PDA

View Full Version : Football Big 12 North better than Big 12 South?

Lzen
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
What say you?

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/may/07/sorrentino_north_making_strides/?sports_columns

Sorrentino: North making strides

By Eric Sorrentino (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/eric_sorrentino/)
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Comparing the Big 12 North football division to the Big 12 South division a few years ago used to be like comparing the NBA Eastern Conference to the Western Conference.
It never really took much thought. The answer was more obvious than a question on one of Jim Harrickís basketball exams at the University of Georgia.
Nowadays, itís different. There has been a shift of power in the last year in the Big 12. Thanks to a recent trend, the following statement next fall wonít sound as senseless as it did just two years ago: The Big 12 North is a superior division to the Big 12 South.
Crazy? Thanks to Kansas and Missouri, not so crazy anymore.
Consider that last year was the first time in nine years the Big 12 North won more head-to-head battles against the Big 12 South. The North went 10-8 against the South in 18 regular-season games.
Kansas and Missouri, both 7-1 in 2007, brought the North to a level not seen in the division since 1999, when K-State and Nebraska both were 7-1 in the conference.
Thereís no reason the Big 12 Northís supremacy should last just one year. Looking ahead to 2008, itís not out of the question for the North to trump the South again.
Missouri, which represented the North in the 2007 Big 12 Championship game, will have expectations to get back there. Everyone knows about 2007 Heisman finalist Chase Daniel, but what will make the Tigers a likely preseason Top-10 team is what will return around Daniel: home run threat wide receiver/special teams returner Jeremy Maclin and running/receiving threat Derrick Washington, the tailback. Furthermore, Missouri will return 10 starters on defense.
Kansas could start the year near the Top 10 as well. KU returns Todd Reesing and will surround him with a plethora of weapons, including running backs Jake Sharp and Jocques Crawford, who led all junior-college running backs with 1,935 rushing yards last year. Reesing loses Marcus Henry from the receiving corps, but will return Dezmon Briscoe, Dexton Fields and Kerry Meier. The KU defense is experienced, particularly in the secondary and at linebacker.
Nebraska has to be better than last year, when it went 2-6 in the Big 12 and gave up 37.9 points per game. First-year coach Bo Pelini, who was the defensive coordinator for LSUís championship team last season, should help.
Colorado, after a 4-4 conference season, also should be on the rise. Freshman running back Darrell Scott, one of the top recruits in the nation, should take pressure off quarterback Cody Hawkins. CU wonít have to play OU or Texas Tech and drew UT at home.
The shift of power started last season, and it likely wonít be fully recognized until the North wins the Big 12 championship, something it hasnít done in five years. Itís up to these four teams to make it happen.

Lzen
05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
FTR, I still think the North has to win the title for this argument to hold water. However, the record last year was in favor of the North. We will see if teams like CU and NU can improve this year. It also remains to be seen whether KU and MU can maintain their high level of play from last season. ISU is a joke right now and KSU is a big question mark, IMO.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
OU and Texas are still the teams to beat. KU is on the rise and MU has become alot better team, but they are still runner-ups until proven otherwise.

kepp
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
FTR, I still think the North has to win the title for this argument to hold water. However, the record last year was in favor of the North. We will see if teams like CU and NU can improve this year. It also remains to be seen whether KU and MU can maintain their high level of play from last season. ISU is a joke right now and KSU is a big question mark, IMO.

Agreed. Until a North team wins the conference the South is still better.

ChiTown
05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
One team to watch out for in the North is the Buff's. Hawkins is really doing a great job with recruiting. I think they could be a real surprise team this year.

Frazod
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Agreed. Until a North team wins the conference the South is still better.

Yes. Gotta get that monkey off our backs.

duncan_idaho
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
One team to watch out for in the North is the Buff's. Hawkins is really doing a great job with recruiting. I think they could be a real surprise team this year.

Their schedule is brutal, though... at Missouri and kansas and Nebraska.

2009 is the year the Buffs make the move, unless (edit: CODY) Hawkins can't get it done at QB...

bkkcoh
05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes. Gotta get that monkey off our backs.

Just like MU beating OU or Texas......

CoMoChief
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
The correct answer to this argument is that there are more better North teams than South teams, however the 2 best South teams are better than any of the North teams. (OU and TX).

But I would bet that last season MU was better than TX.

Pitt Gorilla
05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
The correct answer to this argument is that there are more better North teams than South teams, however the 2 best South teams are better than any of the North teams. (OU and TX).

But I would bet that last season MU was better than TX.I think MU is better than Texas this year. However, OU is still the best in the conference until someone proves otherwise.

Extra Point
05-07-2008, 12:27 PM
MU and KU are helped greatly: their QBs are from Texas, aren't they? The barometer is the B12N conference wins against Mack Brown and TX, with OU a close second. OU is tough, but the TX games seem tougher. OSU has gotten better over the years, but so have MU and KU. I'm hopeful that Pelini has a great season ahead.

RustShack
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Go Cyclones!

Pitt Gorilla
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Go Cyclones!I watched UNI dominate the Cyclones last year. I can't imagine they will have improved enough to win much of anything in the Big 12 this year.

ISUJeff
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I watched UNI dominate the Cyclones last year. I can't imagine they will have improved enough to win much of anything in the Big 12 this year.

By the end of the year they beat KSU and Colorado, and were very competitive with OK and decent against MU. They showed improvement, but when you're down that far, it's like saying the Chiefs can only get better this year.

ChiTown
05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
By the end of the year they beat KSU and Colorado, and were very competitive with OK and decent against MU. They showed improvement, but when you're down that far, it's like saying the Chiefs can only get better this year.

I wouldn't use beating KSU in Ames as ANY kind of measuring stick. They were just on the other side of suck........

ISUJeff
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't use beating KSU in Ames as ANY kind of measuring stick. They were just on the other side of suck........

I'm just happy when they beat anybody