PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dwayne Bowe : All-Pro Receiver, or One year wonder

royr17
05-06-2008, 03:04 AM
I bring this topic up because its a interesting topic to discuss.

The last WR that was ranked highly in the draft coming out of LSU was a WR that Dick Vermeil was impressed with, that name being Michael Clayton.

Michael Clayton had a great rookie year, well I take that back, an outstanding rookie year. But this is what his stats are since his rookie year.

Here are his stats from Rookie Year and Up :
2004 - 80 Reception, 1193 Yards Receiving, 7 TDS
2005 - 32 Reception, 372 Yards Receiving, 0 TDS
2006 - 33 Reception, 356 Yards Receiving, 1 TD
2007 - 22 Reception, 301 Yars Receiving, 0 TDS

Now that is interesting to me cause he did so good his rookie year but hasnt done jack since then.

Another player is former Kansas City Chief Eddie Kennison in his first couple seasons in the NFL :
1996 - 54 Reception, 924 receiving yards, 9 TDS
1997 - 25 Reception, 404 receiving yards, 0 TDS
1998 - 17 Reception, 234 receiving yards, 1 TD

Then got traded to New Orleans where in his first season there put up 835 yards receiving on 61 receptions, and 4 tds.

So to me it seems that there is a curse that goes around and hits LSU receivers cause they start off so great early in their career and then they tally off.

So guys I wouldnt exactly get all excited about Dwayne Bowe being the answer to our prayers for a # 1 receiver just yet, he still has alot to prove before he gets there, come back and see me in 5 years when he's still in the league if he's still in the league and then we will know then if we truly have a # 1 WR, hell we might know it after 3 years, but 1 and 2 years doesnt answer everything you need to know.

kcchiefsus
05-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Also, while we're at it.

Penn State runningbacks have a history of not producing in the NFL. We should not expect Larry Johnson to ever be anything special.

Penn State also has a recent history of busts on the defensive line. Must mean it was pretty stupid to take Tamba Hali.

royr17
05-06-2008, 03:19 AM
No. My argument is simple, until he has proven otherwise we dont know what we have in Dwayne Bowe, sure he had a great rookie year, but just because he had a great rookie year doesnt mean that hey he's the answer to our problems at Receiver.

Im just seeing based on what I have seen with Michael Clayton and Eddie Kennison, I would just get excited just yet.

There is a difference the argument about LJ, when he got onto the field he proved it, but we cant expect something big out of Dwayne Bowe until we have seen him play for 2 or 3 years then we can pass judgement that he is in fact our # 1 WR.

Just my opinion. He could be a one and done player that had a great rookie year just like Michael Clayton but I pray that is not the case, cause I think Dwayne Bowe is a outstanding football player I just know that there is chance that it could turn out that way.

I pray that it doesnt ever turn out that way and he turns into the 2nd best WR to play for the Chiefs outside of Otis Taylor.

Miles
05-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Three vary different WR's that just happened to be from the same school. Neither of the three had the same coaches when the broke out in college either.

Chiefs=Good
05-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Dude it works both ways, whose to say he dosnt go for 1500 yards and 12 touchdowns nobody knows. Yet from what we have seen, theres more chance of a repeat than not... Plus Clayton is a very one dimesional player, purley big. Although so is Dwayne Bowe he has the size, suprising speed, fantastic run after the catch ability, tenacity and hands that can catch anything...

BigRock
05-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Didn't Eddie and Clayton both get injured after their rookie year?

Miles
05-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Didn't Eddie and Clayton both get injured after their rookie year?

Clayton definitly had injury problems in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. I don't know as much about Kennison but recall he had nagging injuries.

CoMoChief
05-06-2008, 06:41 AM
He's shown he can be one helluva playmaker.

But it's unfair to comment on this issue since we have no Oline to block for a QB that currently right now can't get him the ball.

nychief
05-06-2008, 06:45 AM

actually. no. its not.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I guess thats it then, since hes from LSU, he can only have 1 good year.

Demonpenz
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
we have to have someone to throw once TG is triple covered He will get his numbers

Fat Elvis
05-06-2008, 07:56 AM

The last WR that was ranked highly in the draft coming out of LSU was a WR that Dick Vermeil was impressed with, that name being Michael Clayton.

Michael Clayton had a great rookie year, well I take that back, an outstanding rookie year. But this is what his stats are since his rookie year.

Here are his stats from Rookie Year and Up :
2004 - 80 Reception, 1193 Yards Receiving, 7 TDS
2005 - 32 Reception, 372 Yards Receiving, 0 TDS
2006 - 33 Reception, 356 Yards Receiving, 1 TD
2007 - 22 Reception, 301 Yars Receiving, 0 TDS

Now that is interesting to me cause he did so good his rookie year but hasnt done jack since then.

Another player is former Kansas City Chief Eddie Kennison in his first couple seasons in the NFL :
1996 - 54 Reception, 924 receiving yards, 9 TDS
1997 - 25 Reception, 404 receiving yards, 0 TDS
1998 - 17 Reception, 234 receiving yards, 1 TD

Then got traded to New Orleans where in his first season there put up 835 yards receiving on 61 receptions, and 4 tds.

So to me it seems that there is a curse that goes around and hits LSU receivers cause they start off so great early in their career and then they tally off.

So guys I wouldnt exactly get all excited about Dwayne Bowe being the answer to our prayers for a # 1 receiver just yet, he still has alot to prove before he gets there, come back and see me in 5 years when he's still in the league if he's still in the league and then we will know then if we truly have a # 1 WR, hell we might know it after 3 years, but 1 and 2 years doesnt answer everything you need to know.

Wow. You certainly aren't an LSU reciever whose production has dropped off after thier rookie campaign. You consistantly, year after year, prove you are a total dumbass and douchebag with moronic posts like this.

Chief_in_Commander
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
this is one stupid thread.....just because players from a particular school have struggled after a productive rookie year you don't trust them? That's ridiculous, like going to LSU, USC, KU, or Duke just automatically means that your going to phail. Don't give me that your saying "there's just a chance, no gurantee" well no shit sherlock there is never a gurantee a guy will be good year in or year out, but what college he went to isn't quite what I would be looking for to determine why

dshyne101
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
D.Bowe is Gone Be great!!! And Everyone Hating On LJ Can Suck A Big One!!

blueballs
05-06-2008, 09:02 AM
part of the LSU graduation ceremony involves
walking under ladders and jumping black cats

ChiTown
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
This is just flat out ****ing stupid.

MTG#10
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Crap we should have traded him, we could have had even more draft picks.

ChiefsCountry
05-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Didnt roy jr dog Bowe when we drafted him last year?

Gonzo
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, the cardinals were saying how great Bolden was going to be too. It's a shame he did'nt work out............Wait a minute....:rolleyes:

blueballs
05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
there is some merit
the trend of royr17 threads continues

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Minus the "curses" aspect, the question is valid and has some pretty good stats to back it up.

However, I don't think it applies to Bowe. Reason being: Bowe put up the numbers he did on a team whose O-Line couldn't protect the quarterback. If the quarterback has time, I think Bowe's numbers go up. Of course, barring injury.

Fairplay
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
:bong:

Sure-Oz
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Sly mo pt 2??? ohhh nooozzzzzzz

StcChief
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Bowe looks like the real deal..... no sophmore slump, Darling may be a surprise too.

suds79
05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
While a great rookie season does not guarantee future success (there's always injuries), I would venture to guess that most WRs go on to get better rather than regressing.

For every weird case where a WR had his best year in his rookie season, I probably could name you 3 WRs who went on to get better as their career progressed.

So what am I saying? I think the odds are with us that Dwayne Bowe is the real deal.

blueballs
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Is Clayton the one who bitch slapped Warfield
Tampa Bay isn't known for Offensive prowess

Coach
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
He's shown he can be one helluva playmaker.

But it's unfair to comment on this issue since we have no Oline to block for a QB that currently right now can't get him the ball.

There you go. If the Chiefs had a decent line, and the QB who knows what the hell he's doing, his numbers might have been off the roof.

The bigger question is now, that he is in his 2nd year, sometimes 2nd year players struggle, becuase the opponents have film of him and all that, and they'll make the adjustments. How will Bowe adjust himself to that? That's the question.

el borracho
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Dwayne Bowe : All-Pro Receiver, or One year wonder? I bring this topic up because its a interesting topic to discuss.

I think Bowe is going to be great. I give you my opinion because you wanted to know what I think.

JBucc
05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Forget the numbers, look at the way Bowe played last year. He makes hard catches, goes up for the ball and fights for it, goes down and catches it low, near the sideline, anywhere. He has explosive power, will go over the middle, fights for YAC. He's not exactly benefiting from being surrounded by great offensive talent either. I don't see him being a one year wonder because when the defense adjusts to him he can adjust back and play any way you want him to.

whoman69
05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think that the talent we saw out of Bowe last year is any one year wonder. Problem is, we have even less receiving talent around him than we did last year. Bowe is going to have a lot of double teams out there. Tony is still a great TE but is still a year older and the only other consistent receiver we have out there.

Fat Elvis
05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
So...were you really asking if Rich Scanlon will pwn Bowe?

Brock
05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
A pig in a poke is better than Samie Parker and whoever else the Chiefs had last year.