PDA

View Full Version : Computers Video Out From Laptop To HDTV

Donger
05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
The wife wants to use our Samsung 46" LCD with her laptop. It has VGA (?) 15-pin (I think) and S-Video out. I tried the S-Video and while it did display on the Samsung, it looked like crap/fuzzy. The Samsung has a VGA port, too, but I don't have a cable.

What am I doing wrong?

Her laptop is a widescreen and it can do HD resolution, right? Is the S-Video cable limiting the resolution?

Thanks guys.

SithCeNtZ
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
We probably need more information, most notably the laptop graphics card. That is what is probably causing the crap/fuzzy thing. If your graphics card doesn't display in 1920x1280(or whatever the HD resolution is), it is going to look ugly when the tv tries to blow the screen up to fit that size.

CrazyPhuD
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Svideo card is running only 480i/p. It can't run HD resolutions. VGA should be able to run HD resolutions the question is what is the resolution output set to be?

The final option you may have is do you have a DVI output on the laptop? If you do you can get a DVI-HDMI cable that will allow you to connect to the HDMI port on the TV. This should allow HD display.

If you're using Vista and/or maybe XP microsoft is probably not allowing the HD signal to be broadcast over an insecure connection(i.e. VGA). The DVI to HDMI will use HDCP and should run at max resolution...IF...it's the microsoft that's down revving the signal.

Donger
05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Svideo card is running only 480i/p. It can't run HD resolutions. VGA should be able to run HD resolutions the question is what is the resolution output set to be?

The final option you may have is do you have a DVI output on the laptop? If you do you can get a DVI-HDMI cable that will allow you to connect to the HDMI port on the TV. This should allow HD display.

If you're using Vista and/or maybe XP microsoft is probably not allowing the HD signal to be broadcast over an insecure connection(i.e. VGA). The DVI to HDMI will use HDCP and should run at max resolution...IF...it's the microsoft that's down revving the signal.

Looks like her laptop's max resolution is 1280 x 800.

It only has a VGA connector and the S-video ports, no DVI.

Dinny Blues
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
What kind of program were you trying to watch?

Dinny

Donger
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
What kind of program were you trying to watch?

Dinny

None, really. Just what is displayed on her laptop screen. Websites, mostly.

Dinny Blues
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
None, really. Just what is displayed on her laptop screen. Websites, mostly.

Hmmmmm.....

Do you have a large bundle of sage?

Dinny

Donger
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmmmmm.....

Do you have a large bundle of sage?

Dinny

Huh?

Dinny Blues
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Huh?

Take a large bundle of sage and shake it around the exterior walls of the house while chanting something unintelligible.

If you can't think of anything to chant, I bet kcnut can type up something for you.

I don't know where in the hell you're gonna find a large bundle of sage.

Let me know if this doesn't work, I got a backup plan.

Dinny

CrazyPhuD
05-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Looks like her laptop's max resolution is 1280 x 800.

It only has a VGA connector and the S-video ports, no DVI.

Any way you can set the resolution to 1280x720? That is the actual 720p(HDTV) resolution and hopefully should work. Your TV may be getting confused because it's getting too big of a picture.

Donger
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Any way you can set the resolution to 1280x720? That is the actual 720p(HDTV) resolution and hopefully should work. Your TV may be getting confused because it's getting too big of a picture.

I'll try that, thanks. But I'll have to use the VGA cable, not S video, right?

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Use the VGA cable. S-video will only give you 480p.

CrazyPhuD
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM

yep the S-video is only good for standard def TV...not HD. You need to use the VGA cable. You may also find the laptop can display a higher resolution than the screen on it. When you attach a remote monitor, it may show you the ability to display 1920x1080 which is 1080p resolution.

Donger
05-19-2008, 04:17 PM
yep the S-video is only good for standard def TV...not HD. You need to use the VGA cable. You may also find the laptop can display a higher resolution than the screen on it. When you attach a remote monitor, it may show you the ability to display 1920x1080 which is 1080p resolution.

Oh, our Samsung can do 1080p. Can VGA cables really handle HD resolution?

If so, can anyone recommend a source or part number thingy?

Simply Red
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Take a large bundle of sage and shake it around the exterior walls of the house while chanting something unintelligible.

If you can't think of anything to chant, I bet kcnut can type up something for you.

I don't know where in the hell you're gonna find a large bundle of sage.

Let me know if this doesn't work, I got a backup plan.

Dinny

I only do that when my anxiety acts up.

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh, our Samsung can do 1080p. Can VGA cables really handle HD resolution?

If so, can anyone recommend a source or part number thingy?

I recommend this site. I may have a discount code I can give you as well.
http://www.optimization-world.com/products/catid/28.html

Donger
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
I recommend this site. I may have a discount code I can give you as well.
http://www.optimization-world.com/products/catid/28.html

Thanks. $6.99? I was expecting a lot more than that.

QuikSsurfer
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks. $6.99? I was expecting a lot more than that.

I'll find my free shipping coupon when I get back to the house and PM it to you.

Donger
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I'll find my free shipping coupon when I get back to the house and PM it to you.

That's okay. I'm going to pick one up locally. The wife wants it today. Again, my thanks.

DaFace
05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
In terms of the visual look...

S-Video <<<<<<<<<<< VGA < DVI

You'd get the best quality from DVI, but VGA will look fine. It'll look miles better than S-Video, that's for sure.