PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto "House of Horror" Children Never Saw Daylight

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Wow.....One of the strangest stories i have ever read....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/04/28/austria.cellar/index.html

AMSTETTEN, Austria (CNN) -- Three children freed from a cellar in which their mother had been imprisoned and raped by her own father for 24 years had never seen daylight, police in Austria have confirmed.

A hidden, narrow bedroom found in the cellar of the house where Josef Fritzl held his daughter captive.

1 of 3more photos Police spokesman Franz Polzer told CNN that 73-year-old Josef Fritzl admitted holding his daughter, Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, hostage in the windowless cell and fathering seven children by her.

"The mother had memories [of the outside world] and got used to the situation," Polzer told a press conference Monday afternoon. "The others knew nothing else."

The main question reverberating from the small Austrian town: How could a man keep his daughter locked in his basement for 24 years, where she gave birth to seven of his children while her mother and three of those children lived upstairs without an inkling of the horrors in the cellar?

Fritzl explained Elisabeth's disappearance by saying she had run away from home, a story backed up by letters he forced Elisabeth to write, including one that begged her parents not to look for her.

Other letters made it seem the missing daughter had left the three children on the parents' doorstep -- when in fact they had been born in captivity in the family's basement.

Elisabeth told police that she and her three children Kerstin, 19; Stefan, 18; and Felix, 5, did not see the light of day during their entire time in captivity underneath the building in Amstetten, a rural town about 150 km (93 miles) west of Vienna.

Elisabeth is described as "very disturbed" and having trouble talking to police about her ordeal, reports CNN correspondent Fred Pleitgen. She went missing in 1984, when she was 18 years old, police have said.

More details also emerged at the news conference about the basement dungeon in which the daughter and her children were kept -- and how her father managed to keep them captive for more than two decades. See inside the cellar prison

The authorities have revealed that the prison, constructed in the basement of the 1960s building, ran underneath both the building itself and the garden outside.

The entrance was via a small door, hidden behind cupboards in the basement, controlled by an electronic keyless-entry system. Polzer said that the prison was hard to find, even if someone was looking for it, and had been soundproofed.

"Even though they shouted and called they were not in a position to let anyone hear them," Polzer told the press conference.

Polzer said that Fritzl made clear to his wife and other children that the area was out of bounds and they were not to go into the basement. He bought food and took it to his captives in the evening. Watch a report on details of the case

Detectives made the grim discovery about the cellar earlier this month after Kerstin was hospitalized in Amstetten after falling unconscious and taken to a hospital in Amstetten by her grandfather with a SOS note from her mother hidden on her.

A DNA test was later carried out which revealed her grandfather, Josef Fritzl, was also her father, according to ORF, Austria's state-run news agency.

That sparked a police investigation, which revealed that Fritzl fathered at least six children with his daughter, forcing her and three of the surviving children to live in the cellar of his house, according to ORF's Peter Schmitzberger. Watch police describe the captives' jail

On Sunday, police searched the hidden rooms where Fritzl admitted he kept his daughter and their children, including sleeping quarters, a kitchen and a bathroom, which Fritzl told police he built, Polzer said.

Amstetten police say they were put on Fritzl's trail following an anonymous tip off. They apprehended the pair on Saturday near the hospital and once police assured the daughter that she would never have contact with her father again, "she was able to tell the whole story," Schmitzberger said.

Elisabeth said her father began sexually abusing her at age 11. On August 8, 1984 -- weeks before she was reported missing -- her father enticed her into the basement, where he drugged her, put her in handcuffs and locked her in a room, she told police.

For the next 24 years, she was constantly raped by her father, resulting in the six surviving children, she said, according to the police statement.

She also told police she gave birth to twins in 1996, but one of the babies died a few days later as a result of neglect, and Fritzl removed the infant's body and burned it in an oven.

She told police that only her father supplied her and her children with food and clothing, and that she did not think his wife knew anything about their situation

Fritzl lived upstairs with his wife, Rosemarie, who police said had no idea about her husband's other family living in the cellar. The couple adopted three of the children that Fritzl had with his daughter, according to police. He told his wife that his missing daughter had dropped the unwanted children off at the house because she could not take care of them, police said.

When Kerstin fell ill, Fritzl apparently told his wife and the hospital that his "missing" daughter had dropped off the sick girl on his doorstep.

In an effort to find out about Kerstin's condition, the hospital and police asked the media to put out a bulletin requesting any information about the girl or her missing mother, attorney general Gerhard Sedlacek told NTV.

Sometime later, Fritzl brought Elisabeth out of the cellar, telling his wife that she had returned home with her two children after a 24-year absence, police said.

He took Elisabeth to the hospital to talk with doctors about Kerstin's condition, and at that point, authorities became aware of her situation, Sedlacek said.

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Nazi's at their finest.

J Diddy
04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
I just threw up inside

That's horrible.

eazyb81
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
It's sad that there's absolutely nothing that shocks me anymore.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
How could his wife never know about that for 24 years??? WTF??

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
The death penalty is far to good for this guy. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him that didn't involve Marsellus' friends and a blowtorch.

kaplin42
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope they torture that bastard a lot before he dies.

Adept Havelock
04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
How could his wife never know about that for 24 years??? WTF??

I'm don't believe that for a moment. This guy should be locked in a solitary cell and forced to listen to "The Sound Of Music" for the rest of his days.

Meanwhile...Hulk Hogan is probably looking into a basement renovation.

Rain Man
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
It's sad that there's absolutely nothing that shocks me anymore.

Not even when William Bartee got that preseason interception one year?

Braincase
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
rusty nuthooks. lather, rinse, repeat.

Coach
04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Put his f**king head in a pick!

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I saw this, what a shame. ALl I know for sure is he will never get what he deserves in this world.

ChiefaRoo
04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Sick, sorry and sad. I hope that psycho gets what's coming to him.

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I saw this, what a shame. ALl I know for sure is he will never get what he deserves in this world.Yup, and it's a shame. I can't imagine what those poor kids went through.

PhillyChiefFan
04-29-2008, 12:39 PM
This is the kind of story that makes me sad for humanity.

Guy should be put alone in a room handcuffed to a chair, and then let his daughter go to work on him with a drill and a blowtorch, straight outta Hostel.

Whats horrible though, is no matter what happens to him, the daughter and kids would never be able to get those years back, let alone their sanity.

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Yup, and it's a shame. I can't imagine what those poor kids went through.

It's times like this that I think we can be much too humane.

Pestilence
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/artjosefgi-1.jpg

badgirl
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
It would be nice that when he does go to prison he never sees daylight and is in solitary confinement, but wait that may take all the fun the other prisoners will have with him. Strike the solitary confinement, he deserves so much worse. Hopefully he will never get his freedom back, hopefull he will die locked up and tortured by inmates every day.:cuss:

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
SO what do the kids call him?? Daddy or Grandpa??

Pestilence
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
SO what do the kids call him?? Daddy or Grandpa??

My guess would be....."That ****ed up piece of shit"

beavis
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Has this been on the news a lot back home? It's all people are talking about over here.

badgirl
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Has this been on the news a lot back home? It's all people are talking about over here.

I first heard about it about 3 days ago on Nancy Grace.

Duck Dog
04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/artjosefgi-1.jpg

He should live his final days in a routine of torture and heal.

eazyb81
04-29-2008, 02:07 PM

I had not heard about it until it was posted on here this morning.

Joie
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM

We're forced to watch MSNBC while on break at work, so I heard about it a few days ago.

This kind of sickness is unimaginable. My father is one of my best friends. I cannot imagine anyone ever treating their daughter in the manner this man did. There is no punishment that could possibly be tough enough for this type of behavior. A father should be his daughter's strongest supporter, good friend, and provide guidance when she needs it. This girl was robbed of all of that, plus her freedom, and as an extra horror she had to endure a lifetime of sexual abuse. She and her children will never fully recover from this.

blueballs
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
The kids were probably mentally messed up
were they physically deformed
father/daughter combo can't be right

alnorth
05-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Here's a lovely development for you all. The laws in whichever hellhole crappy little country this happened in are so Liberal and lax that prosecutors are only looking at a maximum penalty of 15 years, but they are trying to figure out creative ways to push that out to 20 years.

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Here's a lovely development for you all. The laws in whichever hellhole crappy little country this happened in are so Liberal and lax that prosecutors are only looking at a maximum penalty of 15 years, but they are trying to figure out creative ways to push that out to 20 years.I doubt it matters. Someone will put this guy in a lot of pain, legal or not.

Chiefnj2
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
They probably enjoyed not having to go to school. - Bill O'Reilly

Ari Chi3fs
05-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Id better take my kids out of my cellar now. I guess it isn't right to do. Who knew?

bowener
05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Here's a lovely development for you all. The laws in whichever hellhole crappy little country this happened in are so Liberal and lax that prosecutors are only looking at a maximum penalty of 15 years, but they are trying to figure out creative ways to push that out to 20 years.

For some reason I doubt Austria is a liberal haven. 'Liberal' laws usually support or overly support the rights of individuals, meaning this guy would be getting life if it was soo liberal. I am guessing there are few laws for this over there since this is not something you can imagine when creating laws, but in turn will be what sets a precedent for future laws, that, depending on how their system is set up, could work retroactively which would cause this man to be in jail for a very long time.

I am not a supporter of the death penalty, and in this case I for sure am not. i think they should do everything they can to allow him to live far longer than he should, all the while living in a blacked out concrete hole in a prison somewhere. I want this guy to live at least 24 years in a prison cell, so I hope they spare no expense medically.

In the US, each child would bring charges of neglect and imprisonment, as well as it being illegal to father children with your daughter in the US. It is quite possible that there are no incest laws there. The 15 years if probably the max for kidnapping and raping his daughter.

Fritzl was placed in pretrial detention and faces up to 15 years in prison if charged, tried and convicted on rape charges, the most grave of his alleged offenses under Austrian law.

I am as unfamiliar with Austrian law as anyone else here, but perhaps they will seek the 'most grave' first, then the rest to follow after that since you will be sure he is imprisoned. This happens in the US with multiple murders. Sometimes you try them for 2, find them guilty, then while imprisoned try them for the rest.

I imagine he will get the worst treatment possible.

Edit: Though I realize Austrians arent Nazis, a fair punishment for this man would seem to be one similar to that of Rudolf Hess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Hess). By far one of the most bizarre treatments of a prisoner in this century (rape and torture aside).

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
They probably enjoyed not having to go to school. - Bill O'ReillyHe's entitled to raise his family as he sees fit and according to his religion - Bill O'Reilly et al.

xbarretx
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
The death penalty is far to good for this guy. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him that didn't involve Marsellus' friends and a blowtorch.

and the plyers or pliers.. SP???

Molitoth
05-01-2008, 01:07 PM
*puke