson's Mess."

It's just not worth it to knee jerk in April.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=163465

Bowser
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
So after a string of pretty decent articles, Whitlock pulls out the stir-it-up card. He should have just came out and praised the Chiefs for actually landing three rookies that will be opening day starters this year.

CosmicPal
04-26-2008, 10:22 PM
He was secretly hoping the Chiefs would pick Matt Ryan so he would have something legitimate to bitch about.

Logical
04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Awful article. The Chiefs have a great first day and all Whitlock can write about is a throwaway comment and Turk McBride? Weak.I am often a Whitlock defender, and I hate Herm and Carl, but this was a weak ass kidney punch.:shake:

Logical
04-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Whitlock saved himself at the end. I agree with this:

"My point is the Chiefs have made all the right moves this offseason, including dealing Allen for picks. The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl had a great day on Saturday. But the reality is things are going to get worse before they get better. The Chiefs are not getting better right now. They’re simply getting younger.

The Chiefs wisely jumped off the superhighway and decided to fix their infrastructure. Dorsey, Albert and Flowers will help the Chiefs win games in 2010. Well, as long as they’re not victims of the King Carl Curse."
Yes, but even when he had some truth, he made it about throwing a shot at Carl instead of imparting wisdom.

jAZ
04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
It's amazing how he took a positive outlook on all 3 picks and turned it into a doom/gloom rant about how KC sucks.

What a tard.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2008, 10:40 PM
It's amazing how he took a positive outlook on all 3 picks and turned it into a doom/gloom rant about how KC sucks.

What a tard.

Welcome to Kansas City.

Whitlock is just feeding the "true fans".

MVChiefFan
04-26-2008, 10:56 PM
A word to the Star, it's time for Whitlock to move on. I'm sure he's been fine in the past for getting things up in the air but now it's starting to become tiresome. I don't even care to read him anymore because now it's to a point where he's going to take the opposing side just to get a rise. I can look at the title of his article and know exactly what he's going to say, everytime.

Chief_in_Commander
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
is turk really already a bust? is it safe to say the guy isn't going to be any good already?

Mr. Kotter
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
is turk really already a bust? is it safe to say the guy isn't going to be any good already?

It's too early to say that, IMHO. :shrug:

Pic
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
It's too early to say that, IMHO. :shrug:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/Picturesspeaklouder/thumbs1.jpg

keg in kc
04-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Since they've been talking about converting McBride into a tackle since about 30 seconds after he was drafted, what relevance does Boone possibly playing at LDE really have with regards to him?

J Diddy
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
A word to the Star, it's time for Whitlock to move on. I'm sure he's been fine in the past for getting things up in the air but now it's starting to become tiresome. I don't even care to read him anymore because now it's to a point where he's going to take the opposing side just to get a rise. I can look at the title of his article and know exactly what he's going to say, everytime.

because it riles you up is why they won't do nothing

buddha
04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
This article is very poorly written. Whitlock never states what the glaring hole in Dorsey's game is. Are we to infer that it's his inability to pressure the QB? Similarly, Whitlock states that placing Boone on the other end raises major questions about Dorsey, but what are these questions? WTF? I can't believe an editor let this go to print. Wow. Back to comp. courses for JW, whose work I normally enjoy.

The glaring hole in Dorsey's game is obvious...he's not Jeff freaking George. Why can Whitlock just admit his man love for Jeffie and get it over with?

Dayze
04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
the Star's reporters, specifically when it comes to 'reporting' on Football, leaves a lot to be desired (primarily why I don't read them).

Whitlock and Teicher are Detroit Lions of 'reporting'. Whitlock, for stirring the pot unnecessarily; and Teicher for stating the obvious 8 times out of 10.

Compound these guys with KK and local radio guys, and you get a joke for coverage.

keg in kc
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, Whitlock's job isn't to report. He's a columnist, and his job's to stir the shit and sell newspapers. This is a very, very popular draft so far, if the Planet's any indication of Chiefs fandom at large, so if he's going to create some controversy, he can't just mail it in with "Great draft Carl!"

Chief_in_Commander
04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
It's like he see's what everyone is saying about being happy with the draft and just has to bring the mood down without letting us have at least 1 day of glory........pos whitlock

Chiefs Pantalones
04-26-2008, 11:51 PM
This really is a pointless article. It's a pointless article in that he's saying what EVERYONE already knows: The Chiefs are a terrible football team and will continue to be one in 2008. You don't have to tell anyone that we won't win many games, or give 0-16 a run, or whatever. We already know that. We know we will continue to have holes that haven't been filled even after this draft. This rebuilding process is going to take longer than one year. This article that Jason wrote is pretty much just stating the obvious while trying to sound negative. The fans know the Chiefs are terrible, even the Chiefs know they'll be terrible. Jason is just running out of ammo, and much like our drafts in recent history, he's reaching.

DaWolf
04-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think Whitlock thought this article through very well. True our outside pass rush won't be as good now that Allen is gone, but if Dorsey is as dynamic a player as advertised, guess what, our inside pass rush just got a lot better, plus it frees up our linebackers to do more things and allows for our ends to provide a better pass rush. Plus who knows, you might luck into another Jared Allen in the 4th round.

You give a little, you get some back. And we got three starters today, and hopefully two have the ability to be all pros...

KCChiefsFan88
04-27-2008, 12:03 AM
And of course KCChiefsfan88 seizes on it. LMAO

Granted, the next time Half Whit says something I find significant will probably be the first.

Actually I'm miffed at Whitlock for trying to jump on the 0-16 bandwagon... he will curse the cause.

Otter
04-27-2008, 12:10 AM
My caveat in all this is that it buys Carl more time as GM if the team starts to turn around.

Besides that it looks like a great day 1.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Whitlock's hate of all things Chiefs has blinded him from being objective.

It's too bad.

He's a fine writer.

When he wants to be...

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
My caveat in all this is that it buys Carl more time as GM if the team starts to turn around.

Besides that it looks like a great day 1.Have faith, he still has to sign the picks.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Have faith, he still has to sign the picks.

Let's just hope that with the #1 overall signed (unlike last year, when the #1 didn't sign until October), the signings will fall in line quickly.

FWIW, I don't think the Chiefs will have too many problems this year, due to the lack of QB's taken.

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Let's just hope that with the #1 overall signed (unlike last year, when the #1 didn't sign until October), the signings will fall in line quickly.

FWIW, I don't think the Chiefs will have too many problems this year, due to the lack of QB's taken.I don't think they'll have any problems at all. They know this draft is their biggest to date as well as we do, and especially after the JA trade, they're going to want smooth sailing. I'll be surprised if anybody misses much more than the first week of camp.

BigDaddyChief
04-27-2008, 02:24 AM
How is Whitlock still working!? He's either spewing unrealistic speculative bullshit or stating obvious observations to Chiefs fans. 0-16...Seriously!?

CHIEF4EVER
04-27-2008, 02:45 AM
What a dumb article. We are all dumber for having read it. Shitlock is to Journalism and football knowledge what apples are to oranges.

Messier
04-27-2008, 03:03 AM
I think it's sad that the only local analysis of the draft we have is a Whitlock article saying that the Chiefs will still be bad with these picks.

the Talking Can
04-27-2008, 05:40 AM
the other truth is that whitlock doesn't watch much football, and can't tell you anything about Dorsey beyond the "He's like Sapp" Vitale-ism, and he can't tell you anything about Albert or Flowers.....so he riffs on how bad we'll be to fill space...

he's too lazy to actually follow the sport or the team he gets paid to cover...

KCinNY
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Typical Whitlock...baseless criticism of a great first day.

The Chiefs took the 3 BPAs and set themselves up for a true rebuild.

0-16 is possible, but nevertheless they're set up with a decent foundation for the future.

patteeu
04-27-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm a jwhit fan, but this column is weak.

Braincase
04-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Someone ought to dig up his column on Ryan Sims and Eddie Freeman.

Messier
04-27-2008, 07:55 AM
the other truth is that whitlock doesn't watch much football, and can't tell you anything about Dorsey beyond the "He's like Sapp" Vitale-ism, and he can't tell you anything about Albert or Flowers.....so he riffs on how bad we'll be to fill space...

he's too lazy to actually follow the sport or the team he gets paid to cover...

This can be said of the entire Star sports staff.

RINGLEADER
04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I've never understood why anyone cares what Jason Whitlock thinks.

WhitiE
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
So the Chiefs AREN'T going to the Super Bowl this year?
lol

GoHuge
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
The whole article was a back handed compliment. He just can't say "good job so far." He's got to take his shots at Carl and Bill which I think are warranted, but he's beating a dead horse. We know we're not going to be able to put the entire team together in one draft. I don't even expect us to be any better next year, but as far as the draft goes the Chiefs are doing the best they can do in the draft. You can't select 22 players. By all accounts right now the Chiefs are kicking ass. Why not just give a little cred and leave it at that? If he did that he wouldn't be hated and have people like me wasting my time replying to his trash. He's made plenty of mistakes himself this year. I still don't think Michael Beasley has a Hummer. He just pulled that out of his ass, it wasn't true, and surprise surprise no apology. It's funny how relentless he is when someone else makes a mistake, but his just kind of go away in his fatass of a mind.

Boon
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
What really suprises me is he didn't turn it into a race issue.