PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Give Carl some credit

Count Alex's Losses
05-03-2008, 01:16 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/752136.html

I like to think I have my finger on the pulse of Chiefs Nation. I know most fans are at least somewhat happy with this yearís draft class. But this week, as I listened, I heard something that didnít quite add up. If Iím hearing correctly, it went something like this:

"Yeah, the Chiefs had a good draft. Herm Edwards and Bill Kuharich did a wonderful job. Those guys are terrific! Lucky for us, this year Carl Peterson was locked in a closet somewhere."

Yes, it seems the prevailing opinion this week has been to credit Edwards and Kuharich for the 2008 draft. With all the rumors flying this offseason Ė be they true or false - that Peterson had lost some power at Arrowhead, people have jumped to conclusions.

Those conclusions couldnít be more wrong.

Iím as disgruntled with the state of the Chiefs as any fan, but the truth is, Carl Peterson deserves plenty of credit for the 12-pick bounty that fell upon Kansas City last weekend. In fact, if you really consider how the 2008 draft came to be, he probably deserves the lionís share.

While itís true that Edwards and Kuharich did an absolutely fantastic job, who hired them? Thatís right, it was Carl who executed the deal that brought Edwards to Kansas City from New York (ask Jets fans what they think of Hermís successor), and it was Carl who promoted Kuharich from his previous position. Without Petersonís business savvy and ability to recognize Edwards and Kuharich as exactly what his franchise needed to lead the draft-first approach, Chiefs fans wouldnít be sitting around dreaming about Glenn Dorsey (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3722647) and Branden Albert (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3542598) making trips to Hawaii.

And how exactly did the Chiefs begin last Saturday with a whopping 13 picks? Who laid the groundwork for the 2008 draft? You know his name.

By trading largely worthless roster rabble (Lawrence Tynes (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3672517), Ryan Sims (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3630577)) and lucrative veterans (Trent Green), Peterson bulked up the back end of KCís 2008 draft. The Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3716719) trade Ė about the riskiest, most pro-active maneuver Carl has ever made - fortified the front end.

Go back to that Green deal for a minute, too. Considering the absolute failure of Cam Cameronís short stint as Dolphins head coach, and the brief period of time Green spent under center as Miamiís starting quarterback, Peterson essentially hoodwinked the Dolphins into giving up a fifth-round pick. Thereís no question Miami came out on the short end of that deal.

Remember all the posturing and back-and-forth the Chiefs and Dolphins went through last summer? Remember all the heat Peterson drew from the media for supposedly holding Green hostage and ďdamaging team chemistry?Ē

A year later, Peterson comes out of that whole ordeal smelling like roses. Instead of settling for Miamiís initial offer for Green (a 7th round pick if I recall correctly), Carl stuck to his guns and squeezed that fifth-rounder out of the Dolphins.

Because of that fifth-rounder, the Chiefs were able to trade up and grab their franchise left tackle. Yeah, all those headaches Carl supposedly caused last summer really sting now, donít they?

And how about the trade with the Detroit Lions to move up and get Albert? We now know the Philadelphia Eagles, a team with a great record for drafting big-time offensive linemen, were hot on Albertís tail and tried to leapfrog the Chiefs in the first round to grab him.

Considering the way the Browns kept hopping over Kansas City in last yearís draft (Cleveland traded up to get quarterback Brady Quinn (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3668093) in the first round and cornerback Eric Wright (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3668107) in the second round), give Peterson major props for burning up the phone lines in the war room and avoiding a similar fate this year.

To recap Ė Peterson hired the poster boys for the 2008 draft, gave them the tools to win the day, and executed a draft-day trade that may net the Chiefs the next Jonathan Ogden (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3662162) or Willie Roaf (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2475254). How can anyone conceivably avoid giving him credit? Such a stance would seem awfully biased.

And of course, should the 12 players selected by the Chiefs this year fuel the franchise for years to come, Carl Peterson will likely leave his football team in a much better state than he found it in 1989. The same canít be said for many fly-by-night general managers and coaches in todayís NFL (Bobby Petrino).

So go ahead, give the King a little credit (he didnít even draft anyone from UCLA this year). It wonít kill you.

L.A. Chieffan
05-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Yes, thank you Carl for all those playoff and Super Bowl wins. You're so underrated.

milkman
05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I like what the Chiefs did in this draft, but I sure as hell am not going to give him credit gor trading a pick away for a coach, who would have been fired eventually, and someone who, in spite of this draft I still think is a terrible game day coach.

And I'm betting that vos will tell you he'd much rather have Mangino than Herman ****ing Edwards.

The Bad Guy
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm really sorry you took time of your life to write shit like this.

The Chiefs should have rebuilt like this 2 years ago with a new GM.

Vegas_Dave
Your finger is on the pulse of Chiefs fans...

Common! That is just TOO Easy!

"bend over and cough, I want to FEEL your pulse!"

(although not a bad read)

SNR
It's a trap.

Seriously, this happens every few years. The Chiefs start losing, Chiefs fans show up at Arrowhead with burning torches and Carl effigies, Carl realizes his job is in jeopardy, pulls some big blockbuster deals to make it look like he's working, does something right, and then all of a sudden he's the greatest GM in the NFL again for another few seasons.

I'll give him credit, sure. Nice draft, Carl. And nice job making the Chiefs a respectable competitive franchise who win playoff games.

Oh, wait :cuss:

RustShack
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Carls finally turning this ship around!

HemiEd
05-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I just heard a big crashing sound, I think it was jwhit, he had the big one after reading this.

milkman
05-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Carls finally turning this ship around!

The ship sank.

He's building a new one.

kstater
05-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Carl threaten to yank the press pass again? This virtual fellatio is a little over the top.

Deberg_1990
05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Nice try Goatboy but you dont understand.

The Chiefs could win the Super Bowl in the next few years, Carl could cure cancer and single handidly pull us out of Iraq and the fanbase would still be calling for his head.

Hes built up way too many ill-feelings with the fans over 20 years.

Rain Man
05-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Fire Carl and Herm.

Guru
05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Carl, thank you for putting the Chiefs back on the map. Now, GO AWAY!!!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Branden Albert being compared to Bill Roaf before he's played a single game.

:spock:

milkman
05-03-2008, 02:22 PM

I've never fully understood this whole "you can't compare young player A to established player B" thing.

You aren't saying he's as good.

All that's being said is that similiarities in natural talent, in physical makeup are there to be drawn.

Vegas_Dave
05-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I've never fully understood this whole "you can't compare young player A to established player B" thing.

All that's being said is that similiarities in natural talent, in physical makeup are there to be drawn.

I agree. Actually, when I watch Albert play, his style reminds me very much of Roaf. The way he blocks out in space especially.

BigRock
05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5440/asskissng1.gif

StcChief
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Are all draftee's signed and ready to play..... Job not done.

Sticking to guns with Miami is his job. taking 19 years to have a few playoff appearances?

Rebuilding this team that should have been done 4 years ago.

Adept Havelock
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
After reading that, I'd just like to say:

Carl...GFY! :thumb:

jrowe
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
That's written by that douche CE Wendler. I make it a point to avoid reading anything he writes. Usually just poor opinion articles using - basically a synopsis of the average fan board. I hope WPI doesn't pay him anything.

kstater
05-03-2008, 03:19 PM
That's written by that douche CE Wendler. I make it a point to avoid reading anything he writes. Usually just poor opinion articles using - basically a synopsis of the average fan board. I hope WPI doesn't pay him anything.

Gee, I wonder who this is? ROFL

blueballs
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
The author blew it in the first line
I like to think I have my finger on the pulse of Chiefs Nation
no need to read further

stlchiefs
05-03-2008, 03:43 PM
The fact the Jets may not like their current coach has no relation to how good of a coach Herm is. The two are complete irrelevant to each other.

Chief Wiggum
05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Goatse, your article is like saying since Hitler brought back Germany from a severe depression he deserves some credit. Do the things Carl has done outweigh the things he has done bad? We don't even know what role Carl had in the draft - how can we give him props. OK, he hired Bill K. (seems to be a pretty good move) but he also hired Herm and mortgaged the team's future by letting Vermeil make 1 decent push for a SB.

Sorry man, on this one I respectively disagree. Carl gets no props from me until he steps down, but that will never happen because he's an egomaniacal maniac and won't leave until he dies or is forced out.

L.A. Chieffan
05-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Goatse, your article is like saying since Hitler brought back Germany from a severe depression he deserves some credit. Do the things Carl has done outweigh the things he has done bad? We don't even know what role Carl had in the draft - how can we give him props. OK, he hired Bill K. (seems to be a pretty good move) but he also hired Herm and mortgaged the team's future by letting Vermeil make 1 decent push for a SB.

Sorry man, on this one I respectively disagree. Carl gets no props from me until he steps down, but that will never happen because he's an egomaniacal maniac and won't leave until he dies or is forced out.

Fake fan. Go follow the Patriots Mr. Fairweather.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd like to think that you would write more quality articles and less hand job oriented fluff pieces...

Chief Wiggum
05-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Fake fan. Go follow the Patriots Mr. Fairweather.

Fairweather..seriously? How you figure?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Because it's piss poor attribution, which is a hallmark of journalism. Saying that Albert could be a HOF LT is a ridiculous comparison to make before he's played a game.

The journalist should be someone with more knowledge than joe schmoe, not someone making wild and uneducated speculation.

InChiefsHell
05-03-2008, 04:09 PM

Errr..."Bill" Roaf?? Double :spock: :spock:

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Errr..."Bill" Roaf?? Double :spock: :spock:

It's just something I do. I also call Croyle JB or John from time to time.

kstater
05-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Fairweather..seriously? How you figure?

I'm fairly confident he was using sarcasm. Coming out of lurking mode it might take a while for your meter to warm up.

Chief Wiggum
05-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm fairly confident he was using sarcasm. Coming out of lurking mode it might take a while for your meter to warm up.

Normally I'm pretty good at picking that up, but the transition from lurkerdome to "regular" is a 12 step process. Haven't gotten to the sarcasm step yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be a bitch...

el borracho
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Fire Carl and Herm.

Fire 52-60 and 73-71 without Marty.

Count Alex's Losses
05-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Because it's piss poor attribution, which is a hallmark of journalism. Saying that Albert could be a HOF LT is a ridiculous comparison to make before he's played a game.

That's why he was drafted though. Because the CHIEFS believe he is a franchise left tackle. I wasn't necessarily saying he was going to be one.

If he's a bust then Carl gets raked over the coals for spending two picks on him...not to mention JA.

keg in kc
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that this article went over like a baby ruth floating in a pool.

Count Alex's Losses
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Carl threaten to yank the press pass again? This virtual fellatio is a little over the top.

You keep posting this over and over again. The Chiefs have never threatened to revoke our credentials.

I'm just more positive during the offseason and more negative during the year.

Rausch
05-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Easier that way. Not hard to gauge the pulse of the fan base...

noa
05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I was going to say "And Mussolini made the trains run on time" but Snopes says it isn't true.

milkman
05-03-2008, 05:46 PM

The journalist should be someone with more knowledge than joe schmoe, not someone making wild and uneducated speculation.

When I watched Albert, I saw a guy who is big, fast, moves and finishes in space, and has dancer's feet.

All things that I would attribute to Willie Roaf (except the fast part).

It's easier to say "potentionally the next Willie Roaf" than to write all of that out.

Deberg_1990
05-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Dude, relax

Every team in the NFL thinks they just drafted the next Hall of Famer in the 1st round. Heck, 5th rounders even. Ever see the post draft interviews??

Any NFL GM: "Yea, he was the guy we had targeted all along. Extremely pleased he fell to us. We got him in the 5th, but he was graded as a 2nd rounder" ROFL

Logical
05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
You keep posting this over and over again. The Chiefs have never threatened to revoke our credentials.

I'm just more positive during the offseason and more negative during the year.:spock::rolleyes::shake::eek::doh!:

Logical
05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Well you managed to fill up a lot of paragraphs with grammatically correct writing. I will give you credit for that, amazing considering your delusional state.

oaklandhater
05-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Your a homer all year Gochiefs you sell more shit then any one else on this board.

Bowser
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
The Chiefs pulled a fantastic draft, but that doesn't take away the fact that Carl has GM'd an NFL team that has won three playoff games in nineteen years. Carl should have stepped away when Gunther washed out as our head coach.

milkman
05-03-2008, 06:47 PM
The Chiefs pulled a fantastic draft, but that doesn't take away the fact that Carl has GM'd an NFL team that has won three playoff games in nineteen years. Carl should have stepped away when Gunther washed out as our head coach.

When Marty quit would have been better.

Bowser
05-03-2008, 06:50 PM

True.

That still amazes me - three playoff wins in nineteen years. The Giants won more last season. Carl has to be one of the luckiest f*cks around to land a GM job under Lamar Hunt. Him and Steadman both.

Deberg_1990
05-03-2008, 06:51 PM

If only he would have quit when Marv Levy left....

milkman
05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
True.

That still amazes me - three playoff wins in nineteen years. The Giants won more last season. Carl has to be one of the luckiest f*cks around to land a GM job under Lamar Hunt. Him and Steadman both.

While Carl has overseen a lot more regualar season wins in his 19 years, he only has 3 more playoff wins than Steadman did in his previous 17 years.

And Steadman was in on building those SB teams of the 60s, so you can understand how he might have been given some rope.

But Carl never earned this much rope.

Bwana
05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Dear Carl:

Mr. Flopnuts
05-03-2008, 07:10 PM
It's a good article Clay. Carl does deserve some credit for this draft. Not enough to keep him past his current deal, but some credit none the less.

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I give Carl credit for working for idiots who don't have the nads to fire his arese............give Carl creditROFLROFLROFLROFL

J Diddy
05-03-2008, 07:52 PM

hello

your reading wpi

Count Alex's Losses
05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Well you managed to fill up a lot of paragraphs with grammatically correct writing. I will give you credit for that, amazing considering your delusional state.

LOL I will take that as a compliment. ROFL

Cormac
05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Jesus Christ Gretz. You stole GoChiefs password. I never knew you had it in you.

the Talking Can
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Carl gets credit for failing for 15 years before getting the bright idea to rebuild?

Most franchises get credit for winning...but we're the Chiefs...

oaklandhater
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
True.

Another reason I dont understand all the love for Lamar Hunt he was really a horrible owner.

milkman
05-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Another reason I dont understand all the love for Lamar Hunt he was really a horrible owner.

It's hard to hate a guy whose most negative attributes, at least publicly, seemed to be loyalty and patience.

oaklandhater
05-03-2008, 10:42 PM
It's hard to hate a guy whose most negative attributes, at least publicly, seemed to be loyalty and patience.

Blind loyalty and too much patience has been a thorn in the chiefs franchise for far to long.

KcMizzou
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Blind loyalty and too much patience has been a thorn in the chiefs franchise for far to long.I think you have to look at the big picture. Lamar Hunt was one of the best things that ever happened to KC... and pro football, for that matter.

I understand the frustration, but in my mind, Lamar deserves the utmost respect.

milkman
05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I think you have to look at the big picture. Lamar Hunt was one of the best things that ever happened to KC... and pro football, for that matter.

I understand the frustration, but in my mind, Lamar deserves the utmost respect.

You're right.

He does deserve respect.

But at some point, you had to begin to question if his loyalty and patience went to far.

KcMizzou
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
You're right.

He does deserve respect.

But at some point, you had to begin to question if his loyalty and patience went to far.Sure. But that's over now. It's on Clark. (and he's got a blank slate, IMO) I'd rather not sully the man's good name. He's a legend.

Count Alex's Losses
05-03-2008, 11:45 PM
In fact, Carl had the ultimate foresight - to start Chris Terry, John Welbourn, Casey Wiegmann, Damon Huard and Ty Law and to draft Justin Medlock and sign Eddie Drummond.

Without those key contributors, the Chiefs don't finish 4-12 and Glenn Dorsey doesn't fall into KC's lap at #5.

Truly, Carl deserves the utmost credit.