PDA

View Full Version : KU KU Jayhawks Men's Hoops gets a 2010 commit.

Ceej
05-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Royce Woolridge, a 6-1 SG from Phoenix, Zona. Supposed to grow from anywhere between 6'4 and 6'6. He's considered one of the top 5 scorers in the class right now. Solid defender as well. Recently he dominated a tournament with some of the top prospects from the 2010-2011 class where he averaged 32 points. He mentioned KU has always been his favorite school growing up.

This isn't a link or anything, just something my buddy texted me this morning. Thought some of you fellow "beakers" would be interested.

CosmicPal
05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
http://kansas.rivals.com/

Ceej
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm not a big Slant fan.

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Now we just need to concentrate on landing Xavier Henry in 09.

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Jayhawks get basketball commitment from high school sophomore

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | How much can a national championship help in recruiting? The Kansas basketball program found out on Wednesday night when Royce Woolridge, a high school sophomore from Phoenix, Ariz., gave an oral commitment to KU for the class of 2010.
“Royce told me last night,” said Dan Mannix, Woolridge’s coach at Sunnyslope High. “I think there are a few factors. Obviously, Kansas has a great program, one he really admires. He had talked about a few schools that really stood out – if you could play for them, he’d like to, and that was one of them.”
While KU doesn’t yet have a commitment for the Class of 2009, the Jayhawks already have one for the following year. Rivals.com called Woolridge’s commitment the earliest in Arizona history. Woolridge, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard, chose KU over UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, California and Georgetown.
“He’s a scorer,” Mannix said. “That’s the best way I could describe him right now. He has really deep range for a young guy. You can’t teach 23-foot range, and he has that. He would probably be more of a combo guard. He can break people down off the dribble.”
Mannix expects Woolridge to grow a couple more inches before he comes to KU. After all, Woolridge’s father, Orlando, was 6-foot-9 and played 13 seasons in the NBA.

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
http://kansas.rivals.com/

LOL. Shay Rocks!

Mr. Arrowhead
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
isnt that a little eary to get a commitment

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM

That's what I thought.

SithCeNtZ
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Not in these changing times. Take a look at scout.com's early 2010 top 10.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
It seems a little early for a 3 star, not ranked, sophomore to commit to Kansas though.

KCFalcon59
05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Another story. link (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/may/01/2010_prospect_woolridge_commits_ku/)

SithCeNtZ
05-01-2008, 11:15 AM
It seems a little early for a 3 star, not ranked, sophomore to commit to Kansas though.

Two things about that. The first is that his star ranking isn't accurate, it just means they haven't evaluated him yet. Lots of 2010 kids have that. They just added his profile this morning to the scout database. Second, do you really think Self would accept a commit two years early if he was only a 3 star talent? We aren't exactly KSU/MU here.

teedubya
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
We aren't exactly KSU/MU here.

ROFL

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
It really is a matter of height and if that height is not a problem for coaches, we expect him to get plenty of offers.

So, when did a 6'2" shooting guard come with a height issue?

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Two things about that. The first is that his star ranking isn't accurate, it just means they haven't evaluated him yet. Lots of 2010 kids have that. They just added his profile this morning to the scout database. Second, do you really think Self would accept a commit two years early if he was only a 3 star talent? We aren't exactly KSU/MU here.

I fully understand that Self isn't going to take a commitment from some random guy. If that were the case, we could very well end up like KSU or MU.

Maybe I'm making to much of this. It was just a surprise that we got such an early commitment.

ArrowheadHawk
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I fully understand that Self isn't going to take a commitment from some random guy. If that were the case, we could very well end up like KSU or MU.

Maybe I'm making to much of this. It was just a surprise that we got such an early commitment.
Strike while the Iron is hot. Would you rather have been recruited by Florida last year or this year? There is no telling how good or bad next years KU team will be. So why not get some early recruits?

hawkchief
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Apparently the kid just recently dominated the Derby Classic AAU tournament filled with the top players for '09 and was named the tourney MVP after dropping 40 points in one game. Sounds like he's going to be pretty good.

Anyong Bluth
05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
So, when did a 6'2" shooting guard come with a height issue?

When he wants to play the 2 in the NBA. In college ball, not so much of a big deal. Sounds like he has a nice stroke, and the article mentioned he doesn't seem to have a lot of trouble shooting over larger guys? Who knows- Chalmers was a guy that is 6'1 - 6'2 but has very long arms, a pretty good vertical and his shot had a lot of arc on it, so larger defenders rarely gave him fits shooting deep while being defended. Memphis was of the few teams that had guys that probably frustrated him the most in getting off decent looks...

BigVE
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Looks like B. Self's new contract must have had some huge bonus if he lands X amount of recruits this year! LOL, bring 'em on!

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 06:33 PM
When he wants to play the 2 in the NBA.

So what your saying is his height isn't a concern for the Hawks. I know that we have some fans on here, but really, who cares about the NBA?

chuxtrux
05-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not a big Slant fan.

Why not, they are better than the Phog.

Mr. Plow
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Heh.

"Ok guys. I just got off the phone with (insert random recruit here). He LOVES the Jayhawks! I know we are listed as 18th among the 20 teams recruiting him, but that's just a super, ultra, secret disguise. He's just doing that to take his recruiting trips. Believe me, he loves the Jayhawks and he'll commit soon."

Shay is the "Nick" of the college basketball world.

Skip Towne
05-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Looks like B. Self's new contract must have had some huge bonus if he lands X amount of recruits this year! LOL, bring 'em on!

It's like the Chiefs great draft.......only better.

Ceej
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM

I disagree.

Chiefsplanet is to Phog.net as Warpaint Illustrated is to Jayhawk Slant.

chuxtrux
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I disagree.

The phog has better boards, but imo the slant has better content.

Mr. Plow
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I disagree.

Thank you. I couldn't think of a way to put it.

BWillie
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Why is everybody getting bent out of shape about this kids height. He's a 6-2 sophomore. Even if he gets here at 6-3 that is good size for a college shooting guard. Rivals only ranks the top 10 from the sophomore class, and there will be a lot of shifting in that top ten by the time those kids are seniors. Either way it's just a verbal. 50/50 that the kid even suits up for KU, but hey thats better than nothing.

Basileus777
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
2010? Thats weak.

Kentucky got a commit from an 8th grader.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/120997533372930.xml&coll=2