PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nitpick-- I'm a little bothered...

Sully
04-28-2008, 07:57 AM
...but just a little.

What a great draft. I'm excited to see these guys play. I don't know that it could have worked out much better for the Chiefs.

But, I have one nitpick.
The coaches and Carl keep saying how much more they worked on scouting this year...how much more time they put in, etc. I wonder why they wouldn't do that every year. I wonder if they've learned their lesson, and will work that hard from her on out. It just bothers me that they are patting themselves on the back simply for doing what they should've always been doing.

/picking nits

Direckshun
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Keep in mind this was the first Draft Herm was virtually in total control of.

I don't see any reason why this trend can't continue for seasons future.

KcMizzou
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Eh, at least they weren't raving about coming to work at 3am and going home at midnight. (I'm looking at you, Gunther.)

Some coaches are never too busy to tell you how busy they are. :rolleyes:

Extra Point
04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I guess CP can enjoy his month-long vacation now.

Rausch
04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Probably due to the fact we don't normaly have 200 picks...

the Talking Can
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
...but just a little.

What a great draft. I'm excited to see these guys play. I don't know that it could have worked out much better for the Chiefs.

But, I have one nitpick.
The coaches and Carl keep saying how much more they worked on scouting this year...how much more time they put in, etc. I wonder why they wouldn't do that every year. I wonder if they've learned their lesson, and will work that hard from her on out. It just bothers me that they are patting themselves on the back simply for doing what they should've always been doing.

/picking nits

i had the same thought....obviously having high picks helps, but more than ever they stuck to their board and it seems their board was right (which is the result of good scouting) - that's how we got Charles and Morgan in the 3rd, and didn't reach for either Richardson or Johnston when in years past we would have...

whatever, I hope they apply the same preparation every year, and stick to value drafting....

the Talking Can
04-28-2008, 08:23 AM
it also puts into relief just how terrible and lazy DV's drafts were...

eazyb81
04-28-2008, 08:24 AM
I noticed that comment too, and it did bother me. That said, hopefully this just means that Herm and Kuharich were given more control than ever before.

Whatever the hell they did, they better not change a thing.

Mr. Plow
04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Could part of it be that we needed so many players that damn near anyone we drafted was an upgrade therefore a good pick?

the Talking Can
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Could part of it be that we needed so many players that damn near anyone we drafted was an upgrade therefore a good pick?

sure, but a more charitable description is that the volume of picks allowed to draft BAA and worry about reaching...

Sully
04-28-2008, 08:31 AM

That helps!!:D

Sully
04-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Let me go ahead and follow this up with a real positive I saw out of yesterday's draft.
Unlike the status quo we've seen over the past 20 years, it looks like Herm isn't afraid to admit mistakes, and recover. The Morgan pick is what I mean. He drafted 2 safeties, one with a pretty heft reach, 2 years ago, and instead of firmly sticking with "his" guys, went ahead and tabbed a guy who could take one of their jobs yesterday. Great pick, and great way to pick BPA.

UTChief
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
it also puts into relief just how terrible and lazy DV's drafts were...:clap:

Fish
04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Let me go ahead and follow this up with a real positive I saw out of yesterday's draft.
Unlike the status quo we've seen over the past 20 years, it looks like Herm isn't afraid to admit mistakes, and recover. The Morgan pick is what I mean. He drafted 2 safeties, one with a pretty heft reach, 2 years ago, and instead of firmly sticking with "his" guys, went ahead and tabbed a guy who could take one of their jobs yesterday. Great pick, and great way to pick BPA.

That's a good point. I've been a homer as far as Pollard is concerned, but the fact that with that pick Herm is acknowledging that he might not have it, and has acquired what looks to be a helluva replacement/backup plan says a lot. Nobody has a guaranteed spot... no matter where you were drafted. You will produce, or your ass will be on the bench.

I love this competitive approach.