PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Chiefs Q&A - 2008 Draft Wrapup

DaFace
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/27/qa__2008_draft_wrapup/

Q&A - 2008 DRAFT WRAP-UP
Apr 27, 2008, 6:40:25 PM

CARL PETERSON: “I think it’s been a very, very fruitful weekend. I want to commend Bill Kuharich and his scouts for all the work they’ve put into this. In the time that Bill has been doing this here I cannot remember the thoroughness that he put into this draft this year; we’ve seemed to put more into this in-depth.

“The other part that I found more impressive is he and I and Herm this week talking about the what-ifs. No one can predict the draft and to have a successful draft you have to have luck also and I think we did that we were able to take advantage of needs without having to stretch. We stayed with the board and I’m always comfortable when we do that.”

HERM EDWARDS: “We stuck mainly to our board and have players who can compete at a lot of different positions. We need to fill a lot of holes and I thought we did that especially here today. We filled a return situation, offensive line, wide receiver, corner, defensive line and we got two tight ends out of the deal, too. It’ll be very competitive.

“Will Franklin is a big wide-out who most of us have seen before. We just felt he had a lot of speed. Lot of potential. [Missouri] had a lot of receivers and they threw the ball all over the ball yard. But he’s a guy that has a good upside and was very successful in college.

“Brandon Carr is a corner is out of Grand Valley. We got on him a little late and brought him in here and actually he was in the same system that we run. He’s a good sized corner with good skills who tackles well. He’s Division II [player] but when you look at the guy play he was a late-bloomer coming out of high school so he didn’t get recruited by Michigan or a Michigan State. He can run, has good ball skills, good cover skills.

“The tackle out of Clemson, Barry Richardson, is a big powerful guy. We feel that he is a right tackle and Kevin Robinson is a punt and kickoff returner. Very productive who did a good job in some all-star games. The kid from Gardner-Webb [Brian Johnston] we brought in here also earlier. He grew up in San Diego and is a guy that can run. He’s an end, up-tempo guy.

“The last guy, Michael Merritt, is a guy who played at Central Florida who we brought in here also. He’s a tight end who’s a phenomenal blocker. When you watch this guy block he is unbelievable.

“Those were positions we needed to address and we addressed them and now the competition begins.”

Q: Can you sum up the whole weekend and do you think you’ve got the makings of what you said you needed?

EDWARDS: “You never get every player you want and at every position but I thought our first two picks started off a good roll for us along with our second round pick. Then from there you go and start picking and stay with your board. We didn’t do much reaching at all as we laid out our board. We had a lot of needs we had to fill now the unique part for us is we need to sign 21 college free agents. Lot of youth around here and that’s good for us and the direction we’re heading in. It’s great energy right now and we have to use that to our advantage.”

Q: How many offensive linemen of your 13 picks might you have picked?

EDWARDS: “You don’t want to start reaching at offensive linemen. There is a clear cut level of guys who can come in right now and compete for starting positions. There are others you look at and say maybe this guy is a year or two away.

“In our league the big guys go fast, whether it be on offense or defense. Big players who are good players go fast. You can look at the draft and all the good offensive linemen go very quickly. All the defensive linemen go very quickly. It’s a hard position to fill and if you get those guys and hit they’re going to play for you for a long time. There were some guys down there lower in the draft that we feel have potential and who can come in and compete.”

Q: Do you wish you had gotten more offensive linemen?

EDWARDS: “I think we have some guys here. We can’t lose sight of the guys here that we brought it last year and this year that are under the radar screen. It’s a great start for us.”

Q: Say Branden Albert starts for you guys; how do the other positions flesh out?

EDWARDS: “There are some guys here at the center and guard positions that will compete for those positions.”

Q: You said you were lucky, how so Carl?

EDWARDS: “I think we were all somewhat surprised in Dorsey falling to us in the fifth pick. There was one scenario that had him coming to us. Now we need to get him here and get him going. We had to make a little move to get to Albert but he was the guy we wanted and there were eight offensive tackles taken in the first round which is extraordinary.

“We’re pleased with how it went and corner was a need and the first three guys we revisited here in our 30 [player visit to Kansas City.] We ended up looking at six of the 12 players we drafted we brought back in for further evaluation.”

Q: Do you feel good about the weekend?

PETERSON: “Sure, I think everyone should. I feel very, very good. I think every Chiefs fan should feel good. This is the new beginning for this year. There are good players and good people here. We tried to do our homework on every guy.”

Q: There have been years when the analysts say nothing about your draft but this year they’re falling all over themselves complimenting you. Do you feel any different this year?

PETERSON: “I try not to put too much into what these guys say. It’s not their living other than to talk. But when you have 12 picks they’re going to say this is a terrific draft and we had more than anybody else. The key is the right guys at the right positions and then they must come in and help us win. This process started three drafts ago with Herm and his philosophy and this organization’s philosophy that we’re going to get younger and rebuild this thing and we’re going to rebuild it through the draft. I’d like to think we made another real good push towards that.”

Pestilence
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
So Richardson is being looked at for the RT job?

Does that mean that McIntosh gets to moved to RG or are we going to keep him at LT and move Albert to the RG spot?

McIntosh/Waters/Niswanger/Albert/Richardson?

Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson?

Mr. Arrowhead
04-27-2008, 07:20 PM
So Richardson is being looked at for the RT job?

Does that mean that McIntosh gets to moved to RG or are we going to keep him at LT and move Albert to the RG spot?

McIntosh/Waters/Niswanger/Albert/Richardson?

Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson?

my thoughts exactly, if richardson is penciled in as the starting right tackle i guess we move mcintosh to guard, which i think he will prolly be more effective there.

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
You don’t want to start reaching at offensive linemen. There is a clear cut level of guys who can come in right now and compete for starting positions. There are others you look at and say maybe this guy is a year or two away.

I love hearing this.

nychief
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I hope richardson starts on the inside.

Douche Baggins
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
my thoughts exactly, if richardson is penciled in as the starting right tackle i guess we move mcintosh to guard, which i think he will prolly be more effective there.

Paging milkman. Milkman please report to the thread.

Blindside58
04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I really think it should be stated that this is a cliffs notes version of the press conference. If anyone one cares you can watch the full 16:00 minute press conference...it is viewable at the Chiefs website.

Direckshun
04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
We're not going to play Albert at guard, hopefully.

You trade up from 17 to 15 for a left tackle, period.

I'm guessing it's Albert/anything can happen/anything can happen/anything can happen/Richardson.

bsp4444
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I have no problem leaving McIntosh at LT and putting Albert in at guard for now. Albert can be an awesome guard until we need him to move to tackle.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Any coincidence that Merritt blocked for a RB that led the nation in rushing this year?

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I have no problem leaving McIntosh at LT and putting Albert in at guard for now. Albert can be an awesome guard until we need him to move to tackle.

No way, you put Albert in at LT immediately to see what he can do. You don't waste a top 15 pick on a guard unless you absolutely have to.

beach tribe
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
No way, you put Albert in at LT immediately to see what he can do. You don't waste a top 15 pick on a guard unless you absolutely have to.

YUUUUUUP. If he's going to play left tackle, he needs to be playing left tackle.

el borracho
04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Another possibility- McIntosh/Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson

I know people will freak if Albert doesn't play tackle but this scenario would leave room for Oher next year. ;)

Mecca
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
That tells you right there, Cottam was taken as a pure value pick..and Merritt was taken to take Dunns spot.

Richardson in my view can play RT, I think they should let him try because a OT is more valuable than OG.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Another possibility- McIntosh/Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson

I know people will freak if Albert doesn't play tackle but this scenario would leave room for Oher next year. ;)

If they took Oher next year Albert could still move over.....I still think they should let him play OT this year.

Pestilence
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm more than happy with an O-line that looks like this:

Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson

and a D-line that looks like this:

Hali/Tyler/Dorsey/Johnston

bsp4444
We're not going to play Albert at guard, hopefully.

You trade up from 17 to 15 for a left tackle, period.

I'm guessing it's Albert/anything can happen/anything can happen/anything can happen/Richardson.

Only two spots difference from Steve Hutchinson. If he's all world at guard, he can stay at guard.

DaFace
I really think it should be stated that this is a cliffs notes version of the press conference. If anyone one cares you can watch the full 16:00 minute press conference...it is viewable at the Chiefs website.

Could be they're still typing it up or something. Thanks for the heads up.

Douche Baggins
If we wind up finding a starting DE and a starting RT in rounds six and seven, Herm deserves a medal.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I was on that Richardson wagon for months that he'd be a steal in this draft.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm more than happy with an O-line that looks like this:

Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson

and a D-line that looks like this:

Hali/Tyler/Dorsey/Johnston

McIntosh at guard? I find that unlikely.

Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Richardson

rad
04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
EDWARDS: “You never get every player you want and at every position but I thought our first two picks started off a good roll for us along with our second round pick. Then from there you go and start picking and stay with your board. We didn’t do much reaching at all as we laid out our board. We had a lot of needs we had to fill now the unique part for us is we need to sign 21 college free agents. Lot of youth around here and that’s good for us and the direction we’re heading in. It’s great energy right now and we have to use that to our advantage.”

Holy Sh!t....

JBucc
04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
LT-Albert, McIntosh
LG-Waters, ???
C-Niswanger, Smith
RG-Hopefully Eric Young or other UDFA, ???
RT-Richardson, Taylor

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Regarding the OL:

Start your best 5. Period.

If that means Albert playing RG, then so be it. I don't see why the kid HAS to play LT. Guards are drafted around that slot in the 1st almost every year.

McIntosh
Waters
Niswanger
Taylor/Richardson
Richardson/Taylor

But I think moving your worst run blocker to RT or RG just to make a spot for Albert when you ALREADY have a spot for him at RG is stupid.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
It could also go

LT-McIntosh
LG-Albert
C-Waters
RG-Richardson
RT-Taylor

Best case:

LT-Albert
LG-Waters
C-Niswanger
RG-McIntosh
RT-Richardson

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
It could also go

LT-McIntosh
LG-Albert
C-Waters
RG-Richardson
RT-Taylor

Best case:

LT-Albert
LG-Waters
C-Niswanger
RG-McIntosh
RT-Richardson

I hate that first option even more than the second.

No reason to move Waters, IMO.

And I've mentioned my reasoning for not wanting McIntosh to play RG/RT.

Either Mac plays LT, or he's a backup. He's pretty much worthless at any other position, IMO.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I just want people to know 1 thing, next years draft has an elite LT prospect and an elite center prospect, guys with really high picks.

Hoover
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Carl better watch out, Bill Kuharich could be his replacement.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Regarding the OL:

Start your best 5. Period.

If that means Albert playing RG, then so be it. I don't see why the kid HAS to play LT. Guards are drafted around that slot in the 1st almost every year.

McIntosh
Waters
Niswanger
Taylor/Richardson
Richardson/Taylor

But I think moving your worst run blocker to RT or RG just to make a spot for Albert when you ALREADY have a spot for him at RG is stupid.

From what Herm said today they are going to play the 5 best players and if McIntosh had to he could play guard.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I hate that first option even more than the second.

No reason to move Waters, IMO.

And I've mentioned my reasoning for not wanting McIntosh to play RG/RT.

Either Mac plays LT, or he's a backup. He's pretty much worthless at any other position, IMO.

:spock:

You just said "best five". Now you're equivocating based on McIntosh's position.

KC Tattoo
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Cudos to Herm Edwards Bill Kuharich & Carl (cough) Peterson. Wow excellent draft WOOT!!! I am stoked ! ! ! :thumb:

:toast::arrow:

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
:spock:

You just said "best five". Now you're equivocating based on McIntosh's position.

Because he's not one of the best 5 IMO if he's forced to play another position. I think Taylor, Richardson or God, even Stallings would be better on the right side than Mac.

Does it make ANY sense to move your worst run blocker to RG or RT, especially when you run a downhill, smashmouth offensive scheme?

I think you get more out of this line by playing Mac at LT and Albert at Guard, both at their natural positions, instead of moving both guys to positions that they either 1) haven't played, or 2) don't fit the scheme and would be a liability.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I just want people to know 1 thing, next years draft has an elite LT prospect and an elite center prospect, guys with really high picks.

And an elite defensive end.

Selvie and Dorsey on the same line would be crazy.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
From what Herm said today they are going to play the 5 best players and if McIntosh had to he could play guard.

For LJ's sake, I hope he doesn't have to.

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Don't even start. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment for when we draft Tim Tebow #1 overall.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM

I'd like to see Selvie put on 10 lbs.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
For LJ's sake, I hope he doesn't have to.

Either him or Albert is going to play LT. Albert has only played on the left side so he can play LG or LT.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Because he's not one of the best 5 IMO if he's forced to play another position. I think Taylor, Richardson or God, even Stallings would be better on the right side than Mac.

Does it make ANY sense to move your worst run blocker to RG or RT, especially when you run a downhill, smashmouth offensive scheme?

I think you get more out of this line by playing Mac at LT and Albert at Guard, both at their natural positions, instead of moving both guys to positions that they either 1) haven't played, or 2) don't fit the scheme and would be a liability.

Just because Albert played guard in college doesn't mean that he's nothing but a guard. He even said as much in an interview. Mac played RT for the Dolphins, and seemed to do an adequate job there. It's not like Ronnie Brown was trash.

Douche Baggins
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
As someone said, just stick him there and LEAVE HIM. Let him learn while we suck so he's a beast-****ing road grader demon when we make our run.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Mac played RT for the Dolphins, and seemed to do an adequate job there. It's not like Ronnie Brown was trash.

That is not what I heard or read. One of the reasons SD let go of him because he sucked at RT

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Either him or Albert is going to play LT. Albert has only played on the left side so he can play LG or LT.

Then, as I've pointed out, IMO, there's no other starting spot that Mac is worthy of.

You don't weaken your line by moving guys to positions that would totally expose them. We've had a great draft. There's no reason to panic now and try to re-invent the wheel by moving OLmen all over the place.

I guess the key will be if Wade Smith can grab the starting center job from Niswanger. If so, things look pretty good, IMO.

Albert
Waters
Smith
Niswanger
Richardson/Taylor

Albert's backup it is, Damion.

Delano
04-27-2008, 08:14 PM

Who's the center? Alex Mack?

KC Tattoo
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Then, as I've pointed out, IMO, there's no other starting spot that Mac is worthy of.

You don't weaken your line by moving guys to positions that would totally expose them. We've had a great draft. There's no reason to panic now and try to re-invent the wheel by moving OLmen all over the place.

I guess the key will be if Wade Smith can grab the starting center job from Niswanger. If so, things look pretty good, IMO.

Albert
Waters
Smith
Niswanger
Richardson/Taylor

Albert's backup it is, Damion.

I like this logic:clap:

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Just because Albert played guard in college doesn't mean that he's nothing but a guard. He even said as much in an interview. Mac played RT for the Dolphins, and seemed to do an adequate job there. It's not like Ronnie Brown was trash.

I think you might be misunderstanding my position.

I'm not against Albert playing LT at all.

I'm against playing Mac just for the sake of playing him, at a position he's going to be exposed at, while two better (and younger) options sit on the bench.

Hoover
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
If it were me this would be my line

LT: Albert
LG: Waters
C: Rudy
RG: Richardson
RT: Mac

We should be able to run all over the place, especially on the left side. Also note that Albert's college Oline coach said he was the smartest lineman he's been around. His coach also was the Oline coach at Notre Dame and Stanford. Said he really understands pass protections. That coupled with his size and agility tells me to stick him in a LT and take him out in 10 plus years.

If that units can gel quickly and one of the 50 FA FBs turns out to be a player we will improve our running game by ten fold, which will also open up the passing game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I think you might be misunderstanding my position.

I'm not against Albert playing LT at all.

I'm against playing Mac just for the sake of playing him, at a position he's going to be exposed at, while two better (and younger) options sit on the bench.

Well, it's easy to see the confusion when on one hand you say play your best five, but you are concurrently saying that McIntosh (who is undoubtedly one of our five best linemen) only works at LT, especially when we have several guys on this line who can play multiple positions.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
That is not what I heard or read. One of the reasons SD let go of him because he sucked at RT

I misspoke. After reading his bio on the Chiefs website McIntosh has played all of his games at LT except for 2 at RG.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Ideally, we could bring in Radovich or Young to compete at RG. If they can hack it, then you can throw Richardson at RT, and if he doesn't work, we also have Herb.

I don't really care about having our best players out there who are the best *right now*. I'd rather we put the guys out there who will have time to grow together.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, it's easy to see the confusion when on one hand you say play your best five, but you are concurrently saying that McIntosh (who is undoubtedly one of our five best linemen) only works at LT, especially when we have several guys on this line who can play multiple positions.

Again, because I don't think Mac is among the best 5 we have if he's playing on the right side.

I'm not sure why that's so hard to get.

He's not better than the other options we have at those positions, IMO.

If you take our best 5 overall linemen, and play them at the positions they play best, that line is going to trump the same 5 players them all (save Waters, hopefully) playing a different position.

**** it, let's move McIntosh to center.

Delano
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Ideally, we could bring in Radovich or Young to compete at RG. If they can hack it, then you can throw Richardson at RT, and if he doesn't work, we also have Herb.

I don't really care about having our best players out there who are the best *right now*. I'd rather we put the guys out there who will have time to grow together.

I think Radovich is a Viking.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM

This I agree with 100%.

My preference is that Mac is a backup, and the young guys play.

And like I said earlier, if Wade Smith wins the center job, it's a moot point.

Albert
Waters
Smith
Niswanger
Richardson/Taylor

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM

If you look at the Chiefs roster they only have 2 guards on their whole team.
Rob Hill and Waters.

They have 9 tackles.

Hoover
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I actually think Herb Taylor might be candidate for RG

Hoover
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
79 Alabi, Anthony T 6-5 315 02/16/81 4 TCU
76 Albert, Branden T 6-5 316 11/04/84 R Virginia
77 McIntosh, Damion T 6-4 328 03/25/77 9 Kansas State
64 Niswanger, Rudy C 6-5 301 11/09/82 3 LSU
0 Richardson, Barry T 6-6 319 05/15/86 R Clemson
66 Smith, Rob G 6-3 311 03/08/84 1 Tennessee
74 Smith, Wade C 6-4 296 04/26/81 6 Memphis
61 Stallings, Tre T 6-3 315 01/08/83 2 Mississippi
71 Svitek, Will T 6-6 300 01/08/82 4 Stanford
65 Taylor, Herb T 6-3 295 09/22/84 2 TCU
54 Waters, Brian G 6-3 320 02/18/77 9 North Texas

2 Centers, 2 Guards, but a bunch of guys who play multiple positions

Mecca
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Who's the center? Alex Mack?

I think Antione Caldwell is a better prospect actually...