PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will never have to worry about gas prices...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24458901/

Dude signed a contract with the potential to earn him $100 million. That's great news for my fellow Family Guy fans!!!!

Fish
05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Freakin sweeeet......

Chiefs Pantalones
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
The deal is until 2012. LOTS of Family Guy and new stuff right there!

stlchiefs
05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Nice. Why does the article refer to the show as "Guy" throughout? That got annoying, it's not like Family Guy is 20 words long.

Pennywise
05-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Awesome.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vj_KKrL6k4U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vj_KKrL6k4U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

seclark
05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Awesome.

interesting...my 70 year old mother thinks it's the greatest show on tv. i've never bothered to watch it, since mostly all she watches is turner classic movies, church and shopping network. maybe the old gal's on to something. i'll have to check it out.
sec

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Way f*cking overpaid. Way f*cking overrated.

MTG#10
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Well theres plenty of episodes/seasons of the Simpsons for him to plagiarize, so why not?

I do love Family Guy, its hilarious but MacFarlane is to the Simpsons what Carlos Mencia is to other comedians.

Brock
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Well theres plenty of episodes/seasons of the Simpsons for him to plagiarize, so why not?

I do love Family Guy, its hilarious but MacFarlane is to the Simpsons what Carlos Mencia is to other comedians.

He's doing the Simpsons better than the Simpsons ever did.

MTG#10
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree, its a lot funnier than The Simpsons - its neck and neck with South Park for me. But theres no doubt theres some major plagiarizing going on.

J Diddy
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Way f*cking overpaid. Way f*cking overrated.

way out of your f*cking mind

Rain Man
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
America's greatest export of the 21st century will be crudeness. I'm predicting it now.

DaFace
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
The insane thing is that this is for a show that was CANCELLED a few years ago.

Pitt Gorilla
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
The insane thing is that this is for a show that was CANCELLED a few years ago.Maybe the same thing can happen to Arrested Development.

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
way out of your f*cking mind

Family Guy is shit, particularly the post-cancellation episodes.

The first few seasons were decent but got really old.

Brock
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

ROFL That's ****ed.

Zebedee DuBois
05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
America's greatest export of the 21st century will be crudeness. I'm predicting it now.

What's the ticker symbol for that?

dj56dt58
05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I dont know..it takes quite a bit to fuel a private jet

Spicy McHaggis
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I enjoy Family Guy quite a bit but the Simpsons was about more than just laughs. Groening dealt with life issues without letting things become to heavy by steeping the whole thing in comedy. It started to lose it's way around season 8 or 9, eventually just becoming a celebrity cameo platform.

Speaking of Groening, Futurama rocked too. The episodes where Bender meets god and Fry tries to revive his long lost dog were absolutely great.

TrickyNicky
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Maybe the same thing can happen to Arrested Development.

I guess we'll just have to hope for the movie and see what happens after that. Hurwitz has stated that writing AD is the hardest thing he's ever done and that was the reason why he didn't further negotiations with Showtime.

DT58HOF
05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
i think Family guy is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen

damaticous
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Giggidy! ----am I really the first person who posted this???? Wow.

I hated Family Guy when it first came out but just like the "By Mennon" song (If your a Seinfeld fan you understand) it has grew on me....CaaaaStanza! :)

Bill S Preston
05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
That show is crap.

Rain Man
05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
What's the ticker symbol for that?

FOX.

Hydrae
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
My son likes to claim he knows how to treat women. Just act the opposite of Peter Griffin! :)

eazyb81
05-06-2008, 05:57 PM

It was WAY ahead of its time.

I remember watching about 5 minutes of it during one of the first few episodes and thinking "what the hell is this?".

But after it was cancelled some friends bought the DVDs and we watched it religiously.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
It was WAY ahead of its time.

I remember watching about 5 minutes of it during one of the first few episodes and thinking "what the hell is this?".

But after it was cancelled some friends bought the DVDs and we watched it religiously.

You're talking about The Simpsons?

bowener
05-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Yeah....... but from Fox. That has to be similar to Satan throwing you out of hell.

DJJasonp
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Count me as one who's happy to hear this bit of news.

Since the first season, I've been a huge fan....it's All in the Family, Simpsons, South Park, and more....all wrapped into one show.

Each week I'm shocked at what gets past the censors.....it truly may be the last politically incorrect show on public tv.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I prefer Family Guy over South Park. Although South Park has been pretty good this season.

KcMizzou
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
30 minutes of random pop culture references that have nothing to do with the so-called plot of the episode.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the show now and then too. It's great "short attention span theater".

All in all, I'd rather watch Robot Chicken.

Pablo
05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Family Guy was fresh and entertaining for the first couple of seasons. Then it got cancelled, and I saw the old re-runs on Adult Swim for a year and a half. When it came back, it wasn't nearly as funny. The South Park episode where the manitees select Family Guy quotes...f*cking ace.

South Park > Family Guy, most definately, without question.

And I think this year South Park has been pretty weak, especially compared to the two seasons before this.

SNR
05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Loved Family Guy the first couple of seasons. All of the stuff they've made post-cancellation sucks dick though.

Really, it does. There's absolutely nothing funny about Quagmire saying "giggity" anymore and there's DEFINITELY nothing funny about making a joke about making a joke about Quagmire saying "giggity." The show tries to make fun of itself all the time and it just doesn't work.

And if that weren't bad enough, they made American Dad, which is a ripoff of Family Guy which was a ripoff of the Simpsons.

You know what? The Simpsons are still going strong too. And their new episodes are way better than Family Guy's new episodes.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
South Park jumped the shark years ago.

CoMoChief
05-06-2008, 11:32 PM

WTF?!?! Are you serious?

Not to mention the Simpsons now are in no way even remotely close to as good as the Simpsons 10-15 years ago. Partially because writers for that show have moved on to better things (Conan OBrien and Greg Daniels "The Office")

Carlos Mencia isn't even funny first off. I can't recall him saying or performing anything that has made me laugh the least bit.

Macfarlane adopted the flashback comedy.....big deal. It's not the first time it's happened. Family Guy just takes it to a different level I think.

CoMoChief
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
South Park jumped the shark years ago.

Yeah when they made that movie, it kinda burned out a vast amount of their audience I think.

But the past few seasons of SP have been really really funny to say the least. They are making a comeback. The seasons after the movie were just dogshit, but the comedy in the shows have improved dramatically.

Pablo
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Carlos Mencia isn't even funny first off. I can't recall him saying or performing anything that has made me laugh the least bit.

He's referring to the fact that Carlos Mencia rips off other comedians material much in the same way Family Guy rips off other shows.. It has nothing to do with how funny he is or isn't, he's a thief.

J Diddy
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM

It's amazing how nobody I know thinks of it this way.

Considering fox just gave them a contract that made jared allen look poor, I take it i am not alone.

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Does he do the actual drawings?

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-07-2008, 12:24 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Song Youl Han (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2909154/)</td><td valign="top" nowrap="1"> .... </td><td valign="top">overseas animation director (2 episodes, 2005)</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Fran Doyle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2485182/)</td><td valign="top" nowrap="1"> .... </td><td valign="top">overseas animation supervisor (14 episodes, 2001-2002)</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Doug Williams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0930486/)</td><td valign="top" nowrap="1"> .... </td><td valign="top">overseas animation supervisor (19 episodes, 2005-2007)</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Nic Camecho (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2007904/)</td><td valign="top" nowrap="1"> .... </td><td valign="top">overseas animation supervisor (25 episodes, 1999-2002)</td></tr></tbody></table>
I am sorry but thats kind of WRONG. These guys call themselves animators but they aren't. They just farm out the hard work to others and they take 100% credit.

Simpsons does this too. Just wrong.

Ultra Peanut
05-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Maybe the same thing can happen to Arrested Development.Seeing as it's not a cartoon and even more expensive than Family Guy, probably not.

MaxFects
05-07-2008, 01:02 AM
You know what? The Simpsons are still going strong too. And their new episodes are way better than Family Guy's new episodes.

You had something, but then you lost it

Thig Lyfe
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
He's referring to the fact that Carlos Mencia rips off other comedians material much in the same way Family Guy rips off other shows.. It has nothing to do with how funny he is or isn't, he's a thief.

Well, both Carlos Mencia and Family Guy are affronts to comedy, so...

The comparison is warranted either way.

Thig Lyfe
05-07-2008, 01:15 AM
ROFL That's ****ed.

Why? They were fine when I watched them the first one or two times, but now I can't even stand to watch an episode from the "good seasons". It's just old and worn out. That means it holds absolutely no replay value and is thus shit.

Meanwhile, Arrested Development, The Office, 30 Rock, Futurama, The Simpsons, etc. are in frequent rotation on my DVD player. That's because they're actually well-written and don't rely on cheap gags every five seconds with no relation to the plot. Sure, some of the gags were funny for the first time (emphasis on some, because if any show defines "hit-and-miss", it's Family Guy) but they really get tiresome and even intellectually insulting with upon further viewing.

And don't come at me with "I don't watch TV to be intellectually stimulated blah blah blahhhh" as if that's a good thing. Television has the potential to be more than a box that fries brains. But bullshit like Family Guy insists on keeping television at its dumbest. Hooray for stupidity.

DaKCMan AP
05-07-2008, 05:43 AM
South Park >>>> Family Guy

Especially the episodes after the hiatus. All recent Family Guy episodes have been lame.

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 05:58 AM
This is better than the time I drove the General Lee with Gary Coleman!!!

Demonpenz
05-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I won't get into comedy snobdom but i like stewie and the dog brian but the rest i can't stand most the time. Has there ever been a episode that made you tear up. The simpsons for it's stuff has some episodes where i am like wow. The episdode where Homer keeps getting asked why he works and why he keeps getting asked why he works and then at the end he has a bulliton board with maggie's pictures and it says "for her" oh man. i got something in my eye just thinking about it

MTG#10
05-07-2008, 09:13 AM
WTF?!?! Are you serious?

Not to mention the Simpsons now are in no way even remotely close to as good as the Simpsons 10-15 years ago. Partially because writers for that show have moved on to better things (Conan OBrien and Greg Daniels "The Office")

Macfarlane adopted the flashback comedy.....big deal. It's not the first time it's happened. Family Guy just takes it to a different level I think.

I meant Carlos Mencia is a plagiarizer too, thats why I compared them. Are you denying that MacFarlane plagiarizes The Simpsons?

Brock
05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Meanwhile, Arrested Development, The Office, 30 Rock, Futurama, The Simpsons, etc. are in frequent rotation on my DVD player. That's because they're actually well-written and don't rely on cheap gags every five seconds with no relation to the plot. Sure, some of the gags were funny for the first time (emphasis on some, because if any show defines "hit-and-miss", it's Family Guy) but they really get tiresome and even intellectually insulting with upon further viewing.

I like all of those shows too. I love how people present things as a clear, significant either/or discussion, especially when they're talking about stupid pop culture bullshit.

J Diddy
05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I meant Carlos Mencia is a plagiarizer too, thats why I compared them. Are you denying that MacFarlane plagiarizes The Simpsons?

id like to know how you draw that conclusion

MTG#10
05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
id like to know how you draw that conclusion

There use to be a few of these on youtube with even more examples but this is the only one I can find right now.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK3QI82FuFE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK3QI82FuFE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pitt Gorilla
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I like all of those shows too. I love how people present things as a clear, significant either/or discussion, especially when they're talking about stupid pop culture bullshit.Good point. Those shows are quite good but that doesn't preclude me from liking Family Guy as well.