PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pick your OL of choice.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm not even kidding. I typed out a few OL theories for this team in 2008, and I came up with no less than 17 conceivable options. We have no idea what this OL is going to look like in 2008 -- and that's just the starters. Who the hell knows what our depth is going to look like...

Anyway, I'll list them in a poll. Select the one you like or create your own.

Options to soon arrive. Everything is from LT to RT.

Pestilence
05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson/McIntosh

talastan
05-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Ditto!! This would be a BIG O-line to field. Not to mention pretty athletic IMO :)

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson/Taylor

I think Herb is going to surprise some people this year, and I absolutely LOVE Niswanger at center. He's big (6-4, 300), smart (4.0 GPA), athletic and another fine LSU product.

beach tribe
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Yup.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't know why people think McIntosh would make such a good runblocker.

StcChief
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
start of 2008...

McIntosh/Albert/Waters/Rudy/Richardson

Hoover
05-08-2008, 10:45 AM

I like this line but I don't know if Richardson can be expected to jump right in.

So I voted for Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/McIntosh

Chiefnj2
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Week One:

McIntosh/Richardson/Niswanger/Waters/Albert

That at least gives you one experienced player on each side of the line. I wouldn't stick a guy with only 2 collegiate starts at LOT at LOT in the NFL without a year of experience under his belt.

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Week One:

McIntosh/Richardson/Niswanger/Waters/Albert

That at least gives you one experienced player on each side of the line. I wouldn't stick a guy with only 2 collegiate starts at LOT at LOT in the NFL without a year of experience under his belt.

I don't see the point of starting Albert anywhere BUT LT. We're not going to the Super Bowl this year. Stick Albert at left tackle and let him get the growing pains out of the way - if he even has any.

Waters is a left guard, BTW. Not RG.

POND_OF_RED
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson/Svitek

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Richardson/Svitek

Dark horse! That would be a hell of a run-blocking line. Svitek can move a guy off the ball for sure.

Micjones
05-08-2008, 11:09 AM

I like this line but I don't know if Richardson can be expected to jump right in.

So I voted for Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/McIntosh

That's my ideal line. I think Niswanger can be a really good Guard.

Chiefnj2
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't see the point of starting Albert anywhere BUT LT. We're not going to the Super Bowl this year. Stick Albert at left tackle and let him get the growing pains out of the way - if he even has any.

Waters is a left guard, BTW. Not RG.

Waters is moved in my scenario because I want one experienced player on each side of the line.

Can you name any rookie LOT that got the start in week 1 after playing the position less than 3 times in college?

el borracho
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Taylor/Richardson

although I could see flipping Taylor and Richardson

suds79
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM

I don't think asking a rookie (all be it a low rounder) to play Guard is asking too much.

We stink. He's shielded by two other players. Throw the giant out there and let him maul guys.

CoMoChief
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM

I think Herb is going to surprise some people this year, and I absolutely LOVE Niswanger at center. He's big (6-4, 300), smart (4.0 GPA), athletic and another fine LSU product.

And folks what does a GPA have anything to do with football????

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM

You think you can be dumb and play center in the NFL?

tooge
05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I liked Herb Taylor at his very limited time at Left tackle last year as a rook. I think He gave up like 2 sacks his entire time (4 years at TCU). However, he is probably better suited for guard or RT. Richardson is a mauler, and he is very smart. He graduated in 3 years. Ideal for either guard spot. Therefore, to me, the entire line is really determined by the center if you assume Albert will be the LT which we must, being he is gonna make too much money to be anything else. So, if Rudy can hold down center, then I think by week 8 or so, it looks like this:
LT Albert
LG Waters
C Nieswanger
RG Richardson
RT Taylor

If Rudy cant hold down center in camp, then waters becomes the center and rudy goes to guard. I think there is starting to be some decent depth on this line if Rudy and Albert pan out.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I liked Herb Taylor at his very limited time at Left tackle last year as a rook. I think He gave up like 2 sacks his entire time (4 years at TCU). However, he is probably better suited for guard or RT. Richardson is a mauler, and he is very smart. He graduated in 3 years. Ideal for either guard spot. Therefore, to me, the entire line is really determined by the center if you assume Albert will be the LT which we must, being he is gonna make too much money to be anything else. So, if Rudy can hold down center, then I think by week 8 or so, it looks like this:
LT Albert
LG Waters
C Nieswanger
RG Richardson
RT Taylor

This was my vote, pretty much for these same reasons. If this works out, our line would be pretty well set until Waters decides to hang it up.

Coogs
05-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Does anyone here know how Stallings is progressing?

Hoover
05-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Wrong, your center is the one who calls out the protections. Rudy has great size and is smart, I have high hopes

Sfeihc
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Taylor

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I dont get the moving of McIntosh to guard and right tackle. Miami and San Diego tried that and he failed. That being said here is the line I want to see.

Albert
Waters
Rudy
Taylor
Richardson

We dont to be putting stop gap free agents in there, let our young guys gel during training camp, get plenty of reps. McIntosh, Wade Smtih, Adrian Jones etc should only be used in case one of the young guys get hurt.

John_Wayne
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson

Coogs
05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Albert/Waters/Niswanger/McIntosh/Richardson

Both our guards would be 31 under this scenario, which isn't old by any means. But I would rather see our younger guys step up and claim these spots so we don't have to refill them in a two or three years.

cdcox
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I see Waters, Niswanger and Albert as permenant starters. I still think we need to find or develop 2 more starters. So this is still a stop-gap transition year for the line. I still want to put the best line possible on the field to have a prayer of objectively evaluating Croyle. With that in mind the best bet at OL is one not listed:

McIntosh/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Albert

This is the only line up that puts our best/most experienced 5 OL on the field in positions where they could succeed.

McIntosh is an adequate LT, but has failed everytime he's been moved to a different position. He's a decent pass blocker, but a sub-par run blocker. It's LT or nothing for him.

I don't think it is realistic to expect a late round rookie to come in and be effective as a starter on day one. Richardson sees some duty this year, but not as a day one starter.

I'd rather have Niswanger at C this year, but need to get Smith on the field due to a lack of bodies. So it's Smith at C and Niswanger at G.

Albert plays RT this year. Maybe move to LT next year once we don't have to use McIntosh at LT just to get enough bodies on the field.

If Herb Taylor can win a starting job, I'm all for it. I'd go with the stronger of these lineups:

Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Taylor

McIntosh/Waters/Niswanger/Albert/Taylor

If by miricle Taylor and Richardson both WIN starting jobs then we could go with our best POTENTIAL line (due to lack of development, I don't think it would be our best ACTUAL line):

tmax63
05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I could see BA getting his feet wet at RT his first year.
Mac/Waters/Nis/Rich or Tayler/Albert

Mr. Laz
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
i haven't seen jack from herb taylor ...... he's just another Chief's myth until i actually see something.

actually the same goes for Niswanger ... but we don't really have a choice at this point

FAX
05-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I see Waters, Niswanger and Albert as permenant starters. I still think we need to find or develop 2 more starters. So this is still a stop-gap transition year for the line. I still want to put the best line possible on the field to have a prayer of objectively evaluating Croyle. With that in mind the best bet at OL is one not listed:

McIntosh/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Albert

This is the only line up that puts our best/most experienced 5 OL on the field in positions where they could succeed.

McIntosh is an adequate LT, but has failed everytime he's been moved to a different position. He's a decent pass blocker, but a sub-par run blocker. It's LT or nothing for him.

I don't think it is realistic to expect a late round rookie to come in and be effective as a starter on day one. Richardson sees some duty this year, but not as a day one starter.

I'd rather have Niswanger at C this year, but need to get Smith on the field due to a lack of bodies. So it's Smith at C and Niswanger at G.

Albert plays RT this year. Maybe move to LT next year once we don't have to use McIntosh at LT just to get enough bodies on the field.

If Herb Taylor can win a starting job, I'm all for it. I'd go with the stronger of these lineups:

Albert/Waters/Smith/Niswanger/Taylor

McIntosh/Waters/Niswanger/Albert/Taylor

If by miricle Taylor and Richardson both WIN starting jobs then we could go with our best POTENTIAL line (due to lack of development, I don't think it would be our best ACTUAL line):

Makes sense ... however, Niswanger (sp?) is still a question mark, as well, is he not? And when is Svitek going to come along? What a mess.

Still ... a finer mess than we had last year.

FAX

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 06:35 PM
i haven't seen jack from herb taylor ...... he's just another Chief's myth until i actually see something.

Watch the Detroit game.

actually the same goes for Niswanger

Watch the Oakland game.

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2008, 06:39 PM

actually the same goes for Niswanger ... but we don't really have a choice at this point

Go rewatch the Lions and Jets game for Taylor. He looked pretty good. And for Rudy go rewatch the November games.

FAX
05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I need to pull those games and watch them, however painful that may be. All I can remember from last year's line play are all the quarterback pressures, sacks, running plays for negative yards, and the chugging of countless margaritas to counter the sickeningly evil taste of bile in my throat.

FAX

Count Zarth
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I need to pull those games and watch them, however painful that may be. All I can remember from last year's line play are all the quarterback pressures, sacks, running plays for negative yards, and the chugging of countless margaritas to counter the sickeningly evil taste of bile in my throat.

FAX

Detroit and Oakland = two of our better offensive games. We ran the Raiders the **** over, except when it counted. If memory serves they had slow-footed Welbourn pulling on that ill-fated 4th and 1. If they had been smart enough to put Niswanger in...well, maybe it turns out differently.

FAX
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
God. One can only shake one's head.

I can't believe that Welbourn was even suited up for an NFL team. Not to mention that other over-the-hill hack whose name I have mercifully forgotten.

FAX

Easy 6
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I went with option A, much of that being based on pure wishing & hoping.

The only thing that i'm 100% sure of...is that the new line will be significantly better than 07's.