PDA

View Full Version : Unread Threads tracked differently

DaFace
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm trying out a setting in vBulletin where your "unread threads" are saved in the database rather than in a cookie on your computer. Basically, you should be able to leave the Planet for days and it will still keep track of which threads you've read and which ones you haven't, where the old setting would just assume you'd read everything that was more than a few hours old.

You can tell it that you've read "everything" by using the "Mark Forums Read" option under "Quick Links" on the toolbar if you'd like.

This should also mean that the "Show first new post" button will work right even if you've been gone for a while.

This is a smidge more processor intensive, but given the server's performance I figured we'd give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Adept Havelock
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Nice idea.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJV44YV69z0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJV44YV69z0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DaFace
04-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Heeeyyyyyy...the "New Posts" button works right now, too! Unfortunately, that doesn't do us any good since the stupid thing works through the search feature. :sulk:

SPchief
04-30-2008, 08:05 PM
But what about the tags? :)

FAX
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Somethin's happenin' here.

FAX

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
That portion of "server performance" would be better allocated.....to a REAL search function. :D

DaFace
04-30-2008, 08:47 PM
That portion of "server performance" would be better allocated.....to a REAL search function. :D

Heh...let's see here...

Database thread tracking - adds approximately 2ms per page load
Search - adds approximately 100 seconds to page loads while used

:hmmm:

CrazyPhuD
04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
But what about the tags? :)

ROFL :stupid:

DaFace
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Actually, I would really like to turn back on the search feature for the "New Posts" function and the "Find posts/threads by this user" functions. Unfortunately, they're the same function in vBull as the normal search, so we can't turn those on without turning the search itself on. Sigh...

Hopefully Kyle will find time to get to it soon. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Heh...let's see here...

Database thread tracking - adds approximately 2ms per page load
Search - adds approximately 100 seconds to page loads while used

:hmmm:

That's still "greek" to me....are you saying 'no?' ;)

Guru
04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Is this why every thread I track is reverting back to April 21st as the last post read?

ClevelandBronco
04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Nice idea..

Yep. Nice idea. For What It's Worth.

You are indeed Adept, Havelock.

DaFace
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Is this why every thread I track is reverting back to April 21st as the last post read?

Not sure. I'd guess it's just part of the switchover. Is it tracking things correctly going forward?

Guru
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Not sure. I'd guess it's just part of the switchover. Is it tracking things correctly going forward?

Yeah, it seems to be fine once I marked the entire forum as read.

Just caught me off guard when I went into a large thread and realized I was rereading old posts. Then I noticed the trend. Then I found this thread.

DaFace
04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, it seems to be fine once I marked the entire forum as read.

Just caught me off guard when I went into a large thread and realized I was rereading old posts. Then I noticed the trend. Then I found this thread.

Gotcha. Well, at least it's working going forward. Once we get the search going again, the "New Posts" button will work finally as well.

Baby steps...

DaFace
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Bump since I've gotten a couple of questions about this.

The main improvement I've seen so far is that you can leave for a while and catch right back up where you left off in the middle of a thread by using the little red arrow to the left of a thread title - the "go to first new post" arrow.

StcChief
05-01-2008, 10:46 AM
That's still "greek" to me....are you saying 'no?' ;) index rebuilding on 'searchable columns' = downtime of Chiefplanet....

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Keep up the good work DaFace.

acesn8s
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
This should make arguing in a thread much easier. Not that I would ever do such a thing.

StcChief
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Bump since I've gotten a couple of questions about this.

The main improvement I've seen so far is that you can leave for a while and catch right back up where you left off in the middle of a thread by using the little red arrow to the left of a thread title - the "go to first new post" arrow.or if you use a work/home computer......

stored in Database is always better than on a file system.

Chief Wiggum
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
This is the greatest feature on the CP since tags and the old search feature (Not google). Please don't take this one away too!

I kid....I kid...

This is a really handy feature though.

DaFace
05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
This is the greatest feature on the CP since tags and the old search feature (Not google). Please don't take this one away too!

I kid....I kid...

This is a really handy feature though.

Ha...to be fair, we didn't "take the search feature away." It just got stupid and broke, so it should be back at some point. Hopefully sooner than later. :)

I've had a monitoring service watching the server loads since I turned it on, and it doesn't seem to have made hardly any difference. So, unless things change I doubt there will be any reason to turn this back off.

chasedude
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Nice Idea, since at work I'm jumping around to alot of different systems checking out the planet throughout the day.