:cuss::cuss:

at least the warrenty was extended :shrug:

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah... but damn.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
This belongs in the Media forum.

I updated the 360 thread with the bad news of my RRoD over the weekend... After playing GTA for 8 hours.

I feel your pain. I've been waiting on M$ to send me my ****ing coffin.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 10:05 AM
This belongs in the Media forum.

I updated the 360 thread with the bad news of my RRoD over the weekend... After playing GTA for 8 hours.

I feel your pain. I've been waiting on M$ to send me my ****ing coffin.

I know it belongs in the media forum... but I hate the media forum, so I put it her based on principle.

:harumph:

and

:p

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 10:05 AM
shut up fag
Moran. Don't be retarted. Your and idiot.

Guru
05-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Stay away from GTA IV it is bricking 360's everywhere!!!!

xbarretx
05-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Moran. Don't be retarted. Your and idiot.

just toss some antifreeze! thats the best way to teach someone a lesson :P

Lzen
05-05-2008, 10:12 AM

What????

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2008, 10:16 AM
What????

It's true!

jidar
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
actually it's just exposing 360s that otherwise weren't getting used enough to heat up and cause the RRoD failure.

Guru
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
What????

Do a search.

GTA IV RRoD

beach tribe
05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Didn't they fix the problem? I bought mine about 9 mo ago. I never play more than a couple hrs. Should I be worried about this?

El Jefe
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Didn't they fix the problem? I bought mine about 9 mo ago. I never play more than a couple hrs. Should I be worried about this?

I am the same with my usage. I haven't used mine in a long time, but I usually only play for a couple hours.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I've had mine for a year and three months. Rarely do I play every day, and even more rarely do I play for more than a couple of hours.

They didn't really "fix" the problem, as much as they just acknowledged the fact that it "is" a problem. They extended the warranty on all Xboxes three years past the purchase date.

beach tribe
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I am the same with my usage. I haven't used mine in a long time, but I usually only play for a couple hours.

About 1 or maybe 2 games of that piece o shit madden 08 is the extent of my usage.

Guru
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM

You are safer if you purchased after August 2007 when they added the HDMI slots to the premiums.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 11:41 AM
They're shipping me the Xbox coffin, prepaid. Should get either a repaired console, a refurbished console or even a new one.

Frankly, I'm hoping for the new one - I really want the HDMI.

Guru
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
They're shipping me the Xbox coffin, prepaid. Should get either a repaired console, a refurbished console or even a new one.

I would imagine that the old units would be replaced rather than repaired. You should get the HDMI. Just an assumption of course and we all know what that means.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Did you call them or do it online?
I have a service request number but have yet get a confirmation about the coffin.

I did it from their support site.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Did you call them or do it online?
I have a service request number but have yet get a confirmation about the coffin.

I did it from their support site.

I called them. The guy said I should receive the box in 3-5 business days, so hopefully by the end of the week.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I would imagine that the old units would be replaced rather than repaired. You should get the HDMI. Just an assumption of course and we all know what that means.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I did something stupid...I got the unplayable disc error (which was an easy fix) and just opened my box up and fixed it myself (thus voiding the warranty)...I just bought GTAIV...sometimes, my friends and I will play Halo 3 for 15 straight hours...no joke...and I have yet to ever have the RROD after 1 year of having the 360...should I be worried GTAIV will do me in? What exactly causes the RROD? I have my XBOX propped up using DVD's on each side so it can properly ventilate and not overheat...is overheating the issue?

One last question...when you get the RROD, are you sending in your old box before they send out the new one? I'm pretty pissed off I voided my warranty but I didn't want to wait a month before they fixed my XBOX when I could do it myself in an hour...

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I did something stupid...I got the unplayable disc error (which was an easy fix) and just opened my box up and fixed it myself (thus voiding the warranty)...I just bought GTAIV...sometimes, my friends and I will play Halo 3 for 15 straight hours...no joke...and I have yet to ever have the RROD after 1 year of having the 360...should I be worried GTAIV will do me in? What exactly causes the RROD? I have my XBOX propped up using DVD's on each side so it can properly ventilate and not overheat...is overheating the issue?

One last question...when you get the RROD, are you sending in your old box before they send out the new one? I'm pretty pissed off I voided my warranty but I didn't want to wait a month before they fixed my XBOX when I could do it myself in an hour...

Yup, cracking the case if you're worried about the warranty is pretty dumb.

The repair process is this: I called, they're sending me an empty box (coffin). I'll send the dead xbox back in the coffin, MS will either fix or replace the console and send it back to me. Whole process should take 1-3 weeks.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Yup, cracking the case if you're worried about the warranty is pretty dumb.

The repair process is this: I called, they're sending me an empty box (coffin). I'll send the dead xbox back in the coffin, MS will either fix or replace the console and send it back to me. Whole process should take 1-3 weeks.

:cuss:

I wish I wasn't so impatient...

I wish I would've gotten the RROD instead of the GD unplayable disc error...it was just too easy of a fix...and by the time I opened the case (tougher than it sounds) I was too far to not remove the warranty sticker...I'm just an idiot sometimes...

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
maybe I'll use my stimulus check on a new XBOX when my inevitably crashes out now because God hates me...

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
maybe I'll use my stimulus check on a new XBOX when my inevitably crashes out now because God hates me...

You might/might not get the RRoD. Yeah, cuss yourself if/when it breaks. But until then, just keep playin'. You might be fine. Certainly not EVERY console is failing.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
if anyone wants to play me live my name is CH1LD M0L3ST3RR...

=)

Fruit Ninja
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Its not GTAIV thats killing anything, its that xbox hardware sucks. I have 30 hours in GTAIV and my shit works. Game is just to good to pass up.

Valiant
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Just buy a new one and switch them out.. Most customer service people are r-tards..

If you are worried about serials not matching up?? Then hopefully you have a all-in-one printer and buy some sticker paper.. Me I just take stuff up to kinko's to copy and print..

Bam you are done.. You get a new unit(not refurbished) and the store sends the broken unit back to microsoft..

I'm evil I know..

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Just buy a new one and switch them out.. Most customer service people are r-tards..

If you are worried about serials not matching up?? Then hopefully you have a all-in-one printer and buy some sticker paper.. Me I just take stuff up to kinko's to copy and print..

Bam you are done.. You get a new unit(not refurbished) and the store sends the broken unit back to microsoft..

I'm evil I know..

So you are saying to buy a new console and then return the broken one to the store a few days later because you bought it as a gift and that person already had one? (Something along those lines...)

Does that actually work?

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Nothing quite like consumer fraud.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
So you are saying to buy a new console and then return the broken one to the store a few days later because you bought it as a gift and that person already had one? (Something along those lines...)

Does that actually work?

I wouldn't do this but since you've already ****ed yourself by opening the case, it may save you some $$. Then again, your xbox may not red ring.
Yes that is what he is saying. The bold probably isn't necessary.
If you decide to go through with this, do it at walmart.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Be careful. My wife used to be security at Wal-Mart. Someone from electronics is supposed to come check the console out - and if that person notices that you've brought in an old-style and you're buying a premium, you're going to get arrested.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
They don't always check, and they don't always notice, but it's a risk you should be aware of. Wal-Mart will most definitely press charges if you're caught.

QuikSsurfer
05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Be careful. My wife used to be security at Wal-Mart. Someone from electronics is supposed to come check the console out - and if that person notices that you've brought in an old-style and you're buying a premium, you're going to get arrested.

Although I've already stated that I don't think this is the proper route...
The people they (walmart) hire for their electronics dept wouldn't have a clue in knowing how to tell the difference between a core/arcade/premium.
"Apparently this fellow brought in Core system and took one of our premiums with the falcon chip" not gonna happen.

Swanman
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
You are safer if you purchased after August 2007 when they added the HDMI slots to the premiums.

Microsoft finally just put a new motherboard into the 360. The original motherboard wasn't properly heatsinked, if I remember correctly, so the processor would fry the motherboard. Hopefully the new motherboards fixed that problem.

If MS really wants to keep customers happy (I don't think they give a damn at this point), they would do what Nintendo does with faulty Wii's. If the problem is a widespread problem (as Wii had with some launch consoles' GPU overheating), they have a process where they send you a new Wii and provide a box for you to send back your broken Wii (you get charged $250 if you don't send the old Wii back). It's silly to make your consumers wait 1-3 weeks for a console that was faulty out of the factory.

Guru
05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Its not GTAIV thats killing anything, its that xbox hardware sucks. I have 30 hours in GTAIV and my shit works. Game is just to good to pass up.

Well, you were also one of the smart ones that properly ventilated your unit too.

I have mine on top of my entertainment center and elevated an extra half inch and a ceiling fan that keeps air moving around it. perfect setup.

picasso
05-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I am so glad I have a PS3.
Carry on!

Adept Havelock
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, you were also one of the smart ones that properly ventilated your unit too.

I have mine on top of my entertainment center and elevated an extra half inch and a ceiling fan that keeps air moving around it. perfect setup.

Yes, Got to keep it cool. I've got mine sitting on a shelf open to all four sides, with a small fan on max blowing on the rear corner whenever it's on. So far, so good.

ChiefsLV
05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I am so glad I have a PS3.
Carry on!

Meh, I've had the new 360 with the modded heatsink since last August and haven't had any issues since and I play the hell out of mine. You must not have the 60gig PS3 with freezing problems when playing GTA IV....:D

Buck
05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
PS3 is teh roXorz!!!!!1

All your base are belong to us

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I've got nothing against the PS3, other than the fact that I don't have one. (yet) And yeah, the 360 hardware issues are inexcusable. I'm on my second, and so far this newer version has been flawless.

The 360's game selection has been great though. It really seems to be hitting it's stride now.

The next game I have my eye on is Soul Calibur. (comes out in June) I've been itching for a good fighting game, and I love that series. I only wish the 360 got Vader, and the PS3 got Yoda, instead of vice versa. :D

Buck
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I've got nothing against the PS3, other than the fact that I don't have one. (yet) And yeah, the 360 hardware issues are inexcusable. I'm on my second, and so far this newer version has been flawless.

The 360's game selection has been great though. It really seems to be hitting it's stride now.

The next game I have my eye on is Soul Calibur. I've been itching for a good fighting game, and I love that series. I only wish the 360 got Vader, and the PS3 got Yoda, instead of vice versa. :D

Yeah, the PS3 needs about another year or two before it will have good titles coming out every month.

However, in the long run, I think the PS3 is the way to go.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 10:07 PM
PS3 is teh roXorz!!!!!1

All your base are belong to us

I'm still playing Brigadine (best PS1 game EVARS!1!) and FFX.

I could play FFX 100x and still love it. It's the "Citizen Kane" of RPG's...

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm still playing Brigadine (best PS1 game EVARS!1!) and FFX.

I could play FFX 100x and still love it. It's the "Citizen Kane" of RPG's...I want a PSP just to play FF Tactics again.

ChiefsLV
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, the PS3 needs about another year or two before it will have good titles coming out every month.

If they continue to drop in price I may pick one up in the future. I really liked that Uncharted game for the hour or so I got to play it at my friend's. I don't know that they have any other exclusives on the immediate horizon that I'd want. Lookin forward to Silent Hill 5, Fall Out 3, Resident Evil 5, Left 4 Dead, ya I know, all zombie games.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
If they continue to drop in price I may pick one up in the future. I really liked that Uncharted game for the hour or so I got to play it at my friend's. I don't know that they have any other exclusives on the immediate horizon that I'd want. Lookin forward to Silent Hill 5, Fall Out 3, Resident Evil 5, Left 4 Dead, ya I know, all zombie games.According to tonight's X-Play, Left 4 Dead will start out on 360 and PC. They said PS3 owners will have to hope for good sales, so there'll be a PS3 port.

The main reason I want a PS3 is for the RPGs. Sony's always had more (and generally better) RPGs. And no, I don't mean rocket propelled grenades. :p

TinyEvel
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM

Cmon, Cro,
June 12: Metal Gear Solid 4
September: Little Big Planet
September: SOCOM Confrontation (specific to online multiplayer with a SICK website full of stats and data)
November: Resistance 2 (great story single player, and 64 player online)
November: Motorstorm Pacific Rift

all PS3 exclusives. Plus if you have a PSP you can wake up your console and play your PS3 console game from any WiFi spot on your PSP (coming soon)

And no RRoD.

PBJ

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Cmon, Cro,
June 12: Metal Gear Solid 4
September: Little Big Planet
September: SOCOM Confrontation (specific to online multiplayer with a SICK website full of stats and data)
November: Resistance 2 (great story single player, and 64 player online)
November: Motorstorm Pacific Rift

all PS3 exclusives. Plus if you have a PSP you can wake up your console and play your PS3 console game from any WiFi spot on your PSP (coming soon)

And no RRoD.

PBJYour opinion doesn't count. You're on the payroll. :p

Guru
05-05-2008, 11:52 PM

I most likely won't drop for the PS3 until my 360 dies out of warranty.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM

The next game I have my eye on is Soul Calibur. (comes out in June) I've been itching for a good fighting game, and I love that series. I only wish the 360 got Vader, and the PS3 got Yoda, instead of vice versa. :D

Realistically, no one is going to play seriously with those characters. I do wish we were getting Darth though :)
I mean, Nightmare vs. Yoda/Darth --- that's ugly.

KcMizzou
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Realistically, no one is going to play seriously with those characters. I do wish we were getting Darth though :)
I mean, Nightmare vs. Yoda/Darth --- that's ugly.Yeah, I know... but still.

keg in kc
05-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I have a copy of Mass Effect for 360 that I won from the scifi channel that I still haven't played yet. 'cause I don't have a 360.

Inconvenient, that.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a copy of Mass Effect for 360 that I won from the scifi channel that I still haven't played yet. 'cause I don't have a 360.

Inconvenient, that.

So win a 360.

KcMizzou
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM

Inconvenient, that.Well, when you get one... after Mass Effect, pick up GTA4...lol