PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Peter King on Chiefs (on Boston Radio)

Amnorix
04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Peter King is on Boston idiot talk radio now and one of the first things discussed was the Chiefs' draft. I don't know if any/all of this is old news, but...:

They like Jamaal Charles quite alot. Said many thought he was a top 40 player in the draft.

Said the Chiefs felt they needed "12 new starters".

"they obviously had a very good weekend."

Said he asked Peterson last week how much of a factor the 2 strikes in the substance abuse program was to resigning Allen. His answer, which he gave very carefully, was that "he had a fiduciary obligation to the ownership of the team", which King read betweent he lines to mean that he wasn't going to give one of the richest contracts ever given to a DL'man to a guy who was one strike away from a serious suspension.

CosmicPal
04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
They like Jamaal Charles quite alot. Said many thought he was a top 40 player in the draft.

I was just watching the NFL channel a few moments ago and they were raving on Jamaal Charles as well.

Direckshun
04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I really didn't like the Patriots Draft, but everybody's giving them Bs from what I read.

I guarantee if we had taken Mayo Top 10, Wheatley and O'Connell in the third, we'd get panned.

Amnorix
04-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I really didn't like the Patriots Draft, but everybody's giving them Bs from what I read.

I guarantee if we had taken Mayo Top 10, Wheatley and O'Connell in the third, we'd get panned.

Right. I love watching Kiper squirm when it comes to the Pats, because their board and Kiper's board are basically inverse from each other. EVERY pick the Pats make (in Kiper's mind) is a massive reach, but he can't say "WTF are these idiots doing?!?!" because they've proven they know WTF they're doing, so it comes out as "well, I probably wouldn't have taken [fill in name] quite this high, but he does have upside potential and blah, blah, blah".

Always amusing.

Direckshun
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Right. I love watching Kiper squirm when it comes to the Pats, because their board and Kiper's board are basically inverse from each other. EVERY pick the Pats make (in Kiper's mind) is a massive reach, but he can't say "WTF are these idiots doing?!?!" because they've proven they know WTF they're doing, so it comes out as "well, I probably wouldn't have taken [fill in name] quite this high, but he does have upside potential and blah, blah, blah".

Always amusing.
I hate that about you guys.

StcChief
04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
as long as contracts to Dorsey,Albert,Flowers are good with incentives....

we don't want a Ryan Simms type contract.

markk
04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
carl did the right thing. keeping jared allen would have been fine in theory, but when you look at the opportunity cost of 3 draft picks and -$70 million, the right choice was made

jared allen could be the guy who turns this team into a contender and not in the way anybody would have thought

Chief Faithful
04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
carl did the right thing. keeping jared allen would have been fine in theory, but when you look at the opportunity cost of 3 draft picks and -$70 million, the right choice was made

jared allen could be the guy who turns this team into a contender and not in the way anybody would have thought

No way they pass on Glen Dorsey so the Allen trade represents Brandon Albert. Considering the teams deep need on OL it was a good tradeoff.

markk
04-28-2008, 09:40 AM
No way they pass on Glen Dorsey so the Allen trade represents Brandon Albert. Considering the teams deep need on OL it was a good tradeoff.

they might have still taken dorsey, but you can't tell me they would have spent the 2nd on a corner if they didn't have a single lineman yet. i think they would have still got dorsey, but starting with the 2nd round pick on down everything is different.

Amnorix
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
I hate that about you guys.

Well, not to be a jerk, but it wasn't exactly always this way. You hit on a Brady in the 6th, Samuel in the 4th, Mankins in the 1st, Graham higher in the 1st than many expected, Deoin Branch in the 2nd, David Givens on the 7th, etc. and you will get alot of hemming and hawing before they criticize you too.

DT Fan
04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
My guess is that without the Allen trade, the take the Saints deal (first and second round this year, first round next year) so that they get Albert at 10, maybe Mike Jenkins at 17 or (God forbid) Merling at 17.

Knowing how highly they rated Charles, they might have taken him with their second pick or they might have gone receiver.

So let's say, for arguments sake, that if we keep Allen we'd have drafted:

Albert, Mike Jenkins, and a WR like Hardy, Sweed or even Jordy Nelson, plus had the Saints 2nd round pick this year and a their first round pick next year.

So with Allen we're probably looking at 1 year of Jared Allen, plus Albert, Jenkins, James Hardy, Charles, and Cottam (and a first rounder next year).

Without Allen, we're looking at Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Cottam and DuJuan Morgan.

Which is the better scenario?

StcChief
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Losing JA was the right thing to do at this time for Chiefs, had our past drafts been good we wouldn't be in the situation now.

I like the upside of this draft alot.

markk
04-28-2008, 10:04 AM
My guess is that without the Allen trade, the take the Saints deal (first and second round this year, first round next year)

that was not the trade. it was reported on NFLN but has been refuted in every other media outlet since then as well as by carl and kucarick or however you spell his name

Dave Lane
04-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Every draft every fan in America is happy we got "fill in the blank" Lets just hope they pan out as well as they look on paper. I remember thinking Sims was a great pick based on what was said at the time and thinking Larry Johnson was a horrible pick.

Personally I think Kuharick has made the biggest difference in the draft room. He is I think the balance between Carl and the coach and has added some professionalism to the process.

Dave

DT Fan
04-28-2008, 10:09 AM
that was not the trade. it was reported on NFLN but has been refuted in every other media outlet since then as well as by carl and kucarick or however you spell his name

OK. I'd be curious to know what the trade was.

J Diddy
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM

give that thinking up right now

Dorsey's gonna get paid ALOT

Albert is too

Flowers will be decent

The Bad Guy
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Dorsey is going to get a shitload of money guaranteed.

And you know what, the guy is nothing like Ryan Sims. Nothing. He proved himself during his entire college career, and didn't have Julius Peppers to save his ass.

Some fans need to let the **** go about comparing players to busts that haven't panned out. Dorsey is a rare player. You sound like jilted lovers.

The Bad Guy
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
My guess is that without the Allen trade, the take the Saints deal (first and second round this year, first round next year) so that they get Albert at 10, maybe Mike Jenkins at 17 or (God forbid) Merling at 17.

Knowing how highly they rated Charles, they might have taken him with their second pick or they might have gone receiver.

So let's say, for arguments sake, that if we keep Allen we'd have drafted:

Albert, Mike Jenkins, and a WR like Hardy, Sweed or even Jordy Nelson, plus had the Saints 2nd round pick this year and a their first round pick next year.

So with Allen we're probably looking at 1 year of Jared Allen, plus Albert, Jenkins, James Hardy, Charles, and Cottam (and a first rounder next year).

Without Allen, we're looking at Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Cottam and DuJuan Morgan.

Which is the better scenario?

Any equation that eliminates having Glenn Dorsey is the wrong scenario.

xbarretx
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

:clap:

KevB
04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
OK. I'd be curious to know what the trade was.

1st and 7th this year and 1st next year.

ZootedGranny
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM

CupidStunt
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Dorsey is the type of guy that'll sign a $45 million deal with $20 million guaranteed and then say, "Now I need to earn this." And then he'll step on the football field, give 100 percent every snap and dominate in the NFL. That's why we drafted him.

Oh, and Charles could be the steal of the draft.

Mr. Plow
04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
EAST COAST BIAS I TELL YOU!!!!

Coach
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Not sure if you answered my question earlier, or that I may have missed it, but did you go to the Music Hall for the Draft this year?

HypnotizedMonkey
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
goodbye Jared.... hello 2010!

blueballs
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Dorsey is going to get a shitload of money guaranteed.

And you know what, the guy is nothing like Ryan Sims. Nothing. He proved himself during his entire college career, and didn't have Julius Peppers to save his ass.
Some fans need to let the **** go about comparing players to busts that haven't panned out. Dorsey is a rare player. You sound like jilted lovers.

Does this mean Dorsey will make Tank look good
and we can trade him in a couple years

R&GHomer
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Does this mean Dorsey will make Tank look good
and we can trade him in a couple years

:eek: LOL... now wouldn't that be some funny shit?

Frankie
04-28-2008, 11:37 AM

I love the Dorsey pick. But if that was in fact the Saints offer, we should have taken it in a heartbeat. It's just that I don't believe the Saints did offer that much.

Basileus777
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I love the Dorsey pick. But if that was in fact the Saints offer, we should have taken it in a heartbeat. It's just that I don't believe the Saints did offer that much.

It wasn't the Saints offer. Carl directly admitted so.

DT Fan
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
1st and 7th this year and 1st next year.

Thanks. That makes much more sense.

They made the right move turning it down. A 7th round pick is basically a lottery ticket -- you have to assume it's nothing, although you could get lucky. So basically two firsts for Dorsey. I'd pass, too, for the next Warren Sapp.

The Bad Guy
04-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Not sure if you answered my question earlier, or that I may have missed it, but did you go to the Music Hall for the Draft this year?

I was at the draft.

It was awesome.

The wait sucked, but it was worth it.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Word.

alanm
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks. That makes much more sense.

They made the right move turning it down. A 7th round pick is basically a lottery ticket -- you have to assume it's nothing, although you could get lucky. So basically two firsts for Dorsey. I'd pass, too, for the next Warren Sapp.
I'm hoping he's the 1st Glen Dorsey. With a little Sapp and Reggie White mixed in.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Dorsey shouldn't really scare anyone into thinking he's a bust, all you had to do was watch LSU with and without him. With him all their players looked like stars and made plays...

Without him guys like Tyson Jackson who is frankly a fat end looked like a scrub, Ali Highsmith did nothing and even guys in their secondary looked alot worse...there was a huge difference in how everyone on that team looked with and without him.

Skip Towne
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
You must watch 1,000 college games per year.

BigVE
04-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Peter King is on Boston idiot talk radio now and one of the first things discussed was the Chiefs' draft. I don't know if any/all of this is old news, but...:

Said the Chiefs felt they needed "12 new starters".

"they obviously had a very good weekend."

Said he asked Peterson last week how much of a factor the 2 strikes in the substance abuse program was to resigning Allen. His answer, which he gave very carefully, was that "he had a fiduciary obligation to the ownership of the team", which King read betweent he lines to mean that he wasn't going to give one of the richest contracts ever given to a DL'man to a guy who was one strike away from a serious suspension.

12 new starters????? From the draft???? What an idiot!!!!!!!!

NOBODY. I mean NOBODY could do that! OMG, what a freakin' idiot!

KCinNY
04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Love the Charles pick. Prototypical change of pace/3rd down guy.

I saw him rip OSU apart last year in Stillwater largely by himself.

MahiMike
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
As much as I hate King Carl, I have to hand it to him. He delivered a lot of picks to Herm on a silver platter. Now let's see what Hermy can do w/em.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
As much as I hate King Carl, I have to hand it to him. He delivered a lot of picks to Herm on a silver platter. Now let's see what Hermy can do w/em.
:spock:

The Bad Guy
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
:spock:

Shocking response from a true scholar of the game like yourself.

Coach
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I was at the draft.

It was awesome.

Sweet. I bet it's also a refreshing change on the time limit (From 15 minutes to 10 minutes) for the first round. Just made it run more smoother IMHO.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh, and Charles could be the steal of the draft.

My sleeper pick is Brian Johnston :rockon:

Rausch
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I was at the draft.

It was awesome.

Did we send another messenger to cock-block the stairway towards the end of our time this year?...:evil:

Mecca
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
My sleeper pick is Brian Johnston :rockon:

DaJuan Morgan baby....

Amnorix
04-30-2008, 06:21 AM
12 new starters????? From the draft???? What an idiot!!!!!!!!

NOBODY. I mean NOBODY could do that! OMG, what a freakin' idiot!

Who said "from the draft"?

I think what he meant is that they have below average starters at 12 positions, so they need to upgrade 12. That's not just from the draft, but a mix of draft and free agency, and not just in one year.

And EVERY team needs at least some new starters every year. Patriots probably went through their offseason assessment after going 18-1 and came up with at least 3 or 4 new starters that they need, given how old some players are.