PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft For masochists..07 & 08 Chiefsplanet draft look back

banyon
04-27-2008, 07:11 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140004&page=2

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162245

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd say I was right on with my C+ grade for '06. Direckshun gave it an A...WTF???

banyon
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Rd. 1: Hali = C no one has been able to convince me that this guy wouldn't have been available at 30 and if not someone with similar ability would've been there. I really hope he works out, because pass rush is one of our weakest areas. Looking closer than I was originally blasted for.

Rd. 2: Pollard = F this guy was a 4th rounder according to nearly everyone. more than that he duplicates positions we already have. Total reach. Special teamer now unless he works out at WIL.

Rd. 3: Brodie Croyle = A great value. First QBOTF that has a real shot to be a QBOTF. like his ability and heart. Maybe not.

Rd. 4: Herm = B+ considering the player the Jets picked here maybe I could rate this pick higher. NO.

Rd. 5: Marcus Maxey = C FS candidate who is three steps slow. hopefully he will rock on SP teams. He didn't even play ST's worth a damn.

Rd. 6. Tre Stallings/ Jeff Webb = A+ As you can see from my new avy, I like the Webb pick. (it's an A+++, which averages out with my B excitement over Stallings to an A+). Stallings looks like he mightbe molded Svitek style. Stallings and Webb blow.

Rd. 7. Jarrad Page. = D- Did we really need another safety? he's sure to be cut, but at least someone else might've had a better shotat the scout team.

Pretty good value for Rd. 7

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
My 06 ratings:

I really, really like it.

1. Tamba Hali - "Reach" or not, we got the best possible player we could have drafted at #20, in my eyes. A Sure.
2. Bernard Pollard - Reach? Probably. Immensely intriguing prospect? You betcha. B- Pretty much.
3. Brodie Croyle - Amazing value pick, and a legit QBOTF. Basically, if he can avoid getting hurt, he's going to be a very good QB. In the immortal words of Michael Bluth, "You've gotta lock that down." A+ Still a great pick, regardless of how he turns out.
5. Marcus Maxey - Quite possibly our FSOTF. Not experienced, but he's impressed quite a lot in his limited action. He beat out second-rounder Devin Hester for a starting spot at Miami, and sounds like he was made for the Cover Two. B Aw, ****.
6a. Tre Stallings - I'd have rather had a DT like LeKevin Smith, but for what he is, he seems like someone who could develop into a nice OG or even RT prospect. Also, calling a sixth-rounder a reach is patently ludicrous. C+ whatev
6b. Jeff Webb - A big, reasonably fast (when motivated?) receiver; he honestly does seem to play in that Randy Moss, "la la la I guess I'll catch this" sort of mold, but I do believe he's got skills. Can they pay the bills? We'll find out. B+ whatev
7. Jarrad Page - After being initiallly disappointed, I actually think he's a decent enough seventh-rounder and am apparently higher on him than most. B- Yay!

I slightly overrated it at B+, but no biggie. It was half-decent.

banyon
04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Shane069 knocks the 07 out of the park:

Bowe - A+
I love that they took a playmaker in the 1st round, and it just so happened to be a position of great need for us. Out of Meachem, Jarrett, and Bowe, DB was my favorite. The fact that they resisted the temptation to take a OT from the MAC in the 1st round pushes this grade from an "A" to an "A+".

McBride - D
We drafted another Jimmy Wilkerson in the 2nd round. I don't see how he's ever gonna become a starter.

Tank - C
Should be a starter from Day 1. However, if he has any more run-ins with the law, this could turn into a terrible pick. Between this pick and Denver's pick of Marcus Thomas in the 4th, I think Denver got the better value.

Kolby - D
Frank Moreau, Part Deux. However, if he knocks Big Foot off the roster, his grade increases to a "C". I don't understand why we would take a 4th RB to sit behind LJ, Bennett, and Derrick Ross.

Medlock - D
Four thoughts about this pick...
1) If there is a true competition for the roster spot, is this guy really gonna be better than Tynes?
2) Did we draft the wrong kicker?
3) Carl's ego is too big to pass up a UCLA guy.
4) Did we really need another guy with a drunk-driving history?

Herb Taylor - A
This is where all O-lineman should be drafted. Great college production at a good program, similar to Stallings last year. This guy probably has a chance to be our starting RT this year after Sampson gets hurt again and Terry gets arrested again.

Michael Allen - A or F
We need a young TE. Again, if he knocks Kris Wilson off the roster, he gets an "A". If they try to sneak him onto the practice squad and he leaves, then the grade goes to "F".

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Aside from calling Kolby the next Frank Moreau, that's pretty awesome.

Also, I'd like to apologize for defending Medlock from draft day all the way through the halfway point of last season. My bad.

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Medlock shows why drafting kickers is stupid. They're crapshoots and often take years to develop.

banyon
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Closest in 06: KansasCityChiefs (that's his profile name somehow).

Round 1 - Tamba Hali (Defensive End): I like his upside, he's a raw athlete that can either turn into something special (Pro-Bowler) or can stay at the same level he's at right now. I think it was a bit of a reach, but not one that can be questioned. Grade: B

Round 2 - Bernard Pollard (Safety): I don't really like this pick because Pollard doesn't really have much potential to work with. He's known for head-hunting and that's about it. He doesn't have the covering skills that can make him a reliable starter in the future, so this seems somewhat like a pick that could've been used elsewhere. Grade: D+

Round 3 - Brodie Croyle (Quarterback): Love this pick, but I don't love it as much as some on this board. He is not the next Tom Brady. He is not the next Joe Montana. I don't think he is ever going to be a perennial Pro-Bowler, but I do think he will provide some solid years under center for KC. Good value pick though in the 3rd round. Grade: A-

Round 5 - Marcus Maxey (Cornerback/Safety): Has good size at 6-2 almost and 200 pounds. A bit slow at 4.5 and sounds to me like he is going to be a project, which usually never work out. Too many questions to justify this pick. Might be decent in ST because he has good instincts and is a good tackler, but I don't ever seeing him getting much time at CB or S. Grade: C-

Round 6 - Tré Stallings (Tackle/Guard): This was a bit of a reach, he was projected to be a FA, so this made me question even furthur why we didn't get Rodrique Wright at this position. He has good size and the brains to be a decent backkup, but is a big softy. Said not be very strong and isn't very quick and his work ethic is questioned, so this is not a very impressive pick to me. Grade: D

Round 6 - Jeff Webb (Wide Receiver): Great value pick here, but it would've been an even bigger steal if we took Nance. I still can't believe he wasn't drafted at all. I like Webb because he has good size (6-2 210) and speed (4.4) and looks like he can adjust to balls really well. Plays strong and reminds some people of a little bit faster Keyshawn Johnson. The only downside I can see in this pick is he doesn't run routes very well, he seems pretty cocky and his work ethic is questioned also. I don't think this is as good a pick as some people do on here too. People act like he's the Chiefs savior at WR and the heir to Eddie Kennison. Settle down people, he might be a solid starter, but he's not going to come in and dominate. Grade: B

Round 7 - Jarrad Page (Safety): This was one of those picks where you say, "Why did we even draft him?" There is slim to none chances of this guy making the roster because we have about three or four other guys that are clones of him: slow and can't cover. The only chance of this guy making any NFL roster is if he switches to a backer, because 4.7 speed won't cut it at safety. Grade: F

...and he never posted again.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Clearly, he was ashamed of his Page assessment.

Simply Red
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree.