PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink BBQ sides... need some coleslaw & potato salad

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
OK, so I'm not a coleslaw or potato salad kinda guy... I'm doing a BBQ for work next weekend and I'm going to need a kick ass coleslaw and potato salad.

Any great recipes from the guys who know Q the best?

sedated
05-08-2008, 11:31 AM
huh?

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 11:35 AM
What's the question?

Baby Lee
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Stuffed Baked Potato salad is teh yummeh

15 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
Salt and pepper to taste

blueballs
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
If you'll be outside
and it's breezy
go with beans

StcChief
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
wanna little kick... try a Jalepeno Coleslaw... NO MAYO or SUGAR

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/04/11/jalapenocoleslawnomayonos220110.html

tyton75
05-08-2008, 11:42 AM
if you are already going to have the Que going... slice up some potatoes, put the slices in aluminum foil with a lot of butter, some onions (if you like them) and just about whatever else you might like..

then wrap it in the foil and throw it on the Q... you'll like the result :)

Mr. Kotter
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Jambalaya.....Phobia's recipe is da shit. :thumb:

I also like corn on the cob, onion rings, sweet potatoe fries, fried pickles, and BBQ baked beans with burnt ends tossed in.

:drool:

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
If you'll be outside
and it's breezy
go with beans

Yeah... that's why I said "coleslaw & potato salad".

Already planning on beans, and if you've read my BBQ threads before, you already know I have a very high opinion of my beans. Got that part covered.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
if you are already going to have the Que going... slice up some potatoes, put the slices in aluminum foil with a lot of butter, some onions (if you like them) and just about whatever else you might like..

I've done that before... but the smoker will be full with the brisket and pork butt I'm doing.

Hog Farmer
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Potato salad recipe........

1) Take potatoes and runn through a blender
2) Put blender in sink and run hot water in to blender until it is overflowing and all the potatoes have washed down the drain.
3) Put two large pork loins on grill
4) Cook loins until tender
5) Enjoy!

Whoarethechefs
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
My world famous Papasalad, enjoy =)

5 lbs Papas (I prefer red) Boiled - chopped
3-4 celery stalks chopped
Half Onion chopped (again, I prefer red)
1 cup sweet pickle relish
7 eggs boiled chopped
cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish w/ paprika

kepp
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Try some grilled cabbage. Just cut a head of cabbage in quarters and wrap each piece in foil along with a generous portion of butter. Put on the grill alongside your other fixings. It's good and you could probably spice it up a bit with things other than just butter.

chasedude
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Jambalaya.....Phobia's recipe is da shit. :thumb:

I also like corn on the cob, onion rings, sweet potatoe fries, fried pickles, and BBQ baked beans with burnt ends tossed in.

:drool:

Hell yeah Sweet Potato fries are great, I love Sweet Potatos.

MVChiefFan
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Stuffed Baked Potato salad is teh yummeh

15 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
Salt and pepper to taste

Sounds great! Is this best served warm, room temp or chilled like normal potato salad?

Blindside58
05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
1.Go to the nearest major shopping area and find an establishment marked KFC in giant letters.
2.proceed inside to counter.
3. Order a large -"ColeSlaw"
4. Take home and open lid
5. Proceed to eat

StcChief
05-08-2008, 02:10 PM

we call these HOBo potatoes, add onioins, garlic etc to taste

Monty
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
1.Go to the nearest major shopping area and find an establishment marked KFC in giant letters.
2.proceed inside to counter.
3. Order a large -"ColeSlaw"
4. Take home and open lid
5. Proceed to eat

That was going to be my suggestion...it's easy, fast, and allows you to spend more time on the main course, which is the most important part IMO.

Monty
05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
On second thought, if you really want to keep 'em guessing, but the KFC slaw in a different container before serving. :)

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
That was going to be my suggestion...it's easy, fast, and allows you to spend more time on the main course, which is the most important part IMO.

Nope. You can't do that when you're making everything else yourself. Can't cop out like that.

But seriously... you guys may not realize if you're not barbecuers (there's a big difference, BTW, between BBQ and grilling) that if I'm smoking a brisket it's going to be 13 hours of one-hour to 90-minute waits between doing anything. I'll get the smoke rolling, then I'll put the meat on, and I won't touch it for an hour.

Doing something like homemade potato salad and coleslaw will actually give me something to do during the down time.

But more importantly, reference my first paragraph. I don't want to take shortcuts. I don't want to put sub-par side dishes together with great Q and the best BBQ beans on the east coast.

jjchieffan
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Already planning on beans, and if you've read my BBQ threads before, you already know I have a very high opinion of my beans. Got that part covered.

I can't remember reading any of your BBQ posts, but I have found that best bbq sauce to use to make the beans is Gates. I used KC Masterpiece for years in my beans. I also use it for my wifes BBQ because she doesn't care for Gates. One day I barely had enough Masterpiece for her meat, and was to hungry to take the time to go to the store, so used the Gates. Best beans I ever had.

sedated
05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
it's going to be 13 hours of one-hour to 90-minute waits between doing anything. Doing something like homemade potato salad and coleslaw will actually give me something to do during the down time.

that's what the booze is for

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I can't remember reading any of your BBQ posts, but I have found that best bbq sauce to use to make the beans is Gates. I used KC Masterpiece for years in my beans. I also use it for my wifes BBQ because she doesn't care for Gates. One day I barely had enough Masterpiece for her meat, and was to hungry to take the time to go to the store, so used the Gates. Best beans I ever had.

I make my own sauce that kicks Gates' ass.

And IMHO, KC Masterpiece is the BBQ sauce of Satan himself.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
that's what the booze is for

Yup.

Truth be told, I will likely make the coleslaw and the potato salad the night before... give it time to let the flavors marry.

StcChief
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM

And IMHO, KC Masterpiece is the BBQ sauce of Satan himself.your opinion on Auther Bryant's Original Sauce....?

cdcox
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
My wife makes very good potato salad. This is a very basic recipie, but it goes well with Q and she always get's compliments when she makes it. The only draw back is that it isn't done by measure.

Peel red potatoes and boil till done. Dice to 1/2" cubes.

Add finely chopped eggs.

Add miracle whip.

Add sweet pickle relish.

Add salt.

Mix. Adjust all of above until it's right. You don't want to skimp on the MW. You want enough eggs to give it a decent yellow tint. Relish provides acidity. Salt to taste. Just as a guide, a batch of potato salad that provides 8 or so large servings might require 5 to 6 eggs and 1 cup and a half to 2 cups MW.

Thinly slice several raddishes into the potato salad and mix. This provides color, texture interest, and a subtle kick.

jjchieffan
05-08-2008, 03:16 PM

And IMHO, KC Masterpiece is the BBQ sauce of Satan himself.

I don't think Masterpiece is THAT bad. I will eat it with chicken strips or something like that. As for making my own. I have never tried it. Maybe I can catch you tailgating sometime and sample it.

sedated
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
IMHO, KC Masterpiece is the BBQ sauce of Satan himself.

it has its place.

at the kids table.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
it has its place.

at the kids table.

ROFL

Fried Meat Ball!
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
your opinion on Auther Bryant's Original Sauce....?

It's OK. Actually, not a big fan. Love the meat they make, but the sauce is a little off for me.

I've got my own recipes that I like a lot for sauce and rub. I never buy rubs anymore and rarely buy sauce anymore.

Ari Chi3fs
05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I aint gonna lie... I ****ing LOVE KFC cole slaw. I go there sometimes JUST to get the coleslaw.

donkhater
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm not a big fan of cole slaw usually, especially one that is a vinegar base, but I had one at my brothers wedding rehersal dinner and it was great. Put it right on the pulled pork in the sandwich to give it a great crunch.

Cabbage
Red cabbage
carrots

slice the cabbages thin in the proportions to your liking along with however many carrots you want.

Now for the dressing. Simple to make, simple to remember.

1 part sugar
1 part white vinegar
1 part vegetable oil (canola oil's fine)

whisk together and dress to your liking.

I generally like a little salt added onto mine to tame the sugar and vinegar a bit, but you can't beat this for ease and crunch and it has some good color to boot.

Baby Lee
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Sounds great! Is this best served warm, room temp or chilled like normal potato salad?

That's a great side attribute, since it's mostly things that are in a loaded baked potato, if you serve it could it's a potato salad, if you serve it hot it's aloaded baked potato. I fix a big batch, refrigerate it so I can eat it anytime as a salad, and can still nuke it for a loaded baked potato.