PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with TE BRAD COTTAM - 4/27

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/27/qa_with_te_brad_cottam__427/

Q&A with TE BRAD COTTAM - 4/27

Apr 27, 2008, 1:08:00 PM

2008 THIRD-ROUND DRAFT PICK
Q: Give us your thoughts on a team that used a lot of the two-tight end offense in the past.

COTTAM: ďIím excited. I think that it is going to be a great fit for me. Iím excited to get up there and learn from Tony Gonzalez. I just think itís a great fit for me.Ē

Q: Theyíve got the receiving tight end in Tony as you just pointed out. They always had a good blocking tight end in Jason Dunn. Can you talk about the pride you take in your blocking as a tight end?

COTTAM: ďI take a huge amount of pride in it. I think thatís something, since getting in college, I had to work on. I had to put on weight and I think Iím a good blocker now. Itís been the part of my game that Iíve had to work on the most and I think itís come a long way. I think Iím a good blocker now, so thatís really important to me.Ē

Q: It takes a certain mentality to take pride in blocking doesnít it? Everybody looks at tight ends and wants to see how many passes theyíve caught. It takes a special kind of guy to surrender that.

COTTAM: ďThatís right and itís usually the passing game that gets a little more of the glory than the blocking. But thatís the reason I like football so much is the physical aspect of it. I enjoy doing it.Ē

Q: What about your receiving skills? Do you think you can make considerable improvement on them?

COTTAM: ďYeah, I think you can always improve, especially stepping up to the next level. I think I am a good receiver. Missing part of my senior year I didnít have a lot of receptions but I think I can be utilized as a receiver.Ē

Q: Youíve battled some injury problems. Tell us about that and how it influences the future.

COTTAM: ďProbably the biggest thing I had going on was my freshman and sophomore years Ė I was kind of battling a shoulder problem. I ended up having two separate shoulder surgeries and that was really the only major surgery besides my wrist. The thumb surgery was real small and the sports hernia wasnít a big deal. The week before my senior season I dislocated my wrist and that caused me to miss the first nine games and play in the last five. But everything feels fine now; itís healed and obviously I got checked out by the doctors and everything. I feel great now but it reminds me of where I came from and that I have a lot to improve. I want to be a big part of a team because I missed out on what was supposed to be a big season.Ē

Q: Youíve got to believe thatís behind you, I hope.

COTTAM: ďDefinitely. People ask me if I worry about it when I get out there. Thereís no way I can think of many other things, but itís behind me. Iíve had my share of injuries; Iím not going to worry about that. I donít think that will happen anymore. Iím excited to be on a team and get to play again.Ē

Q: Do you think you can take Gonzalez one-on-one in basketball?

COTTAM: ďIíve already been told by someone not to challenge him. I think I would do alright. The last time I was on a basketball team we won the intramural championship at Tennessee. But I might have to brush up on my skills a little bit before I do that.Ē

Q: Tony had a great relationship with Jason Dunn. Do you hope to establish that kind of relationship with a guy youíre going to be in the meeting room with all the time?

COTTAM: ďYes, I think thatís important. When I was at Tennessee most of our sets were two-tight end sets so we both played together a lot of the time. Yeah, we competed against each other but weíre still good friends and I think thatís important to get along with your teammates as well as those at your position. I think it will make everybody better.Ē

Q: What do you think you are going to have to do to get on the field?

COTTAM: ďWhatever the coach asks me to do. I think itís just going to be a matter of stepping up to the next level and being more physical and getting used to everyoneís speed. Just playing, I think, actually helps you a lot. Obviously, weíll have a play book and Iím just a part of it. Iím excited about taking everything in and just getting out there and working with everybody.Ē

MTG#10
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Meh. This is the pick I'm the least excited about. He probably wont even see any playing time with Gonzo and Michael Allan on the roster.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
He kind of reminds me of David LaFleur from the late 90's Cowboys. I dont expect much catching out of him. Im sure he was drafted to replace Dunn.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Meh. This is the pick I'm the least excited about. He probably wont even see any playing time with Gonzo and Michael Allan on the roster.

So you've already penciled in Michael Allan as a starter? A guy who didn't play last year, needed to put on a massive amount of muscle and who played at a Division III school?

:spock:

BigChiefFan
04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
He's got potential to become a dominant TE. With his size and athletisim he could become a nightmare for opposing defenses. He just needs to stay healthy. Alot of people think he could be a force in the NFL. Now is the time to get a TE in here to learn from Tony G.

KCChiefsFan88
04-27-2008, 03:36 PM
He has the potential to become a poor man's Jonathan Hayes... the Chiefs sure strive for excellence in their drafts. They look for the next poor man's Jonathan Hayes

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Allen isn't a blocking TE.

Cottom is a necessity to a team that will run a lot of 2 TE sets, like we will.

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 03:38 PM
He has the potential to become a poor man's Jonathan Hayes... the Chiefs sure strive for excellence in their drafts. They look for the next poor man's Jonathan Hayes

jackass whiner

CosmicPal
04-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow...those were horrible questions. I got absolutely nothing out of this interview.

"Oh hey, do you think you can play basketball with Tony G?" :rolleyes:

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Wow...those were horrible questions. I got absolutely nothing out of this interview.

"Oh hey, do you think you can play basketball with Tony G?" :rolleyes:

these are the "hard" questions you've been hearing about

after the draft they're gonna nail herm with such brain melting questions such as "whats your favorite color?" and "Do you think the original longest yard was better than the new one?"

recxjake
04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I would have liked someone more in the mold of Dunn... but hopefully this guy can get it done.

Rain Man
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Q: Youíve battled some injury problems. Tell us about that and how it influences the future.

COTTAM: ďProbably the biggest thing I had going on was my freshman and sophomore years Ė I was kind of battling a shoulder problem. I ended up having two separate shoulder surgeries and that was really the only major surgery besides my wrist. The thumb surgery was real small and the sports hernia wasnít a big deal. The week before my senior season I dislocated my wrist and that caused me to miss the first nine games and play in the last five. But everything feels fine now; itís healed and obviously I got checked out by the doctors and everything.

This made me laugh.

"It's only a flesh wound!"

mikey23545
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I would have liked someone more in the mold of Dunn... but hopefully this guy can get it done.

Really?

I'd like someone who might end up better than Dunn.

HemiEd
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
This made me laugh.

"It's only a flesh wound!"

+1

Count Alex's Wins
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm hearing conflicting reports on this guy's abilities as a blocker. The Chiefs say they drafted him to be a blocker, but one scout says he plays too high to be an effective blocker on the line. I guess we'll see.

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm hearing conflicting reports on this guy's abilities as a blocker. The Chiefs say they drafted him to be a blocker, but one scout says he plays too high to be an effective blocker on the line. I guess we'll see.

nick will tell you what to think tomorrow

Count Alex's Wins
04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
nick will tell you what to think tomorrow

It didn't come from Nick.