PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Chiefs are leaving no stone unturned...

Direckshun
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
You never know (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/cnu/dp-spt_cnuplayer_0501may01,0,7512783.story).

Chiefs give Rodriguez call
Defensive back Rob Rodriguez becomes the first Christopher Newport player to take part in an NFL camp.
By JENNIFER L. WILLIAMS

Rob Rodriguez's regular student duties at Christopher Newport were interrupted Tuesday when he got a call from the Kansas City Chiefs telling him to get to their minicamp ASAP.

The former Division III All-American defensive back did just that. On Tuesday, he distractedly finished a school project and told Best Buy he needed time off from work, then did laundry and took a math test Wednesday before hopping on a plane to Kansas City.

"It's been crazy," Rodriguez said while connecting between flights. "I just found out yesterday, so I didn't have time to prepare or anything."

His schedule worked out well because the minicamp for rookies and free agents runs through Sunday, and he doesn't complete his classes until final exams next week. The Chiefs said they'd supply all his football equipment, so his cleats were the only thing he brought.

Rodriguez, who will graduate from CNU next month, is the first player in the program's seven-year history to take part in an NFL camp.

"Rob had a phenomenal career at Christopher Newport and has continued to work hard," said CNU coach Matt Kelchner. "To get an opportunity like this is terrific. I can't tell you how happy I am for Rob."

Rodriguez, a Virginia Beach native, played defensive back and special teams for CNU from 2003 to 2006. He was a Division III All-American as a senior and participated in the Aztec Bowl for senior all-stars after the season.

He also was selected for the first-ever U.S. national football team that played in the World Cup for American Football in Tokyo.

Rodriguez was the USA South Defensive Player of the Year in 2005 and was a first-team all-conference pick in 2006. He set a school record by blocking 10 kicks, and he intercepted nine passes and scored four touchdowns.

Prior to his senior season, he was chosen the first team captain in CNU football history.

Rodriguez said he got the call Tuesday at 1 p.m., and immediately started getting ready for the trip. He tossed and turned Tuesday night after staying up until 1 a.m. to study.

"I have no idea what to expect," he said. "I just plan to stay for the whole weekend and they're going to further evaluate me. I've just been telling my friends, getting congratulations, and I'm just ready to go."
Credit to Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/5/1/470992/rob-rodriguez-s-regular-st).

Hey, you can't fault them for not trying. :D

Pestilence
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
That's cool....at least the kid is getting a shot.

BigRock
05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Apparently the rookie camp is going to be a giant tryout for UDFAs and such. The team's draft picks aren't coming until OTAs in two weeks so that the coaches can focus entirely on the unsigned guys at camp.

stlchiefs
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Damn, the Chiefs are like an expansion franchise this season. Sounds like they're doing good work. Clean house, bring in a ton of guys and let them fight it out.

KC Dan
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I started my AS degree program at Christopher Newport way back when - cool! Finished it, my BS and MBA elsewhere of course...

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I wish we had landed Geathers and Henderson as UFAs to go along with kids like this. It would be fun to uncover a ton of new talent for the team.

blueballs
05-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Peterson out done by AJ Smith once again

Chargers sign UFA QB Brady Leaf

pr_capone
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
This is a cool story!

Perhaps he will be the new Scanlon / Sippio!

/ still thinks Sippio would make a good WR in the NFL

Mr. Flopnuts
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Of ALL the teams to sign him. LMAO

chasedude
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, they're really doing the scouting this year. As stlchiefs also said it does feel like an expansion team this year with all the rookies coming in. I'm optimistic that somewhere one of these picks and walkons is going to turn out to be a HUGE asset!

Direckshun
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I just found Rob's measurables at Christopher Newport's website...

5'8", 150 lbs

el oh el

I could have played defensive back in Division III.

Direckshun
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Rob Rodriguez:

http://www.usasouth.net/images/05FBawards/dpoy.jpg

Looks confident. Also seems to be bigger than 5'8", 150.

Fruit Ninja
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
This is a cool story!

Perhaps he will be the new Scanlon / Sippio!

/ still thinks Sippio would make a good WR in the NFL

I still think Sippio is going to be our number 2 WR this year.

beach tribe
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Of ALL the teams to sign him. LMAO

Of all the teams to sign a QB named Leaf.

Buehler445
05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Isn't that his brother?

I vaguely remember watching a game that he was a back up for and the dude was just flat terrible. At least Ryan was good in college.

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Damn, the Chiefs are like an expansion franchise this season. Sounds like they're doing good work. Clean house, bring in a ton of guys and let them fight it out.

It's like Major League, but this isn't Cleveland and Charlie Sheen isn't throwing any heaters.

BigMeatballDave
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Isn't that his brother?

Yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Leaf

Easy 6
05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
This has been a habit of Herms from day 1...constantly checking out the unknowns, our practice squads are like musical chairs.

i'm not personally aware of a NFL coach, who scours around like Herm...looking for that Rocky Balboa in the weeds.

My unofficial guess, is that well have 800 guys in camp at some point...i love it.

Basileus777
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the rumours floating around about the Chargers signing Brady Leaf are false.

Tits McGee
05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
The only way Brady Leaf comes to San Diego is, a vacation.

Tits McGee
05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Isn't that his brother?

I vaguely remember watching a game that he was a back up for and the dude was just flat terrible. At least Ryan was good in college.

If it was true this town would be melting down and I haven't heard a thing.

Skip Towne
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
This has been a habit of Herms from day 1...constantly checking out the unknowns, our practice squads are like musical chairs.

i'm not personally aware of a NFL coach, who scours around like Herm...looking for that Rocky Balboa in the weeds.

My unofficial guess, is that well have 800 guys in camp at some point...i love it.
Hank Stram scoured the small colleges for talent. Places like Montana State and Alcorn A&M.

Easy 6
05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Hank Stram scoured the small colleges for talent. Places like Montana State and Alcorn A&M.

Yep, people passionate about football will keep bringing'em in...they know that for every NFL MEGASTAR, he probably has an equal out there somewhere who hasnt yet gotten his shot.

Friendo
05-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Yep, people passionate about football will keep bringing'em in...they know that for every NFL MEGASTAR, he probably has an equal out there somewhere who hasnt yet gotten his shot.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/memorial/car/mills.html

HMc
05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
5"8 and 150?

should be good for man coverage on TO/Moss

Phobia
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
He blocked so many kicks because he kept running between the "would-be" blocker's legs.

Fairplay
05-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Rob Rodriguez:

http://www.usasouth.net/images/05FBawards/dpoy.jpg

Looks confident. Also seems to be bigger than 5'8", 150.

We need more hispanics in the NFL. Racial discrimination if they aren't fairly represented.

Fairplay
05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I just found Rob's measurables at Christopher Newport's website...

5'8", 150 lbs

Goates is going to find out his penis size.

Dave Lane
05-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Of all the teams to sign a QB named Leaf.

They already have a jersey with his name on it!

Dave

chiefsfan1963
05-02-2008, 08:30 AM
All I know is when this team goes 4-12 this season all of this will be forgotten.
Hopefully CP and Herm will be outta here!

Chief Chief
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
At that size, CP has him just to be included as part of an incentive clause in Dorsey's contract proposal: "The Chiefs will provide you your own jock holder."

Direckshun
05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Awww....

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_cnuprotry_0515may15,0,3207958.story

Chiefs tell former CNU DB he's just too small for them
Rob Rodriguez will "keep going" despite his setback at the NFL team's minicamp.

By JENNIFER L. WILLIAMS | 247-4644
May 15, 2008

Although 5-foot-8 Rob Rodriguez often was big enough for Christopher Newport's Division III opponents, the Kansas City Chiefs say he's just too small.

The cornerback, who last played at CNU in 2006, was invited to the Chiefs' free-agent and rookie minicamp the weekend before last. Between finishing up school projects and last week's final exams, he flew out for a whirlwind of activity.

"They kept us busy the whole time," said Rodriguez, a Virginia Beach native. "And it was mind-boggling, like: 'Yeah, I'm really here.' "

Rodriguez intercepted the first pass that came his way. But last Tuesday he got the call that while his speed and attitude are great, his size wasn't enough.

"I was a little upset at the beginning," he said. "Everybody was saying at least you made it that far. But just from the way I played and how the tryout went, I felt like I should have made it. And I definitely could tell it was just because of my height.

"While I was there, at first I could tell I was the low man on the totem pole. As the days went by, I gradually improved and they definitely took notice of me. So I felt pretty good and confident."

One of the most decorated players in CNU's seven-year history, Rodriguez was a Division III All-American as a senior.

He played in the Aztec Bowl for senior all-stars and was on the first U.S. national team for the World Cup for American Football.

Since he returned from Kansas City, Rodriguez has gotten together with former Captains Justin Wood and Roland Hilliard for group workouts. The three will participate in a regional combine May 31 in Washington, D.C.

"I'm not ready to give up just yet, so I'm going to keep going," Rodriguez said.

blueballs
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
The Chiefs leave no stoner unturned

Stryker
05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Goates is going to find out his penis size.

Orally