PDA

View Full Version : Football Mandel's (Early) College Football Power Rankings

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/05/01/spring.rankings/index.html#?eref=T1

3 Big XII in the Top 10.

5 Big XII in the Top 15.

Pestilence
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey....where's Notre Dame? lol It's not an early ranking without having the Fighting Irish in the top 3.

JRS2
05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
he would rank Mizzou ahead of Oklahoma after their two losses last year. If and when Mizzou ever beats Oklahoma again he can begin to think about ranking them higher.

DaKCMan AP
05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
LSU and Florida should swap spots, IMO. They lost both QBs, Dorsey, Highsmith, Doucet, Chevis Jackson, Craig Steltz and others.

CupidStunt
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Texas Tech is laughable that high. They probably won't finish the season in the top 25.

Frazod
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
he would rank Mizzou ahead of Oklahoma after their two losses last year. If and when Mizzou ever beats Oklahoma again he can begin to think about ranking them higher.

The problem is we're the ONLY good team they can beat.

JRS2
05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
The problem is we're the ONLY good team they can beat.

Like I said...If and when.

Frazod
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM

No argument from me. We need to get that last monkey off our backs.

alanm
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
LSU and Florida should swap spots, IMO. They lost both QBs, Dorsey, Highsmith, Doucet, Chevis Jackson, Craig Steltz and others.
Also heard that Ryan Perrioulx-sp also got thrown off LSU's team today.

afchiefs
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Can someone post the article. Our firewall stops SI (Swim suit apparel)

DaKCMan AP
Also heard that Ryan Perrioulx-sp also got thrown off LSU's team today.

Yep. When I said 2 QBs I was referring to Flynn and Perrilloux.

kepp

No...see...we beat most good teams we play (except OU, for now) but OU doesn't. So they'll likely have more losses...then be ranked below us. If they only ranked two teams you'd be right.

chief4life
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
What did KU rank I can't get on cnnsi's website because of work? :cuss:

eazyb81
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Mizzou is ranked 4th, ku is ranked 15th.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
What did KU rank I can't get on cnnsi's website because of work? :cuss:

15#

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
he would rank Mizzou ahead of Oklahoma after their two losses last year. If and when Mizzou ever beats Oklahoma again he can begin to think about ranking them higher.I can't believe you think it's a transitive argument based solely on head-to-head matchups.

Basileus777
05-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Pitt at #25?

I don't understand how someone can rationally rank a team that went 5-7 in the Top 25.

duncan_idaho
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Pitt at #25?

I don't understand how someone can rationally rank a team that went 5-7 in the Top 25.

It's one part LeSean McCoy hype, one part Wannstedt hype (did I really just type that?).

McCoy is the real deal, and Wannstedt has recruited quite well there. Wannstedt gets the typical "former NFL guy" love, and they've been perceived as a rising team for a while now.

And I don't think Texas Tech in the top 15 is by any means ridiculous. Their offense should be the best it has been under Leach, and the defense adds some good talent on the line. Tech's D also improved dramatically once Ruffin McNeal was promoted to DC. The Raiders will be formidable - especially if your team lacks a great pass rushing defensive line.

JRS2
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I can't believe you think it's a transitive argument based solely on head-to-head matchups.

I can't believe you don't think it conclusive after we beat you decisively twice in one year.

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't believe you don't think it conclusive after we beat you decisively twice in one year.You're right; this list is based solely on last year's results and does not take into account the returning players. OU should be ranked higher regardless of the talent they lost, MU's returning players, and the fact that they only lost 3 games last year (MU beat two of those teams).

kepp
05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I can't believe you don't think it conclusive after we beat you decisively twice in one year.

Dude, it can't be based solely on head-to-head matchups. OU has a habit of disappearing in big games (like getting shalacked by WV). If you were to ask me which team, between OU and MU, is better I would have to say OU until we show we can beat you. But as far as overall rankings based on wins and losses (and consistency), MU should be ranked above OU.

Spott
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I think OU should probably be up at #2 and OSU should be around 6 or 7. I also think KU should probably be in the top 10 and Texas Tech shouldn't even be sniffing the top 10.

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Dude, it can't be based solely on head-to-head matchups. OU has a habit of disappearing in big games (like getting shalacked by WV). If you were to ask me which team, between OU and MU, is better I would have to say OU until we show we can beat you. But as far as overall rankings based on wins and losses (and consistency), MU should be ranked above OU.I agree with that.

Braincase
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I think OU should probably be up at #2 and OSU should be around 6 or 7. I also think KU should probably be in the top 10 and Texas Tech shouldn't even be sniffing the top 10.

I'm a KU fan, and I'm just happy they're preseason Top 20. If they end up Top 20 at the end of the season, I'm buying frazod a case of beer out of shame for my own disbelief.

Frazod
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm a KU fan, and I'm just happy they're preseason Top 20. If they end up Top 20 at the end of the season, I'm buying frazod a case of beer out of shame for my own disbelief.

And you can have it delivered by a flying pig. LMAO

JRS2
05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Dude, it can't be based solely on head-to-head matchups. OU has a habit of disappearing in big games (like getting shalacked by WV). If you were to ask me which team, between OU and MU, is better I would have to say OU until we show we can beat you. But as far as overall rankings based on wins and losses (and consistency), MU should be ranked above OU.

Yea, you are right. We don't consider MU a big game.

alnorth
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM

If you want to argue that OU will be better than Misery next year, ok fine. However, your reasoning is silly. Last year's results only matter when comparing last year's teams. OU's wins over the tiggers last year are irrelevant for this year. I'm not saying your definitely wrong, but the "you can't ever be ranked higher than us no matter what until you beat us" arguement is pretty dumb.

beavis
05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
No argument from me. We need to get that last monkey off our backs.

I don't think we even play OU this year do we? I mean, aside from the championship game.... :evil:

Braincase
05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
And you can have it delivered by a flying pig. LMAO

They don't let the Mizzou cheerleaders on airplanes.

Ultra Peanut
05-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Memphis isn't in the Top 10. Clearly, Mandel is crazy.

Frazod
05-02-2008, 06:40 PM
They don't let the Mizzou cheerleaders on airplanes.

C'mon, dude, you can do better than a fat cheerleader joke!

Skip Towne
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Memphis isn't in the Top 10. Clearly, Mandel is crazy.

Memphis plays football? Who knew?

Ultra Peanut
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Memphis plays football? Who knew?Oh yeah, pal? Tell that to RICE!!!!!!! And SMU!!!!!!!!!

LiL stumppy
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
We will see OU climbing those rankings soon.

And OU behind MU, gimme a break LMAO

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2008, 07:34 PM
We will see OU climbing those rankings soon.

And OU behind MU, gimme a break LMAOYeah, that would be like OU losing to Colorado and Texas Tech. Can you imagine?

Braincase
05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
C'mon, dude, you can do better than a fat cheerleader joke!

I was cleaning my naval lint, and that seemed more important than coming up with an original crack at the time. Sorry, I'll try to find a reason to put in a better effort next time... gotta go... ingrown butt hair...

Skip Towne
05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I was cleaning my naval lint, and that seemed more important than coming up with an original crack at the time. Sorry, I'll try to find a reason to put in a better effort next time... gotta go... ingrown butt hair...

TMI

ChiefGator
05-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Well, the Florida-Georgia game is finally going to start feeling like a rivalry again I guess. Seemed like Tennessee was the biggest game for so many years there. Maybe I'm biased but I don't see them as #1. Better when they fall though.. better when they fall.

milkman
05-03-2008, 07:00 AM
I don't know about these rankings but I hope to hell that as the season plays out, Ohio State falls out of the top 2, cause I'd like to see a good national championship game for a change.

afchiefs
05-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I tried to start a new thread on this but it wont let me manage attachments so I'll stick it here.

A guy on another site photo shopped this. I think it looks awesome.

Mosbonian
05-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Yea, you are right. We don't consider MU a big game.

Probably right about that....the problem is that you guys can't figure out what is a big game, that is why you drop the big flusher whenever the glare of the national spotlight hits you. Stoops is College Football's version of Marty Schottenheimer or maybe better yet....Norm Stewart.

mmaddog

BWillie
05-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not going to go out on a limb this year and predict a 10-2 KU season like last year. But KU will be respectable. I think teams are going to be ahead of the learning curve figuring out KU's check with me offense and how to stop their spread attack better. 8-4 with a bowl would probably be a good year.

Guru
05-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow!!! The Big XII has a lot to live up to this year. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

POND_OF_RED
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Both those games could be considered road games (well the big 12 was neutral) but if we play you this year it would only be at Arrowhead where we are undefeated this century.

|Zach|
05-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Georgia is a fun to team to watch for sure.

DT58HOF
05-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey....where's Notre Dame? lol It's not an early ranking without having the Fighting Irish in the top 3.

Notre Dame wil finish in the top 25, they will go10-2 or 9-3 at worst this year!!

DT58HOF
05-03-2008, 02:11 PM
and WVU at #14 they will probably go undefeated may lose 1 game and will be in top 5 all season long.

alanm
05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not going to predict anything at the moment for the Huskers. Get back to me the evening of Oct 4th. It will all depend on the defense for Nebraska. Pelini will get that turned around in a hurry. The offense will be able to put up points like they did last year. But it won't mean anything if they can't stop teams on defense. We may not contend for the Big 12 north this fall but the Huskers will be vastly improved from last year.
I think Nebraska will be back in a bowl game in 08

Frazod
05-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not going to predict anything at the moment for the Huskers. Get back to me the evening of Oct 4th. It will all depend on the defense for Nebraska. Pelini will get that turned around in a hurry. The offense will be able to put up points like they did last year. But it won't mean anything if they can't stop teams on defense. We may not contend for the Big 12 north this fall but the Huskers will be vastly improved from last year.

You put up six points on Missouri last year. I see more of the same. :)

alanm
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
You put up six points on Missouri last year. I see more of the same. :)
Ain't gonna happen Tim. The Missouri game last year was just a prelude to the Oklahoma St. meltdown which led to the Kansas and Colorado debacles.
2007 never happened. All reference to it has been destroyed.
The Coach who shall not be named has been wiped from the records.
But the Huskers will be pointing towards the game Oct 4th in Lincoln as a focal point in the season.
Missouri better bring their A game because the Huskers will be ready.:)

JRS2
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Probably right about that....the problem is that you guys can't figure out what is a big game, that is why you drop the big flusher whenever the glare of the national spotlight hits you. Stoops is College Football's version of Marty Schottenheimer or maybe better yet....Norm Stewart.

mmaddog

Well, we think the Big12 Championship game is big, and we have won it several times lately. I tend to think we do quite well in big games and go to sleep in the not-so-big games, but reasonable minds can disagree.

beer bacon
05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Oklahoma just hasn't done well in bowl games lately. That is about it.

Mosbonian
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, we think the Big12 Championship game is big, and we have won it several times lately. I tend to think we do quite well in big games and go to sleep in the not-so-big games, but reasonable minds can disagree.

To me, the Big 12 Championship game is a waste....and I wouldn't call the bowl game "not-so-big" especially since OU has managed to get beat by underdogs the last couple of years.

mmaddog

Sam Hall
05-03-2008, 05:22 PM

The D should be better simply because Pelini had the players lose weight during spring practice. Apparently they were overweight last year. I believe it.

JRS2
05-03-2008, 05:35 PM
To me, the Big 12 Championship game is a waste....and I wouldn't call the bowl game "not-so-big" especially since OU has managed to get beat by underdogs the last couple of years.

mmaddog

I can see why you would think that about the Championship game.

Played in one...lost one. :-)