PDA

View Full Version : News anyone ever tried this shiat?

Friendo
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
always brings to mind the (for me) cult classic "From Hell"....here ya go Nzoner--the recreation you were looking for?

Back to Story - Help
Absinthe's Mind-Altering Mystery Solved Charles Q. Choi
Special to LiveScience
LiveScience.com
2 hours, 6 minutes ago

An analysis of century-old bottles of absinthe - the kind once quaffed by the likes of van Gogh and Picasso to enhance their creativity - may end the controversy over what ingredient caused the green liqueur's supposed mind-altering effects .

The culprit seems plain and simple: The century-old absinthe contained about 70 percent alcohol, giving it a 140-proof kick. In comparison, most gins, vodkas and whiskeys are just 80- to 100-proof.

In recent years, the psychedelic nature of absinthe has been hotly debated. Absinthe was notorious among 19th-century and early 20th-century bohemian artists as "the Green Fairy" that expanded the mind. After it became infamous for madness and toxic side effects among drinkers, it was widely banned.

The modern scientific consensus is that absinthe's reputation could simply be traced back to alcoholism, or perhaps toxic compounds that leaked in during faulty distillation. Still, others have pointed at a chemical named thujone in wormwood, one of the herbs used to prepare absinthe and the one that gives the drink its green color. Thujone was blamed for "absinthe madness" and "absinthism," a collection of symptoms including hallucinations, facial tics, numbness and dementia.

Prior studies suggested that absinthe had only trace levels of thujone. But critics claimed that absinthe made before it got banned in France in 1915 had much higher levels of thujone than modern absinthe produced since 1988, when the European Union lifted the ban on making absinthe.

"Today it seems a substantial minority of consumers want these myths to be true, even if there is no empirical evidence that they are," said researcher Dirk Lachenmeier, a chemist with the Chemical and Veterinary Investigation Laboratory of Karlsruhe in Germany.

Lachenmeier and his colleagues analyzed 13 samples of absinthe from old, sealed bottles in France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and the United States dated back to the early 1900s before the ban. After uncorking the bottles, they found relatively small concentrations of thujone in that absinthe, about the same as those in modern varieties.

Laboratory tests found no other compound that could explain absinthe's effects. "All things considered, nothing besides ethanol was found in the absinthes that was able to explain the syndrome of absinthism," Lachenmeier said. (Ethanol is a word for common drinking alcohol.)

The scientists are set to detail their findings in the May 14 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

History's Most Overlooked Mysteries Myths and Legends: Why They Persist Top 10 Unexplained Phenomena Original Story: Absinthe's Mind-Altering Mystery Solved

Visit LiveScience.com for more daily news, views and scientific inquiry with an original, provocative point of view. LiveScience reports amazing, real world breakthroughs, made simple and stimulating for people on the go. Check out our collection of Science, Animal and Dinosaur Pictures, Science Videos, Hot Topics, Trivia, Top 10s, Voting, Amazing Images, Reader Favorites, and more. Get cool gadgets at the new LiveScience Store, sign up for our free daily email newsletter and check out our RSS feeds today!

Copyright 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

siberian khatru
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.google.com/search?ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Achiefsplanet.com%2FBB+absinthe&btnG=Search

beach tribe
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I tried it. Got drunk. Was dissapointed.

Dicky McElephant
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM

I had the same experience.

Plus the stuff is the worst tasting alcohol I've ever had.

xbarretx
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
isnt it like uzo(?) or licorice?

MIAdragon
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
isnt it like uzo(?) or licorice?

THAT shit is N A S T Y.

el borracho
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM

yep. I kept thinking I was going to see monkeys or something... but I just got drunk. No extraordinary visions.

banyon
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I had it in Prague.

The French/Spanish way is to pour it through a sugar cube sitting on a slotted spoon and drink it. The Czech way is to get a teaspoon with sugar in it, pour the absinthe around it, light it on fire, then throw the carmelized residue into a shot glass which also has absinthe in it and bombs away. I definitely recommend the latter.

Had a little difficulty with street signs and directions that evening, but it was just like a different kind of drunk (like a champagne drunk is different than a whiskey drunk, etc.)

el borracho
04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Ouzo is gross, but I do like Pernod sometimes.

Dartgod
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Who was the guy from Florida (Florida Chief?) who used to be pretty cool and he drank that shit from time to time? He ended up going batshit crazy here and hasn't been around in a long time.

chasedude
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Hmmm always thought if I'd drink some Absinthe that I would have an illusion that the Chief's won the SB. Now I hear it doesn't give the hallucinogenic effect I want? Still waiting.... :grr:

Simply Red
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
yes, I've had it. It actually ate through a paper cup I was sampling out of.

never a good sign.

Simply Red
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Who was the guy from Florida (Florida Chief?) who used to be pretty cool and he drank that shit from time to time? He ended up going batshit crazy here and hasn't been around in a long time.

ORLY?

stlchiefs
04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I had it in Spain, there was nothing crazy from my experience just a normal drunk night. It tasted like Jager. Another guy I drank the bottle with had a crazy night, he was in a club hiding in the corners, jumping out and trying to scare people. I don't know if this can be contributed to the Absinthe though as he had a flair for the dramatic at times.

Nzoner
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
always brings to mind the (for me) cult classic "From Hell"....here ya go Nzoner--the recreation you were looking for?

There was another movie that had that in it as well but I'll be damned if I can think of it,as I recall it starred Tim Roth,I'll check out IMDb

Dicky McElephant
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I had it in Spain, there was nothing crazy from my experience just a normal drunk night. It tasted like Jager. Another guy I drank the bottle with had a crazy night, he was in a club hiding in the corners, jumping out and trying to scare people. I don't know if this can be contributed to the Jager though as he had a flair for the dramatic at times.

It tastes like Jager....only way worse.

Nzoner
04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
There was another movie that had that in it as well but I'll be damned if I can think of it,as I recall it starred Tim Roth,I'll check out IMDb

Ah yes, Deceiver (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119527/) one helluva cast in a very good movie.