PDA

View Full Version : Misc Astigmatism Question

beach tribe
05-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I have had it with glasses, so today I got contact lenses. I have astigmatism, but not very badly. The optometrist was very surprised at how easily I accepted having them in my eyes, and the ease of which I was able to get them in, and out. I have had them in for a few hrs, and they are a little uncomfortable. Nothing intollerable, just a little dry, and irritating.
Do any of you guys have these lenses (for astigmatism), and will this discomfort go away?

Thanks.

Rain Man
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I never got contacts because I grew up in the Cold War and I was always afraid that they would melt into my eyes in a nuclear holocaust.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I have contact lenses for astigmatism. They told me to line up a little notch with the bottom of my eye when I put them in. I did for the first two days, then just put them in like a normal pair of contacts. Can't really say I've ever noticed much of a difference.

mlyonsd
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing you're just reacting normally to contact lenses. I bet you'd have the same discomfort with regular lenses. Keep putting drops in them and your eyes will build a bit of a tolerance to them.

That being said I just had my eyes Lasik'd in January.

beach tribe
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I have contact lenses for astigmatism. They told me to line up a little notch with the bottom of my eye when I put them in. I did for the first two days, then just put them in like a normal pair of contacts. Can't really say I've ever noticed much of a difference.

Yea, I did the little notch thing. It actually feels like I'm adjusting. I was just wondering if there would always be some kind of discomfort.

Stewie
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I have a slight astigmatism and wear CIBA's Night & Day contacts. They're awesome. I seriously considered Lasik surgery, but when these contacts came out I shelved that idea. I can wear these for several weeks without taking them out and my eyes are never dry, even after sleeping.

kc rush
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I have astigmatism as well and my eyes do get dry after a while, I just assumed that it was normal for contact wearers. I put rewetting drops in and all is good.

beach tribe
05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a slight astigmatism and wear CIBA's Night & Day contacts. They're awesome. I seriously considered Lasik surgery, but when these contacts came out I shelved that idea. I can wear these for several weeks without taking them out and my eyes are never dry, even after sleeping.

The opto lady told me about those. I have a follow up next sat. I'll check em out. Honestly though, I put some drops in, and can't even tell they're in now.

Thanks for the feedback people. Helpfull as always is the planet.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I have had it with glasses, so today I got contact lenses. I have astigmatism, but not very badly. The optometrist was very surprised at how easily I accepted having them in my eyes, and the ease of which I was able to get them in, and out. I have had them in for a few hrs, and they are a little uncomfortable. Nothing intollerable, just a little dry, and irritating.
Do any of you guys have these lenses (for astigmatism), and will this discomfort go away?

Thanks.

Yes. And yes. They're toric lenses meaning they are weighted at one end. It will be a few days, but by next week, you'll never know that they're there. I've been wearing them for over 10 years now.

BigVE
05-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes. And yes. They're toric lenses meaning they are weighted at one end. It will be a few days, but by next week, you'll never know that they're there. I've been wearing them for over 10 years now.

Toric here too. Been wearing them for 5 or 6 years problem free. I have the thirty day lenses that you have to take out each night. Once you get used to the lenses you hardly notice them...there should be NO constant discomfort. As with most contacts they will have a tendency to dry out (thus the re-wetting drops are in every vehicle I own and at home and work) but its not a constant thing. I have had the same bottles of re-wetting drops for over a year now. As for lining up the little lines that are on the bottoms of the lenses...the contacts are weighted so that they naturally align up and down when you blink your eyes. I can just tell by looking at them now which side is up or down (which is only the case with people who have astigmatism or bi-focal lenses). Good luck.

stlchiefs
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I never got contacts because I grew up in the Cold War and I was always afraid that they would melt into my eyes in a nuclear holocaust.

I'm sure that has more to do with your use of a Flame Thrower.

tmax63
05-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I tried contacts once and never got over the feeling of something in my eyes. My eyes have always been super sensitive and I can't hardly put drops in them if I need to. I just stick to my no-line progressive transitions.

Logical
05-02-2008, 06:39 PM
No the pain will never go away and your eyes will eventually dry up and fall out. Good news you will get a disability check for the rest of your life.

Guru
05-02-2008, 06:50 PM
astigmatisms suck. I had to get glass for that so I wouldn't get headaches while reading. Sometimes I can go without them. lately I have had to wear them again though. It is annoying.

Joie
05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a slight astigmatism thats corrected by my contact lenses. Only time I have trouble is when I take a nap with them in, and rewetting drops takes care of the dryness.

evolve27
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I have astigmatism and my eyes seem to get dry after wearing contacts(toric) for a while so I got a new prescription on some glasses last week. What's the best rewetting drops that work?, b/c I use Refresh Tears and it doesn't do anything really.

Joie
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I have astigmatism and my eyes seem to get dry after wearing contacts(toric) for a while so I got a new prescription on some glasses last week. What's the best rewetting drops that work?, b/c I use Refresh Tears and it doesn't do anything really.

I've always just bought store brand. My eyes only really get dry when allergies are giving me trouble, or I've been asleep with contacts in.

synthesis2
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
email me at synthesis2@hotmail.com.... I am a contact lens consultant and have been for 8 years, thats my forte........ I'll help you with any problems...