PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jamaal Charles smacks A.J. Hawk

Hawk
04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I've read a lot of negative posts on here about the selection of Charles. I know RB may not have been the Chiefs biggest need, but I'm honestly surprised that nobody seems even a little excited to have stolen Charles in the 3rd round. That was a great value pick!

Charles is truly explosive and fast. Adding that kind of playmaker to your offense is always a good thing. He can take it the distance on any play. He ran a 10.18 100M at the NCAA outdoor track championships as a true freshman, and he set a Texas record for the 60M in 6.68 at the indoor championships. Despite his somewhat mundane (for him anyway) 4.38 at the combine, he's been timed in the 4.2's in the 40 yard dash before.

And he's more than just a speed back, but if that's the only role he's given, he'll make some plays. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and he can make some tough runs. He singlehandedly won some games for Texas this year, most notably a 200 yard, 3 TD fourth quarter against Nebraska to bring Texas from behind to win.

But one of my favorite Charles plays was in his second career game as a true freshman the year Texas won the championship. It was on the road against top 5 ranked Ohio State with early national title implications, and he came up with some big receptions, bounced off tacklers for extra yards, and helped Texas win the game. But one of his biggest plays came on an interception by A.J. Hawk. Charles dove to tackle him and missed him, but still got back up and managed to get down the field and make a play on Hawk to possible save a TD. Nice play by a true freshman. Here is the youttube clip, hopefully it'll help you get excited about getting a draft steal with Charles who should have gone sooner than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEsmN4vluA

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Alot of us are excited, but too many people just see that he's a rb and complain. But you can never have too many running backs in this league, and Charles is a playmaker and the perfect complement to LJ.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Charles was an AWESOME pick for the Chiefs. I was surprised too see so many people upset by it. BPA baby. All day.

HMc
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/dh5wY9xDfVw&hl=en (http://www.youtube.com/v/dh5wY9xDfVw&hl=en"></param><param)

Hydrae
04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't follow college ball hardly at all but I live in Austin. My impression of Charles is inconsistency. Then again, he was being compared to some great college RB's here the last decade +.

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
how can people think we're set at RB?

if LJ goes down again we have Smith and ????....

we needed Charles, AND he was BPA....

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
yeah cause a RB is sooo much more important than Oline. . ask denver

Yeah, lets just take an olinemen every pick, regardless of whether or not we're reaching.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah, anyone can do it. Why don't you go sign up dawg?

Mecca
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Drafting OL is fine you just have to take guys who are actually WORTH the pick. Hell I'd be fine taking 3 OL in a row if I thought they were all good players with good upside and worth their picks....

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM

ask Denver what?

they suck just like you...

you should really post at WPI....they're your "kind"

Mecca
04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
This team was not going to get 4-5 new starting OL in 1 draft.....they got 2, they can come back next year with 2 more...

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Alot of us are excited, but too many people just see that he's a rb and complain. But you can never have too many running backs in this league, and Charles is a playmaker and the perfect compliment to LJ.

ya, they must have forgot about Jackie Battle and Gilbert Harris. I definately like the pick, 2 very viable backups to LJ is a good thing!

unothadeal
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
This team was not going to get 4-5 new starting OL in 1 draft.....they got 2, they can come back next year with 2 more...

Do you really think Barry Richardson is going to start? He was what? A 5th rounder? I honestly have no clue because I'd never heard of him before we drafted him. Why'd he fall so late?

Mecca
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Do you really think Barry Richardson is going to start? He was what? A 5th rounder? I honestly have no clue because I'd never heard of him before we drafted him. Why'd he fall so late?

I like Barry an awful lot actually, he just needs a coach to flip his switch basically. He's not overly passionate about football but he has all the natural talent you could ask for.

Rain Man
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm glad to get him. I probably wouldn't have drafted him that high myself, but I don't have a problem with it. I think he could do well.

smittysbar
04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
This was a great pick

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM

He fell because he has bad footwork, and because scouts thought he wasn't as physical as his size would suggest.

milkman
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I think it was mecca who pointed out that Charles didn't do a lot of weight work during his college years becasue of his track obligations.

This kid could put on another 10 lbs of muscle and still keep his speed.

In a couple of years, he could be the same type of back that Priest Holmes was, but faster.

He has the patience and vision already.

morphius
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I understand the pick, without a scary RB in the backfield our O is even more pathetic. I just worry about the fumbling.

Skip Towne
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Alot of us are excited, but too many people just see that he's a rb and complain. But you can never have too many running backs in this league, and Charles is a playmaker and the perfect compliment to LJ.

Complement

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
shut up . . u know nothing. . stop acting like u know everything. . have u talked to him about football??? jezus shut the **** up already .

if your mom had been just a little bit better aim when she was poking at you with a clothes hanger....

Basileus777
Complement

Hah, fixed it for you.

KcMizzou
I'm glad to get him. I probably wouldn't have drafted him that high myself, but I don't have a problem with it. I think he could do well.Drafted him that high if you were the Chiefs? Or in general?

Because I think he has a chance to turn into a real steal as a 3rd rounder.

I can understand people not wanting a RB in that spot for KC though.

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I've posted this vid a couple times, but seriously, it's worth watching.

I LOVE the way this kid runs.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIe8WsB1KZ8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIe8WsB1KZ8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
shut up . . u know nothing. . stop acting like u know everything. . have u talked to him about football??? jezus shut the **** up already .

You're drunk, retarded, or both.

Skip Towne
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
You're drunk, retarded, or both.

He's criminally ignorant.

noa
04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I've watched that video that KCMizzou posted a few times already, and I can't stop watching the run that starts at the 2:52 mark against Oklahoma. First, he uses a great juke to elude the first guy, then he breaks a tackle, then the separation he gets to go for the TD is mind-blowing. That kind of speed is rare. I don't remember KC ever having an RB with the potential to do that.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I've watched that video that KCMizzou posted a few times already, and I can't stop watching the run that starts at the 2:52 mark against Oklahoma. First, he uses a great juke to elude the first guy, then he breaks a tackle, then the separation he gets to go for the TD is mind-blowing. That kind of speed is rare. I don't remember KC ever having an RB with the potential to do that.

He could be the featured back in a couple of years if LJ doesn't watch his back. This kid is a burner and he's got phenominal vision.

KevB
04-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Drafted him that high if you were the Chiefs? Or in general?

Because I think he has a chance to turn into a real steal as a 3rd rounder.

I can understand people not wanting a RB in that spot for KC though.

I honestly don't see much of a difference between Felix Jones and Charles. Both with speed to burn, both made big plays, etc. Charles has actually carried the load for a season or two, while Jones hasn't. I love the pick. If I'm not mistaken, the point of playing and winning the game is to score more points than the other team. This guy can score from anywhere on the field, and I do believe that's something the Chiefs could use.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Kiper thought he was the 2nd day's best value...i think he will really help our O, and that recovery on hawk was badass

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
NY58 as a young lad...

And now a full grown ****stick :)Jesus, man... that first pic is rough. Nobody wants to see that.

DT58HOF
04-29-2008, 11:44 PM

on tv they said when the season began Kiper had him going int he first round, but his stock dropped this year,hopefully that was because clemson sucked

Douche Baggins
04-29-2008, 11:46 PM
****ing hell. Do we really need to see that?

ClevelandBronco
http://www.youtube.com/v/dh5wY9xDfVw&hl=en (http://www.youtube.com/v/dh5wY9xDfVw&hl=en"></param><param)

"Diz amfle mewon peeb da fowlin gaffle."

Well said. Give that man a B.A.

Mr. Flopnuts
LMAO LMAO LMAO

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
****ing hell. Do we really need to see that?If YOU had posted it, you'd have been banned yesterday.

MadMax
04-29-2008, 11:57 PM
If YOU had posted it, you'd have been banned yesterday.

Damn! Didn't mean to be offensive if it's that bad I'll post it again :) Sheesh lighten up I have a twisted sense of humor

|Zach|
04-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Damn! Didn't mean to be offensive if it's that bad I'll post it again :) Sheesh lighten up I have a twisted sense of humor

Humor?

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Humor?

OMFG! It's a picture, crucify me, I gives a shit. Damn, I hope I get banned WTFE Jeez everything is a political statement or an argument with some of you asses. Seriously I add absolutely nothing to this place ( I know that ) unlike you mouthy jerks who take EVERY oppurtunity to attack and criticize others. So piss off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Douche Baggins
04-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Dude, it's a ****ing mutilated body. No one wants to see that shit. Take it elsewhere.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:21 AM
OMFG! It's a picture, crucify me, I gives a shit. Damn, I hope I get banned WTFE Jeez everything is a political statement or an argument with some of you asses. Seriously I add absolutely nothing to this place ( I know that ) unlike you mouthy jerks who take EVERY oppurtunity to attack and criticize others. So piss off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hey man... you're fine.

Nobody wants you to go anywhere. That's pic's just a bad idea. It might not bother you, but it's disturbing to others.

|Zach|
04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
OMFG! It's a picture, crucify me, I gives a shit. Damn, I hope I get banned WTFE Jeez everything is a political statement or an argument with some of you asses. Seriously I add absolutely nothing to this place ( I know that ) unlike you mouthy jerks who take EVERY oppurtunity to attack and criticize others. So piss off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, it is an aborted baby.

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey man... you're fine.

Nobody wants you to go anywhere. That's pic's just a bad idea. It might not bother you, but it's disturbing to others.

It's ok I deleted it and sorry to offend anyone...

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
It's ok I deleted it and sorry to offend anyone...Thanks man. :)

So anyway, how about that draft!? :D

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks man. :)

So anyway, how about that draft!? :D

I'm absolutely stoked about our draft :) Only time can tell, but I am excited for real for the 1st time in many years.. I still hate Carl and want him gone ASAP, and Herm has shown to be a complete buffoon during game time. All that aside, the Chiefs seem to be on the right path and it's about damned time lol again I apogize to everyone for poor judgement.. :(

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm absolutely stoked about our draft :) Only time can tell, but I am excited for real for the 1st time in many years.. I still hate Carl and want him gone ASAP, and Herm has shown to be a complete buffoon during game time. All that aside, the Chiefs seem to be on the right path and it's about damned time lol again I apogize to everyone for poor judgement.. :(Don't even sweat it dude. It's all good.

See, that's the difference between you and a troll.

Check out this other video of our new RB...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5fq8TzJnM3o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5fq8TzJnM3o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:46 AM
This guy's gonna surprise some people.

He really reminds me a bit of Priest.

I know that's blasphemy, but he does.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 12:46 AM
I thought Charles was a top 5 RB in the class so I was personally laughing when guys like Matt Forte were going ahead of him.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2008, 12:48 AM
The thing I like about him is he's not all speed. You can see the vision, moves and strength, too.

And long runs make for epic highlight films.

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I get crucified here for posting a pic I found on the internet. Yet in another thread about Hulk Hogan, people crack jokes about molesting daughters and that is ok? Hard to gauge some of you guys that's all i'm saying..Seems like a little self righteous picky choosy to me. Oh I think I get it...Abortion is taboo.. a lil sumpin sumpin from the lil girl is ok as long as you are joking.

scott free
04-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I've posted this vid a couple times, but seriously, it's worth watching.

I LOVE the way this kid runs.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIe8WsB1KZ8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIe8WsB1KZ8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oooh...me likey, dare i even whisper the name???...shhh, Joe Delaney.

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I get crucified here for posting a pic I found on the internet. Yet in another thread about Hulk Hogan, people crack jokes about molesting daughters and that is ok? Hard to gauge some of you guys that's all i'm saying..Seems like a little self righteous picky choosy to me. Oh I think I get it...Abortion is taboo.. a lil sumpin sumpin from the lil girl is ok as long as you are joking.

Shut up Mike!!!!!!!! ROFL

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Shut up Mike!!!!!!!! ROFLThat's good advice. You'll appreciate it tomorrow. LMAO

What's weird, is I'm kinda ****ed up.. and I'm giving you advice. I can't even begin to imagine how ****ed up you must be.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
This thread is rather up and down...

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:59 AM
This thread is rather up and down...Sorry.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry.

Well hey it's entertaining atleast......since you didn't look at that other thread, I'll mention it here, did you know Will Franklin is related to Darnay Scott?

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Well hey it's entertaining atleast......since you didn't look at that other thread, I'll mention it here, did you know Will Franklin is related to Darnay Scott?I read that, but to be honest, I don't remember Darnay Scott. :redface:

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I read that, but to be honest, I don't remember Darnay Scott. :redface:

LOL...

His most memorable days come as the #2 WR on the Bengals, I liked them on those days they were fun..

Cmon you gotta remember em it was mid 90's, Jeff Blake was throwin deep balls and the WR's were Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott.

scott free
04-30-2008, 01:06 AM
LOL...

His most memorable days come as the #2 WR on the Bengals, I liked them on those days they were fun..

Cmon you gotta remember em it was mid 90's, Jeff Blake was throwin deep balls and the WR's were Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott.

Yep, Darnay was the deep threat to Slim Pickens possession.

He put up some very good numbers.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:07 AM
LOL...

Cmon you gotta remember em it was mid 90's, Jeff Blake was throwin deep balls and the WR's were Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott.Oh, ok... yeah.

The Bengals were mad bombers back then. Kinda like the Raiders always wanted to be. Strong armed QB, fast as hell WR's...

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Jeff Blake threw a wicked deep ball it would go so high it was off the screen.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:09 AM
The Raiders kept signing track guys that couldn't catch, though. Jett, Ismail, etc.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Hey Ismail starred in the CFL......

He actually was pretty decent on the Cowboys.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Franklin can catch. People talk about his hands... but I think he'll be fine.

Assuming the pressure doesn't change things.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:14 AM
I have a few catches in mind that I'd love to show you. The one along the sidelines against CU was just amazing...

Unfortunately, Franklin gets no love on youtube.... and I've only seen it in a long video of Mizzou highlights.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Well he's gotta be better than throwing Jeff Webb out there....I just frankly don't see it with that guy...I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the team when preseason ends....

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Here it is... about the 2 minute mark... watch for #2

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAO2cLhOxUA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAO2cLhOxUA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mecca
04-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Obviously he has great speed, I don't see any real bad hands there he's hand catching and not body catching.

Missouri has 2-3 1st round projected picks next year so that should be fun to watch, don't see that to often around here.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Here it is... about the 2 minute mark... watch for #2

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAO2cLhOxUA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAO2cLhOxUA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

FWIW, I recommend this video to anyone with the time to click. :D

Hawk
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
The videos posted on here are nice, but they are really just the tip of the iceberg as one was just his freshman year, and the other was only the first couple of games of his Junior year. Here's a couple of short ones that shows a few of his other nice plays.

72 yard TD catch vs Iowa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5RbNgzrW-E&feature=related

75 yard TD run vs Ok state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnueBKSEHLw&feature=related

86 yard TD run vs Nebraska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pm0y9Pol04&feature=related

Short Leash Hootie
04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Drafting OL is fine you just have to take guys who are actually WORTH the pick. Hell I'd be fine taking 3 OL in a row if I thought they were all good players with good upside and worth their picks....

I really like you during the draft...kiss?

Short Leash Hootie
04-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I like how Charles hardly celebrates after big runs...not only was this a MONEY pick but he might light a little fire under Scary Larry's ass and we all know how scary Larry can be when something is pissing him off...