PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Auto advice for non-mechanic here.

jidar
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I own a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I really like, but it's old and has 120k miles on it and the automatic transmission seems to be going out.
In the mornings it often takes several seconds before it will shift into reverse after I've already shifted it myself, sometimes I've seen it take upwards of half a minute or so of me sitting there waiting for the thing to go into reverse. Also it's been slow to shift while driving around town (it very rarely gets driven at more than 30mph as I live in a small town and we have a better vehicle for out of town driving). Anyway I figure this means the transmission is going out so I ask:
1: Could I just get the transmission fixed somehow or rebuilt? If so what's that going to cost and is it worth it?
and
2: If I have to have the transmission replaced, what's that cost.. and uh.. is it worth it?

Thanks!

El Jefe
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
PM me ASAP, I know something that could save you a lot of money, at our shop we see Jeeps with the same problems all the time.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I have a similar issue with my 1999 Ford Explorer, though mine is not to the extent as yours. Mine is worse on cold days. Hopefully, I won't have too many of those anymore.

kepp
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Mine is worse on cold days.

Antifreeze

Radar Chief
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Antifreeze

Sugar in the gas tank. /Hog farmer

HemiEd
05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
PM me ASAP, I know something that could save you a lot of money, at our shop we see Jeeps with the same problems all the time.

Pump fatigue? I am sure no tranny man, always yank them out and take them in to a tranny shop.

BigVE
05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
If it is a bad transmission it will not be cheap. Rebuilds are in the 1200-1600 dollar range (depends), new ones are higher still. I would take it to a reputable mechanic to see if it may be something OTHER than needing a new transmission. Good luck.

penguinz
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
www.jeepforum.com

Hydrae
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
First off, I am assuming you have checked the fluid levels. Running low on tranny fluid will cause it to shift slowly and at odd times.

Second, the cost to repair/replace it will depend on whether this is a 4X4 or not. Obviously a 4X4 will cost quite a bit more.

Skip Towne
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Before spending any money on the tranny, see if you can find a can of BG transmission treatment. It is in a brown and yellow can. That stuff will cure about 50% of tranny troubles. I'm not sure if they still make that stuff. Ask a dealer who handles BG products.

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/articles/jeep-grand-cherokee-transmission.shtml

first goog link - doubt it helps.