PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Mel Kiper's draft grades: Chief get only A

Short Leash Hootie
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3357479

Kansas City Chiefs: GRADE: A
The rebuilding process is on. The Chiefs started the draft with 13 picks, and they made them count. After getting defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey -- the No. 1 player on my Big Board -- with the fifth overall pick, the Chiefs grabbed tackle Branden Albert, although he will be a work in progress. Virginia Tech cornerback Brandon Flowers would have been a mid-first-round pick if he had run better 40 times at the NFL combine. On Day 2, RB Jamaal Charles and Tennessee TE Brad Cottam -- who has untapped ability -- will be nice complements on offense. Cottam could be a diamond in the rough. DaJuan Morgan is a solid safety, Brandon Carr is another corner who might be a sleeper and Kevin Robinson can make his mark in the return game. Barry Richardson never materialized into a great offensive lineman at Clemson, but he could start right away with the holes Kansas City has on its offensive line. Defensive end Brian Johnston has long-range potential.

Count Zarth
04-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah...just like that...ooooooh....mmmm....oh, damn. YEAH.

Boris The Great
04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
REPOST

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah...just like that...ooooooh....mmmm....oh, damn. YEAH.Dorsey was the money shot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
It's obvious to me that the Chiefs just know what the draft is all about.

scott free
04-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Lets be honest...what a great draft, value in every single round...its still gonna be rough, but i can see an early 90's Bucs with better O talent forming here.

As another writer said, if we still had Jared we'd be talking about one of the best units in the league...as of now, its better...but still Helter-Skelter...DE is a definite problem...oh what could have been.

But, regardless...we have a talented young core along the D line now, lets mix & match'em 'til something workable comes along.

Check the delusions, up with hopes here in Scottyland.

kepp
04-28-2008, 12:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3357479
Kansas City Chiefs: GRADE: A
Tennessee TE Brad Cottam -- who has untapped ability -- will be nice complements on offense. Cottam could be a diamond in the rough.

This was my only slight cringe of the draft. Not because Cottam isn't good, but because I would rather have had Rucker. All in all though, it feels good to be coming out of draft weekend with a full bottle of Pepto Bismol.

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Kiper's lowest grade for any team was a "C."

He's almost the Garrison Keillor of football, reporting the sports from Lake Wobegone, where all of the teams are above average.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2008, 01:14 AM

He's almost the Garrison Keillor of football, reporting the sports from Lake Wobegone, where all of the teams are above average.

QFT.

A scale from 1 to 3 doesn't really mean jackshit.

"Eww, we're 2!"

"Well, those f*ckers were a 1!"

"Oh, I guess we don't suck!"

"Yay!" :rolleyes:

Has Mel gone all "touchy-feely" during his male-pattern baldness days?

Mecca
04-28-2008, 01:16 AM
I think they told Mel to stop being so harsh, he use to rail on teams for bad picks.

Also for the Cottam/Rucker debate, I'm not sure the Chief felt they had a spot for a TE with basically no blocking ability.

Amnorix
04-28-2008, 05:58 AM

That's cuz he doesn't want to give an F and be shown a total fool 3 years from now when proven wrong.

Frankly, Kiper is little more than any other intense draftnik, except with better hair.

I'm thinking BB isn't losing any sleep over Kiper's C+ grade for the Patriots.

King_Chief_Fan
04-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Albert a work in progress? Not sure what he means....unless it is this guard is going to play OT thing.