PDA

View Full Version : Misc Coeur d 'Alene, ID?

NewChief
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
We're heading there in mid June. Anyone ever been? Suggestions on what to do? We're outdoorsy, but we also have two kids (3 yrs and 9 months old), so we're limited in the lengths of hikes and such. We'll also be driving down to visit one of my good buddies in Grangeville.

Friendo
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I know they've got an A&W Root-beer restaurant there that's pretty good:D

Short Leash Hootie
04-28-2008, 12:17 PM
whatever NewRam

NewChief
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
whatever NewRam

Yeah. I don't think I'm going to change my name to anything team affiliated this time.

Monty
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Nice area, but haven't been there in years. I have relatives there and used to go up there in the summers as a kid, but really can't help much now as I'm unfamiliar with anything lately. My cousin stills sends us some smoked salmon every year which just rocks, but that's all I have. Nevertheless, you'll love the area. :)

Hydrae
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
My folks eloped from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene back in 1959. Sorry, don't really know much else beyond that. :)

TrebMaxx
04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I used to live in Spokane WA, which just a rocks throw away from Coeur d'Alene (http://www.coeurdalene.org/index.asp?PageId=343). This was a few years ago, but really the main attraction is the lake itself. Mid June and the water should still be fairly brisk (cold). So, boating, fishing, hiking and swimming is available. There is also a amusement park called Silverwood. Golfing is good there too.

You could always go to Spokane too where you can take you kids to Riverfront Park (http://www.spokaneriverfrontpark.com/). This is were the the 1976 Worlds fair was held and there are a few cool things for the kids there.

morphius
04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah. I don't think I'm going to change my name to anything team affiliated this time.
GreenBiL Platypus would seem about right, cause if you were to throw a Chief Redskin, a Ram and a Dolphin together its gonna be something like a platypus.

NewChief
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
GreenBiL Platypus would seem about right, cause if you were to throw a Chief Redskin, a Ram and a Dolphin together its gonna be something like a platypus.

Heh. Nice. :clap:

My dilemma is that I hate name changes that are so drastic that you don't even know who the poster was prior to the name change. As such, I want to preserve my name enough that people will be able to easily say, "Oh yeah. That's NewChief/NewPhin/Whatever"

Maybe: NewMan

I'm my own man, out from under the shadow of my BiL ;)

DaFace
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Heh. Nice. :clap:

My dilemma is that I hate name changes that are so drastic that you don't even know who the poster was prior to the name change. As such, I want to preserve my name enough that people will be able to easily say, "Oh yeah. That's NewChief/NewPhin/Whatever"

Maybe: NewMan

I'm my own man, out from under the shadow of my BiL ;)

You could always just go back to NewChief. We'll understand if you root against us during St Louis games. :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Phenomenal golf course there.

kstater
04-28-2008, 03:00 PM

How about NewConcussion, you'd never have to change your name again.

Bwana
04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Nice place! The last time I was there I got a guide from an outfit called Fins and Feathers and did some pike fishing out on the lake. You should have a good time over there.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
You and the missus are going to fall in love with Coeur d 'Alene. It is an absolute paradise for the outdoor type. Beautiful little town, and the lake is gorgeous. You will find plenty to do. Enjoy it!

ChiefaRoo
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
There's a nice lake there but why in the heck do you want to go there? Spokane sucks and there are white separtist (skinhead) compounds up in the mountains there.

Go to Seattle and have some real fun.

NewChief
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
There's a nice lake there but why in the heck do you want to go there? Spokane sucks and there are white separtist (skinhead) compounds up in the mountains there.

Go to Seattle and have some real fun.

Brother in law is doing an Ironman for his 40th birthday there, so we're going to cheer him on. We're also parlaying it into a trip to visit one of our best friends in Grangeville, ID. The only issue I'm having is that I'm going to Idaho when the steelhead aren't running and there's no bird hunting.

ChiefaRoo
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Brother in law is doing an Ironman for his 40th birthday there, so we're going to cheer him on. We're also parlaying it into a trip to visit one of our best friends in Grangeville, ID. The only issue I'm having is that I'm going to Idaho when the steelhead aren't running and there's no bird hunting.

Cool. Watch out for guys with shaved heads. Idaho is beautful in spots. You can always fish for trout.

NewChief
04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Cool. Watch out for guys with shaved heads. Idaho is beautful in spots. You can always fish for trout.

Unfortunately, my friend tells me that they'll be in the middle of runoff, and the rivers will probably be too high for much spectacular fishing. I'll definitely hit the lakes, though.

Boise_Chief
04-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Well you are too late for turkey steelhead and salmon and too early for upland game deer and elk. You could do what we do, we hunt people from Arkansas.

Really though enjoy the weather go golfing take a trip out on the lake on the tour boat if it's running. I went to High school 28 miles from Grangeville so I know that there isn't much to do there at that time. What date are you going to be up there, I'll be up there June 28th ish.

NewChief
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Well you are too late for turkey steelhead and salmon and too early for upland game deer and elk. You could do what we do, we hunt people from Arkansas.

Really though enjoy the weather go golfing take a trip out on the lake on the tour boat if it's running. I went to High school 28 miles from Grangeville so I know that there isn't much to do there at that time. What date are you going to be up there, I'll be up there June 28th ish.

It's like June 18th through the 25th. I'm pretty sick about the timing. My buddy met his wife while kayaking in Central America and moved out there because her family has a whitewater guide service out there. He's been making me jealous with stories of his escapades out there ever since. In fact, I just got off the phone with him, and he just went over to WA and bagged a nice turkey on a spectacular turkey hunt. Anyway, I've been trying to get out there for years, and when we finally go, the timing absolutely sucks. Oh well, next time I go, it will be for adventure and I'll leave the kids at home.

Frosty
04-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Beautiful little town

CDA is one eternal traffic jam. I avoid it as much as possible.

Newphin, one of the posters here, 38yrsfan, lives just north of CDA. You might PM him.

Bill Lundberg
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Weird, we were going to take a family vacation there the last week in June. It turns out there is some big triathlon that week and there are no accommodations. Instead, we are going to the Sun River Resort near Bend, Oregon.

Frosty
04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
If you like to bike, there are a lot of great choices nearby. In Idaho, there is the Trail of the Couer d'Alenes and the Route of the Hiawatha, as well as part of the Centennial Trail.

http://friendsofcdatrails.org/

For mountain biking, nearby in the Spokane area, there is Mt. Spokane, Riverside Park and the Kettle Crest.