PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Clark Hunt: I expect to compete for a playoff spot in 2008.

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
By Doug Tucker,

AP Sports Writer####KANSAS CITY, Mo.

In his first public comments since the Kansas City Chiefs lost their last nine games and finished 4-12, owner Clark Hunt seemed to be putting his embattled front office on notice.

"The 2008 season is going to be a very important year for our football team," Hunt said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press. "I expect us to at least compete for a playoff spot."

At the same time, Hunt conceded that third-year coach Herm Edwards faces a major retooling of a team that finished near the bottom in many offensive statistics while struggling through a losing streak that set a record for the franchise his father founded more than 40 years ago.

"I'm realistic and patient to some degree. But I also know that in the NFL you can quickly turn things around," he said. "I think you can look at a franchise like Green Bay who three years ago was in the same spot we're in. They were 4-12."

Sitting in the large, tastefully appointed office in Arrowhead Stadium that his father had long occupied, Hunt discussed his plans while drinking sweet-smelling imported coffee out of a plastic foam cup.

"I'm not saying this football team's got to win 10 or 11 games next year. But I expect us to be competitive for a playoff spot," he said. "Certainly, if we're 4-12 again that would be a failure, or anywhere close to 4-12. It's not unrealistic for us to have a team that's in the mix fighting for a playoff spot late in the year next year."

The 43-year-old Hunt became the youngest owner in the NFL when Lamar Hunt died 14 months ago and willed most of his vast estate to his four children. Clark Hunt also has been one of the least visible and least involved owners, until now devoting most of his time to the family's other interests.

But signaling an increased presence, Hunt spent Thursday meeting individually with various print and electronic reporters who regularly cover the Chiefs. Since granting an interview to the AP last summer, he had spoken with the media only in passing.

"The Chiefs are going to receive the majority of my time," Hunt said. "That's been a big shift over the last 18 months. It's been an outgrowth of my father's passing away and me getting very involved with the Arrowhead Stadium renovation.

"Now I'm tuned into it closely," he said. "The Chiefs are by far my No. 1 priority."

Hunt disappointed a great many fans last month when he decided to retain Carl Peterson, the president and general manager since 1989. Against a backdrop of dwindling attendance and declining local television ratings of Chiefs games, fans had become increasingly displeased with a CEO whose team has not won a playoff game since the 1993 season.

The criticism reached a crescendo in Herm Edwards' second season, when the team finished with its worst record in 30 years.

"First of all, I share their disappointment," Hunt said. "Our performance this year was not satisfactory in any regard."

He said an evaluation of the football operation convinced him that Peterson had made the right adjustments two years ago when he hired Edwards to replace the retired Dick Vermeil and promoted Bill Kuharich to vice president of player personnel.

"Carl obviously has a very good long-term record. He's shown that he can turn a bad football team into a good football team in several different places, including here. At the end of the day, I concluded that continuity in our front office really gave Herm and the football team the best chance of being successful in 2008."

He seemed to lay most of the problems the Chiefs are now encountering at Vermeil's door.

"The earlier part of this decade, we built the team primarily with veteran players through free agency. That was the type of player Coach Vermeil liked," he said.

"But fast forward to 2007, those (young) players who would now be in the prime we don't have on the roster. I think to Carl's credit, he recognized that when Coach Vermeil left we needed to make a change in the evaluation process and how we were drafting players. I've had a chance to watch Bill and Herm work together the last two years and I think they've done a very good job drafting players and I expect them to do well again in 2008."

Hunt said he expected the Chiefs to rebuild primarily through the draft and not sign any veteran free agents who would not spend their prime years in Kansas City.

But he's also expecting immediate results.

"We've got to rebound from the year we just had. I'm going to look for two or three different things," he said.

"First of all, the win-loss record. I understand that we're in a rebuilding phase and it's difficult to go from 4-12 to 12-4. But we should at least be able to compete for a playoff spot.

"I also expect that we will be greatly improved on the offensive side of the ball.

"Third, as the season goes along I'd like to see us playing better than we did at the beginning of the season. We're going to have a young football team, a young quarterback and a new coordinator. You would expect over the course of the year they'd get better. You can contrast that to 2007 where we probably played worse as the season went along. I expect to see the opposite next year." <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1169800-->

oaklandhater
04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH He wants us to compete for a playoff spot when most mocks for next year have us picking in the top 3 we will be lucky if we go 4-12.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
ROFL

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't have a problem with high expectations so long as we don't go out and sign free agent veterans to achieve mediocrity. If we're playing the young guys, play them to win in order to establish a winning attitude and culture. Hunt probably realizes that competing for a playoff spot is a stretch, but you have to go into the season expecting to compete.

Hopefully Hunt will make people accountable as he is implying he will do.

Pestilence
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I just want to see improvement in the players next year. I'm not expecting a 7 to 9 win season. I'll be happy with 6 wins as long as there is improvement across the team.

TinyEvel
I love how he compares us to Green Bay of a few years ago. :shake:

oaklandhater
Hunt reminds me of alot of cheifs fan Way to over optimistic and spreading false hope.

KCChiefsMan
well if these 2 lineman turn out to have a great rookie year, it's possible I guess. If the o-line jells our offense would be 10x better. I don't have high expectations this year though.

Spott
04-29-2008, 05:02 PM

We're more like the Green Bay in the 80's.

oaklandhater
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
well if these 2 lineman turn out to have a great rookie year, it's possible I guess. If the o-line jells our offense would be 10x better. I don't have high expectations this year though.

Hell has more of a chance of freezeing over then us makeing the playoffs in 08 with a inexperience o-line/d-line.

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Hell has more of a chance of freezeing over then us makeing the playoffs in 08 with a inexperience o-line/d-line.

ya, I know it's not gonna happen. If we were in the NFC it might though, but of course nobody thought the Browns would make a run last year either. I think the addition of Joe Thomas made all the difference for them last year.

Smed1065
04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Repost!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178902

I feel that Clark had to say something in his first input after 9 losses in a row.

:evil:

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I didn't realize this was an old article. I guess thats what happens when a link isn't posted.

BigRedChief
Repost!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178902

I feel that Clark had to say something in his first input after 9 losses in a row.

:evil:
Sorry first time that I've seen it. Compete for a playoff spot?ROFL

Smed1065
I wish the search function worked.

Hey DaFace,

Do you know the search function is down???

Can You check into it?

:D

Mecca
04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
He said that after the season to placate the impatient win now fans...it's pretty obvious most of that was just lip service.

dallaschiefsfan
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Throwing Vermeil under the bus is getting old. This was a great draft...and I celebrate it...but I seriously doubt Herm has the coaching chops to take any team to the Superbowl. I'm becoming more convinced he should become a GM. I have to admit that he seems to have a knack for scouting talent. His game day coaching is just terrible IMO.

Smed1065
04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry first time that I've seen it. Compete for a playoff spot?ROFL

I know but could not pass up the chance. I still blame you for Indy.

LOL

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
:bong:

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I know but could not pass up the chance.
Jeeezz that orginal thread only had 3 replies? Even though its just lip service it seems to me the owner saying I expect to compete for a playoff spot is a big deal.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Well, thats pretty much the model. But also notice how well the Packers QB played last year??

Good QB play will dramatically improve your win total. Imagine that???

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I know but could not pass up the chance. I still blame you for Indy.

LOL
It's onthewarpath58's fault. He's the one that made the 64 oz jaggerbombs.:BLVD:

BigRock
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Jeeezz that orginal thread only had 3 replies? Even though its just lip service it seems to me the owner saying I expect to compete for a playoff spot is a big deal.
That's one thread. There were probably 10 others.

beach tribe
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
That's some funny shit.

I don't blame him one bit for that BS. Had to do it.

Smed1065
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM

IIRC, there was an original thread but could not find it with about 120 replies. I think that is why many stated Herm was gone after next year. I also tried to erase last year at the end...

kcfanintitanhell
04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
All in all, what's he supposed to say? I'm not sure the draftees would get a lot of post-draft momentum if he said, "and next year's draft, after we suck this coming season, we should be able to draft high enough to put us well on the way to be able to compete for a playoff spot."

Dave Lane
04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Given how easy a schedule we have I don't see why not I'd guess 7-8 wins easy. Even with last years team.

Dave

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Given how easy a schedule we have I don't see why not I'd guess 7-8 wins easy. Even with last years team.

Dave

honestly, if Croyle doesnt improve, they wont improve their win total.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable for Clark to come out and publicly say "Improve, or be prepared for change." I think that if this team wins less than 6 games this year we'll see Carl being shown a new office outside of football operations all together, and Herm possibly being put into the front office. Then......wait for it........Chan Gailey becomes the head coach. It is about continuity after all.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
IF anyone one can do it, Herm can...

His track record speaks for itself.

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:27 PM
honestly, if Croyle's protection doesnt improve, they wont improve their win total.

FYP

Mecca
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM

Dave

Of course those other teams are looking at it going "we can beat the Chiefs"

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
FYP
In all fairness, Herm really doesnt have a history of strong OL play from what I have discussed with some Jet fan friends of mine...

So maybe this is the start of a soild OL for the Chiefs... Looks good so far...

BCD
04-29-2008, 06:32 PM
LMAO

Frazod
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, that's psychotically optimistic.

Hope he's right, but I sure as hell don't see it happening.

PastorMikH
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
honestly, if Croyle doesnt improve, they wont improve their win total.

There are very few QBs that could have done a lot with the hand Croyle was dealt last year... No blocking, no running game, WRs who dropped more than they caught, poor playcalling, etc.

Not saying Croyle is the man, but I also feel like last year wouldn't have been friendly to the majority of QBs.

ChiefaRoo
04-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Throwing Vermeil under the bus is getting old. This was a great draft...and I celebrate it...but I seriously doubt Herm has the coaching chops to take any team to the Superbowl. I'm becoming more convinced he should become a GM. I have to admit that he seems to have a knack for scouting talent. His game day coaching is just terrible IMO.

Another shot at Vermeil. I seem to remember that Carl flew out to PA and fellated DV until he agreed to come and coach the Chiefs. I also remember how Whitlock loved it. To be truthful I thought it was a good move at the time but in the end it was nothing but a high scoring circus act with no real shot of winning because of severe neglect of the D, terrible defensive coaching and crappy drafts.

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
In all fairness, Herm really doesnt have a history of strong OL play from what I have discussed with some Jet fan friends of mine...

So maybe this is the start of a soild OL for the Chiefs... Looks good so far...

Despite being undersized, I really do believe Croyle can make it as a #1 QB in the NFL. BUT, in order to do it, he will need OL that can actually block. Having a RB that actually attempts to block would be bonus.

I think you are right tho.... this is a start to a very solid OL for KC. I look forward to seeing how Albert handles the LT position full time and whether or not Richardson can be our starting RT from day 1.

I am ready to call McIntosh a failed experiment in KC though.

CrazyPhuD
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
So is the NFL adding it's own version of the NIT? We could probably make that if they did.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
There are very few QBs that could have done a lot with the hand Croyle was dealt last year... No blocking, no running game, WRs who dropped more than they caught, poor playcalling, etc.

Not saying Croyle is the man, but I also feel like last year wouldn't have been friendly to the majority of QBs.
Croyle should of started the season period.... Carl wouldnt let that happen regardless. He wanted Huard.

When Huard cost the Chiefs the Denver game at home, it seems the team quit on Herm. Especially after the Indy game....

We wasted a year watching Huard stink up the joint, now we are paying for it a year later, like we all knew was going to happen..

We still have an unknown at QB thanks to Carl and his quest for mediocrity...

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Croyle should of started the season period.... Carl wouldnt let that happen regardless. He wanted Huard.

When Huard cost the Chiefs the Denver game at home, it seems the team quit on Herm. Especially after the Indy game....

We wasted a year watching Huard stink up the joint, now we are paying for it a year later, like we all knew was going to happen..

We still have an unknown at QB thanks to Carl and his quest for mediocrity...

I said the exact same thing during the Vikings game last season.

I got yelled at by lesbians for it.

MTG#10
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
All I know is the rooks better play and play a LOT. If they sign one free agent over 28 years old and start him Im going to be pissed.

tmax63
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
KC will take its lumps this year. If I remember correctly quite a few games they lost last year were fairly close. I truly feel they improved the O this draft as long as most of them stay healthy. Win 2 or 3 of those close ones this year and thats 6-7 wins, maybe 8 with a little luck. Not totally unreasonable. And I would be disappointed in Clark if he came out and said he expects them to suck. I'd say Lamar left the team to the wrong person if he did.

Bugeater
04-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Competing for a playoff spot would be the worst thing for us, that means we'd have shitty draft position next year.

dallaschiefsfan
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Another shot at Vermeil. I seem to remember that Carl flew out to PA and fellated DV until he agreed to come and coach the Chiefs. I also remember how Whitlock loved it. To be truthful I thought it was a good move at the time but in the end it was nothing but a high scoring circus act with no real shot of winning because of severe neglect of the D, terrible defensive coaching and crappy drafts.

I mostly agree...but to be fair, those Defenses were made worse by the likes of Greg Robinson and his crazy scheme. That one is on Vermeil...he hired the moron. Vermeil's hiring is on Carl. If Hunt wants to throw Vermeil under the bus, then Carl needs to be held accoutnable for the hire. He knew what he was getting! What a shocker...Vermeil loves his offense.

I'm looking for some properly proportioned blame...and Carl never seems to feel the weight (read consequences) of the blame that should fall on his shoulders.

Reerun_KC
Despite being undersized, I really do believe Croyle can make it as a #1 QB in the NFL. BUT, in order to do it, he will need OL that can actually block. Having a RB that actually attempts to block would be bonus.

I think you are right tho.... this is a start to a very solid OL for KC. I look forward to seeing how Albert handles the LT position full time and whether or not Richardson can be our starting RT from day 1.

I am ready to call McIntosh a failed experiment in KC though.
Croyle has the tools, needs a OL.

I guess we will see what happens now.. Last year was a total waste. Herm wanted a youth movement, Carl wanted his covetted 7-9/9-7...

pr_capone
Competing for a playoff spot would be the worst thing for us, that means we'd have shitty draft position next year.

While true... thankfully Clark can't will this team into a 9-7 record. :D

I see us in the 3-13 to 5-11 range this season. 6-10 if some of the 3rds and below turn out to be monsters.

Reerun_KC
I said the exact same thing during the Vikings game last season.

I got yelled at by lesbians for it.
Lesbians?

WOW, where were you watching the game?

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Lesbians?

WOW, where were you watching the game?

this kind of lesbian:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/VictorySquat/bulldyke.jpg

not this kind:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5393/kiss6xc.jpg

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Apparently she was a poster here because I made a thread about it and she took a shot at me cuz I'm a little hefty. :D

alnorth
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Clark Hunt: I expect to compete for a playoff spot in 2008.

ROFL

Good luck with that Clark. I expect us to compete fiercely for that coveted #1 draft pick.

PastorMikH
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Croyle should of started the season period.... Carl wouldnt let that happen regardless. He wanted Huard....

Yep, I got blasted a number of times last year for taking that stance. Had Croyle played the whole year, we would have known whether he is the QBOTF or not. Now we have to devote another season to the same question instead of moving on.

I do like what I saw from Croyle last year. I think if he can get some protection and help from recievers and a running game he will be fine.

xbarretx
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't have a problem with high expectations so long as we don't go out and sign free agent veterans to achieve mediocrity. If we're playing the young guys, play them to win in order to establish a winning attitude and culture. Hunt probably realizes that competing for a playoff spot is a stretch, but you have to go into the season expecting to compete.

Hopefully Hunt will make people accountable as he is implying he will do.

QFT ,, BIG REP thank you Basileus!!!!!!!! :clap: truly thats the best response to this article.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Yep, I got blasted a number of times last year for taking that stance. Had Croyle played the whole year, we would have known whether he is the QBOTF or not. Now we have to devote another season to the same question instead of moving on.

I do like what I saw from Croyle last year. I think if he can get some protection and help from recievers and a running game he will be fine.

Heck you could see Carl putting his foot down during the Hard Knocks episodes... He wanted Huard period!

Huard didnt earn, beat out or win crap.. Carl handed him the job and Huard handed the city of KC and its fans a platter of dog crap.

Agree, we are going through another season with the same unanswered question about Croyle... People are such lemmings for Carl...

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
this kind of lesbian:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/VictorySquat/bulldyke.jpg

U sure those are Chiefs fans? They look more like Raider fan.

Mile High Mania
04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, do you expect him to come out and say "Yeah, we're gonna suck... it's going to be ugly, even at home. Fans, stay home - you'll get refunds and we'll see you back in 2009!"

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
U sure those are Chiefs fans? They look more like Raider fan.

Yup... I am sure.

She let me know that the team needed our support, not our jeers and heckles.

3 plays later Huard throws a bomb 15 rows up into the sideline crowd.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Well, do you expect him to come out and say "Yeah, we're gonna suck... it's going to be ugly, even at home. Fans, stay home - you'll get refunds and we'll see you back in 2009!"
No but like many have said, maybe he will finally hold Herm accountable...

PastorMikH
04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Heck you could see Carl putting his foot down during the Hard Knocks episodes... He wanted Huard period!

Huard didnt earn, beat out or win crap.. Carl handed him the job and Huard handed the city of KC and its fans a platter of dog crap.

Agree, we are going through another season with the same unanswered question about Croyle... People are such lemmings for Carl...

Yeah, but one thing I do see resulting from last season is Carl doesn't appear to be King anymore. Clark is calling more shots where Lamar used to let Carl make all the decisions. We'll see for sure during contract negotiations with the draft picks.

Less Carl is always good.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Yup... I am sure.

She let me know that the team needed our support, not our jeers and heckles.

3 plays later Huard throws a bomb 15 rows up into the sideline crowd.

15 rows up? That is being very generous dont ya think?

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
It's onthewarpath58's fault. He's the one that made the 64 oz jaggerbombs.:BLVD:

What kind of pussy would complain about a 64oz jagerbomb?

:p

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
We'll see for sure during contract negotiations with the draft picks.

Less Carl is always good.

This is could be the one that finally does Carl in. With the biggest draft in who knows how long. If Carl messes this up, I can see a public lynching....

Carl better have these kids signed and in Camp, we dont have time for him to play his bully game when we need as much time to develop these kids as possible.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM

This one!

That stuff is nasty, taste worse than Nyquil!

Braincase
04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
He wants to win, and he wants to sell tickets as well. I have no problem with an owner that is focused on success.

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
15 rows up? That is being very generous dont ya think?

Well, he did chuck it as hard as he possible could......

aturnis
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't think a competitive season is too much to ask. A lot of guys on this board like to say we'll be lucky if we win 3. I'm no homer, but we do have some odds in our favor.

The Chiefs play four teams that had winnings records last season, four. Many were just as bad as the Chiefs last season if not worse. One of those teams they play twice.

Four games they lost last year were 5pts. or less, and they beat 3 of their 4 wins last year came against teams they will face this year.

And, if for no other reason, the Chiefs should be competitive for the simple fact that they got better through subtraction. Add to that a fruitful draft, and it's a better situation that most let on.

New England Patriots 16-0
Oakland Riders 4-12
Atlanta Falcons 4-12
Denver Broncos 7-9
Carolina Panthers 7-9
Tennessee Titans 10-6
New York Jets 4-12
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9-7
New Orleans Saints 7-9
San Diego Chargers 11-5
Buffalo Bills 7-9
Miami Dolphins 1-15
Cincinnati Bengals 7-9

Above I highlighted the teams you can definitely expect to compete with...

Some in the same situation as the Chiefs, BAD. Some, the division rivals, just get the obligatory chance of at least splitting the series. It doesn't matter how bad a team is, with these rivalries, it makes no difference. Add in a few wins against better teams, and we risk a winnings season. Too bad They won't have one.

aturnis

See's no reason the Chiefs can't win 5-8 games.....

Homer.:(

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

kcfanintitanhell
04-29-2008, 07:47 PM
All I can care about is the first one-so we can say that we have a QB that has won an NFL game as a starter. And for Brodie's sake, I hope it's sooner than later, cuz that's gotta start messing with his head.

runnercyclist
04-29-2008, 07:47 PM
As a Manager of People and a motivator I truly believe in goals, stretch goals, and holding those accountable. This can happen on a losing team or a winning team.

TEX
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
IMO, this coming season shouldn't be about wins, but I agree that the Chiefs should be playing better at the end of the season. I love the idea that it appears that he's gonna be around more. There seems to be a sense of accountability now. We'll see...

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
He wants to win, and he wants to sell tickets as well. I have no problem with an owner that is focused on success.
Now if King Carl would focus on success on the football field we may have something.

cdcox
04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Rich people should not spend their money on crack.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Ehh, if we can even improve our win total to 6 next year, I'd be happy, and even if we don't, as long as there are signs of growth and we are a better team at the end of the year than we were before, I'll be pleased.

But I'll tell you this, every team who looks at us on their schedule will mark it as a W.

Rausch
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Looks like Carl won't be enjoying the government cheese anymore.

"You want a new contract?

Earn it, mother****er..."

LiL stumppy
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I will be happy with two wins. :)

Coach
04-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd be a little surprised if the Chiefs are actually going to compete for a playoff spot. This team, while still had a great draft, still has holes on the team, and has big ? marks.

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd be a little surprised if the Chiefs are actually going to compete for a playoff spot. This team, while still had a great draft, still has holes on the team, and has big ? marks.

If you're 0-3 but go 5-2 you've improved and are competing for a playoff spot.

Hell, even 6-6 or 7-7 towards the end allows you to compete. You have some injuries or bad luck, finish 7-9, and you can still walk away feeling good about the season...

cdcox
04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
We were competing for a playoff spot in November of last year. Success!

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
We were competing for a playoff spot in November of last year.

No we weren't...

Dartgod
04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Lofty goals indeed. I'm glad that he sets the playoffs as a goal in a rebuilding year, no matter how difficult it will be to achieve it.

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
No we weren't...

Well in October we were....close enough.

His point is valid though, you don't need to win more than 6 or 7 games to be in the playoff hunt until December.

cdcox
04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
No we weren't...

On November 4, we were leading the Green Bay Packers (a playoff team!) by a score of 22-16 with 3:06 remaining in the 4th quarter! That would have lifted us to 5-4! A winning record! We were competing for a playoff spot!

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:28 PM

His point is valid though, you don't need to win more than 6 or 7 games to be in the playoff hunt until December.

You have to count on 10 wins being a 50/50 shot at the playoffs now.

Competing isn't being 4-7 and trying to argue that if we can just win out...

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Lofty goals indeed. I'm glad that he sets the playoffs as a goal in a rebuilding year, no matter how difficult it will be to achieve it.

Exactly.

The goal isn't to add talent, the goal is to add enough young talent to win games and compete.

Guru
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Late arrival here but ROFL at Mr. Hunt. We won't be competing for a playoff spot at 3-13. Sorry.

Fruit Ninja
04-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Wtf is Hunt supposed to say. Keep sucking? He just wants his organization to be on the upside not stay down. Every team should go into the season thinking they can compete for a play off spot.

alnorth
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Wtf is Hunt supposed to say. Keep sucking? He just wants his organization to be on the upside not stay down. Every team should go into the season thinking they can compete for a play off spot.

Yeah I can laugh privately, but if I was in his shoes, I'd have to say the same thing. What else is he gonna say?

"Sorry folks, this year we are probably going to suck really bad, and maybe even struggle to avoid blackouts. We are hopeful that we can maybe do something exciting in a couple years, but in the meantime, would you please come to our fine stadium to cheer our team on to... do the best they can?"

PGM
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
how many owners have gone on record saying thier team is gonna suck next year...cmon what do you expect him to say?

Smed1065
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Are true fans this late?

He said this 4 months ago?

Like he Had a choice?

Fair WHEATHER FANS LEAVE NOW !

OR SEASON TICKET HOLDER DUMBAZZES...............

keg in kc
04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
If you're 0-3 but go 5-2 you've improved and are competing for a playoff spot.

Hell, even 6-6 or 7-7 towards the end allows you to compete. You have some injuries or bad luck, finish 7-9, and you can still walk away feeling good about the season...'zactly.

I think the record we finished with last year was less than the sum of the parts on the roster, for a variety of reasons, and I think the team that starts 2008 will be more talented than that one. They should be competitive. They may not win more than 6 or 7, they're very young and will show it at times, but as long as they finish better than they start...

What I really want to see is wins late in the season. Teams about to turnaround tend to get hot in December.

Guru
04-29-2008, 11:13 PM

I want him to say that NO JOB IS SAFE if we don't compete for a playoff spot.

KCJohnny
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
'zactly.

I think the record we finished with last year was less than the sum of the parts on the roster, for a variety of reasons, and I think the team that starts 2008 will be more talented than that one. They should be competitive. They may not win more than 6 or 7, they're very young and will show it at times, but as long as they finish better than they start...

What I really want to see is wins late in the season. Teams about to turnaround tend to get hot in December.

The 2008 Chiefs can only improve after we lose 44-3 on opening day at NE.

BigRedChief
04-29-2008, 11:35 PM

His point is valid though, you don't need to win more than 6 or 7 games to be in the playoff hunt until December.We should know. We invented the middle of the pack mentality.

Fruit Ninja
04-30-2008, 03:14 AM
I want him to say that NO JOB IS SAFE if we don't compete for a playoff spot.

I think he implied that. If the Chiefs suck just as bad as last year, then he is going to have to do something. He's not going to stand for the stadium to be half full. He's a young owner now. I doubt he's just going to roll over. God Bless Lamar, but he wasnt involved enough with the Chiefs.

Guru
04-30-2008, 03:16 AM
I think he implied that. If the Chiefs suck just as bad as last year, then he is going to have to do something. He's not going to stand for the stadium to be half full. He's a young owner now. I doubt he's just going to roll over. God Bless Lamar, but he wasnt involved enough with the Chiefs.

Yeah, he did imply it but I just hope to God he will ACT on it if the worst happens.:cuss:

Reerun_KC
04-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Lets hope! Lets just hope!

but that doesnt bode well for memebers of the management and coaching staff.. I hope he is patient enough to give them time and not be a knee jerk owner like Snyder of Washington is.

But after 3-4 years, if they are not getting it done, then they need to be gone.

I feel Carl and Herm have this and next year to get deep into the playoffs or they need to be bounced. They should of started this 2 years ago, instead of dicking around with Carls "best chance to win now" BS.... They have offically wasted 2 years. They should be held accountable for those two years and not given and extention after 4, if they havent reached the AFC championship game in the next two years...

Bwana
04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
It would be nice, but it's not going to happen this year. Next year, meh, perhaps. Now the year after that, they damn well better be in the playoffs and have a very strong team after the rebuilding process has been going on for three years. That will be what, year 24 of Carls 5 year plan?

boogblaster
04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Time tells all ... Hopefully he's right ....

DTLB58
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
The 2008 Chiefs can only improve after we lose 44-3 on opening day at NE.-

44-3? You mean we will actually have a kicker that can make a fg? :D

StcChief
This sounds great Clark, you should have got the reigns of King Carl from Lamar some years back.....

Improved overall yes, Playoff spot. We might be in a few Conference games that we aren't expected to win. And should beat Miami, Buffalo, maybe Titans, Faiders at home. @Cincy, @NYJ? @Atl ?

If all those come true.... 7-9. flip an NFC W (Tampa) with AFC L?

Best scenerio 8-8 and that's a strrech Clark.

SD/Dungver won't be 8-8 so.... WC with AFC S/AFC N teams Highly doubt it.

Ultra Peanut
Shut up, Clark.

ChiefButthurt
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
How pathetic.....this team would be happy to JUST compete for a playoff spot while other teams are shooting for a trophy. Just effin nice.

dtebbe
04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Great, as if being a Chiefs fan wasn't hard enough already... now we have an owner that's hitting the pipe. :bong:

DT

Coogs
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
How pathetic.....this team would be happy to JUST compete for a playoff spot while other teams are shooting for a trophy. Just effin nice.

There is a difference between reality and fantasy. Competing for a playoff spot this season would be huge. Much like the Browns last season. No one gave the Browns much respect last season. Heck... most of us here were trying to ship LJ off to Dallas for their 2 first round picks since one of them came from Cleveland. Nearly everyone tought that pick would be a top 3 pick in the just completed draft. If we were to follow Cleveland's lead and nearly make the playoffs this season I would have to think that would be a monumental success. To think this team can compete for a Super Bowl appearance this season would be a heck of a reach.

ChiefButthurt
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
There is a difference between reality and fantasy. Competing for a playoff spot this season would be huge. Much like the Browns last season. No one gave the Browns much respect last season. Heck... most of us here were trying to ship LJ off to Dallas for their 2 first round picks since one of them came from Cleveland. Nearly everyone tought that pick would be a top 3 pick in the just completed draft. If we were to follow Cleveland's lead and nearly make the playoffs this season I would have to think that would be a monumental success. To think this team can compete for a Super Bowl appearance this season would be a heck of a reach.

Aside from the team needing additional help on o-line, this team drafted like a team that wants to compete this year. They didn't waiver their support of Croyle and provided support to the running game. This team hardly shined last year, BUT it has the talent to win the division and compete. They would not be the first team to turn it around in one year. My expectations are higher than the owner's.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Do people realize this interview took place months ago when the season first ended?

Coogs
04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Do people realize this interview took place months ago when the season first ended?

Yeah, I did. And I think with our schedule we could possibly compete for a playoff spot this season. And I think it is right of our owner to put this out there four months ago for the public. I'm sure it was discussed in private with the staff before the article, but none the less I am gald the owner shares this info with the masses as well. It seems to already be motivating the correct people.

DT58HOF
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
IF anyone one can do it, Herm can...

His track record speaks for itself.
u mean being a lousy 52-60 as head coach?

blueballs
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Peterson
you're on the clock
no longer a sundial

ct
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Quite often there are teams that end up 6-10 who are still mathematically in the playoff hunt a couple weeks left in the season. So I don't think he's really saying much here, except finishing 4-12 w/ another 9 game losing streak to end the year is unacceptable. Patience, but Progress.