PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Watched Richardson and Cottom in the Senior Bowl last night.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I got to say I was not sure what to expect with Richardson. He played LT the whole time. And most of that time he was lined up against Ellis from Virginia Tech. I thought he did a pretty fair job against Ellis, considering I saw Ellis simply destroy the Boston College offensive line a few weeks ago on a VT/BC replay on ESPNU. He contained him pretty well on the pass rush. But where Richardson really stood out IMO was on the run blocking. He had a push on the defensive line... or got a block on the second level nearly every single time. The only times he really didn't make positive contact in the running game was quick plays to the right side where he had to run across the field and try and get to a LB who was already in pursuit. I think he has a chance to help this team, and looks like a very good pick for the 6th round.

Cottom was lined up on the right side most of the time. He did a nice job of sealing the running lanes by blocking his man to the outside. And on straight ahead blocking, he held his own at the very least, and had a bit of a push on most of those plays. He also caught a TD pass on a crossing route. Looked pretty fast getting off of the line on passing plays, and on the TD reception.

Those were the only two players I know of that were in the game that are on our roster now. And from what I saw, I would give them both a :thumb:'s up.

Fish
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I saw Cottam's reception. He's never going to be a star in the NFL but he should be a great weapon for a long time.

Richardson I thought performed lousy at the Senior Bowl, but you're right on the runblocking. Dude just bowls DEs over.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Richardson I thought performed lousy at the Senior Bowl, but you're right on the runblocking. Dude just bowls DEs over.

I saw Ellis work over Cherilus just as bad if not worse than he did Richardson. And again, Richardson was LT in the Senior Bowl. The speed rush was pretty tough for him, but he excelled at the run blocking. I can see where he would be pretty good as a RG.

Mr. Laz
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
sounds like richardson could be a right tackle or guard

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I saw Ellis work over Cherilus just as bad if not worse than he did Richardson. And again, Richardson was LT in the Senior Bowl. The speed rush was pretty tough for him, but he excelled at the run blocking. I can see where he would be pretty good as a RG.
It's been a while since I saw it, but I do remember Richardson getting smoked for a sack.

But Richardson's not an LT by trade. His skill set makes him a solid-to-potentially-great RT.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Maybe. The speed rush might worry me a bit from the right side as well on the RT gig.

Spicy McHaggis
05-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Most definitely. I'm glad to hear he looked good in the game run-blocking, some reports said he lacked the nastiness to excel at it.

Thanks for the info, Coogs

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Herm said Richardson is a RT (810 interview--probably available via podcast on 810's website), so I wouldn't worry about him on the left side of the line.

Brock
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
They needed a RT more than a LT.

Pestilence
05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Herm said Richardson is a RT (810 interview--probably available via podcast on 810's website), so I wouldn't worry about him on the left side of the line.

So does that mean that McIntosh is done?

Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Richardson

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 10:57 AM

I don't think Albert is the day 1 LT. I could be wrong, but I think that he or Richardson will be at guard, and this is assuming that Richardson starts the opening game, which is far from a certainty. If he's on the bench, I'd guess that Albert might start at RT, at least at the beginning of the season, to get his feet wet.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Taylor/Richardson

Coogs
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM

:thumb:

Chiefnj2
05-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Two rookie "tackles" week one against the Pats? What's the record for # of sacks given up in a single game?

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Two rookie "tackles" week one against the Pats? What's the record for # of sacks given up in a single game?
****ing bring it.

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Why does everyone think a 6th rounder can be a day one starting RT? He might develop, but if Richardson were ready to play tackle now in the NFL, he would have been a day-one pick.

Pestilence
05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Why does everyone think a 6th rounder can be a day one starting RT? He might develop, but if Richardson were ready to play tackle now in the NFL, he would have been a day-one pick.

Have you seen our line? With the talent level that we have....he could probably start from Day 1 and be instantly better than anything we had last year at the RT spot.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Richardson has Day One measurables. He's got the size, speed, technique, and durability.

He's been criticized for not having his head in the game, though. With Herm at the helm, that probably could easily dissipate.

The Chiefs could have got a major steal with Richardson.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 11:20 AM

If we use the same game plan we used against the Colts last season, we will probably only pass 7 or 8 times anyway.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Have you seen our line? With the talent level that we have....he could probably start from Day 1 and be instantly better than anything we had last year at the RT spot.
Not to mention he's capable of playing 16 games.

Guy played 45 games at Clemson.

Count Alex's Wins
05-08-2008, 11:22 AM
We interviewed Herm, Bill and Chuck about all the draftees. The one thing they all said about Barry Richardson was what a force he was in run blocking, driving guys off the ball. He's apparently a real road grader and fits the kind of lineman Chan Gailey wants - absolute ****ing beasts of men with strength to match their size.

Me likey.

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM

Unfortunately, yes.

I think it's more likely that Albert is at RT and Richardson is at guard. McIntosh isn't the worst lineman in the league. He's not the long-term answer, but...

ChiefGator
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Big Mac/Richardson

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
The Chiefs could have got a major steal with Richardson.

I hope this ends up being the case.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
We interviewed Herm, Bill and Chuck about all the draftees. The one thing they all said about Barry Richardson was what a force he was in run blocking, driving guys off the ball. He's apparently a real road grader

That is what I saw in this one game. Keep in mind he only played one half of that game, so that is a very small sample space, but he was moving the d-line backwards on nearly all of the running plays.

Now I would expect to see the guys we have back with a year or two on NFL experience(Taylor, Niswanger, Stallings... is he still on the team?) be able to do at least that if lined up against college players like Richardson was going against in the Senior Bowl, but at least Richardson was moving them back. Not all of his teammates were able to do that from what I saw.

aturnis
05-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Why is everyone penciling Smith in as starting center? Did I miss something?

milkman
05-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't think Albert is the day 1 LT. I could be wrong, but I think that he or Richardson will be at guard, and this is assuming that Richardson starts the opening game, which is far from a certainty. If he's on the bench, I'd guess that Albert might start at RT, at least at the beginning of the season, to get his feet wet.

I disagree.

I think Albert owns the LT postion from the minute TC starts.

And I agree with Direcskshun's line.

If McIntosh isn't the LT (and he won't be), then he doesn't start anywhere else on the line, cause he sucks ass as a RT, and is only marginally better at guard.

milkman
05-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Why is everyone penciling Smith in as starting center? Did I miss something?

Because they think that Niswanger did a pretty good job at guard,they are afraid of seeing a young center, and don't believe that there's anyone to man the RG spot, even though Herb Taylor actually played pretty well in his opportunity at LT, and should be able to man down the RG spot nicely.

Count Alex's Wins
05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Because they think that Niswanger did a pretty good job at guard,they are afraid of seeing a young center, and don't believe that there's anyone to man the RG spot, even though Herb Taylor actually played pretty well in his opportunity at LT, and should be able to man down the RG spot nicely.

The short answer is people are ignorant.

Herm said weeks ago Niswanger was the starting center.

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I disagree.

I think Albert owns the LT postion from the minute TC starts.

And I agree with Direcskshun's line.

If McIntosh isn't the LT (and he won't be), then he doesn't start anywhere else on the line, cause he sucks ass as a RT, and is only marginally better at guard.

Well, I hope you're right. I'd much prefer 15th overall pick to be a LT. All I'm saying is that this is asking a lot of any rookie, particularly one who wasn't the first lineman taken, or even a particularly experienced LT at the college level.

milkman
05-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, I hope you're right. I'd much prefer 15th overall pick to be a LT. All I'm saying is that this is asking a lot of any rookie, particularly one who wasn't the first lineman taken, or even a particularly experienced LT at the college level.

Here's the thing.

Aside from the fact that I believe he, along with Williams, is going to be better than any other LT drafted this year, we are rebuilding.

Why hold off on the transition?

Let him get his feet wet.

My money says his struggles are minimal.

smittysbar
05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
good read, thanks for the info

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Here's the thing.

Aside from the fact that I believe he, along with Williams, is going to be better than any other LT drafted this year, we are rebuilding.

Why hold off on the transition?

Let him get his feet wet.

My money says his struggles are minimal.

If Herm thinks he has the mental toughness to deal with the frustration of learning a new position at a higher level and the subsequent failure that will certainly follow, I agree. Put him out there. He's probably our best o-lineman right now.

He's a rook on a number of different levels though, and I wonder if this might lead to Croyle's death in NE? Not really joking. By mid to late season, however, I think Albert will be the LT and be doing just fine.

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-08-2008, 09:03 PM

honestly, rookies or not it cant get any more pathetic than will svitek at LT and scrub vets turley and terry on the right side...i'll take rooks any day over those turds.

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
i really like the sound of the line of albert, waters, niswanger, taylor, and richardson
sure there will be some growing pains, but it's better than the crap we saw out of the "vets" last year. mcintosh can be a backup at left tackle for all i care.

milkman
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
If Herm thinks he has the mental toughness to deal with the frustration of learning a new position at a higher level and the subsequent failure that will certainly follow, I agree. Put him out there. He's probably our best o-lineman right now.

He's a rook on a number of different levels though, and I wonder if this might lead to Croyle's death in NE? Not really joking. By mid to late season, however, I think Albert will be the LT and be doing just fine.

I would start the transition day one of mini camps.

Give him 75-80% of reps at LT in mini and TC, play him for at least a half in each of the pre-season agmes, except the 3rd, in which he'll be out there into the third qtr, and by the start of the season he'll be good to go.

He has the athleticism and agility to make the transition smoothly.

DeezNutz
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I would start the transition day one of mini camps.

Give him 75-80% of reps at LT in mini and TC, play him for at least a half in each of the pre-season agmes, except the 3rd, in which he'll be out there into the third qtr, and by the start of the season he'll be good to go.

He has the athleticism and agility to make the transition smoothly.

You're right that pre-season is going to be critical for Albert. Maybe more so for him than anyone else on the team. Of course this all assumes that he gets into camp relatively on time. Any takers on that? I think he will because Clark's being more proactive and I don't think he's going to take any shit from Carl to save a tiny bit of scratch.

It would kick ass to see Albert become a cornerstone for the offense.

POND_OF_RED
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Sounds like a great fit for RG....and I still would have rather taken Rucker! :harumph: :mizzou:

Rain Man
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Those guys shouldn't be playing in college games after they've been drafted.

Coogs
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Those guys shouldn't be playing in college games after they've been drafted.

TIVO, dude, TIVO! :D