PDA

View Full Version : Football Cedric Benson Arrested..

thebrad84
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/05/04/benson.bears.ap/index.html

Benson arrested for boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest

AUSTIN (AP) -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson faces criminal charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

Authorities say Benson was operating a 30-foot boat carrying about 15 passengers on Lake Travis on Saturday when he was stopped, then failed a field sobriety test. Officials say an officer had to use pepper spray to subdue Benson.

Travis County Sheriff's Department spokesman Roger Wade says Benson was freed from jail on a $14,500 bond Sunday morning.

The 25-year-old Benson was the Bears' first-round pick in 2005 after starring at the University of Texas.

Basileus777
05-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Well I think this seals it, he is a bust.

Demonpenz
05-04-2008, 11:22 AM
authorities said benson tried to run away but was tripped up by a 55 year old cop

thebrad84
05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
More from ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

Bears' Benson charged with boating while intoxicated, resisting arrest

AUSTIN, Texas -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson failed a sobriety test while operating a 30-foot boat, then resisted arrest before being hit with pepper spray and dragged ashore by officers.

Cedric Benson

Benson

Benson faces charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest after the incident Saturday night on Lake Travis, Travis County Sheriff's Department spokesman Roger Wade said.

Both charges are misdemeanors.

Benson was released from jail early Sunday on a $14,500 bond. A call to Benson's agent was not immediately returned.

Benson was operating the boat with 15 passengers aboard when he was stopped by a Lower Colorado River Authority officer for a random safety inspection. He failed a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and was uncooperative when the officer tried to take him ashore, the authority said.

"When Benson did not pass the test, he presented himself as a threat to the officer and argued about whether or not he would be taken to land to have a follow-up field sobriety test performed on land and refused to put on a life jacket," the authority said in a statement.

The officer had to use pepper spray to subdue Benson. He then refused to leave the officer's boat and authorities had to drag him to a car to be taken to the Travis County jail, the authority said.

Benson has had legal problems before.

He was sentenced to eight days in jail in 2003 for a misdemeanor trespassing charge after forcing his way into an apartment to look for a reported stolen TV. In 2002, misdemeanor drug and alcohol charges against him were dropped.

Benson rushed for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at the University of Texas, going for 1,000 yards in four straight seasons.

The 25-year-old has done little since the Bears took him with the fourth pick of the 2005 draft.

As a rookie he couldn't beat out Thomas Jones and rushed for 272 yards in nine games. He was more effective the next season while sharing time with Jones, going for six touchdowns and 647 yards.

Last year, Benson took over as the featured back after Jones was traded away. He rushed for 674 yards, four touchdowns and 3.4 yards a carry before going on injured reserve in November.

In three years with the Bears, Benson has rushed for 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns, averaging 3.8 yards a carry. He's also missed 13 games.

dj56dt58
05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
you cant be on your boat while your intoxicated? **** that..who doesn't go out on their boat and drink a few?

Hydrae
05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
you cant be on your boat while your intoxicated? **** that..who doesn't go out on their boat and drink a few?

It is a huge issue down here and they run ads on tv all the time warning you about the dangers of boating while intoxicated.

Rain Man
05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Wow, good thing for the Bears that he's a bust anyway.

el borracho
05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
"Be on" is not the same as "operate" nor is it the same as "operate with 15 passengers aboard."

Frazod
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, this may well cement his ass being kicked out the door up here. The Bears drafted a RB in the second round and I think his time was running out anyway.

Benson is not well liked up here.

kstater
05-04-2008, 11:38 AM
"Be on" is not the same as "operate" nor is it the same as "operate with 15 passengers aboard."

ding, ding, ding.

CosmicPal
05-04-2008, 11:44 AM

We have a family home in the Ozarks and every summer we'd boat. For a long time, it was the norm to be boating and drinking. But, the past several years, they've been clamping down hard on drinking while boating.

I've seen some pretty horrific boating accidents on the lake during those years.

One time, while I was out on our boat, taking friends water-skiing, one of my friends went down and as I turned the boat around to get him, we watched in horror as this boat damn near ran him over. He was waving his ski out of the water, but the boat driver and several passengers still didn't see him. I thought he was dead, but somehow he managed to miss the boat. As soon as we got him out of the water, we chased after the boat and when I caught up with them- it was plainly obvious these guys were hammered. I was furious.

We had a basic rule in our family. If you wanted to drive the boat- you couldn't drink. Everyone else though- you could drink all you want.

dj56dt58
05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
We have a family home in the Ozarks and every summer we'd boat. For a long time, it was the norm to be boating and drinking. But, the past several years, they've been clamping down hard on drinking while boating.

I've seen some pretty horrific boating accidents on the lake during those years.

One time, while I was out on our boat, taking friends water-skiing, one of my friends went down and as I turned the boat around to get him, we watched in horror as this boat damn near ran him over. He was waving his ski out of the water, but the boat driver and several passengers still didn't see him. I thought he was dead, but somehow he managed to miss the boat. As soon as we got him out of the water, we chased after the boat and when I caught up with them- it was plainly obvious these guys were hammered. I was furious.

We had a basic rule in our family. If you wanted to drive the boat- you couldn't drink. Everyone else though- you could drink all you want.

Ive only been on a boat a few times(when I was really young), I just figured it was normal to drink a few while fishing on your boat

Sure-Oz
05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Should've drafted Mendenhall bears

Bensons another bears RB bust

Basileus777
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM

They did take Forte in the 2nd.

ferrarispider95
05-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Drinking and driving a boat don't mix. I don't even hit the lake midday, only mornings and evenings. Of course, I am also looking for smooth water to wakeboard.

Demonpenz
05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I have been a river rat all my life. Boating and drinking is a disaster not only for the driver but people fallover overboard hitting their had on shit drowning and stuff. especially because it is ususally during the day and you don't pass out easily you keep on drinking. One word of advice even though the boat maybe in nuetral the prop still spins

HolmeZz
05-04-2008, 12:09 PM
The dreaded BWI.

blueballs
05-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Jared just found his chaufeur

Herzig
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
authorities said benson tried to run away but was tripped up by a 55 year old cop

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Any wonder why he turned out to be a bust?LMAO

Mile High Mania
05-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Forte looks like a good pick now... wonder if Shaun Alexander will be wearing a CHI jersey.

Chief Chief
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Ya gotta wonder how many of the 15 on board were Viking players and hookahs...

milkman
05-04-2008, 02:42 PM

They thought it was more important to draft a LT to replace John Tait.

Basileus777
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
They thought it was more important to draft a LT to replace John Tait.

Which was smart. You can find good RBs in the 2nd round like Forte. LTs, not so much.

milkman
05-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Which was smart. You can find good RBs in the 2nd round like Forte. LTs, not so much.

I posted that primarily to point out that the Bears would rather have someone else at LT other than Tait.

Skip Towne
05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Any wonder why he turned out to be a bust?LMAO

:LOL:

KCUnited
05-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Whitlock:

It's becoming more and more obvious which type of athletes are becoming problematic with water recreation. He's a millionaire, why does he think he needs to possess a watercraft unless he's looking for trouble. When I see water, I bounce.

stlchiefs
05-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Whitlock:

It's becoming more and more obvious which type of athletes are becoming problematic with water recreation. He's a millionaire, why does he think he needs to possess a watercraft unless he's looking for trouble. When I see water, I bounce.

Are you saying Whitlock can't swim? That's Racist. :shake::evil:

AustinChief
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
In his defense, the boat cops down her are absolute dicks. I will wait and here his side of the story before I pass judgement... they are THAT bad down here.

(Imagine semi-literate mall cops with boats)

Kraut
05-04-2008, 05:25 PM
We don't know the entire story but boating and drinking are bad news. If he did resist then he is just down right stupid. If your busted for one thing deal with that and not compound it with another major charge.:shake:

tmax63
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds like the Vikings need to teach this guy how to boat. Or else they got robes on before being boarded.

HolmeZz
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080504/capt.c0c185f2c3b540baac253ea3f4a11587.bears_benson_arrested_football_txmo101.jpg