PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs RAND - Why not a quarterback?

C-Mac
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Why not a quarterback? (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/05/01/why_not_a_quarterback/)
May 01, 2008, 3:41:00 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

The most popular second guess about the Chiefs’ generally well-received draft is that they came away without a quarterback.

But even a dozen picks aren’t enough to fill every need after a 4-12 season. The Chiefs also could have used a guard, a center and a blue-chip pass rusher. Put them on next year’s list.

With the Chiefs having so many needs, quarterback had to be a secondary consideration — especially in a draft not projected to produce a bumper crop of quarterbacks.

Matt Ryan, picked third overall by the Falcons, was the only so-called franchise quarterback. After him came Joe Flacco, picked 18th overall by the Ravens. Three quarterbacks were taken in the second and third rounds and eight over the last three rounds.

That’s only 13 draftees at the game’s most important position. Unless there’s another Tom Brady among the late-round picks, this draft appeared short on both quality and quantity at quarterback.

Of the top four passers – Ryan, Flacco, Brian Brohm (Packers) and Chad Henne (Dolphins) – all except Brohm were picked to help new head coaches. The starting spot was vacant in Atlanta and Baltimore. Though the Dolphins drafted quarterback John Beck in the second round a year ago, the Bill Parcells-run regime wanted its own candidate for the job.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards had mentioned that he saw little point in drafting a quarterback who didn’t promise a much better upside than incumbent Brodie Croyle. A drafted quarterback always generates tremendous buzz, however. In fact, if Croyle were drafted by the Chiefs this past weekend, fans would excitedly be asking how soon he might get on the field.

Even were Ryan available to the Chiefs, it might’ve been counter-productive to draft him before they’ve completely rebuilt the line. Poor protection has ruined many a young passer, and Croyle needs a lot more time in the pocket than he had a year ago to have a fighting chance.

For the Chiefs, drafting another quarterback in the second or third round would’ve been an exercise in duplication. Admittedly, that’s what the Dolphins did and they might argue that the more young quarterbacks you have, the better the chance that one of them will become a star.

The Packers drafted two quarterbacks, even though they have a young starter, Aaron Rodgers. Then again, the Packers kept drafting quarterbacks even when Brett Favre was in his prime.

The Chiefs’ quarterback situation is confused by the difficulty in evaluating Croyle’s 2007 performance. He went 0-6 as a starter but there were a lot of asterisks. He made his debut as a starter despite a leaky line, the absence of Pro Bowl runner Larry Johnson, consistently poor field position and unimaginative play calling.

With these problems fixed, Croyle might well prove himself the right man for the job. If they’re not fixed, it’s hard to imagine even a first-round draft choice could have a decent chance to succeed. But because this is Croyle’s third year, he’ll be squarely on the spot, no matter what kind of support he gets from his surrounding cast.

Chiefs decision makers won’t have to agonize over whether to draft a quarterback in 2009. Croyle will make that decision for them months before then.

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Because, Jon....in case you hadn't noticed....drafting a QB is always a crapshoot...especially during a year when Ryan is "best" prospect.

If Croyle turns into a bust....then I suspect we'll draft one in the next couple of years, or pick up one in FA.

Wilson8
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
I'd like Jonathan Rand to write this story, "Is Dick Curl the Man We Want Coaching Our Young QBs?".

Dick needs to be the assistant to the assitant to the assistant. I have never heard him say or do anything that a Little League Father could not do.

FringeNC
05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd like Jonathan Rand to write this story, "Is Dick Curl the Man We Want Coaching Our Young QBs?".

Dick needs to be the assistant to the assitant to the assistant. I have never heard him say or do anything that a Little League Father could not do.

I am HOPING that Price will effectively be QB coach, despite Dick Curl's title.

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Because shut the **** up, Rand.

See also "this QB class sucked, go away."

kcchiefsus
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I just read earlier that the Bucs received 3 trade offers for Chris Simms during the draft. 2 teams offered a 6th round pick and 1 team offered a 7th. With our abundance of picks in each of those rounds I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of those teams.

I can't understand why they wouldn't accept a 6th round pick. They already have Garcia, Griese, Gradkowski, McCown, and they just drafted Josh Johnson. Simms has to be pissed that he is just a sitting duck on the depth chart.

StcChief
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I just read earlier that the Bucs received 3 trade offers for Chris Simms during the draft. 2 teams offered a 6th round pick and 1 team offered a 7th. With our abundance of picks in each of those rounds I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of those teams.

I can't understand why they wouldn't accept a 6th round pick. They already have Garcia, Griese, Gradkowski, McCown, and they just drafted Josh Johnson. Simms has to be pissed that he is just a sitting duck on the depth chart. our way to QB is still FA way.... don't be surprised if we don't pick up a released one.

boogblaster
05-01-2008, 09:11 AM
FA is the way we'll pick-up a QB .. that said there's not much out there anyway ....

CosmicPal
05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
There were several teams that badly needed a QB this draft and they all passed on them as well. Must say something for the talent of this QB draft class.

kcchiefsus
05-01-2008, 09:19 AM
There were several teams that badly needed a QB this draft and they all passed on them as well. Must say something for the talent of this QB draft class.

Or perhaps teams are realizing that the way to find quarterbacks is to build a solid team and continually use low round picks on quarterbacks to hopefully find a gem. That is what Holmgren did in Green Bay when he found Matt Hasselbeck. And despite being a higher pick for this circumstance that is what Green Bay is doing again with Brian Brohm.

Demonpenz
05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
maybe we can get mcnabb

Molitoth
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Good article Rand. :clap:

Hope some peeps will re-read this paragraph.

The Chiefs’ quarterback situation is confused by the difficulty in evaluating Croyle’s 2007 performance. He went 0-6 as a starter but there were a lot of asterisks. He made his debut as a starter despite a leaky line, the absence of Pro Bowl runner Larry Johnson, consistently poor field position and unimaginative play calling.

Tom Brady would have failed in those situations.

Pablo
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
maybe we can get mcnabbI propose a healthy serving of F*ck No to this...

CosmicPal
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Tom Brady would have failed in those situations.

True dat. Didn't Troy Aikman have a horrible first season? Peyton Manning, I believe, only won something like four games in his first season as well. Not interested in looking up statistics, but if I recall correctly- Aikman was 0-6 his first year. It wasn't until he got the people around him that he was able to become the QB he was projected to be.

DenverChief
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
maybe we can get mcnabb

I thought it was Favre?

Pablo
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, we've sort of given Brodie the tools for success.

We may have an average offensive line, he's got what looks to be a promising 3-back system, at least one big play target and one of the greatest TE's of all time. As long as Albert is the stud he looks to be and Richardson is at least average, we may have an OK line.

He'd better complete better than 60% of his passes and have a positive(if not very close to even) TD/INT average. I don't expect 25 TD's and 4,000 yards, but I'd be pretty happy with around 2500-3000 and 15-20 TD's with as few or less INT's. This is assuming he starts all 16 games, which will be his biggest issue by far.

Pestilence
05-01-2008, 10:01 AM

I can't understand why they wouldn't accept a 6th round pick. They already have Garcia, Griese, Gradkowski, McCown, and they just drafted Josh Johnson. Simms has to be pissed that he is just a sitting duck on the depth chart.

They also just signed UDFA Sam Keller out of Nebraska.

beach tribe
05-01-2008, 10:07 AM
True dat. Didn't Troy Aikman have a horrible first season? Peyton Manning, I believe, only won something like four games in his first season as well. Not interested in looking up statistics, but if I recall correctly- Aikman was 0-6 his first year. It wasn't until he got the people around him that he was able to become the QB he was projected to be.

Peyton won 3 games, threw 28 picks.

DaKCMan AP
05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Some other numbers:

Peyton Manning's QB rating his 1st year was 71.2 with 26TDs and 28ints.
Troy Aikman's QB rating his 1st and 2nd year were 55.7 and 66.6 and td/int was 9/18 and 11/18, respectively.
Brodie Croyle's QB rating last season was 69.9 with 6TDs and 6ints.

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Some other numbers:

Peyton Manning's QB rating his 1st year was 71.2 with 26TDs and 28ints.
Troy Aikman's QB rating his 1st and 2nd year were 55.7 and 66.6 and td/int was 9/18 and 11/18, respectively.
Brodie Croyle's QB rating last season was 69.9 with 6TDs and 6ints.So Brodie is the next manning?:rolleyes:

blueballs
05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe Palmer will demand a trade
costly but a sure thing

DaKCMan AP
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
So Brodie is the next manning?:rolleyes:

Only if you're too retarded to understand the point.

Pestilence
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Maybe Palmer will demand a trade
costly but a sure thing

Yeah....just imagine how much they'd want for him too.

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Only if you're too retarded to understand the point.
Damn, I was just kidding.

blueballs
05-01-2008, 10:31 AM
2009 1st rounder #1
20010 first rounder #29
Bobby Sippio

beach tribe
05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
2009 1st rounder #1
20010 first rounder #29
Bobby Sippio

Forget about Sippio buddy. Anyone but our savior.

DaKCMan AP
05-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Damn, I was just kidding.

My bad. Some people will look at that and make your remark, seriously. The point is merely that it takes more than a few games or a single season to evaluate a QB.

blueballs
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Forget about Sippio buddy. Anyone but our savior.

you're right
Carl will trade the picks for Marvin Lewis
minus Sippio

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Tyler Thigpen will become the next Derek Anderson.